Car bros help me out. A few days ago my car's check engine light came on. I didn't have the money to get it worked on...

Car bros help me out. A few days ago my car's check engine light came on. I didn't have the money to get it worked on, so I was going to wait until I got paid (today). Well yesterday, it wouldn't start. It clicks, and feels like something under the hood moves, but won't start. All the inside electrical stuff will still work (radio, power windows,etc). What's wrong with it? I only have $400 to be use to try to get it fixed...

bump

Physical issue with engine, hence the, "Check engine light." Seriously may range from just being overdue for an oil change to something fucking exploded to a dead rat is inside your engine(?). The first is most likely, and in which case you can fix for just like $30 for $20 worth of synthetic oil (conventional or synthetic previously doesn't matter, at all; just make sure you swap to synthetic) and buy an oil filter for like $10. Prices may need readjusted, Im an actual auto mechanic and just use factory provided shit, so I haven't gone out and bought the supplies needed for an on-the-spot pedestrian oil change in eons. If you haven't distinctly fucked up the car by like speeding over a speed bump, it should be nothing. Could also be a loose seal on a piston cup, which can just be tightened down with an air-driven power tool of the right size. Also make sure exhaust isn't clogged in any way, so remove the exhaust pipe furthest to the pipe without detaching it from the vehicle entirely to check.

And you can always just hit up or if what I says doesn't work or you need a more formal evaluation. Hiring a technician will probably cost as much as just getting a cheap shitty used car.

Thanks. (I didn't even know there was an Auto board). I'm not overdue for an oil change though, still have another month.

but yeah, I will have to have it serviced by someone, I have no mechanic skills at all and no friends

Regardless, may not be due to you actually being overdue in terms of time, but the oil could be getting worn out by friction or gunked up by foreign particles.

I'm just going with the most common (like every 4/5 customer complaints that sound like yours are the same issue) and honestly best case scenario. It could be worse.
>MUCH worse.

It's easy as all hell, you want to drop a discord or Skype or email so I can guide you through it? Should be no problem.
Hiring a technician will without a shadow of a doubt cost you WAYYY more than $400, $600 is the absolute cheapest even for a job a child could do in twenty minutes.

email please kind user? [email protected]

Sounds like the starter may have gone out.

Does it crank at all?

Sounds to me like you cant afford to own/maintain a vehicle.

Hopefully absolutely no type of emergency happens in your life, cause you'll be fucked.

Probably the starter.

Probably the fuel filter.

It just clicks.

1. Dead or discharged battery
2. Short on the wires leading to the starter motor
3. Starter is burnt out.

One of those three most likely. I would check the battery first as it is the problem i come across most.

I just sent you an email. There's another problem it could be judging by what another user brought up, but you're not gonna like it...

Here's the thing... I really doubt it's a fluid issue (Oil or fuel filter) it's either going to be the starter or the alternator most likely. Hell, could be the fuckin battery. Take the battery to an auto parts store and have them check it. If that's good take the starter off and have them check it. If that's good take the alternator off and have them check it. One of those is your problem.

Might want to start with the basics like the battery. The click you are hearing is most probably the relay for the starter motor trying to start the engine, but it may not have enough juice from the battery to start the engine.

Yes, I've read your electrics still work, this is normal because the starter motor takes a lot of electricity.

I have no idea what the other bloke talking about an oil change fixing this - Your motor would still turn on, unless it's a super new car and the computer is preventing you from starting it, in which case he never told you there's a procedure to clear the check engine light/code. Probs a troll.

it's a 2009

2009 What?

Ford Fusion

Any good garage will check the battery free of charge. Get it checked and replace it if necessary. It will be well within your $400 budget.

I honestly think if you get the battery checked you'll find your problem. If now just follow the problem down the line of possibilities.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still worried but thanks.

I'm going with a dead battery, Ford Fusions literally come up on the dashboard saying "Service Oil" and it won't stop you from starting the car anyway

A car battery generally only lasts 5~ years, most of the time even less

But would that make the check engine light come on a couple days before?