Why is nobody talking about Sully here?

Why is nobody talking about Sully here?
Was it really that bad?

What is it, a Monsters Inc. spinoff?

It's an extremely "who cares" movie. I hope no body even cared when it happened.

Sully is a hero. Nuff said

>not an Uncharted tie-in
But he looks just like dude and he flies a plane.

Because the torrent isn't out yet.

Because Sup Forums waits until there's a cam rip of a movie. They don't go to see things in theaters because they're afraid of the no singles policy.

Staring Tom Hanks, directed by Clint Eastwood

So it'll win the Oscar for best picture right?

no one gives a fuck. It was a story that was on air for like 2 days because it was neat and people were happy things ended well, but it's hardly something you can base an entire movie around.
There's no drama because you already know how it ends, there's no one to root against, there's not any surprises about the real cause of the crash, nothing.
Most real life event tie-in movies work by exploring some smaller or unique aspect of the event that most people don't know about. There's none of that here. Friendly guy flies a plane, has mechanical trouble, lands it on a river because he's a competent flyer. It's not like Apollo 13 where you have surprises and new problems every 15 minutes and are genuinely interested in seeing how the problem is going to be resolved. It's just "guy does his job" the movie

>that extended dream sequence where Sully imagined a shitload of planes smashing into various NY buildings

Woah Clint you really went too far

btw this literally happened in the movie

Can't imagine how much filler Clint put in to fill a movie when it's a simple story of a normal trained pilot who landed a plane on the hudson like 3 minutes after take off.

It was actually a pretty great movie, but the reason nobody's talking about it here is because it is a lot like its hero: quiet, understated, and simple.

It's not the kind of movie that draws a lot of attention - but Sully the real pilot didn't draw attention either. He just thought he had done his job.

>guy does his job the movie

In all fairness, the dude did something fairly incredible. It was unprecedented for a bird strike to take out both engines of a plane (had literally never happened before) and it was also unprecedented to lose both engines at an altitude that low. Also, it is very rare for every single person on a plane to survive a water landing.

Sully successfully got them out of all three situations. He was a humble guy and just thought he did his job - but that was still some ace fucking piloting that nobody had had to do before.

The movie is also more of a character piece - it's not really about the crash (movie starts after the crash happened) as it is about how people react to it. The point of the movie is that it's not big and flashy - just that sometimes a little good news is worth something too.

It wasn't outright bad. Character development left a bit to be desired.
is right, it's hard to make a feature length movie about something that literally took 208 seconds to happen. The fact that Eastwood stuck to being technically and historically accurate(for the most part) was refreshing and admirable in today's climate of film. This also hinders the movie by boxing it into complying with the truth leaving little room for dramatic frivolities.

It was very strange seeing a movie where the worst thing that happens to anybody in it is getting cold and wet for a half hour. This was kind of nice making me feel good after the movie yet leaving me unfulfilled due to lack of drama.

Technically the film was pretty on point as much as hollywood can be. Being a pilot and having read the actual NTSB report of the accident and listening to the cockpit voice recordings probably makes me a bit biased. The only moments in the movie that I caught as being unrealistic where like two shots of the crash were the plane appeared to be lower than the altimeter was showing. I'm guessing this was for dramatic effect.

Sully is a hero. He was also extremely lucky. This is a film about the American man and his sense of duty performing his job to the best of his ability in the face of chaos.

3.75/5

Exactly this. It's a damned good movie, but not all that open to interpretation and analysis. A couple of things I really liked, though:

>dat kino jogging sequence with the steam
>Sully's walk through the air bridge down to the plane.

I don't know what combination of elements pulled off that air bridge scene, but it was so well done, you could practically smell the airplane.

Needs to establish some backstories first. A businessman with happy family kissing his young daughter goodbye. A couple with relationship problems who can suddenly reconcile later in the movie. The usual BS.

>Being a pilot
Is it worth it for me to join the air force so I don't have to pay 50grand to start being a pilot/pay for my own flight hours?

Yeah Clint's soundtrack during the jogging was nice and subtle. I didn't know he was a jazz pianist. Dude's 87 and still directing great movies and scoring them too... kind of fucking insane. Nobody talks about him much cuz he's not a flashy director... but the fact that he's still making good movies at almost 90 is a fucking feat

It's not about the crash.
The movie starts after the crash had already happened. It's about how people react to it and how the airline tries to pin it on him. The crash is a surprisingly well done setpiece but is NOT what the film is about.

what the fuck is this movie even about?

the only interesting section of this guy's life is the five minutes from the plane taking off until him being picked up in a boat.

what the fuck else is there to see?

it's like 127 Hours. We all knew we were only there to see him cut his arm off.

I was enlisted in the Navy for 4 years and got out with the GI bill. Thats how I paid for my flight training

I watched Jersey Boys (on an airplane) with no real knowledge of Frankie Valli, I was pleasantly surprised to see Clint's name at the end. Especially for such a low-key movie.

See

Are you a commercial pilot then or still working your way up? I assume the Navy doesn't train any pilots. I've just got into actually researching the career pathway for being a pilot.
>tfw I will never have enough connections to be a cargo pilot for FedEx.

Pretty much this which is why we got a movie like Flight instead of Sully 3 years ago.

You also forgot the part where we know exactly how it ends so nothing is truly climactic

I just got my commercial licence with a university. We've had classes that look at accidents including this one.
The Navy does have pilots, quite a few. You'd need a degree to become an officer and then be selected for flight training.

It's not about how it ends. It's about how it happens. It's a character piece - how did the pilot feel about what he had done? How did the airline react? How did the media react? How did New York City react? If none of those questions are interesting to you, then don't see it. However, it is still a really solid movie. Great acting all around, surprisingly good CGI during the plane crash, and a quiet little story of everyday heroism that touches you a bit more than A GIANT FUCKING DISASTER MOVIE WHERE WHOLE CITIES EXPLOOOOODE

Are there any other movies about pilots?

There's another really suspenseful one about a vietnam vet with drinking problem

Top Gun
just be prepared to be turned gay

didn't this movie get made already?

but it had denzel washington instead of tom hanks

Yes but it was about an alcoholic who dealt with an almost certain fatal malfunction that had never happened before while high as balls and he had to prove he didn't cause the crash by being high.

>Why is nobody talking about Sully here?

Because this isn't a board for soccer moms.

Washington played a guy that was drunk when he did some spectacular bullshit (That ended up in the deaths of many people on the plane)
Despite that he saved 3/4 of the flight who would've certainly died without him.

Hanks plays a non alcoholic who did his job well and saved the entire flight.

So to those who've seen the movie, whats the actual conflict? Sully landed the plane and all the people survived. In the trailers it seems like people are harrassing him for not doing it a different way?

I really just dont get it at all. An accident happened, a pilot responded as best as he could in probably the most stressful situation of his life, and the pilot successfully landed his plane with full survivors.

That's exactly it. The initial data showed that he still had power to one engine, and even if he had not, the simulations they ran both with computer as well as live pilots showed he should have been capable of making it back to Laguardia or over to Teterboro.

the only thing that interested me about it is how they could make a movie out of such an uninteresting and short event. I just don't care.

I fucking loved this film. Because it wasn't about him landing the plane but his alcohol/drug addiction and addictions in general.

Really powerful

seconding this request

Niggers being drunk and having little self control isn't powerful.

Its just what they do.

I don't see how this wont bomb, even if it's not shit.
> the yearly tom hanks Oscar bait
> about an event only a few years ago that ended fine .
> few people hurt , no deaths and was forgotten about inside a month
Everyone knows how it will end and no one gives a fuck

its more than half of its budget already. It'll do fine monetarily

the over/under for the weekend was projected at 25 and it is on pace after last night to do 35. it is a solid hit already.