This is the city of Shibam in Yemen...

This is the city of Shibam in Yemen. All of these buildings were built with mud bricks in the 1500s and are considered the first use of vertical construction in history. It's called the "Manhattan of the desert" and these towers were built to protect it's residents from attacks by elevating them above the ground.

Any other interesting ancient cities or architectural feats?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WaLRMq8sgYM
youtube.com/watch?v=yf5qICeSKYE
youtube.com/watch?v=mE6Fy1s0pfU
youtube.com/watch?v=0fMoeTr0zbA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When you clap in front of the Kukulkán pyramid the echo sounds like a bird

youtube.com/watch?v=WaLRMq8sgYM

I don't think that was intentional though. It's like those caves somewhere in Europe (I think) that sound like music

The same happens in Teotihuacán

youtube.com/watch?v=yf5qICeSKYE

That's because these (and the Gizeh Pyramid) are not human constructs

ayyy lmao

>I don't think that was intentional though
Fuckers were math pros the fuck are you talking about pajeet ching lee

Too bad Yemen is currently getting bombed by the Americans without getting any international attention

Pretty sure there were other, smarter civilizations at the time and you don't see this shit in their buildings. If it was intentional, it was because they worshipped birds (or so I heard). Like that Mexican birdman thing

Too bad the saudi and iranian fagots must ruin everything beautiful they touch.

But it was by design. If it wasn't the guy in charge would have just remade the whole thing.
>inb4 clapping is an american invention so they didn't know it then

WE WUZ MANHATTAN N SHIT

It literally sounds like a quetzal, one the most appreciated birds.
youtube.com/watch?v=mE6Fy1s0pfU

I hope you don't mean together because they want to cut each other's throats. Don't know why they're bombing Yemen though. Proxy war? Saudi-Iran Cold War?

How the fuck do you build a pyramid that creates that kind of sound though? First off the soundwaves are travelling in every direction so you have to account for how they hit the sides of the pyramid, then regulate the reflection to produce a certain frequency. All the Greeks could do was make things louder so how the fuck did the Mayans (I assume) do this?

Ancient aliens.

No pierdas tu tiempo en explicar acerca de Quetzalcoatl. Yo dejé de gastarme con los gringos. No vale la pena.

>I don't think that was intentional though.
kek
Guess that the shadow of a serpent appearing during equinoxes on the pyramid of the Quetzal-serpent (Quetzal-coatl or Kukulkan) is also a coincidence.

>All the Greeks could do was make things louder
Lies. They had way more tricks than that up their sleeves as far as acoustic engineering is concerned.

If you mean in terms of music then yeah the Greeks were quite advanced with their instruments and music theory. But I have yet to see an ancient Greek building that could perform "sound tricks".

Goddamnit, why did they have to fuck up Yemen so bad? Would really love to visit. Sana'a also looks really nice.

Because even though they're sworn enemies, they're both Muslim nations and they don't want to fight in the "holy land" or mess with a nuclear power directly so they gotta fight it out in some other country. Could've at least had naval battles the fucking idiots

Yemen looks legit dope though.

youtube.com/watch?v=0fMoeTr0zbA

>so how the fuck did the Mayans (I assume) do this?
The New World is underrated desu The building was also built on top of a cenote,. There are many other cool buildings, but quite unfortunately they are not as well documented.

One of my favorites is the Mixtec temple of Mitla built without mortar, and whose foundations have a mechanism of rotation to withstand earthquakes, that recharges with the seismic force.

The problem with people who look at these structures is that they extrapolate and assume the entire culture was this advanced when in reality most of these structures were built for religious reasons and everything else was still stone age technology. Like in a lot of Egyptian "historical" movies you'll see the kings and queens living in temples for some reason when in reality they just lived in large brick palaces that are no longer around. These kind of megalithic structures required way too much time and effort to be built for trivial purposes. You can't assume an entire culture was advanced just because they had a handful of cool buildings.

I'm still curious how ancient civilizations cut stone. Every demonstration I've seen only explains how they split them, but not how they shaped them into perfect rectangles.

>trivial
They were searching for truth. What's the difference with NASA, really, not kidding, what's the fucking difference. Fuck you ignorant kids should lurk before you post, Sup Forums and later Sup Forums are the places for your illiterate kind

This, tbqh, and while I don't know a lot about the normal life of native Mesoamericans, I'd think that if they had the resources for such pursuits, they were probably pretty prosperous in general.

Another is the Pyramid of Niches at El Tajin and its related with a nearby mountain. During the first 15 minutes of dawn the sun illuminates 183 of the 365 niches progressively and only then the rest of the surrounding buildings.
The pyramid is the located almost at the center of pic related.

Because America bombs whomever they like

>I'm still curious how ancient civilizations cut stone. Every demonstration I've seen only explains how they split them, but not how they shaped them into perfect rectangles.

The mainstream explanation is basically "very carefully lol". I'm not saying that ayylmaos did it or WE WUZ NEW WORLD N SHEEEIT but god damn is the official account of human history awful. Fucking Göbekle Tepe was more distant from Mesopotamia ("the beginning of civilization") than Mesopotamia is to us right goddamn now and yet not only was it a large, complex and incredibly precise temple complex but it was fucking deliberately buried, and unharmed at that. It wasn't conquered or concealed by a sandstorm or a flood or something; it was deliberately and methodically filled and covered by human activity without being damaged.

In an overly simplyfied manner the stages are 1. Needs; 2. Interests. When you satisfy your needs, you can go on and take care of interests. Mesoamericans had time to devote a class of their citizens to look at the starts, play with numbers and build cool shit with fucking stones. The same happened with the Inca empire. And they are considered barbaric by the 90% of anglos, which are supposed to have a better understanding of the english language than I do. Elvis! sacúdete en tu cripta

>and its related with a nearby mountain
*and its relation

Albeit I mostly agree, considering that in most of the Mesoamerican cities commoners lived in basically neolithic huts, it depended considerably on the region and time.
For example, it seems that many parts in Central Mexico were not half bad when Europeans arrived.

>"The city of Iztapalapa contains twelve or fifteen thousand houses; it is situated on the shore of a large salt lake, one-half of it being built upon the water, and one half on terra firma. The governor or chief of the city has several new houses, which, although they are not yet finished, are equal to the better class of houses in Spain –being large and well constructed, in the stone work, the carpentry, the floors, and the various appendages necessary to render a house complete, excepting the reliefs and other rich work usual in Spanish houses.
- Cortes, second letter of relation to Charles V

>Our route now lay across the territory of the township Xocotlan. We sent before us two Indians of Sempoalla to the cazique, to acquaint him of our approach, and beg of him to give us an hospitable reception. As the inhabitants of this district were subject to Motecusuma, everything wore a different aspect, and we marched forward with the utmost precaution and in close array. For the rest, we were as much pleased with this spot as with many a Spanish town, on account of the numerous and beautifully whitewashed balconies, the dwellings of the caziques, and the elevated temples wholly built of stone and lime. We, therefore, called it Castilblanco, which name it still retains; for a Portuguese soldier, who was among our troops, assured us, the place was very like the town of Casteloblanco in Portugal.
- The True History of the Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, Chapter LXI

Something similar happens with Santiago. The Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas was built on top of an old building that aligns with the first sun light from the highest mountain in the Andes. Fucking hell this thread was made so late. I'm tired af to reach for the paper.

fuggin shame desu
if you post it tomorrow please put inca in the name of the thread in case i miss it

>- The True History of the Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, Chapter LXI
I bring it with me in every hike and in every climb. Top tier reading

I'll do it this weekend (afternoon) and bump it

And now Saudi wahhabi trash and blowing it to bits with our support.

That's just bunch of medieval commie blocks. Nothing special. Romans started building 4-5 store houses, insulas way earlier.