holy shit what did i just watch

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Analogue
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascent_of_Mount_Carmel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub's_Tales_to_His_Grandson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsimulated_sex
youtube.com/watch?v=CUrd-VWiBZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Someone with autism film someone shitting into a bowl.

chilean kino

(You)

Based Jodo

The best thing about holy mountain is how they're able to put so much into a single shot. There's so much going on in every single frame. Its like poetry. It rhymes.

No plot just pretty visuals, Jodorowsky trying and failing to trascend everything and falling flat on his face.

Pseudo intellectuals still think it's a masterpiece.

Would you say it's dense ?

The plot was a vehicle for the visuals. The wonders and horrors of psycho-spiritual perception. A love letter to reality and what is beyond it.

PSYCHOMAGICKINO

t. Faggot

>holy shit what did i just watch
a unique and extremely interesting film

>tfw you're chilean and Jodorowsky is a shame to our nation
He did great comics though. Still, he's a charlatan that's trying to sell some eastern/freudian bullshit.

Tile Salesman: The Movie

I bet you enjoy the films of Sebastian Silva faggot

who /SantaSangre/ here

jodo's true kino

not true, most people like him here

>he doesn't understand Tarot

How do you even watch film if you have no understanding of symbolism? The Fool is the ultimate protagonist and his progress through deck is the story of his life.

Posting this to ridicule someone means you're literally a fucking retard who is not allowed to have opinions.

>Jodorowsky trying and failing to trascend everything
not true
he only wants you to make your own "plot"
the point is that you see what you want to see in the movie

>not getting the point I was making
(YOU)

wow, i never get to use this pic

itt: people who have unrealistic expectations of film.
Whatever happened to just enjoying a film as an interesting and exciting narrative/visual experience? Why does it have to be a work of genius on the same scale as religious scripture?

Tarkovsky left the bar too high

Yeah! Whatever happened to expecting visual storytelling to have some sort of coherent narrative plot! Outrageous!

The first half of El Topo would be pretty badass if they remade it into a western with the spiritual stuff still intact.

JODOROWSKY, ARRABAL THEY MAKE ME VOMIT
I DON'T GIVE A DAMN
I SHIT ON YOUR INTERPRETATIONS

talk for yourself faggot
i find him an inspiration
sure the dude may have bought into the mystical meme too hard but his movies are amazing and hes inspired a lot of people in the biz

Don't you dare give me or my wife's son (you)s again

he's saying that he's taken the first steps toward gaining new knowledge you fucking idiot

Fucking samefag. Read a fucking book.

I'm more like BRINDO POR EL ABSURDO type of person.
Yeah, say whatever you want to say.
Most of the people who like him is because of his "deep" thoughts about human psych, which are based on a bunch of pseudo scientific crap with some eastern philosophy as a topping. Not much people know him for his works with comics and that Dune film he wanted to make.
>inspired a lot of people in the biz
>he left chile
Kek.
His movies are great, I don't deny that. The problem I have with him is his mystical psychologic bullshit. I despise that shit.

y'all niggas need to just chill and ZOOM BACK CAMERA

...You are fundamentally misunderstanding the film. That's not even a valid criticism of the film -- or at least not one that should be taken seriously by anyone with more than a high school education. It's like saying "this john cage composition doesn't have strong enough melody"

>which are based on a bunch of pseudo scientific crap with some eastern philosophy as a topping.
All I get from all his tarot and drug use and psychomagic is that ultimately you have to help yourself in the end
See

He's a Mandaean. Someone explained it here once.

More of a new age shaman
I never got the sense of any gnostic theology from his movies

>You are fundamentally misunderstanding the film

I'm not misunderstanding shit bro. Not everyone is entertained by pretty pictures, "atmospheric stuff" and all that other crap. Some peoples' brains are not hyper visually oriented and need more to be stimulated. He's free to do whatever the fuck he wants. But he shouldn't act all high and mighty like he's some genius and everyone else just doesn't understand him.

The was the best part of the movie. Better than shrine of testicles and robot fucking.

This!

It's almost a different movie every time it's viewed

the film maker is legit crazy, and i never want to watch it or anything so weird again, but i kinda liked it.

I hate these threads because they remind me of all the annoying film students in my dorm at college who were like " dude drop acid and let's watch holy mountain" like it's such a profound , life altering experience man, it opens the doors of perception bro" . God I hate those kinds of people.

Just remember, no matter how profound anyone says this film is, .

any recs for an user who has Holy Mountain in his top 10? I love this movie

Have you seen an Arrabal flick?

>all films must be filled with STEM faggotry so it doesnt trigger my autism

>But he shouldn't act all high and mighty like he's some genius and everyone else just doesn't understand him.

He has never acted like this

Anybody in these threads ever mention the book it's based on?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Analogue

Wikipedia says it's also based on

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascent_of_Mount_Carmel

Speaking of, Rene Daumal was a student of one George Gurdjieff, whom Jodorowsky has named as an influence, so I'd assume this is also required reading of a sort

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub's_Tales_to_His_Grandson

Basically, does Sup Forums read?

That's just fucking sad

This isn't /lit/ faggot

But Jodorowsky himself was influenced by those three writings, wouldn't it follow that reading those might lead to a higher understanding of the film?

I only read comics, nigger

>When I wanted to do the rape scene, I explained to [Mara Lorenzio] that I was going to hit her and rape her. There was no emotional relationship between us, because I had put a clause in all the women's contracts stating that they would not make love with the director. We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib...I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really...I really...I really raped her. And she screamed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsimulated_sex

so many penises

where did he get the money

/ourguy/?

The Beatles liked him

fantastic planet

yms core. synechdoche ny.

how can one man be so based

>nobody ever talks about the superior one

this is probably my fav scene in the movie. in any movie

no but i will look into it. thanks user

Is Jodorowsky redpilled?

Wait, it wasn't real shit was it?

You gotta respect that at the end he literally goes "by the way, it's just a movie, guys."

Also I like how the second act of the movie is a long character select screen.

this: In the Dune documentary he says with a big grin on his face how he got a lot of pussy because he was "mystic" and "mysterious."

I honestly wouldn't be very surprised

I've only ever seen it on acid so I really couldn't tell you. I remember the scene where some group is trying to get to the top of a mountain and a German is telling them he knows how to leap through the mountain. I took that as a metaphor for nihilism, but as I can not place it in the wider context of the film I can't be sure.

is not on the dune documentary

>this is probably my fav scene in the movie. in any movie
same

Never seen it. Should I watch it high?

sure
sober is cool tho

But is high better???

You've been Illuminated

You are now part of the chosen few

>that's the point of the movie

What movie??

not him but yes. If I had to pick one movie to watch high, it's holy mountain

High is always better. :)

Toss this in the pile along with Bukowski, Death Grips, Aleister Crowley, Led Zeppelin, body modification and the rest of the typical degenerate pleb shit that every little clone adopts as their official Stupid Faggot Identity Uniform.

el topo i think

You watched a very pretty movie that deconstructs religion and takes us on a journey that breaks down the human condition into a group of people that personify a certain aspect of humanity as represented by their astrological planet.

>And when I say 300 rabbits were murdered, I mean just that. No CGI. No standins. No dummy rabbits. Nope. Because the film was shot in Mexico back in 1970, where and when apparently they had no rules governing the abuse of animals, or people, or much of anything except (thankfully) lots of rules governing the distilling of tequila, the rabbits all had their necks snapped (Jodorowsky claims he killed all of them by hitting them with a karate chop), for the sake of surrealism.

youtube.com/watch?v=CUrd-VWiBZM

>There's a point of the movie

i would honestly be surprised if the shit was fake

>he didnt get it

so edgy such authentic wow

>he can't hang with "let's get stoned and make our prude friend watch Holy Mountain with us"

It's the dumbass Mexicans fault for having shitty laws

The blood is on their hands

At first he did say that he actually killed them for shock value, but later denied it and said they were already dead from a disease. But I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did it for real, considering all the other fucked up shit he did. Being a horrible person for the sake of art is disgusting and inexcusable, and he didn't deserve all the kickstarter money for his shitty mediocre new film.

Sometimes, even after all this time, it's still surprising to me how retarded the people on this site can be.

No, it's the hipster director's fault for being an edgy cunt who cares about being special more than about the lives of innocent creatures.

eh i dont really care if he killed 300 rabbits. they probably got eaten by the locals anyway

At least the crucified animals in The Holy Mountain were borrowed from a butcher, right?

Right?

Oh right, it's not the fault of the literal person who killed them, it's on the government

jodorowsky said in an interview that he personally buys all the animals and kills them himself in all of his films

>it's a edgy hipster discover holy mountain thread

I read that as 300 rabbis at first. Sup Forums is getting to me.

>decide to read up on El Topo
>fans include Refn and Suda 51

So... the movie is good?

>symbolism
Dude. Not everything is intended to be broken down into "what does this mean?" -- especially not Jodorowsky films which are be design an assault on the senses.

Different style of filmmaking entirety.
Both fucking great.
Why isn't there more filmmakers who... like you know... are visual? Considering it's a visual medium?

>Also I like how the second act of the movie is a long character select screen.
kek

i dont think good is the correct word for jodorowsky films but definitely watch them

>Different style of filmmaking entirety.
I just meant in the sense that they're both "visual poetry" and full of raw symbolism. In that aspect Parajanov clearly beats the shit out of Jodorowsky, who relies too much on shock value to convey his messages, and is rife with pretentiousness.

I think I may like El Topo a little bit more than Holy Mountain, I can't really say. I like how El Topo has more of an actual plot.

After like 100 mins of a psychomagical experience, this comes.
If this doesn't belong in the most satisfying, best endings ever I don't know what does.
Fuck that other guy, thanks for the reference, I didn't know and I might look into it later
>Dude. Not everything is intended to be broken down into "what does this mean?" -- especially not Jodorowsky films which are be design an assault on the senses.
Pretty much this.
The only thing that you can argue has a very clear meaning is the character presentation and ending, which are "spoonfed"