4K?

Am I a retard for thinking about getting a 4K OLED TV? I'm moving out of my parents soon and planning on getting a new one regardless and I feel like I should get something that'll last me awhile.
I know there's not much 4K content though yet, and 4K blu-ray players are like $300.
pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z4cHNJvmxIw
youtube.com/watch?v=9iBeFwRIJQY
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get one with upscaling, movies look really snazzy on them

>I know there's not much 4K content though yet

You already found the main argument to not overspend on a fucking television yet you still wonder. 8K is already lurking, 4k televisions will be cheap in no time.

1,645 for a 4k OLED with HDR?
nice senpai.
is that an old model?

you'd be retarded NOT to buy it.at that price

>I know there's not much 4K content though yet
You answered your own question.

>8K is already lurking,
nigga, TV broadcasts are still in 720p
8k isn't going to be a thing for a decade.

Also, it's not you have an option on whether to get a 4k or not, only the bottom of the barrel walmart brands are making 1080p sets now.

No it's a pretty new one. I'm surprised about the price too, at Best Buy it's $2500. I just found this random store in NJ by googling that's selling it for $1700 with free shipping.

that's nuts, cop that shit senpai.
You're not gonna find a cheaper price on that even on black friday.

yeah there's not much content. but what are you gonna do? buy a 1080p now so you'll want to upgrade next year?

>PAYCHECK $33.58
what's it like working at mcdonalds?

I've got one and it's incredible. If you can afford it, then go for it.

>8k isn't going to be a thing for a decade.
Thanks for proving my point. 4k is still a long way out in terms of broadcasting, but brands are already demoing 8k tvs.

4k is really not even a thing. Just get 1080.

Yes you are a retard since unless you have 4k media and like to sit a foot and a half away from your TV you won't be able to tell the difference. You are also a double retard for thinking about buying more physical media. The future is in downloadable movies.

I'd buy the ps4 pro too for more content. I can't imagine what gimmic will be next year.
> was 4k
> then OLED
> now HDR

don't do this. 4K TV's will have Prime, Netflix etc on them for 4K streaming and if you can afford to drop 1600 on a TV you can afford a high end PC with a 1080. True 4K gaming which is something consoles won't be able to do for years.

>inb4 Scorpio
>inb4 Neo

Both are less powerful than the current 1070, which can only just do 4K in some modern games.

Fuck me for getting sucked in by all these marketing buzzwords. But I think I'm gonna do it.

>Am I a retard for thinking about getting a 4K OLED TV?

Yes.

>and like to sit a foot and a half away from your TV you won't be able to tell the difference
This is how you can spot someone that's too poor for a 4k TV.
Even with upscaled bluray you can tell the difference unless you have stevie wonder's eyes.

and
>The future is in downloadable movies.
have fun downloading files bigger than 100gb every day if you're a true kinosseur

4K is only good for gaming (and even then it's overrated), trust me a 4k TV right is just a bad financial decision

>even then it's overrated
t. someone who has never played a game in 4K

don't listen to these retards

OLED is a gamechanger

but yes 4k without OLED is trash.

1080p YIFY rips will look absolutely amazing on that 4k OLED screen, trust me.

in the UK, Sky are providing the Movie and Sport channels in UHD.

Still odd that 4K Blurays are still rare though

genuinely retarded

yeah, OLED is a must. It's remarkable how much of a difference it makes.

The only people ITT who are bashing 4K are people who have never properly experienced 4K.

You have no idea what you are talking about, kid.

>Am I a retard for thinking about getting a 4K OLED TV?
Normally I would say no, but that's an amazing price for that. I'd look around at the 4K content that's currently available and if you're happy with it then I'd say go for it. Here's a couple sample 1080p vs 4K comparison videos.

youtube.com/watch?v=z4cHNJvmxIw
youtube.com/watch?v=9iBeFwRIJQY

what did I say that was wrong?

I currently have a 4K TV hooked up to my PC which has a 1070 in it. I can play some games in 4K with some settings down but other games I have to turn the settings down far too much to make 4K gaming worthwhile, so I use my 1440p monitor.

My 1070 is 6.5 TFLOPS, the Scorpio is 6, the Neo is 4.2. Tell me again how I don't know what I am talking about you nigger.

>My 1070 is 6.5 TFLOPS, the Scorpio is 6, the Neo is 4.2
Graphics card specs aren't the be all and end all.

The thing about 4k is that we've hit a point of diminishing returns. VHS to DVD was a HUGE jump, and so was SD to HD. HD to UHD is a subtle step up which is why they're trying to market things now with HDR, OLED, etc.

What's the best TV I can buy on a budget of about 900$?

Also, are curved TVs worth it or not?

>Also, are curved TVs worth it or not?
they're a gimmick like 3D

>trying to market things now with HDR, OLED
oled isn't some marketing gimmick
going from LED to an OLED set is a bigger difference than going from 1080p to 4k

Even if the 4k set has a 4k bluray source, a 1080p OLED with a 1080p bluray source will look better, the colors and contrast matters more.

Thought so. Also, what's the better brand? Samsung, LG, Sony?

in my opinion, it doesn't matter. But what do I know, if one is slightly better I doubt I'd notice

you wont find a new curved tv under 900, and curved TVs are nice ONLY if you sit right in the middle front of it. other people around you won't like it so much.

how big are you looking to go?
get a vizio p series 50" if you can stretch your budget $100.

Yeah, samsung, lg, and sony make better TVs than vizio, but not at your price range.

Yeah I was thinking of 50''.

I'll take a look at vizio, thanks.

I'll admit it looks good, but not good enough to spend that much money on it

I also have a 6600K, 16GB of 2300 RAM, a 500 gig SSD and an excellent cooling system. My rig isn't the best, but it's high end and the components in it destroy anything you are going to find in consoles for the rest of the decade. Yet I can only just play 4K. And you didn't answer my question, what did I say that was wrong? That's because you can't answer it, everything I said was correct. You're just a fucking console faggot doesn't know what he's talking about

money is relative. If you're only making 20K a year, sure it's a waste of money. If you're making 80K plus with minimal expenses? It's not even that big of a purchase.

>Even with upscaled bluray you can tell the difference unless you have stevie wonder's eyes.
But why does actual science say otherwise? Are all of these articles online trying to falsely discourage me from buying more shit?

>buying a 4k tv
>when the human eye can't see above 360p

Just because it's 4K doesn't mean it has good picture quality. Get eyes-on in a brick-and-mortar store before you commit to this purchase.

>4K TV's will have Prime, Netflix etc

>streaming 4K over the internet

heh

>he has shit internet

Specs aren't the be all and end all.

Look at how the iPhone beats every android phone with much shittier specs.

>(current year)
>Still watching TV in some form

I guess if you like watching capeshit flicks it makes sense. Good films getting 4K'd is a while off yet.

Probably a Vizio

Thing is streaming encodes are always kind of mediocre probably to save bandwidth, if that translates to 4k then it kind of defeats the purpose if they cut corners on the bitrate to save on bandwidth.

check out rtings.com for more options, they go into detail into why a certain model is good or bad. you can't tell if a set is gonna be good or not just by going by the brand name

Vizios were trash, but ever since a couple years ago they upped their game a lot for the lower price range tier.

it's not about your internet speed, it's their shit bitrate.
you can have the fastest internet in the world, but any 4k streaming service out there will still look worse than a 1080p bluray.

>implying anybody needs resolution higher than 720p
If a movie needs fancy visuals to look good, it's a bad movie.

i wonder if they gonna release SDR(non HDR) 4k bluray eventually. i have no interest in HDR standard is a mess.

you got a CRT i can buy off you?

except they are
>but muh optimisation
by the time Scorpio is out the 11 series will be out. A current 1080 is 50% more powerful the the Scorpio will be, the 1180 will be 60% more powerful that that, making the Scorpio look like a joke.

lol at the poorfag rationalizing going on ITT

What's the difference between OLED and HDR. Are they complementing features or mutually exclusive?

dont listen to these retards OP

I own a 4K OLED and its a fucking night and day difference . Literally everything you watch will be 100x better

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just trying to figure out why there's so many "optimal viewing distance" type articles that say it doesn't matter unless my TV is huge or I'm sitting 2 feet away from it. Why is it only anecdotes saying otherwise? Again, not saying you're wrong. I just don't get it.

viewing distance is bullshit.

If you buy a premium TV with superior contrast, color, upscaling, etc, etc, you WILL notice the difference no matter what. There is way more to what makes a TV beyond resolution, and all those viewing distance charts are total shit because they don't take anything else into account in addition to being entirely subjective.

Do they even sell 1080p TVs anymore? Just go with 4k or whatever gimmick they're pushing now, it's not like the picture will look worse

1080p at this point is reserved for poorfag wal-mart shit tvs

There is zero native 4k content right now.

>UHD Blu-Ray
>Streaming
>PC Gaming

sure buddy

4K is the past. Choose 8K son.

UHD blurays are all upscales.
Streams is bitstarved to hell and back
Only on PC, consoles are just upscaling.

Kpop broadcasts are in 60fps and 4k, but kpop is a prostitution service.

might as well not get a tv and watch movies on your phone, faggot

oled under say, 2000 dollars means you are buying terrible panel riddled with issues that are prominent in oled panels.

t. lg signature series owner & active shill
paid 8000 euros

>UHD blurays are all upscales
>all upscales
>all
>idk what im talking about

>UHD blurays are all upscales.
The ones that adhere to standards of UHD aren't. They have to fill out stuff like rec.2020 which isn't possible just by upscaling since you need 10bit stream : v)

I'd rather have a great 1080p projector and 10" screen desu

lol meant 10 foot screen

that's a small screen

>Am I a retard
Yes.

/thread

look at the poorfag and laugh

Your dubs have nothing on my trips though

I mostly watch stuff alone on my computer, sometimes with a buddy or a date by my side. A good PC build + a 4K monitor + a quality pair of headphones and studio monitors is fucking GOAT. I don't pay a cable bill, nor do I deal with an annoying ads. I can achieve an optimal viewing distance easily.

Overall, I get why people do the whole couch-TV setup for social viewing. If you are doing it and trying be patrish, please please get it right with the audio, it's the number one thing that people get wrong and the number one thing that can set the viewing experience leagues ahead of my setup.

You say not to get the audio wrong, yet you get it wrong yourself. Stereo audio monitors are not goat for patrish viewing … a quality, properly calibrated 5.1 surround system is.

that chart is bullshit. I can sit around 8-10 feet from my 55 inch 4K TV, change it from 1080p to 4K and the difference is staggering. According to that there should be no difference.

Yeah, you're right, I should get surround going.

4 U

I am curious about the origin of the chart, and it seems pretty dumb to say that the resolutions are "worth it". I hope somebody who knows their shit can come ITT and tell us about this topic.

I just posted it to get some images going in the thread to be honest

VR will be in 4k soon and you'll feel retarded for buying a stupid expensive tv that doesn't cover your field of vision. just wait you nigger

sry would you recommend using studio quality, consumer quality, or audiophile quality for the surround? I do sound and video work so I am partial to studio quality stuff like a set of Genelecs.

VR is a bigger meme than 3d
oculus came and went, what happened?
are there any new tech demos?,,,,

>ignoring how the different color profile standards work.
>ignoring the insane levels of difference between brightest and darkest spot in monitors (contrast)
>especially in OLED's
so ignorant chart tbhq

>VR is a meme

They are still nonetheless marketing the fuck out of it with the new generation of graphics cards. "VR ready VR ready", OK. Surely studios are gonna take advantage of that new market and make some cool stuff.

I hope Godard makes a VR film before he farts a cold fart.

Goodbye to Language was great

>urely studios are gonna take advantage of that new market and make some cool stuff.
as in film studios?
I HIGHLY doubt that.
the VR market is so tiny, no studio in their right mind is gonna think shooting a VR movie will make any kind of financial sense.