How can you listen to both?

One question to people who listen to artists like Morton Feldman, Taku Sugimoto, Otomo Yoshihide and Pierre Boulez (to name some) but also listen to and enjoy artists such as Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott, Playboi Carti, Migos and Drake.

How is this possible?

How/why would you listen to something so superficial and awful when you also listen to something so intellectually stimulating, thought-provoking and innovative? I'm just curious, how is it possible to have a taste this bipolar and is it even possible or people are only pretending?

Are there really people out there who think that one piece by Taku Unami can be just as good as a song by Lil Uzi Vert for example? Explain this reasoning to me, please.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xjUiFeDKo_0
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmybcALM58
youtube.com/watch?v=6wtwpUwxQik
youtube.com/watch?v=BEQEIAmpNaA
rbt.asia/mu/search/text/visceral/
youtube.com/watch?v=3WiYt7gAySw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sometimes you just need to go hard in the paint

pretty much this

>people who listen to artists like Morton Feldman, Taku Sugimoto, Otomo Yoshihide and Pierre Boulez (to name some) but also listen to and enjoy artists such as Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott, Playboi Carti, Migos and Drake.

This is literally me. Can't really explain why I have such taste though.

this

This is kind of like me i can go to Blues to Rap

fpbp

>How is this possible?
ITS FUCKING MUSIC. NOW IF YOU SAID HOW CAN SOMEBODY WRITE AN ARTICULATE DISCUSSION ON BOTH I'D AGREE

BUT ITS PASSIVELY LISTENING TO INOFFENSIVE MUSIC
ITS NOT HARD FFS

>how can you eat both chicken soup and cookies

Different music is enjoyed for different reasons. Nobody listens to Morton Feldman when they want to party, and nobody listens to Lil Uzi Vert expecting a sophisticated, sonically interesting piece.

The owner of Erstwhile records is a huge meme rap fan. If you go to ihatemusic, you can see that he posted about Lil Uzi Vert, Future and Yachty and praised them a lot.

Maybe because most fans of experimental music aren't as pretentious as you think they are?

Also Tony Conrad was a huge Three 6 Mafia fan, just saying.

how does not liking memerap make somebody pretentious?
jfc get over yourself.

This is the most retarded fucking question on here.

fucking retard

I know this is bait, but I'll bite.

It's all music. I feel like people who are aware of both but refuse to appreciate one or the other just aren't good at recognizing the context in which different art is made. Context is really important.

Carti is fun. I'm not gonna be doing drugs with my friends to Morton Feldman (not most of my friends anyway...and not most drugs lol). Hard to party to 20th century classical lol. But then again when I'm feeling morose and contemplative (which is a lot, depression mayn), I'm not gonna be that into listening to some nigga saying what 54 times. Or maybe I will. Maybe I'll need to lift the mood. Idk.

The point is, context is everything. A lot of art is equally brilliant within it's respective contexts.

Different music serves different purposes

>INOFFENSIVE MUSIC

>White bitch! She thick!
>Put that shit all in her pussy, ayy, leave that shit all in her gut, ayy!
>White hoe, lets go, and I only fuck with thick hoe!
>This pretty young white bitch hopped up in my ride!
>She suck my dick then kiss you!
>Shawty wanna kiss me but I know she suckin dick!
>Sucking on my dick, like she knew the dick!
>She sucked my dick, she came home, I bet she kissed you!
>Your bitch sucking my dick just like an edible
>White hoe gon' get me them yayos!
>And I'm cocky, fuckin' on a thotty, she just wanna plot me, bitch can't stop me!
>Fuck me, Bentley coupe I'm riding with a thottie, fuck!
>My iPhone white and my bitch too!

Yeah, it sure is "inoffensive".

Go fuck yourself, retard.

What purpose does Lil Uzi Vert's music serve?

im not a white female
how is it offensive to me?

t. pearl clutcher

this

not that guy but i think he was saying we need to protect white women from the nignogs

>this obsession with black men fucking white women
seek help

user's point
Your head

kill yourself, cuck

>projecting

white women don't need protecting
white men do

How can someone who enjoys eating a gourmet steak also enjoy eating a cheeseburger?

If you deny the

pleasing opulent, hedonistic bravado of this song
youtube.com/watch?v=xjUiFeDKo_0

The cathartic aggression of this song
youtube.com/watch?v=uZmybcALM58

titillating, grimy, morbid curiosity of this song
youtube.com/watch?v=6wtwpUwxQik
you are Boring, uninteresting, and probably dishonest.

Look at it for as a master class in contemporary minimalism. You can't deny the tightly packaged, well presented result. These songs are not for people to pick about the musicality, but to enjoy on a more primal level. That's why there's an emphasis and rhythm and bass. I won't even go into why I think the musicianship isn't bad, either. Wasn't this goal of the impressionist movement, anyway? Sati and Debussy would vibe to this shit.

>Sati and Debussy would vibe to this shit.
shitposting has gone to far.
how can somebody enjoy eating disgusting meat in the first place

Does this trigger you?

nope it makes me happy :)

Listen to Marsupial Superstars by Sahbabii and tell me that the song isn't a brilliant work of art.

Listening to both entry-tier classical and brainless mumblemusic isn't that uncommon in the internet age.

liberty was a mistake
free information was a mistake

The real question here is: Why do certain people believe that classical/experimental/avant music is better than mumble rap?

There's no good and bad when it comes to stuff like this.

I agree OP, Taku Unami and Morton Feldman are superficial and awful. Not sure why you think those shitty soundcloud artists are intellectually stimulating though. You sound gay.

case in point

Because they serve completely different purposes. Sometimes I want to analyze something that has depth and emotional weight and sometimes I wanna get high and sway my arms around like a rapper.

there's also the issue of active vs passive listening
I don't always want or need to give music my undivided attention, and some music requires that to enjoy it.

ayo pierre do you wanna come in here? i got lots of girls and i got lots of drugs in here

I like a certain aesthetic that not many seem to appreciate, and that is the look that happens when a poor person gets money. I wear nice clothes, but I always have that one thing that gives sort of a nod to where I came from, be it a pair of jordans, cuban link chain, etc. I like the contrast.variety is the spice of life and all that. Since i got money and am pretty content with life I don't need to overly stunt on niggas, I also don't have no pretensions so I continue to enjoy hood shit for what they are.

>How/why would you listen to something so superficial and awful when you also listen to something so intellectually stimulating, thought-provoking and innovative?
It's almost like you can listen to and appreciate music for reasons other than jerking off your own ego.

I don't, Rap is filthy peasant trash.

I'm not sure how you managed to be even more insecure and pseudointellectual than OP, but congratulations I guess.

>Yeah, it sure is "inoffensive".
Oh, boy. If you honestly think that's offensive, you're truly beyond saving.

>There's no good and bad when it comes to stuff like this.
Sure, there isn't an objective measure of quality. What you don't take into account is the intent. These are things you can easily find online and since you were capable of discovering Sup Forums, that's not much harder of a task either.

being a music fan in current year is depressing if you use the internet. you'll see kids discovering things they'd never have access to in a lifetime - had they grown up as early as 10 years ago. eclecticty is currency, and apparently everyone of this generation has a black metal phase, a trip-hop phase, a 90s emo phase, etc etc. a little bit of knowledge about everything, but it all feels so soulless. we now have access to nearly all the world's stores of recorded music, so why does it feel like music isn't worth a damn anymore? just the other day my 14-year old brother asked me if i knew anything about The Cure, Amebix, or Bob Marley. what the fuck. he didn't get any of that from my parents, they listen to Chris Isaak and Jimmy Buffet. is he really connecting with any of this stuff on a level that affects him? does he think it's cool? music isn't fucking cool. i don't get laid because i like music. no one takes me seriously because i know things about music. that shit doesn't matter, it's just mental wallpaper.

You're essentially making the "music meant something when there was a scene behind it" you're essentially an out of touch oldfag and should neck yourself people have been making the the in muh days argument since the beginning of humanity. Even in the year 1 ad people were probably bemoaning about the times before the Gregorian calendar

>putting all this thought into stupid music
Have you applied for a job at Pitchfork yet?

Music is a feeling.

It's all about how you feel at that moment.

May put on Magnolia to just have fun, and then I'll throw on Feldman when I'm feeling more quiet and reserved.

Ain't hard dummy.

Rap is just too fucking obnoxious for me, man.
It doesn't speak to me, it's just people talking about doing drugs or fucking.
I don't get the appeal at all. It doesn't connect with me on any level.
Why would I want to sit and listen to a dude talk about him fucking for 3 minutes?

>Why would I want to sit and listen to a dude talk about him fucking for 3 minutes?
Because it's the closest thing 90% of this board will ever get to actually getting laid.

He's got a point, and your ad hom doesn't make it any less valid.

I feel like a king when I listen to trap music, feels great.

I mean look at this youtube.com/watch?v=BEQEIAmpNaA

Thing is, we know that modern trap artists are mostly harmless fun and meant to be enjoyable at small doses. It's not an uncommon phenomenon at all, I can bet whatever you want that the average classical connoisseur wouldn't mind listening to the radio from time to time.
Same goes for similar harmless fun genres like pop punk and AOR

Its simple/ They have no critical capacity. Anything you put in front of them is acceptable. They will pass this off as being of eclectic and broad taste, but its actually the opposite. Ask them to elaborate on why they like both pieces and they will have a real struggle in articulating, see all the posts in this thread. The best they can do is muh relativism and context.

Seriously though, I don't get the appeal. It's just people bragging to a beat, most of the time bragging about the same shit as the next guy.
It's all just obnoxious posturing to me. Some hip hop albums are good, but the very large majority is just some guy talking about shit that doesn't matter to me.
I don't get sitting and listening to someone brag in your ear for an extended period.
It's tactless trash to me.

How can one get so buttblasted by people liking two different genres?

He's correct though, and you know it since you couldn't even try to argue to disprove him.

Why wouldn't I listen to hip hop? Along with punk, metal, and the more rhythm based electronic music (edm and idm) it's really the only forms of popular music worth listening to that complements all my art music and jazz stuff since it brings an amount of intensity/hard hitting feel that's the only thing art music/jazz can't match.

It's the visceral complement to all that cerebral music.

your saying people are dumb for liking classical music and trap. Even though smart people only listen to classical

To let me grind bitches asses in the club

yeah but not mumble rap and trap rap

mumble rap and trap rap are the pop punk and nu-metal of hip-hop, respectively

Oh, boy, the "visceral guy" is back.
rbt.asia/mu/search/text/visceral/

I'm not buttblasted at all. OP asked a question and I gave him the answer.

Why are you listening to the lyrics in any critical manner? These people aren't poets. I'm not even aware of what they're saying half the time. Interesting timbres, cool atmosphere. The beat goes hard. That's what i care about.

Hey, as long as you're willing to admit a huge portion of the experience is absolute shit, fine.

>a huge portion of the experience is absolute shit
I don't believe music without lyrics is shit or that lyrics make the song, so, no

>rapfags' only defense of their trash music is that it "goes hard"
Imagine if you had to actually critically think about music.

Lyrics are a big part of hip hop. If we were talking instrumentals, you'd have a point.
Fact is, lyrics play a huge role in the songs, they're everywhere in it, let's not pretend they're not.
And you admitted the lyrics are trash.
So yeah, a large portion of the experience is shit.

>this guy doesn't understand lyrics don't automatically have to be the important part of the song
bruh if you are listening to someone like playboi carti looking for lyrical content you are missing the entire point. the music doesn't need to change, the way you listen to it does

Then why not listen to instrumentals?

What the fuck does "it goes hard" even mean?

>>rapfags' only defense of their trash music is that it "goes hard"
it isn't, but it's the most poignant one, which is why your only reply is stale, non substantive greentext.
>Imagine if you had to actually critically think about music.
You don't though, music is abstract in nature. It's heavily open to interpretation. It deals with emotions not logic. It's a way of expression in an intangible manner. transcendent abstract feelings spoken through the medium of organized vibrations in the air don't require critical thought, faggot.

Eh, I am not listening to entire albums of that stuff, but for example that newest Migos single Bad And Boujee's great.
Maybe you would know me as something else if you didn't have absurd superiority complexes about music.

Except that most of it is just talking about partying, fucking, and doing drugs, in a very blatant way too.
Don't know how many different ways that could be interpreted, and I certainly wouldn't call it "abstract".

>Maybe you would know me as something else if you didn't have absurd superiority complexes about music.
Great telepathic abilities buddy. I'm sure you'll now quote my posts where I exemplified such behavior. I'm also sure you'll tell me what my name is and which country I'm from. And it's not just one person who's tried to have a discussion about the visceral thing with you.

>You have to personally be offended to know if something is offensive
Do you realize what website you're on? Sup Forums has always been about being edgy and offensive and counter-culture. Nobody on this site gets offended by the words nigger, kike, spic, wetback, retard jigaboo, coon, faggot, cuck, or anything else. But we all know good and well that they're offensive to other people. It's the only reason people even use those words.

>But we all know good and well that they're offensive to other people. It's the only reason people even use those words.
He really could've chosen a better example. It's not like those lyrics he's posted mean anything.

>Lyrics are a big part of hip hop.
Hell na. You some out of touch bitch listening to Boom Bap. Those times are over.
>Fact is, lyrics play a huge role in the songs, they're everywhere in it, let's not pretend they're not.
Nope the beat does. That's why we have untaltned rappers who get their vocals fixed in post, and they can get 500 million views on yt.
>And you admitted the lyrics are trash.
No I didn't, I said the lyrics aren't as important as you're claiming they are, especially not to the point that it makes the music unenjoyable.
>So yeah, a large portion of the experience is shit.
No, you're just a pretentious and can't enjoy things that are popular. You're the most and tedious type of person because of how boring and one myopic your opinions are.m8. I wouldn't even mind your contrarian position if your rhetoric had more meat. Perhaps you're shit

because they ride the beat nice. carti / uzi etc let the beat shine and use their voice as an additional instrumental layer on top
a human voice can sound great in a song even if it is saying nothing

Except that if a white dude said that shit about a black woman, it'd be considered racist.

You really don't get it, do you?

They're important if they're plastered over the entire song.
Holy shit, the fact that people even try to defend it is hilarious.

Apparently not, explain it to me.

It's a copy/pasted rym review

Still right tho

>They're important if they're plastered over the entire song.

Dumbest post in this thread so far. The important elements of art are in the eye of the beholder, and considering how you're in the minority you're opinion is shit. And you inability to understand or even try to see what the majority of people find appealing in this music makes you a shit person. That's what is hilarious

I'm well aware that many flies eat shit, that doesn't make shit any better.

>White hoe, lets go, and I only fuck with thick hoe!
>This pretty young white bitch hopped up in my ride!
>She suck my dick then kiss you!
>Shawty wanna kiss me but I know she suckin dick!
>Sucking on my dick, like she knew the dick!
With lyrics like these, you're setting yourself for not being taken seriously. And let's also not pretend that's the intention of rappers. With that, those lyrics don't mean anything and certainly don't warrant any further analysis. There have been far more offensive lyrics, and what's more, people who wrote them actually meant what they were saying. As far as that part about racism goes - words don't have intrinsic meaning, they have uses. And as I've already explained, rappers aren't the ones to take seriously. Here's an example:
youtube.com/watch?v=3WiYt7gAySw

Oh, fair enough.

is this a chief keef lyric?

Big Boi is a huge Kate Bush fan. People listen to stuff you wouldn't expect all the time

Not what I was getting at.

Music is subjective. So far you've yet to give nothing but opinions. And every asshole has one, maybe the shit the flies are eating are the opinions coming out of your ass. You've yet to give any solid reasoning for why it's bad, you haven't even gotten close to saying anything that is quantifiable.

Ever

Just because you don't wanna accept my reasoning doesn't make it any less valid.

Sorry,t his ain't just about me. it's if everyone in the room is laughing except you, then you're probably the reason why. You're essentially the edgy person in those pictures where everyone is the same, and one person has an emo haircut or something.

>resorting to ad hominem instead of debating like a civilized person
Alrighty. I'm done with you, user. Have fun with these made up scenarios in your head.

No, you're just wrong. Music isn't subjective. Nobody believed music was subjective until relatively modern times.