Am I an uneducated pleb or was this movie genuinely the incredible piece of shit I'm pretty sure my girlfriend just...

Am I an uneducated pleb or was this movie genuinely the incredible piece of shit I'm pretty sure my girlfriend just made me watch?

>muh symbolism and muh dystopia
>such plot. so deep. very wow
>such cliffhanger

This was one of the mind-numbingly stupidest movies I've ever fucking seen. I would elaborate but I'm either expecting all echoes or a resounding chorus of hate at my insolence.

it was a comedy.

who here /firsthalfwasgoodbutonceheleftthehotelthemoviewenttoshit/ ?

But it wasn't funny

This.

The only people who hate this movie are the ones who want to feel special by exclusively watching /2deep4you/ kino.

if you couldnt detect the humor then I fear you may have a bad case of the Autisms.

>Colin Farrell
Dropped

the joke was that it was intentionally unfunny?

>muh
>such
>very
>implying I'm going to discuss shit with you if your argument is literally 'I didn't like it'
I don't think you're even reddit, I just think you're an idiot

That's like saying that people have different views on humor...

nah

mmm..

I didn't like how it made me dislike my frenchfu.
I did it enjoy it for what it was but it was rather slow and literally 98% of the characters appeared to be autistic, so can definitely see why people wouldn't like it

I bet you don't like Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt either

Rock the bait, rock the bait, faggot

Leave this thread, leave this thread now~

Also
>pretending to have a girlfriend

>muh
>Stale tumblr meme
Is your girlfriend hot?

He (correctly) sees that it is a comedy, becuase it's funny to him, while you don't because you find it unfunny.
Lanthimos always makes many of his characters autistic. 4 out of all his movies I have watched are like that.

yep, felt the exact same way

>>muh symbolism and muh dystopia
>>such plot. so deep. very wow
>>such cliffhanger
how to spot a fucking idiot 101

Your biggest mistake was thinking it's "deep." It's very surface level, and a COMEDY. It sounds like you're the pretentious one expecting more from something that wears it's subtext on its shoulder.

Not OP, but this post is Cringe

I disagree. I remember thinking "okay I get it," but thankfully they changed it up. Showing the other "opposite" side with their crazy flaws was a lot of fun. However, that part dragged on a bit as well.

Insisting that this is on some high echelon of comedy is even more pompous than insisting that this movie is really deep.

Sup Forums never lets me down.

In what world does being a comedy give you a free pass to be boring

Actually I enjoyed the second half more

>he can't into British humour
too dry for you?
go watch seth rogen smoke weed or whatever it is you amerifats call comedy

I'll take that as a no.

>has a gf
>doesn't understand loner autist kino

Surprise surprise

1. they wern't british
2. the director is greek

>loner autist kino
>falls in love

this desu

chad and stacy can fuck right off

>falls in love

Oh wow you really didn't understand it

thats the joke u fucking mong

>Not being super excited to be a Parrot with your NEETbros

what do you mean?

he was contemplating going blind to stay with his gf

>mfw people walked out when I went to see it
I found it fine though. It's just that tonally people aren't expected to see such an out-of-place style and it can be disturbing. Once you spot the intentionality behind it you realize it's quite good.

1. almost all of the cast was from England
2. it had English comedy sensibilities (as most of Europe do, England are just the ones Amerifats are familiar with because they can't into other countries' films)

>Comedy

Wow, they're really committed to this hilarious joke

>high echelon of comedy
nowhere in his post does it say that, try again

No one insisted it was hilarious, but the exaggeration in it is pretty clear, you can see it's humorous (or in your case, that it tries to be humorous) from miles away. Did you really think manipulating others' words would work for you?
It doesn't. You didn't appreciate the slow pace (it wasn't even that slow) and exaggerating humor but others did.

>such plot. so deep. very wow
go back to plebbit
no surprise considering the humor you displayed in the OP.

I tough he was a NEET virigin but the fucker had a wife. Dropped it.

same senpai

>something can't be two things at once

But not out of love. He just doesn't want to stay alone.

I don't mind a movie with a slow pace and I like both exaggerated and nonexaggerated humor.

This movie was just shit.

I think your personal feelings are clouding the interpretation. It clearly shows them falling in love and being punished for it.

If you didn't laugh at the "There were biscuits everywhere" line, then your sense of humor is absent.

>>muh symbolism and muh dystopia
>>such plot. so deep. very wow
>>such cliffhanger

No one who writes like that should be in any doubt about being a pleb.

>wife dies
>don't find new wife quick enough
>be send to mating institution in order to find a partner or else
>inbetween you'll get to hunt rogue singles who live in the woods with tranquilizer guns
>whoever doesn't find a partner will be transformed into an animal
>mastrubation is verboten and offenders will be tortured
>what kind of animal do you want to be "a fucking lobster"
>find a women you don't love to get the romance gestapo of your back
>she's cold as ice and kills your brother who was transformed into a dog
>escape the institution and fall in love with another rogue single who ultimately assists your suicide

It's just an absurdist movie mocking modern society.

First half was pretty good, surprising because I fucking hate Dogtooth and his stupid director.

Second half was pretty meh and could have been better if they just stayed in the hotel.

Yeah, but the act of going blind didn't seem to be out of love.

>>escape the institution and fall in love with another rogue single who ultimately assists your suicide

Did we watch a different cut?

He ditched her at the diner

>It's just an absurdist movie mocking modern society.

Yeah I got that, but it just didn't do anything for me.

>you can see it's humorous

I actually can't. iI did laugh at myself for a second for watching such a bad movie. Then I laughed pretty hard at the people who paid to see it in theaters.

>If we say it's enough things, maybe at least one of those things will stick.

Too bad "Biggest Pile of Dogshit" isn't an oscar category.

If I did, It was probably a barely audible "pssh"

You put Kevin James in there, have him fall down on a hoverboard a bit, then we'll talk.

you know you can fall out of love also?

I remember him cutting his wrists or something.

What's your point?

>It's just absurd

FTFY my friend

its dark dry comedy

watch Dr. Strangelove and the royal tenebaums those are good starting points for that type of humor

think of it as a documentary about autists trying to date

If I heard someone speaking like you I would punch them. I hate you OP, I hope you die and never again see a thread made by you again.

Are you sure you watched the same movie? In the end he was just about to blind himself with a fork.

>ditched her
He went to cut out his eyes so they had something in common again.

Same difference.

I think you are remembering it wrong. It is a somewhat open ending but it strongly suggests one of two outcomes and him offing himself wasnt one of them.

Also this is unabashedly the Movie of the Year.

1) The Lobster
2) Hail Caesar
distant 3rd) Green Room

thanks for spoiling the arthouse movie half of Sup Forums hasn't seen.

and that is the least likely of two scenarios.

he looks in the mirror before he does it and has a change of heart, and no screams are heard

the movies been out for a year, if your clicking on this thread and you havnt seen it then you deserve it

Wow much mad

Very piss

I'm probably doing people a favor by spoiling this.

Hail Caesar sucked too.

I thought it was overall pretty funny and entertaining

Have you ever read a book by Franz Kafka? The movie very much reminded me of something like "Der Prozess". The protagonist is thrown into a surreal, weird world that is never explained at all. The confusion you feel while reading is part of the intention. You are supposed to feel confused, disoriented etc. The mechanics in the book are supposed to defy all attempts of explanation. From the subjective view of the protagonist nothing that happens to him makes any sense and to transfer this impression to the reader, the mechanics are purposefully presented as completely ridiculous.

I think the same happens in "The Lobster". The movie is about how cold, alien and incomprehensible the mechanics of love, relationships can appear, especially in the context of society as a whole. I thought it does that brilliantly.

>you can at least see it tries to be humorous
>LOL NO I CANNOT SEE HOW IT IS HUMOROUS CAUSE ITS SHIT
I don't even know why I tried to argue with you people. You are just mad most people see something in it that you can't.

I thought it was hilarious.
It reminded me of Roy Andersson.

No, I can see it tried to be humorous

But trying to be humorous doesn't automatically mean it's humorous.

Pleb opinion: this movie sucked
Pleb who thinks he is patrician opinion: this movie was good
Patrician opinion: this movie sucked

not everyone has the same sense of humor news at 11

Had a few laughs, but it really was rather unbearable.

>haha isn't this silly? hahah oh wow this is so silly isn't it? hahahah

>You are just mad most people see something in it that you can't.

Or maybe I'm right, the movie was bad, and you're a pompous, pretentious fuck.

And so what if I am?

he either
a. ditched
b. was coming back and is blind now
c. coming back but didn't do it and isn't blind
d. accidentally killed himself, is bleeding out

the appointment to surprise blind her is actually the most fucked up thing I've seen in a movie in a while...

Or maybe the movie just isn't for you. Different movies speak to different people. Nobody can "get" everything they see, sometimes movies that are well made seem bad because they don't appeal to us. The worst however are people that think that movies (and art, and literature etc) have some kind of singular, absolute value without any subjective component. They are bad or they are good and if you think otherwise you are wrong. That's just bullshit. An example, if you show a person who's never been into any kind of serious relationship a movie about relationships, chances are that he won't get it. It will appear implausible to him, things that are the core of the story will seem irrelevant etc.

true patrician opinion: it was good until he left the hotel at which point it was mediocre

but yeah, it was an entertaining analogy for the way society pressures people into relationships and makes them feel excluded if they don't participate - felt that analogy dissolve once he gets out of the hotel, and that was really the fun part of them movie for me

It felt like Aki Kaurismäki directed a scifi film

Sausage Party was much funnier, huh OP.

The second half was necessary and also good, but I'd preferred it if it was more about 2/3rds hotel, 1/3rd rest.

I thought it was extremely funny in how deadpan it was presenting the complete absurdity as if it was completely normal.

It was hardly falling in love by normal standards, they just have a very weird world.

He was afraid of being alone, and he bonded with her over a shared feature. When that shared feature was taken away he was so afraid that he would lose their bond, that he contemplated creating a shared feature again.

>The movie is about how cold, alien and incomprehensible the mechanics of love, relationships can appear, especially in the context of society as a whole.

Yup, that plus mocking the focus society has on relationships and exaggerating it to this level where you're required to have a partner.

It's basically a "no singles policy"-thread: the movie

and having to share a similar thing is part of that weird world

It isn't deep at all, it's literally just a comedy that happens to involve people speaking in incredibly verbose, specific and clipped English instead of as they would in real life.

at least it wasn't riddled with poncy conceptual shots like picrelated.