Salut everyone. Haven't seen a decent thread about French Cinema in quite some time...

Salut everyone. Haven't seen a decent thread about French Cinema in quite some time. ITT we post about francophonic film, whether it be Québécois, Française, etc. It doesn't matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tcAmbNYTv_o
youtube.com/watch?v=UmMvBSj_FWE
youtube.com/watch?v=raRSaeDMkFE
youtube.com/watch?v=c9PX1UttvnM
youtube.com/watch?v=JjFZ7gErZ1o
youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY
youtube.com/watch?v=CV65tWCZALI
youtube.com/watch?v=okQJPUTQMqA
youtube.com/watch?v=XsPQ8-dvVh4
youtube.com/watch?v=qZoJCusweN8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you literally suck cocks?

No user, wbu?

Amélie

youtube.com/watch?v=tcAmbNYTv_o

Notre jour viendra

What does Sup Forums think of On connait la chanson ?

I would love to see a screening of Napoleon in its original format.

youtube.com/watch?v=UmMvBSj_FWE

Man Bites Dog / "C'est arrivé prés de chez vous"

youtube.com/watch?v=raRSaeDMkFE

Sheitan

burgerman here, how 2 get qt french gf

pls help

Holy shit, that's Mouloud Achour.

be skinny, have a beard + messy hairstyle and it will be easy for you

Jean de Florette was a good film

Nope, it's a DJ Pone's routine (Birdy Nam Nam).

youtube.com/watch?v=c9PX1UttvnM

I'm talking about the fat neckbeard.

youtube.com/watch?v=JjFZ7gErZ1o

dat Isabelle Adjani...

Nice

Contemplating what i'm going to watch tonight. Anyone seen Mommy? Heard good things about it but i'm still not entirely sure. It's either that, or Of Gods and Men.

I didn't particularly care about it, I'd lump it in with Boyhood as an average, pretentious melodrama that got massively overrated.

That's a pity, might give it a try at some point tho. I was pretty impressed by Dolan's performance in J'ai Tué Ma Mère so I had high hopes about this film.

Hard shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

french cinema is dead. Quebec cinema was never born. Belgian cinema was never born either.
No, seriously. I'm French. Not one good movie has came out of the francophone world for the last 50 years. Honorable mention to gaspar noé for at least doing his own thing (he's the only one), but still nothing special.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet? Did he die

youtube.com/watch?v=CV65tWCZALI

Fuck, he did. That's unfortunate. Was a talented lad.

yeah, on the plus side, we have some decent musicians.

>Not one good movie has came out of the francophone world for the last 50 years
True.
Wasn't there a Dragon ball z episode in France though?
I mean it's not my thing but manga and stuff.

nigga what the fuck are you on about

I have no idea
youtube.com/watch?v=okQJPUTQMqA

forgot about this movie. It's not bad. Worth a recomendation at least.

This. Every french movie feels the same, artsy bullshit with no clear ending and way too long.

You frogs really need to get over the Three Colors school of filmmaking.

This. French too, always surprised to see how burgers love our bourgeois parisian bullshit like Blue is the warmest color... Must be some exotic thing or something.

By the way, if you want to take a good look at what France has become in some cities, bookmark this for a future download :

youtube.com/watch?v=XsPQ8-dvVh4

edaf piaf and sound of da police haha why didn't i watch this in the 90s jesus
Almost like that cunts face now

a prophete was pretty good

Hey, if you liked J'ai Tué Ma Mère, by all means give it a shot, it was certainly better than that piece of shit. I'm not a big fan of Nolan.

This board sometimes.

it was meh.

shut the fuck up faggot

Les demoiselles de Rochefort (1967)
2 ou 3 choses que je sais d'elle (1967)
Mouchette (1967)
Belle de jour (1967)
Playtime (1967)
L'armée des ombres (1969)
Le cercle rouge (1970)
Le genou de Claire (1970)
Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (1972)
La maman eta la putain (1973)
Un homme qui dort (1974)
Le diable probablement (1977)
Cet obscur objet du désir (1977)
Sans soleil (1983)
L'argent (1983)
Á nos amours (1983)
Le rayon vert (1986)
Au revoir les enfants (1987)
Trois couleurs: Bleu (1993)
U.S. go home (1994)
La haine (1995)
Beau travail (1999)
Caché (2005)

haven't seen beau travail and caché, but even assuming they're good, that makes three good films in the last 20 years. Pretty dead.

If Frog cinema is dead it's the last beat of a dying heart. Hollywood? JJAbrams and remakes of Korean and Swedish gems. Safe bets are safe.
youtube.com/watch?v=qZoJCusweN8

it was meh. Kinda entertaining. Not worth a rewatch.

oh, it's 20 years now?
btw, I find it extremely comical that you comment on the state of french cinema and haven't watched fucking beau travail and caché

pleb

where the fuck is
>l'anne'e derni'ere `a mariendbad
!?!

also la haine is shit

Stupid frogposter

>also la haine is shit

Plebs pls go.

La Coquille et le Clergyman for any surrealist/absurdist fans out there.

never even heard about them.
You can't really argue the fact that french cinema, as grand as it was, died after the 60s though. It's just been going downhill ever since.

it's in 1961
2016-50 = 1966
1961 < 1966

Jewjubs had city of lost children. Live action anime goodness Ron the beast is in it.
We'll never know now

you're the pleb, pleb. Go watch capeshit and game of thrones.

Mommy was absolutely terrible, Anne Dorval is really good in it though, as usual.

how
can
you
comment
on
it
if
you
don't
watch
french
films

>where did the time go.pepe.jpg.png

it's ok. it's not shit but it's not le masterpiece either.
Just an okay movie.

pleb
I watched an entire episode of Shannara or, whatever it's called. I have a level 90 wizard called Bruce on world of warhammer too.

sacrebleu! OP est un baguette

come back at 90 bitch.
#told

Actually, I've seen quite a lot, and I regret every one of them. I might check out those other two if you say they're good. I can't be disapointed since my expactations are that it will be ground level low.

>I've seen quite a lot
>never even heard about them.

What exactly have you been watching? Asterix and Obelix?

Going to have to agree to disagree there. Though it was a tremendous film.

Also, 'Le Cercle Rouge' should be mentioned more often in these threads imho. Genuinely surprised that it doesn't come up more often.

Rififi + Le Cercle Rouge = Pinnacles of heist movies
Le Trou + Un Condamné À Mort S'est Échappé = Pinnacles of prison escape movies

I never saw it when it came out. Me and the missus were having problems. Think we went to see Starship Troopers around that time. In the name of the father and the Boxer. Was west Belfast in the 90s warzone. France rappers weren't scary. I like that cunt now I've seen him.. Black Swan lad. Face annoyed me before

I've been seeing a few """"mainstream""" french stuff. The last I saw was the last film by kassovitz. An insult. And still it was comparably better than most of the stuff I usually see which is politically correct moralizing stomach aching "drama comedies".
My main critiques of what french cinema has become are those:
we're stuck in a perpetual new wave. It was cool 50 years ago. It's not cool anymore. Get a fucking studio. Stop filming in flats and streets while supposedly focusing on an inexistent content.
Stop with the moralizing bullshit. I don't watch a movie to get an opportunity to learn how to be a better human being, I want aesthetical orgasms. You cannot and never will make a good movie solely based on a """good""" message. And you just try way to hard with that shit, to the point that it becomes sickening.
In short. Be creative. Stop redoing what everyone has done a million times before you better than you ever will. Stop thinking that you can hide your lack of creative energy behind a more modern cast, or message. Take fucking risks dammit. Every good film in the history of cinema, even, every good work of art in the history of the world, took risks. You CANNOT do something even remotely good if you take zero risks (here, honorable mention to gaspar noé, who, even though I don't like his work, is the only one that I know of that actually take risks with his films).
I could go on but those are the main points.

Build wall.

ah yes,
les pastas

this is oc you paranoid boy.

We're gunna need a bigger boat.

tl;dr then fruitcake.

>Stop with the moralizing bullshit. I don't watch a movie to get an opportunity to learn how to be a better human being, I want aesthetical orgasms.

This is all you care about. Not theme, not the quality of the script, or character development? Don't get me wrong, style and directing are important but they're not the sole key to good film making.

the plot (so, themes, script including characters, etc) are, to me, a support for style.They're here to round it all out and give it a context.
That's my preference, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a movie that is "substance over style", to speak roughly, but it's gonna have to be damn near perfect for me to enjoy it.
And French cinema (or, at least, what I've seen of what came out in the last 50 years or so) just doesn't cut it for me. It's just not good enough. Some things are better than other, but nothing strikes me and makes me say to myself "damn! that was incredible!".
Maybe it's a question of preferences, maybe I missed the rare good ones (will check out beau travail and caché when I can) but I just find it overall bad. Very bad.

Suppose we're just going to have to disagree. I tend to value the plot more so than the style. I prefer when the style acts as a means to highlight existing themes. Perhaps you're right, it might just be a matter of preference. I suppose that's why I enjoy french cinema.

Have you seen the work of Quentin Dupieux?

from my point of view style is substance. Themes, plot, etc are there to support the style. And that goes for litterature as well and virtually all arts.

I've seen rubber and hated it. Total lack of style. That goes for his music as well, imo. a massive hack.

Don't, it's not worth it.

I'm not much into French cinema but I quite liked Captifs.

I also rather enjoyed 13 Tzameti.

You haven't actually seen the movies, like Caché and Beau Travail that do actually take risks. You are watching crap expecting to find gold.