Desperately want to believe that God is real and an afterlife exists

>desperately want to believe that God is real and an afterlife exists
>can't
Please help me, Sup Forums, I want to believe. The idea of rotting in a hole for eternity with no consciousness is fucking terrifying and I want to believe in something else, something greater, but I just can't logically bring myself to do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM
youtube.com/watch?v=wjmFm8PIz8M
near-death.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=OxKYfTvZFb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't ask us.

"Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

>logically
Why?

Why not make your life worthwhile instead of cowering in fear of death? You can't change death, but you can change your life.

>logically

you fell for the meme

>The idea of rotting in a hole for eternity with no consciousness is fucking terrifying

So get cremated. Also you're not even gonna care once you're dead

who says you have to rot in a hole?

i plan on preserving my head and have it placed in one of those storage containers that eventually get auctioned off...then SURPRISE!

The pendulum proves this, The Unmoved Mover.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, as the saying goes. We are said to be nothing but molecules randomly put together, expressions of leaderless processes. But those processes are eternal, and what crumbles to dust will eventually be remade, rise to shine for the briefest of times, and return to the sleep of unbeing. Entropy and rebirth are the only constants in this universe, and through the fact that whatsoever lives must die and whatsoever dies must live again, you are already yourself part of the divine you seek.

This is what someone I greatly admired once told me. I do not know if it helps you, but realizing that all this might be my afterlife already motivated me to turn it all around at least.

>Q. What is Faith?
>A. Faith is a supernatural virtue, which God infuses into our souls, and by which, relying on the authority of God Himself, we believe everything which He has revealed and which through His Church He proposes for our belief.

ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM

Faith is a gift from God. Nobody can just "believe" by their own natural power, because faith is a supernatural act requiring the grace of God, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day."

It's a gift you can and should pray for. You may feel stupid praying to a God you don't really believe in, but God recognises that initial prayer of wanting-to-believe as an act of humility, “God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.”

Pray the Our Father.

>I'm expected to believe ''''''God'''''' exists
>even though he created me as a nonwhite

No.

I watched an episode of "Story of God" with Morgan Freeman on NG. There was dude in it that said he was 18 minutes or something without breath under water and survived. Apparently he saw some light,some form of higher existence while he was under water dead. There should be torrents of the show somewhere on the internet.

I have been reading the Book of Enoch and despite the fact it was written before Christianity, its about Christian beliefs and written by the seventh son of Adam. In a biblical sense it was written before Noah and actually has text from Noah during the flood. To my point, it states that with the coming end times, the second coming of the Son of Man, we will be faced by judgement of his ten thousand 'angels' who will either send you to the lake of fire that will open up (Yellowstone) or judge you free of sin as being morally superior to the others who hoard their gold in barns or speak ignorance and heresies through prejudice you will be taken to second Earth and be ruled under second Heaven.

So to me this sounds like an alien race that is even spoken as ancient aliens in other cultures that will come and be like, "Hey, you're a pretty good person. Come with us and live a good life."

There is something coming

imagine your body right now. feel the warmth in your hands.

now imagine, you are dead. your body is cold. you are sitting on a table in some mortuary.

that's all that awaits you.

after 8 minutes without oxygen brain damage is highly likely

after 10 minutes without oxygen brain damage is inevitable.

he may have survived but hes prolly a fuckn potato

At the end of the day its all made up bs thats used to lead and control the masses (for good and bad).

>There is something coming
He who has ears let him hear.

youtube.com/watch?v=wjmFm8PIz8M

Why don't we have a religion board

/sol/ or something stupid like that

/his/ is the closest we have to that, and its more or less a beachhead for plebbit

>Get cremated.
>Have you're ashes placed in a glass dildo.
>Fuck you're future offspring for eternity.

>its all made up bs

including the invented "nothingness" meme. that fear of oblivion controls people and elites exploit it to great effect

there's your redpill

He didn't looked like a potato to me but if I think more about it Morgan did go easy on the guy.

> I just can't logically bring myself to do it.
Your disbelief in god is also not logical. Logic does not apply to this kind of concepts.

In what sense do you believe that god isn't real, user?

most tv shows are anti god would not put much faith in it

Go to youtube and watch that 22min ish video on simulated reality.

>rotting in a hole for eternity with no consciousness

Don't focus so hard on the limited existence your 3 dimensional body

Before you were born, you didn't exist for billions of years. So why are you having a fuss over not existing for a few billion more?

Read about NDE's

near-death.com/

Get over it you whiny faggot.

Lmao

Hey, you're a pretty good Goy. Come with us and live a good life.

Trust the Merchant

>Before you were born, you didn't exist for billions of years
Prove it faggot.

Enoch spoke of the Hebrew and said one should not follow their teachings. They are the one who he speaks of for hoarding their gold in barns and are the first to be cast aside.

lead a healthy lifestyle (Sardinian/Okinawan diet, frequent fasting, exercises and fapping/sex). We will probably achieve immortality before the end of the century

there is no proof there is a after life and there is no proof there is not, why belief any of them when there is no proof anyway

Well if it's true it doesn't change anything. The situation would be different anyway because we would lose something. Our knowledge and memories. I don't want to lose all that.

>but I just can't logically bring myself to do it
Study religions of the world, compare them, compare civilizations etc.

Every civilization comes up with some sort of religion and religion is everywhere a foundation for a particular morality

You just wouldn't behave like you do without the Bible, you're determined by the Bible

Lost things can be found.

I've noticed that once people accept Athiesm, they turn into massive dickbag nihilists and start having existential crises. You can't force yourself to believe anything you don't want to. If you want to ease into it like me, just read the Bible, listen to Christian-themed music (not Christian rock or gospels, but things like Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, or even that 'Take Me To Church' song), really get a feel for the spirit, and just accept the Christian morality into your heart. You don't have to believe in God, but just in the tenents and Word of Christ.

>'Take Me To Church'
The one about underage premarital sex? Don't listen to this guy.
>You don't have to believe in God, but just in the tenents and Word of Christ
Heresy. If Christ is not God he is a liar or a lunatic.

this,

you don't need a legacy, or some shit. You can become significant without ever being known.

Stop fearing death and having self pity.

>The one about underage premarital sex? Don't listen to this guy.
No, it's about a guy worshipping an abusive lover like a God. And the music video is about queerbashing for some fucking reason. Although it's not explicitly "Christian themed", it still comes off as powerful and is a good song regardless.

And fuck your heresy. Christ is the Son of God, not God himself. He preached forgiveness and love for your fellow man. You do NOT have to believe in God to enter Paradise. The acceptance of Christ into your heart is enough.

>Christ is the Son of God, not God himself
Literal heresy
>You do NOT have to believe in God to enter Paradise
Neat. More heresy.
>The acceptance of Christ into your heart is enough
This is true. Provided that you acknowledge Christ is God.

Christ equates himself with God numerous times. Denying this is denying the root of Christianity.

Well, its like this:

Suppose there are invisible imps which cause car breakdowns. They loosen clamps, fuck with alternators, stop water pumps.

You could say -- well there's no direct evidence that they exist, and there's no evidence they don't exist, why take either of these positions?

Because one of those positions has no falsifiability. The "imps dont exist" position can be easily shown wrong by just one piece of evidence. The "imps do exist and cannot be observed" position can never be false.

The existential crisis is the first step of spiritual development. The blanket of afterlife is the first thing to be removed, and yeah, its cold at first. That's not a good reason to stay in bed forever.

What are you, Catholic? Eat a dick, faggot.

Don't worry if we work hard enough were almost to the stage where we can use technology to overcome death. That is what I am focusing my entire study and work around

For me it's not about myself. Theres someone I really loved and the thought of them dying and us being seperated is like torture. It's not death per Se it's just that I don't want to be seperate from them. I want to be able to see the future and explore the Galaxy with them.

So my advice dedicate your life to finding a way to extend life. I would get into cybernetic implants and/or tissue regeneration and growing organs from your own stem cells

I believe it is the destiny of humanity to become undying as we spread through the Galaxy. Once we overcome the frail pathetic weak shell that is the human body our minds will be unstoppable

>you don't need a legacy
Amen.

If you really think about it, even people with a legacy will be forgotten one day. When we get in contact with other forms of life and bridge all of our sciences together, you really think people will remember Isaac Newton or Einstein? Even they're going to be forgotten eventually.

>when whiteknighting goes too far

Face it bruh, she doesn't wanna be with you.

No. Get your lukewarm Jeffersonian Christianity out of here. Denying to divinity of Christ is the oldest, purest form of heresy there is.

>In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
>I and the Father are one."
>Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"
>But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?”

62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

Assuming you were raised Christian but the basic idea can be used regardless of which religion you were raised under or even if you were raised atheist but absorbed religious messages from community and media.

The belief in God and religion is sort of like firmware installed at the beginning of your life. You probably can't get rid of it and it's unlikely you'll be able to derive the same psychological benefits from other avenues.

You can't gain the same sense of security and serenity through intellectualizing and exploring foreign ideologies. You can't consciously think "well, yeah I get these feelings when I think in terms but in reality they're actually from inside my mind and blah blah brain chemistry blah blah". Basically you have to imagine God as an external, conscious entity (the one you were taught to believe in as a child) and convince yourself at least to some degree that this is reality because it's the only way your brain will properly accept it.

That's what helped me when I was unable to (re-)accept the idea of God and Christianity on an intellectual level.
It helped to restore some of the faith ingrained in me as a child and eventually helped me to believe in it for real. If you want, you can work on rational, convincing explanations as you go along.

Some people constantly extol the virtues and benefits of spirituality but have an intense opposition to all forms of theism (except Islam of course). This is misguided and political.
There is no good reason you shouldn't tap into the spirituality that's already been cultivated within you.

>The idea of rotting in a hole for eternity with no consciousness

I dont get it, so you believe in the spirit but not other realms?

If you're really an atheist just get cremated and there will be nothing to rot, there's no more consciousness after the brain dies, right?

youuu are aware the nazis lost right?

>No one who denies the Son can have the Father; whoever confesses the Son has the Father as well.
>f anyone confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.
>Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the Father also loves the one born of Him.
>The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Another thing to add: try not to worry about God judging you harshly for somehow cheapening or mocking your religion by pretending to believe when you don't. I can be very self-conscious and critical so this was a problem for me.
If it helps you to return to your religion then I'm sure God is not going to hold that against you.
If you really don't believe in God anyway then it shouldn't matter.

Currently having a huge existential crisis for about a week. Think I'm coming out of it, but the things I've seen and figured out feel like a red pill, I peeked behind the curtain and now I can never live happily like before.

That's a terrible thing to say about someone's mother.

You believe your sensory experience corresponds to real objects despite the fact that it *very well* might not. I don't see why believing in God is so much more difficult for you.

What happened to you?

>he's never been to the secret Nazi snow base in Ultima Thule

i wish an afterlife were jews and nigger-sandniggers, do not exist

I'm almost in the same place as OP.
>Raised in a nonreligious household.
>Baptised Catholic, but parents left the church
>Never encouraged to believe in a higher power at a young age.
>Learn all the atheist memes against religion.
>Start studying about different religions
>Plurality is proof that none are right

Then I went to Italy and had a real experience visiting all the cathedrals. I actually want to believe now, and not out of a fear of death, but because of the beauty of God and the amazing things we've done in His name.

The rationality meme doesn't bother me, I know I don't have to feel compelled to prove God's existence, but I just can't believe that He is real. I have no faith.

What do?

Interesting sentence structure.

>Something greater
Realise that everything that has ever happened throughout all of time had to happen exactly the way it happened for you to even exist in the first place, that being the Ghandi doing his march, WW1, the Nazis killing lots of shit... all had to happen exactly how it happened for you to be here... Now realise that you and everything you do will continue to have an effect on the rest of the universe way after your gone and even though your just a little insignificant being you had to exist and do the things youve done exactly for whatever the future of tommorow holds to happen.

Thats what keeps me going... and going... and going...

struggling with the same things so I can only offer you intellectual advice that might help:

1. Recognize that you are experiencing fear. Don't fight it, but let it flow through you, focus on your breathing and let the bad thoughts come in like waves. Suddenly you'll find that the waves become smaller and easier to handle.

2. The ego is terrified of the concept of death, and tricks you into imagine yourself as a spectator when thinking about death. Since your young, the ego is not very well integrated, and obviously you're not ready to die. As you grow older and you reach higher "ego integrity", the death anxiety will lessen. Chances are you'll live to 65+, let's worry about death then.

godspeed user, I'm struggling with the same paralyzing thoughts.

Failed my uni courses and my relationship is going to shit. I guess thats the root cause. Hit me like a ton of bricks out of nowhere.

>What do?
Have faith anyways. Choose to believe. Pray, worship, meditate.
Atheists have no reason to fear death. They also have no reason to cling to life. I never understand when Atheists fear death or love life. Assuming Atheism is true; why bother?
>The ego is terrified of the concept of death
Gotta shed that ego nigga. That's a common concept in many religions.

I like that. Who told you that?

it's exactly the "why bother", meaninglessness that fucks me. A counter to it would be, "why not bother?"

The more time you spend worrying about death, the less time you spend living.

>A counter to it would be, "why not bother?"
Go ahead. Its all meaningless anyways without transcendence.

>I face death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

>“Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

>Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character. 34 Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.
Outside of Theism there is only base nihilism or hedonism. Anything else is intellectually dishonest.

My late older brother. He was very learned.

I tried not bothering for 2 years, it makes you seriously unhappy. I now aim to become the dream version of myself by working out and improving on myself mentally and physically and im in a much better state than I used to be.

Except for that assuming some kind of Materialism entropy is not a constant. And everything eventually decays into nothingness. There is nothing divine in his worldview. Its not good science and poor philosophy.

I don't mean to speak ill of your brother.

>logically

Therein lies your problem. God truth requires a willingness to accept that some truths have nothing to do with logic, they simply are.

That's not to say they're illogical, they just require something beyond reason to accept

>I now aim to become the dream version of myself by working out and improving on myself mentally and physically and im in a much better state than I used to be.
There is no reason to do so if your purpose is not oriented upwards towards the divine. Having the sexiest bag of molecules is no prize.

Wrong. Faith may be a gift, but it is given to anyone who honestly asks

I wouldn't claim to really understand such things. But I liked the idea nevertheless.

Actually, you do rot without existence for a long time. So it is written in the Bible.

However, in the Bible, when Jesus returns, the dead shall rise and all will be judged.

Most likely, to the dead it will feel like going to sleep and waking up.

Is nice. I can see how it would be helpful to those with no God. The idea can be rooted in a guy named Spinoza; kind of a pantheism. Not a bag guy altogether. He was a filthy Jew heretic though.

How do you understand the idea of God and of an afterlife?

Have you read any serious work on the topic?

Well, he was also considered a heretic by the Jews, wasn't he? I seem to remember them kicking him out for his views at 25(?).

But that I know this and so little of his work honestly shames me. What book should I start with if I wanted to understand Spinoza?

>I want to believe in something else, something greater, but I just can't logically bring myself to do it.

>faith
>logically

You don't understand how this works m8

please stop, this will fuck your life even more

> muh other cheek
> muh love of thy enemies
> muh whoever wants to save their life will lose it

None of the above is true, especially in rampant capitalism.

As an aetheist i find comfort in knowing my children survive me.

This is your formal invitation to the Illuminati.

Your final initiation test is to push the Big Red Button that destroys the world when it is put in front of you.

Suicide will result in retraction of your invitation.

There is a back door into the Garden of Eden.

youtube.com/watch?v=OxKYfTvZFb8

Read up on sacred geometry. Been telling people the same shit for half a year now. Sacred geometry is the secret the masons know about and keep to themselves. It explains how actually created the universe. Even Leonardo davinci was into sacred geometry.

Oh I forgot. You should learn sacred geometry because it will make it apparent that god created everything and once you find him youve won. Good luck

Letters to an Atheist by Dr. Peter Kreeft. I asked him some hard questions. Couldn't stump him. (He responds to emails from those who have trouble believing.)

> It explains how actually created the universe.

No, it doesn't.

Math explains why certain geometric ratios, series, and motifs appear in the physical world.

Noone knows what happens when we die. Thats the beauty off life. Enjoy life because you have won the lottery. Make Your own thoughts about great afterlife will be. I am God and its Your move NeXT meaning deciding what will happen.

Maths are created by sacred geometry and god. Sacred geometry explains how the holy spirit created the laws of physics. Go read more friend.

If faith is so good why does it require you to suspend your logic to exist?

>Its all meaningless anyways without transcendence

You fucking suck, dude.

I used to think like this, but then I realised how absurd and insignificant our existence is and I stopped caring. Be dignified and make life what you want it, OP. There's nothing more pathetic than believing in something because you're afraid.

"I couldnt find god so I decided to follow satan instead"

Hear that way too often these days

>1:12. I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
>1:13. And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
>1:14. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
>1:15. That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
>1:16. I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
>1:17. And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
>1:18. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

>2:12. And I turned myself to behold wisdom, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.
>2:13. Then I saw that wisdom excelleth folly, as far as light excelleth darkness.
>2:14. The wise man's eyes are in his head; but the fool walketh in darkness: and I myself perceived also that one event happeneth to them all.
>2:15. Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
>2:16. For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
>2:17. Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

-Ecclesiastes

A vote for Trump is a vote for Satan.

A Christian is supposed to hate the sin and love the sinner, and turn the other cheek. Trump does the opposite.

Logic is a human mental construct trying to describe nature. God is above nature.