Why did the 80s sound die at the end of the 80s?

Why did the 80s sound die at the end of the 80s?

youtube.com/watch?v=m3-hY-hlhBg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI
youtube.com/watch?v=92gHq1s6G-c
youtube.com/watch?v=THtqUDitQ4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love 80s snares.
KSCCHT KSCCHT KSCHHT (the 80s snare sound)

Population replacement.

The 80s had a very strong and defined sound. I just find it baffling that it died out so quickly. I mean even Japanese composers today are still continuing the 80s sound, but you never hear it in the West.

The evolution of house and techno took over the dance charts, while the early 90s R&B renaissance and new jack explosion took over pretty much the entire black population. Black female pop singers like Whitney were either doing everything they could to change with the times or falling into obscurity.

The aftermath...

Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam

youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI

TLC - Friends

youtube.com/watch?v=92gHq1s6G-c

Groove Theory - Tell Me

youtube.com/watch?v=THtqUDitQ4I

In my opinion, it was a good revolution, as the aesthetics of early 90s dance and R&B simply appeal to me a lot more.

Notice how some of the core styles never really changed, also. New technology and a popular shift in the heavy use of minor tones (which was nearly universal in all music during the early 90s) are some obvious differences, but the culture was merely transitioning into an amalgamation.

The hip hop revolution was also hugely circumstantial, but that's going to lead into another thing entirely.

On Tell Me, I love that major chord during the bridge

I hate 1985 for destroying punk music. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you look at SST's releases during that year.

Easily one of the best hooks of all time.

Because everyone was in a hurry to put that cheesy synthpop phase behind them. Unfortunately it reared its ugly head again in the 2000's.

It stuck around till at least 1992 in the soft rock / new age / adult contemporary world.

cokaine

yung whitney was a top qt

i love old school videos like this one. whitney houston must've been one of the biggest pop stars on the planet. today they're either either dreary or winking. no one knows how to have fun anymore

narrative music videos were a fucking mistake

Early RHCP

i srsly doubt that

It continued on for a little bit in the early 90s, but then Grunge happen

That's because Japan has been stuck in a recession for decades and never left the 80s, when they were a world economic power.

ah yes it reminds me of here in Argentina where pop music is very very stagnant. everything just sounds like circa 1971 Rolling Stones.

Maybe because it sounded like utter dog shit?

80s music sounds exceptionally dated because a lot of new technologies appeared which artists and producers seldom knew how to utilize well.

It got replaced by 90s gear that sounded like n64 music. I kind of feel bad for musicians in the 80s and 90s their sound aged soooooooo bad

>and a popular shift in the heavy use of minor tones (which was nearly universal in all music during the early 90s)

Examples?

>It got replaced by 90s gear that sounded like n64 music

Tonight The Stars Revolt. This is the best example I can think of of an album that really has that N64 sound.

The entire decade sucked itself to death.
Then grunge came to fill the gap and the process repeated.

The first time I noticed it was when I hear DJ Paul - sweet robbery. It literally sounds like a james bond game song.

sounds right up my alley

>today they're either either dreary or winking. no one knows how to have fun anymore

It's a combination of many things. Pop stars these days don't have sheer talent like Whitney, they are also far too involved with politics, and their producers hold on to them for way too long, so they grow older as they continue to produce music which aims to appeal to teens.

Thinking of Katie Perry specifically here.

bump

>Pop stars these days don't have sheer talent like Whitney

Whitney Houston [Arista, 1984]

I'd never claim that this sweet, statuesque woman and her sweet, statuesque voice are victims of exploitation. She obviously believes in this schlock. But not counting the Jermaine Jackson duet from his own Arista debut, only one of the four producers puts any zip in--Narada Michael Walden, who goes one for one. And it could have been worse--they could have sicked Barry Manilow on her the way they did with cousin Dionne. Then the credits could have read: "To Barry Manilow, It was a privilege to work with a talented professional who's made so many millions of dollars for Clive Davis. Together, we can make many millions more." C

Whitney [Arista, 1987]

It takes more than unsullied venality and the will to power to reign as the most revolting pop singer in Christendom. It takes active aesthetic miscalculation and, truth be told, more than a little luck. Like falling into the lame dance grooves of Jermaine Jackson and the odious megaschlock of Michael Masser, with Narada Michael Walden limited to "How Will I Know"--which becomes your breakthrough song as well as the only critically forgivable thing on your best-selling debut album in history. So this time Walden gets seven shots, with Masser down to two and Jermaine returned to the bosom of his family, and the results are forgivable--she does have a good voice, you know. C+

I'm Your Baby Tonight [Arista, 1990] :(

>It takes more than unsullied venality and the will to power to reign as the most revolting pop singer in Christendom. It takes active aesthetic miscalculation and, truth be told, more than a little luck. Like falling into the lame dance grooves of Jermaine Jackson and the odious megaschlock of Michael Masser, with Narada Michael Walden limited to "How Will I Know"--which becomes your breakthrough song as well as the only critically forgivable thing on your best-selling debut album in history. So this time Walden gets seven shots, with Masser down to two and Jermaine returned to the bosom of his family, and the results are forgivable--she does have a good voice, you know. C+

Ok I give up. This review made me laugh out loud.