/who/ - Doctor Who General

The Happiness Patrol edition

What do you think of Doctor Who and Thatcher? Is the Kandyman a crap villain?

Previously on /who/ -

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/2015/bbc-worldwide-annual-review-2015
youtube.com/watch?v=7vHnCoURs7E
youtube.com/watch?v=h6bHaxRrgqQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Been considering rewatching this since I only recently learned a bit about Thatcher. It's a good serial regardless of whether you get that level of it though and the Kandyman is great.

Like Time Worm and Cats Cradle? I think I own all of them. They can be pretty darn brilliant.

Yeah, I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't read them, sorry.

What will you do if the Chibnall era really is a complete disaster of shit?

Complain about it on the internet. What else?

I will still follow it, if it's honestly too bad to watch regularly then I will keep an eye out to see if any promising writers turn in episodes.

Happiness Patrol is underrated, I enjoyed it both times I watched it

>tfw series 10 might be the last good series

Cry.

Agreed. It's my favorite 7 serial.

Mines probably Remembrance, although I've only seen Dragonfire and S25

If the show ever became that bad for me I'd have to drop it completely. Otherwise it's too depressing watching something I was a huge fan of sink so low.

Turn it into funny memes as a coping mechanism

I can never pick a favourite Sylv, everything in S25/26 is really strong apart from Silver Nemesis (and even that's enjoyable as a bad B-movie).

so did BF get good again or is it still trash?

nice meme

I'll just be glad that all the Moffat haters are finally gone.

Even if the show is shit, they will all declare that 'Doctor Who is great again', at least for the 1st couple of seasons. Viewing figures will probably go up for awhile too.

Does /who/ think Moff will still write occasional eps for Chinballs?

Be disappointed that the show hasn't changed, even with a new Showrunner.

I think he will take a long break, possibly for chibnall's whole era, then stage a grand 'return of moffat' to write an episode or two afterwards.

Will the Chinballs era be as popular (from a purely worldwide point of view) as the Moff one?

"Doctor Who S8 was the top selling programme of the year, licensed to 189 territories" - BBC Worldwide.

bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldwide/2015/bbc-worldwide-annual-review-2015

I can see it being huge to start with out of pure hype and 'look it's different please watch my show'

Whether it stays popular will be up to whether it's good or not

It will be fine. It sells because it's Doctor Who. Chibnall would have to make it virtually unrecognisable to put a meaningful dent in that.

Yeah, he'll just focus on Sherlock for awhile.

I feel like Moff's era never met the popularity/significance of RTD's. Not saying RTD's era was better, but there was definitely a feeling of the show being an Event back then.

Back then, just being able to watch TV Who at all, after the long hiatus, was an Event in itself.

The kids loved the cool young Doctor. Also, the Ten/ Rose romance was enormously popular at the time with new Who fans that had never seen the 60s-80s episodes.

Fans are more fickle now.

Yeah, and really the only thing that can bring back that peak is another hiatus. Probably a longer one than the first one, too, since there's now a precedent for bringing the show back.

>ywn be her problematic fave :(

youtube.com/watch?v=7vHnCoURs7E

In the UK perhaps
Internationally the show never got big until moff era

youtube.com/watch?v=h6bHaxRrgqQ

>you could be watching the brand new 6 part power of the Daleks animation RIGHT NOW
>instead, you have to wait til the 5th of November because of fanwankery

fucking bbc

Hey user, should I buy it? I don't have any Doctor Who DVDs yet and I would like to see it. Although Amazon will blast my ass with shipping costs so I guess not.

Just wait til the 21st and buy it in a store, that's what I'll be doing (Australia)

Which was, in part, intentional. RTD once said his focus was the UK audience, and only really took his version abroad for Comic Con during 2009. Moffat then took over and decided to try and break through to America properly.

Yup. RTD had enough to do without trying to sell it in America too. His primary focus was to make DW great and loved again in the UK, and he achieved that.

Same as the last few years. Give it a few chances, hope it improves, then finally give up if nothing changes.

Series 5 was the last great series.

Series 5 was the only great series

No.

8 and 9 are both objectively in the top 3 alongside 5

What's /who/ with you?

RTD was pre social media/widespread internet.

Fuck, I remember taping the first series on VHS.

people still dont know what colour the chumblies were and that makes me happy

RARE information folks

That's a good idea, I forgot stores did that desu (sold stuff). I'll just pop in to JB's or something. Although then I'll have to suffer the judgement of the cashier for liking Doctor Who.

I think that's how it should be. Doctor Who should first and foremost be designed to appeal to its British audience. You make the best possible show for them and the rest of the world will still like it, too. The appeals to American audiences (like Peri, location shooting, etc.) seem kind of desperate and detract from the show.

That universe where they were still scrapping episodes way into 2005, and we can only watch Eccleston through scratchy videotapes.

sounds comfy

Yeah I've gotten most of my collection from JB, they sometimes have doctor who buy one get one free so I got a fair few for free.

Kinda sad they have a better selection than the ABC store, or at least they did where I went, but ABC is all online now so they're basically the same but I don't have to pay for postage

No one gives a shit.

deep down you do

when you lie down to sleep itll enter your mind and torment you... but youll never know.... ill never tell u........

They are pink. The Drahvin clothes are green

you got the drahvin clothes right, but we went through this last thread: the chumblies weren't pink

all the pictures showing them as pink are obviously colourised. there are no colour pictures from galaxy 4

All design in monochrome were done using a scale of tones.
The Ship console is painted light green, for example, but not because it's meant to be green, the paint reflects light back and looks gleaming white in monochrome.

No one cares, Billy.

Who fucking cares?
If its such a big deal then why don't you go back in time and steal a cumblie prop?

It was 50 years ago, not ancient history. Can't they just ask somebody who was there? Peter Purves? Mureen O'Brien? Donald Tosh?

i fucking care because its a RARE piece of information from the BASED john wiles era
yeah that's how we know the chumblies' colour. the info about the drahvin's costumes being green comes from the person who designed them too

It's not a secret. Most normal people just don't give a shit. They are meant to be silvery robots. The prop tone is irrelevant.

my headcanon is that the prop's actual colour is also its canonical colour

e.g. hartnell's tardis console was light green in the context of the show too

they're bright pink, now shut the fuck up.

stop with this meme:

No one cares what you think.

I've been out of the BF loop for about a year maybe a bit more, I liked stuff with 6 and 7 mostly but also really enjoyed 1 audios and Jago & Litefoot.

Now my question is this, has BF come out with something really good and exciting in that time I wasn't paying attention?

I sorta scrolled to their site yesterday and saw a story with two Masters and 7 which sounds cool af but I don't know if I need to listen to other stuff before checking it out, also I remember hearing about a Third Doctor boxset which would be great and some stories about River but I don't really care for her.

This forced meme is boring.

I mostly listen to their Torchwood audios this day.

no meme man, I even started re downloading some stuff yesterday

Two Masters is cool for banter between Masters and all of this puzzle play over who's really pulling the strings. Don't need to know much beforehand other than the Doctor's been encountering odd versions of his friend in the past monthly stories.

Did you listen to the last box set of Hartnell Companion Chronicles around June last year?

It is B changing the subject from his last shitty one no one cared about.

Just so you know, monganon is back and this time he is accusing people of being "Billy" (referring to Billy Howe) or "B". Please report all posts that do this so we can return to having normal discussions, even if they are about something as stupid as Chumbley colours.

I noticed as well. Looks like he didn't learn his lesson.

I haven't, it sounds cool though are they good like the Rocket Men ones? Those where 9/10s

7 has been encountering them or all the other doctors in the main range?

>I haven't, it sounds cool though are they good like the Rocket Men ones? Those where 9/10s
It depends of your taste but some are really good.

>7 has been encountering them or all the other doctors in the main range?
5 met Beevers, 6 met McQueen.

I think it's a very strong and imaginative set, the back two episodes are by Simon Guerrier (who did the Sara Kingdom stories) culminating in a great finale with an older Steven. I'd call it 8/10 overall and getting better as it goes along.

The previous Master encounters were with 5 and 6, it was a trilogy where they each got one story.

Jac Rayner's Vicki story in that set was superb.

hmmm ok ok, then I might consider giving those other a look or at least read a summary considering Davison's stories are not really my cup of tea (excepting Spare Parts ofc)

I will definitely check it out, First Doctor stories are super easy for me to like because Steven, Vicky and Ian always make them super comfy to listen to and all three actors can deliver with lots of pathos when needed, specially William Russell. Susan is my least favorite companion of his but she was OK in The Domain of the Voord.

>Susan is my least favorite companion of his
Somewhere, Dodo is looking pleased.

You should probably listen to The War To End All Wars from the regular series before the last two stories of the boxset.

Well I meant from the Essential First Doctor Companions list ofc which is:

-Ian
-Barbara
-Vicky
-Steven
-Susan

The rest are replaceable although I can't speak for Sara Kingdom cause I haven't listened to her stories.

noted

But Sara Kingdom's stories are awesome. They're the ones that got me hooked into Big Finish.

Seconding this
Home Truths/The Drowned World/The Guardian of the Solar System is an unmissable sequence.

Guerrier's Oliver Trilogy is equally outstanding.

Well I did say I haven't listened to them so I will trust you guys and check that trilogy out considering the other with some Oliver guy doesn't look that exciting.

The Oliver Trilogy is more action based and faster paced than the Kingdom Trilogy.

Honestly, just do all the Guerrier trilogies. They're all great, and I think they work better in order.
Home Truths
The Drowned World
The Guardian of the Solar System
The Perpetual Bond
The Cold Equations
The First Wave
The War to End All Wars
The Founding Fathers & The Locked Room from the boxset
You can throw in The Library of Alexandria or The Anachronauts for good measure.

Btw I hadn't checked the BF site in a long time and it's a relief to see they have now the Collected sections for each Doctor. It's so much easier to search for specific stuff that way.

Also they have some new Freud stories... they sound sorta interesting.

I figured as much with the blurb of each story about how he's on the run from something and well having Steven as a companion who always strikes me as much of an action man than other companions.

Yay, thanks for laying it out plainly and easy to follow.

They did not make the Freud stuff they are distributing.

You can just listen to The Two Masters without listening to the two other stories, they aren't needed.

oh you're right, although I think BF wouldn't compromise their reputation by releasing shitty audios from other companies... although after Terraformers I can't really tell anymore.

Very well, then I'll do that. I hope it's as good as Master

It's not as good as Master in my opinion, but it's still an entertaining story with great banter between the two masters.

It may be good but i'd like to hear a sample first.

The Two Masters is tonally nothing like Master. It is more rompy/comedic.

Oh well, I was expecting something darker because that's where I feel 7 shines the most but I'm sure it can't be bad.

I think I'll give that Freud stuff a listen sometime and report back with my thoughts.

Sadly, Sylv seems to do funny 7th Doctor considerably more often then NA Doctor, these days, even in the NA adaptions.
Like Sophie, it feels phoned in nowadays and that is disappointing.

Yeah that was what I feared, granted I haven't listened to his recent main range output but the stories doesn't look that appealing to me mainly because as you say they seem to be more on the comedic side

It's similar with the Eighth Doctor.

They're no longer heading towards the Time War with him so he's back to being the romantic explorer of the universe.

The main range has been awful in recent times. I'm not sure I've really loved a main range since The Secret History, although I may be forgetting a good one after that.

He is ruined for me by having the shittest, most boring companions in history.
Liv Chenka is like a fucking zombie.

The Two Masters was very good though.

That's got to be because of the War Doctor, right? Around when Dark Eyes 1 was coming out they thought it'd lead into McGann actually fighting in the Time War, and now we know he didn't they kind of have to backpedal that characterization

yes, I guess I'm counting that three doctor trilogy seperately.
That story was definitely entertaining.