/drum/

Are there any songs where the tempo doubles twice or more? Bonus points for punk/metal/jazz. Also, drum thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OYCdqMt_N1g
m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kqBX1j7f8
youtube.com/watch?v=CUDWLp1yIWw
youtube.com/watch?v=HlqWP3wGzCg
youtube.com/watch?v=S3Tf1xVgbRI
youtube.com/watch?v=weNJvskSj3k
youtube.com/watch?v=qb38CDQDQOo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=OYCdqMt_N1g

probably not what you're looking for but on this track the bass is in single time (?), the horns are in double time, and then the drums are in triple time.

It's all played together though

Nice. Reminds me of Lonely Woman and Wailing Wail. Got any more like that where the drummer's just burning behind some laidback horns?

>single time (?)
in jazz, it's called double time and in orchestral music it's half time
just fyi

No, because double-time and half-time are both relative to what I'm talking about- I'd call it either normal time or single time.

Half-time would be half as fast as the "normal time" and double-time is twice as fast.

Have you ever played in either jazz group or an orchestra? They're just terms used in their respective settings. Yes, their denotations contradict, but their connotations are the same.

"Single time" is never used in either setting.

Oh shit, I realize I goofed there. I had to re-read that to see what you mean about "single time". My bad. Still, I haven't ever heard that term or seen it written before.

Well then how would you explain the three time feels going on in this track? How would you describe what feel the bass is in?

Still though, "double time" in jazz means the same thing as "half time" in an orchestra.

Right because there's almost never a need to use it. It's not really very often that you have two tempi going on at the same time. Usually the whole ensemble shifts as one to double or half time and if they shift back, it's usually just referred to as a tempo. Hence why I put a question mark after the term- I'm not sure what the correct terminology would be.

The bass is playing in "common time".

Cut time maybe? I've never heard of half time being anything other than half as fast, but being a pianist, I've never played with an orchestra and so I'm much more familiar with jazz terminology.

Common time is a time signature not a rhythmic description

Nah common time just means 4/4. Which the bass IS playing in, but I mean how would you describe it as relative to what time the rest of the ensemble is playing in.

You can just say playing in time. There is no exact term for what you're looking for. No musician would expect one. Just say one instrument is playing in time normally while the other is playing double time

In the song discussed, the bass and horns are playing at tempo together, the drums are double time

>the bass and horns are playing at tempo together
I disagree, if you listen to what the horns are playing you'd typically expect the bass to be walking twice as fast as it is

The bass is laying down quarter notes and the horns never go more than 16th notes, mainly eight notes and triplets except for the occasional run (and the solo around 3:00, but that's the sax matching the drums and being showy). They're playing at tempo together

Cut time and common time are just for notation and don't affect the tempo. Half time is slower and double time is faster than the established tempo.

>Cut time and common time are just for notation
AKA time signatures. "Cut time" is mainly for old marches (means 2/2). Common time is an old timey way of saying 4/4
>Half time is slower and double time is faster than the established tempo
Correct

From the liner notes

This is interesting because I wonder which downbeats each musician was really "feeling". Reminds me of this video:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kqBX1j7f8

He's obviously more talented than me so I'll take his word for it, but the bass is supposed to cement the groove so when people listen they assume the bass's tempo is the actual tempo of the song. Having the rhythm section both playing above tempo and then having the horns play what they want just makes the song sound fast, not necessarily rhythmically layered -- the 1-2-3 thing doesn't translate. I genuinely don't think the song comes across the way they wanted it to. Also considering how fast the drums are, I would be shocked if they could even play it live

I agree with you actually. But I would bet that they played it "live" in the studio. It might have taken a couple takes but they didn't really overdub shit back then, especially on jazz records.

neu! makes me wanna pick up drums

i expected to hate this
but i didnt.

id actually call the bass doing 8th.
the horns are a s slower feel above it, really a half-ish time swing.
the drums i would properly call CUT TIME against the bass, hotly fucking swung.

adds up to what this bozo said and god i hate to admit it
but im using accurate language that musicians can understand.

you guys dont listen to enough jazz
those cats are rockets.

you could probably consider some zach hill phrasing as doubling and then doubling again when hes like rolling 64ths.
there must be some slayer esque tunes that do that as well

yeah like this
youtube.com/watch?v=CUDWLp1yIWw

tots not as cool as

actually, bozo is wrong: horns are half, drums double.

drum bump
drump
drumpf

DID YOU SAY FAST
youtube.com/watch?v=HlqWP3wGzCg

youtube.com/watch?v=S3Tf1xVgbRI

youtube.com/watch?v=weNJvskSj3k

youtube.com/watch?v=qb38CDQDQOo