Why listen to anything but jazz, classical and experimental electronic music?

Why listen to anything but jazz, classical and experimental electronic music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5iubDTkT3Y4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why is he looking at me?

>experimental electronic music
Dropped. You should have stopped after classical.

Why listen to anything?

Why Is Jazz Put On The Same Level As Classical Music?

Its something I don't understand. Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?

damn.....

I know this is pasta, but I agree on the fact that jazz is closer to popular music on every single aspects than it is to western art music. And I say this as I love jazz music.

is it because it has a groove?

>not banging out Stockhausen from your car stereo in the hood at 3am

Because other music is fun.

Rock >

because black fetishism basically
It's the same reason why hip-hop gets any respect nowadays

You don't legitimately believe that black fetishism is the only reason jazz is popular do you?

You mean the only reason why it's so revered by lowbrow critics and academia? I do, actually.

That's hilarious.

The state of academia? Yeah, I know.

No, you're opinion.

lol jazz is "popular music", get over it

If jazz is art music then so is funk, same music just with vocals and more fun

Sure, big band and swing jazz was actually popular music in the past. Nu jazz and smooth jazz are closely related to popular music now. That's the connection, but it's not like those are the only genres of jazz getting made today. Here's what John McLaughlin had to say about it:
youtu.be/5iubDTkT3Y4

Good job neither are then

It depends. Free style jazz is closer to classical music but some things like Mozart's Papageno's arias are very similar to pop music. Overall since jazz requires orchestration and a classically trained composer it is more comparable to other orchestral music.

>jazz requires orchestration and a classically trained composer
lolwut

>jazz requires orchestration and a classically trained composer it is more comparable to other orchestral music.
Jazz doesn't "requires" classically trained musicians at all, although most jazzmen are usually classically trained. But then again, a lot of progressive rock and metal artists are also classically trained, wouldn't call it any closer to classical music for that reason.

ask jools, he's got a pretty eclectic taste it seems

What conservatory did Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis and John Coltrane study at?

Trying to group everything into art, pop, and traditional music is asinine.

There are few things more pathetic than people who need to have their taste validated by being exclusionary about the term "art music"

>Also, little emotion in Jazz.
u fucking wot m8