Why does no-one remember Zappa?

Why does no-one remember Zappa?

I was born in the 90's my dad told me about goin' to his concerts, buying me the Strictly Commercial CD an I feel like no-one in the Millennial Gen know about him?!

To my ears; It's a crime against humanity!

today in my astronomy class my professor mentioned frank zappa had a comet named after him and that "Everyone should listen to frank zappa"

True

I too enjoy shoving pudding in my pores.

Zappa has no hits.
Anyone vaguely into music will know him, but as far as entry level rock, he's no Pink Floyd or Queen, or even Tool in terms of recognizable songs.

Well, his own damn fault for not putting out some sorta radio friendly unironically dumb hard rock to keep something on the radio...he'll have to be the type of artist that's "discovered" by subsequent generations

Because he never had a hit song.

>Has no hits

He had hits for the underground movement! Sure he wasn't in with the popular movement that waws his agenda you soviet-lovin fag

>what is bobby brown?

>what is bobby brown?
Only a hit in Europe.

Why does no-one remember Led Zeppelin?

No one in my class even knows "Stairway to Heaven"!

I literally don't know, because it's not a hit.

OP here anyone who appreciates rock will know of Frank (hopefully).

And anyone that's as dedicated as I am to his music would know that he was against the music industry before MTV even came about and that he was a true musical rock composer. He may not have written every piece but he sure as hell studied the fuck out of all the instruments that ended up in his music!

cause theyre trash

wtf everyone knows about zappa

>He may not have written every piece
He did, though.

The only Zappa song I've heard that I liked was Uncle Remus. Where do I go from there?

Is this prove of Sup Forums's perception of what is mainstream or not deluded? I mean if people don't remember Led Zeppelin, why would you guys even say Death Grips would be known?

Did he?
I'd only heard that he'd written pieces for the main rock band plus xylophone and trumpet pieces. As much as I've read about him he studied many different forms of instrumentation but when it came to the mothers of invention he required help with piecing things together.

Just listen to his albums chronologically.

1966-75 is his golden age. After that it's pretty hit and miss.

>when it came to the mothers of invention he required help with piecing things together
I've never heard that. 9.8 times out of 10 he's the only one with writing credits.

Not very politically correct, and Zappa's approach to homosexuality can come off as somewhat dated.

Writing credits meaning what exactly? As I said originally my da told me about the concerts he went to, I forgot to mention that a lot of the LPs he had he sold off long before I was around.
But despite that 've only read about him having people write parts or pieces for/with him which he then incorporated into his music. This all being in the recording boothe. So if he was credited for things he either didn't do/ or maybe he did this is news to me... As far as I know he never really talked to the press but the musicians he worked with have, definitely.

The music industry and the powers that be have no interest in popularizing the true counterculture of the 60s and 70s. From the mothers, to the fugs, to the MC5, then popular bands are now virtually unheard of, and every innovation of the time is chalked up to a few big selling brands like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix.

The music industry prefers a homogeneous, musical taste, so it prefers to keep the smallest amount of markets possible, merging black music into hip hop/ rnb, and white music into radio pop. Even regions are being sucked into the cultural center of LA. Americana is dead and according to everyone under 20, bob dylan is country.

Even my dad who grew up in the 70s and 80s hates him. Idk why. I don't like his music but I still think he is one of the most talented musicians to ever take part in rock music. Everyone should know Frank Zappa!

>Writing credits meaning what exactly
Meaning credit for writing the music.

>The music industry and the powers that be have no interest in popularizing the true counterculture of the 60s and 70s. From the mothers, to the fugs, to the MC5, then popular bands are now virtually unheard of, and every innovation of the time is chalked up to a few big selling brands like the Beatles or Jimi Hendrix

Then again, punk rock which was the true counterculture of the late 70s-80s is pretty heavily marketed, you can go to the mall and buy a Clash T-shirt but nobody sells T-shirts of the big name corporate rock like Journey and Boston from back then.

ask him which album he first heard of zappa's

I first heard joes garage & 'yerbouti'...kinda turned me off of exploring more until I finally heard 'freak out' & went chronologically...

Pink Floyd appealed to the current rock status, like Punk/rebellious rock except you needed to listen to them.

Queen were and still are straight up POP/Rock. You wanna talk real rock or real transversal, what about Crimson King or Jethro Tull?

Fuck you and your shitty popular "rock music".

>Then again, punk rock which was the true counterculture of the late 70s-80s is pretty heavily marketed, you can go to the mall and buy a Clash T-shirt
Well, punk was a fashion trend, after all.

The Clash were an industry plant, and only known for their new wave hits. Nothing from their first two albums, the ones with actual punk rock on them, gets airtime.

>according to everyone under 20, bob dylan is country.
pls kill me

>punk
>heavily marketed
that is because it is a dead genre that is getting the hipster/millennial/modern ''''''counter''''''culture seal of approval, so you might as well market old shit to people who will buy it

Lots of people remember Zappa, just not plebs. Hell, even some plebs know him as an old goofy rocker. Cool people know him as possibly the only rock musician worthy of the word genius.

The point that user was trying to make was that Zappa may have sustained a moderate degree of success, but not nearly on par with the smash hits of Pink Floyd or Queen. And this is coming from someone who prefers Zappa to any of the huge radio stars of the era. He was an unstoppable force, outside of the mainstream spotlight but never too far. But I don't think he wanted it anyway, not on mainstream society's terms.

South America seems to know him very well.
It's just Anglos who Just...

>that is because it is a dead genre
So are all the 60s bands he listed but nobody markets them.

Just Another Band From L.A. [Bizarre/Reprise, 1972]

You said it Frank, I didn't. C

Sheik Yerbouti [Zappa, 1979]

If this be social satire, then how come its only targets are those individuals whose peculiar weirdness happens to diverge from that of the retentive gent at the control board? Or are we to take his newfound fixation on buggery as a sign of approval? Makes you wonder if Frank's primo guitar solo on "Yo Mama" is as spiritually arid as he is. As if there was any question after all these years. C+

We're Only In It For The Money [Rykodisc, 1995]

Whatever Zappa's ultimate standing as composer, polemicist, or modern-day social critic who refuses to die, he was everything he claimed to be on this 40 minute, 19 cut sendup of the Summer of Love. No, it wasn't like this. Most of the kids who lost and found themselves in Haight-Ashbury were sweeter and smarter than the "phony hippies" he lacerates with such hopeless contempt. But that doesn't mean his cruelty isn't good for laughs. In today's climate, this early attack on the massification of bohemia hasn't so much dated as it's found its context. Satire is temporary, cheap sarcasm is forever. A-

Distinctions Not Cost Effective [1980s]: Oh, shut up.

>he fell for the "condescending Zappa" meme

Please don't bring up Robert Christgau ever. His ratings are pure horseshit that have no bearing on reality whatsoever almost 100% of the time from what I can tell

>worthy of the word genius
He sneered at all the technology he spent his days buried in.

wtf did Serj do to his hair?