/arthouse/ general

Discuss art films, artists and aesthetics.

Plebs need not apply.

Aronofsky is in there. One of the few that can claim to have unique aesthetics and style.

I stopped carrying a cellphone after seeing this film. They are fundamentally cancerous.

Jodorowsky is also in there. A real artist.

haven't seen it but I don't think it's for me.
ethno-tourism films, as I call them, are not my taste. I understand that some people can like them as a sort of exploration, journey, but I prefer journeys into the imaginary and the lyrical world than journeys into a remote yet real culture.

calling it an ethno-turism film is a bit belittling

sure.

>plebs need not apply
>posts picture of refn
I think you've ostracised yourself from your own thread m8.

I specifically requester for people like you not to come.
Please leave.

So, I have on my list Fear X then all of Lynch.
Pnly God Forgives and eraserhead are my favorites movies.
Then I want to pass to Jodorowsky but I'm afriad he'll be too dense for me and I wont get it and i'll just get bored.
Keep in mind that I like watching movie for the intellectual experience more than for the emotional one. I like to decypher images most of all.
Do I have to read or watch something before delving into Jodorowsky?

Refn isn't arthouse, an arthouse director is tarkovksy, Bergman, or tarr. Refn doesn't belong and I'm a fan of him

I've seen two of his films(el topo and holy mountain). They're are both of full of symbolism and the visuals are what drive the story forward, how you see his films is up for your own interpretation. He's a great director imo

And I hope we respectfully close this debate with this before we shitpost to death maybe the first good thread on Sup Forums in month.

>inb4: muh wikipedia

Suprisingly fine chin in this photo

But Refn's films mostly see a wide-release and are enjoyed by casual film goers.

He is just a mainstream filmmaker that's a little more challenging.

Just fucking watch his stuff and stop asking people for tips on how to approach it. Use your brain.

i dont watch american movies because to me they are ethno-turism films, since i am from england

this

nice peperino meme imagerino you got there, bro

N
W
R

What are some films with a great combination of music and visuals like The Fountain or Refn's work in your opinion?

Also Ex Machina

haven't seen under the skin but I don't think ex machina fits that category. The visuals are nothing out of the ordinary and I can't remmember one score from the movie.

I respectfully disagree. The only movie of his casual film goers would have seen was Drive. Maybe Only God Forgives if they were fans, but then most probably got completely turned of. Refn isn't someone that they seek out to watch.

This is just assuming we're talking about the US, his movies flop over here.

Why? Because casual goers don't watch Refn.

Revenge of The Sith

The music is over the top amazing.

I don't have the webm but that scene in OGF where the thai man who lost his daughter and his arm is explaining himself to the main character, slow mo and music over a man virtually begging for his life to someone who doesn't even understand the language.
Kinaestesic.

That prick got the kino but he always fail to put content in it. It makes me rage to think what a waste of dope shots in every fucking single movie of his.

there is content. There are themes.
The definition of kino is visual and audio story telling instead of straighforward narration or dialogue.
Refn doesn't tell you what the story and themes, he hints at them.

Bullshit. He can set an atmosphere but then all his shit falls apart because the plot is non existant and he tries to make up for with random gore, cheap symbolism and bullshit aka tryhard arthousing

I'm thinking of seeing Multiple Maniacs tonight at my local arthouse. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

>the plot is non existant

Why is that a bad thing?

don't feed the troll.

This is what i watched recently by anons recommendation.
I don't know the history of the movie but it seems that it had rough time finishing production because some scenes were made as far as 2012 and movie got release in 2015/2016.
Thats a huge gap from filming to release.
now given the structure of the movie I would guess this wasn't an issue but still it hints on problems during production.
I did not liked the camera work simply because it was missing post production at places and it looked very cheap,like scenes were made with handy cam.
Structure of the movie was very simple but I assume i missed out on a lot of visual things because I was confused by it at the beginning and was trying to follow along the narration and context.
I would have liked it more if they had definitive ending on the protagonist story along with the legend of the price.

>legend of the prince*

The only film of his that got an actual wide release was Drive and general audiences hated that, everything else had been pretty small, just look at TND.

I wasn't surprised by the special thanks to Jodorowsky in the credits considering they were hinting at collaboration on twitter post if im not mistaken.
It actually explains a lot of things not typical of refin that found place in the movie.
Luckily all the things the fucking junky came up with falls in line with the movie and i dont mind them.

Jodorowsky just makes shit up. His films are entertaining but there's nothing 2deep4u and the metaphors are pretty obvious. El Topo is his masterpiece.

>wide release
>enjoyed by casual film goers

So you have no clue what you're talking about, then?

If you fail to see the substance in this film you must be brain dead. Its one of his most obvious and straightforward films

Never seen it but why not? I'd watch it if it were playing in my town

I have seen 30 minutes of this and i hate the filming style. Beautiful visuals but unnutaral cuts make it unwatchable. Maybe im the only one but i just could finish it.
There is a pretty straightforward plot which is easy to understand.

Couldnt*

What do you think of Winter Light OP? Watched it a couple days ago, got so depressed I had to watch 8 1/2 just to cheer myself up. I legitimately think it's Bergman's best work even though Persona has better shots.

Of course you are not the only one. World is full with plebs with the same deficiencies

the cinematography in refn's movies are so good

discuss

>The definition of kino is visual and audio story telling instead of straighforward narration or dialogue.
Where the fuck did you get this from?

Yes

arthouse more like farthouse lmao

>unnatural cuts

Get good, pleb. Watch Malick's entire filmography in chronological order, by the time you get to KoC everything will make sense.

This is objectivly wrong.

Nd is super straightforward. If you think the plot is "non existent", then congrats youre a pleb who didnt get it.

Just watched this yesterday.

Please don't be fooled by the shitty American title and poster. (Age of Uprising: The Legend of Michael Kohlhaas)

Makes it sound like a Hollywood type medieval action movie, which it isn't.

i love the neon colors in refn's movies. the contrast is so good

What are some more films with neon?
>neon demon
>drive
>scarface
>only god forgives

What did you guys think of Inland Empiere?

I just watched it for the first time and thought it was great. the SD camcorder look took a while for me to get used to but once I did I was fully submersed in everything going on in the movie. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did

The guest

This movie is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.
I wont fo as far as saying it's arthouse but it's surely a TOP KINO.
I cried so much at this scene

Out of 5 stars, where do you rate it?

Suspiria. It's more grindhouse than arthouse, but the use of colors are beautiful. It's a well made horror movie.

You should rewatch it. The meaning of the film is actually found in its "structure", while the visuals are just eye candy. This makes it hard to watch as a traditional movie, but pretty brilliant as a piece of filmmaking. Think about the "narrative" and how the structure of the film plays into that.

Some of the scenes WERE filmed with handycam (GoPros) and Malick and Lubezki love handheld shots so I'm not sure why you were surprised by that.

What a coincidence, I stopped driving to hilltops looking for a signal and giving rides to village kids after turning over a turtle and throwing bones into river after seeing this film. They are fundamentally cancerous.

Any Malick

Bump.