Is electronic music real music? why's it so bad?

is electronic music real music? why's it so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v12ttbWvr3I
youtube.com/watch?v=g-5y9zi8egU
youtube.com/watch?v=0ruvmkCq4es
youtube.com/watch?v=nrYgm5MML58
youtube.com/watch?v=5Fs1LMu1kJs
youtube.com/watch?v=dM8GjpzLXqs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihr0y7ayGV0
youtube.com/watch?v=d4nbfPZa9Ws
youtube.com/watch?v=MN6sfJ1qFQg
youtube.com/watch?v=Vny8StvRAzY
youtube.com/watch?v=o_nZghq3mb8
youtube.com/watch?v=E8PpdNrt6KQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8BE4ynrj6A
youtube.com/watch?v=uI5n42A51yE
youtube.com/watch?v=fEn8Nbnqn8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=uucE2ki-Lnk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't agree with this meme, since skrillex is a producer too, a good one in his own right. I can't fault for producers who do most of all the work on their song coming out from the behind the curtain and doing shows. I can't believe I'm defending skrillex, but he isn't a "push play" dj, he actually has mixing skills. Check out his boiler room shanghai china set

>is electronic music real music
why wouldn't it be?
>why's it so bad?
it isn't if you actually listen to it

>a producer too, a good one in his own right
DUDE COMPRESSORS LMAO

epic facebook meme
did you know he also has a song with justin bieber?!? rip music goodbye...

>it isn't if you actually listen to it
i listened to most albums on Sup Forums's electronic chart, they fucking suck

t. electronic "musician"

t. contrarian

Skrillex doesn't even play edm anymore he's mostly plays "bass" music now e.g. deep house, trap, jersey, old school dubstep. Seems his time with diplo in jackU has really influenced his taste to more future beats

>why don't you agree with me reeee

epic

which charts are you talking about?

>what instrument to you play?
>computer

you're hating an entire group of music. that's the most contrarian shit of all time

the first one in the sticky

it's hardly music tho

youtube.com/watch?v=v12ttbWvr3I

why do some people not understand the art of DJs?

why don't you play it?
Let's see what you can do with it hihihi :-)

>do it better loser
great argument, bitch
come back when you learn an actual instrument

>it's hardly music tho
>has composition
>has song structure
>can be played
>"it's hardly music"
you could make that argument about noise, which is considered electronic, but noise isn't EVERY electronic album

>this isn't music

glad to see that rollins is still living in the black flag glory days... a.k.a 35 years ago

hihihi cmon do something with a "computer" and post it hahahah
idiot

>no instruments, just bleep bloops
>isn't actually played live (pressing "play" doesn't count)
>it all sounds the same
I have a hard time believing it's even music. It's definitely bad, though

refer to

because you can't, of course
making electronic music is not easy at all.

ofc electronic music is music, just listen to Mr. Oizo

I want to start making electronic music. I know nothing except very basic music theory from playing jazz instruments in high school.

What do I need to start?

>no instruments
what are synthesizers
>isn't actually played live
youtube.com/watch?v=g-5y9zi8egU
notice how he's not using a computer.
>it all sounds the same
youtube.com/watch?v=0ruvmkCq4es

Stop pretending that's a valid point. With that logic all I have to do is apply flanger to my leads and I'd have a Beatles track.

refer to never heard that one. what does it sound like?
a computer and shit for brains

>Pressing play and stop
>Not counting in the hundreds of hours he put into making the songs.

I never even liked skrillex, but it's not like he didn't put in massive effort.

youtube.com/watch?v=nrYgm5MML58
youtube.com/watch?v=5Fs1LMu1kJs

how the fuck is skrille a good producer? the whole thing about his sound is literally loudness. there's nothing there. your beatles analogy is retarded at best

m8 you better listen to all his albums right now, the first one Analog Worm Attacks is more noisy but almost all his music is Sup Forums compatible

this particular song sound a lot like a death grips song (but this new album is his most normie desu, he has a song with skrillex)
youtube.com/watch?v=dM8GjpzLXqs

>not understanding that music is the art of sound regardless of source
>not understanding the difference between playing an instrument well and creating good music
>living in such a box that your idea of music is permanently attached to performance
>lumping all electronic-based music into popular DJ's
>underestimating the bear infinite sonic possibilities offered by digital sounds and manipulation, allowing music to expand and progress in ways that could never be possible with only rigid instrumentation

T.plebian perspectives

this

infinite possibilities, yet it all sounds like shit
laughing out loud

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihr0y7ayGV0
how is this shit

>yet it all sounds like shit
youtube.com/watch?v=d4nbfPZa9Ws
ok buddy

>Music I don't like isn't music.
Kek. Entitled bitches

I'm not that guy, but Entroducing is hardly an argument for "electronic music" when the entire album is made of samples from records. None of it has been sourced from electronic instrumentation or production.

>literal stealing
>good

sound like bad videogame OST

>sampling
>stealing
pick one faggot

>not understanding the sheer volume of work that goes into mixing a track alone
>not understanding the amount of tinkering and fiddling that it takes to sculpt a sound to perfection
>not realising some electronic musicians do in fact play instruments and have a good knowledge of theory
>not realising this is terrible bait
in the off-chance that you're not just a terrible shitposter, here's some babby's first electronic albums

youtube.com/watch?v=MN6sfJ1qFQg

Sans Leftism, those are all absolute shit. You have terrible taste.

moderat is good though

It's better than most on that godawful grid but still mediocre as fuck. Which says volumes about the rest.

this one is good

youtube.com/watch?v=Vny8StvRAzY

so rec me some good electronic, faggot
>inb4 some repetitive house beat that gets boring within the first 30 seconds

If you really think that this chart contains all the most important electronic music works, you're beyond saving. And no, I won't spoonfeed you, so don't bother to ask.

not that guy but there's this

doesn't matter, it contains a large enough sample for anyone to make an apt judgement on the genre as a whole
if all the albums on a "essentials" chart are fucking trash, then electronic music is beyond saving lmao

For some good electronics I recommend sticking a fucking fork in the nearest plug socket.

sampling is stealing bitch

except that's not even a good chart some fucktard probably made it

>dodging the question

no it's not you fuck

You didn't ask a question.

>if all the albums on a "essentials" chart are fucking trash, then electronic music is beyond saving lmao
You really don't get it, do you?

>dodging the request
you fucking faggot

yes it is. how would you sample something without someone who can play the instruments?
you didn't do it yourself cause you don't have talent, so you take someone else's work, tweak it and call it yours. might as well write your name on the statue of david and call it yours you talentless hack.

you are the kind of guy who loves dream theater and opeth

listen to these albums OP

You were rude and are continuing to be rude, so no, no recommendations for you.

>it contains a large enough sample for anyone to make an apt judgement on the genre as a whole

it really doesn't, it doesn't have a single electronic art music piece, and is limited to a very narrow array of subgenres

>it doesn't have a single electronic art music piece
>xenakis, stockhausen, etc
you're running out of excuses my man

So "smack my bitch up" by The Prodigy is theft until they go back and re-record all the individual samples that make the song? Really gets the noggin joggin'.

All the guys in Dream Theater are better musicians than all your favorite artists

yes, and not it doesn't.

>tell me to stick a fork in a plug socket
>butthurt when called a faggot
if you're gonna act like a haughty cunt on account of your "superior" taste then at least back it up by posting some good albums, you insufferable faggot

You don't understand how sampling works, you are making it sounds like someone is taking a whole track and minimally changing it and passing it off as their own, which isn't what sampling is (but does happen sometimes). Good examples of sampling is where you take a snippet of something and use it to make a new track, which takes skill to do properly.

This samples loads of things but doesn't sound directly like anything it samples.
youtube.com/watch?v=o_nZghq3mb8

Except the entire first fucking row.

I don't owe you anything purely on account of your shit, naive and prejudiced taste.

You already bit that hand that could feed.

i never said theives weren't talented

What about the instruments they sampled? I can play a tune on a guitar yet I didn't invent or even build the guitar so does that mean any music I make with it is theft because the sound itself is not my own?

Fair enough in which case who gives a fuck, everyone has been ripping off everyone else in every field since time began, nothing's original.

nice moving the goalposts there but yeah you shouldn't be lauded for doing something you didn't actually do.

>moving the goalposts
You have no idea what that means, do you?

>hurr my taste is so good i can't let others taint it
you are the reason why Sup Forums is the most hated board on the site

Is right. Eno and other ambient/minimalist artists should be included, as they've been recognized by the academia. When I really come to think of it, they really shouldn't be, because afterr all, ambient music is just music for housekeepers.

It is music, and it's a lot better then some of the ambient shit you call """music""" on this board

>millennials consider these "instruments"
Can't even make this up

Goldie timeless isn't bad, but it needs more stuff like moody good, amon tobin, machinedrum, and noisia. Top notch producers who get little praise

I'd argue that yours - and most others' - crippling insecurity, unwarranted stubbornness and desperate-for-spoonfeeding attitude is much worse for the board as a whole. Why not do your own research? What are you afraid of?

>Amon Tobin
>Machinedrum
>Noisia

>get little praise
Alright then.

Listen to these OP.

Noisia gets it, but that's because everyone likes their stuff. Rarely do they get mentioned on Sup Forums because they make aggressive stuff

Why are you all taking this fucking obvious b8?

GOAT

>moody good, amon tobin, machinedrum, and noisia. Top notch producers who get little praise
Yeah, no.

They don't get "little praise". Although, granted, this is true concerning discourse between people who have - you know - been listening to dance music for over six months.

>moving the goalposts
That's not what you think it means. But why can't you argue that? You can argue against people taking snippets and using them like a new sound/instrument yet when it comes to pre-built instruments you act like it's a completely different thing? All i'm saying is that there's a difference between sampling and either altering it to be a new instrument or to be performed differently, and Rihanna singing different lyrics over the Tainted Love instrumental and calling it SOS. You should learn what that is before being so judgemental towards peoples musical abilities.

I listen to more Drum & Bass than literally everyone on this board and I wouldn't recommend this list, less than a third of it is good and some is outright shit.

I'd say al three are quite big names and mentioned on here often, Amon Tobin and Machinedrum more than Noisia (everyone likes Bricolage and Room(s) caused a lot of shitposting for a while).

Then what would you recommend?

>a guy doesn't like a type of music
>makes thread about said type of music
>everyone wants him to start liking the said type of music
>repeat ad infinitum

errrrytaim

its a fucking bait thread anyway

>everyone wants him to start liking the said type of music
Looking over the fact that it's a bait thread and a lazy one at that, isn't that the point of music forums?

why are electronic fans so easy to bait

Some of that list is fine but there are some massive omissions.
youtube.com/watch?v=E8PpdNrt6KQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8BE4ynrj6A
youtube.com/watch?v=uI5n42A51yE
youtube.com/watch?v=fEn8Nbnqn8Q
youtube.com/watch?v=uucE2ki-Lnk

I think it's pointless making a list of LPs for the majority of electronic subgenres since the best stuff is usually released as 12"s or EPs. And it would be pointless to make a list for any big sub-genre of dance music because there's a lot of variation in it.

>do your own research
i'm not looking to discover new music, i'm trying to gauge the validity of your opinion by listening to the music you find enjoyable. if the music you enjoy is wholly different from what i enjoy, then who can say your opinion on my taste is valid?

>crippling insecurity
>unwarranted stubbornness
my sense of security has nothing to do with my taste in music, and stubbornness is something to be expected from a Sup Forums user, you utter moron.

but above all, it's your utter lack of self-awareness that confounds me. you rudely judge someone's taste as terrible, without contributing anything of value to the discussion, then act like a butthurt little baby hiding behind an exterior of condescending disdain when they're rude right back to you.
"do your own research" is the laziest cop-out in the history of arguments. if i don't know what makes electronic music "good" in your subjective opinion, how the fuck am i supposed to know what to look for?

Not even him, but if you were capable of discovering Sup Forums, you are also perfectly capable of doing your own research on the internet.