Watching the original star wars trilogy for the first time. What should I expect?

Watching the original star wars trilogy for the first time. What should I expect?

So far, I would say it's kino

Watch I through VI and skip TFA for a true patrician experience

star wars and empire strikes back: masterpieces
return of the jedi: incredible disappointment
the prequels: ambitious but misunderstood

Why do people hate the prequels? I'll admit Binks and Anakin's romance were bad, but I liked the political plot.

It's not THAT awful.

pure, unadulterated kino

How old are you? Because defending the prequels is this newest phenomenon done by children who just saw TFA and think the series has never been in a dark age for nearly 15 plus years

A set of movies vastly overrated by Gen-Xers who saw it when they were children and Millennials who have parroted the idea that these substandard, morally black-and-white, glorified children's movies made to sell toys is anything but horseshit.

There has never been a good Star Wars movie, just one or two barely watchable ones.

Idc about the other posts, but Star Wars OT really is space opera/space western/samurai/ flash gordon homage kino

(You)

Luke is darth vaders father

Old technology. More slow movies.

Well nu male contrarian, most people go into these films looking for the wrong thing. These films are fun campy space westerns...the gen x kids are the only ones who understand the context of the OT, "millenials" saw them years after release, without original context and out of order after the prequels. You are gonna get a different taste

But as to your autism about Empire, it us a great solid stand alone science fantast film. Probably one of the best ever made.

A well put together science fantasy trilogy.

Did Vaders mom get blacked?

the prequels are an intentional insult to the fandom and they successfully trigger the muh thrawn eu people whereas for others they are mostly incomprehensible

and i don't mean "intentionally bad" or something, just designed to fuck with the shitty fans. oh you like jedis? now they are a creepy cult and muscle for a corrupt government. you like the force? it's just thetans, like in scientology. you like stormtroopers and a random background character called boba fett? well here's an entire cg army of boba fett stormtroopers, choke on it. you like vader? he was insufferable and he fucked his surrogate mother padme.

there's an anecdote about george lucas where some fan at a con spent 20 minutes explaining how star wars saved his horrible childhood, how every time he wanted to kill himself he would think about han and luke and leia and imagine they were there, supporting him, and they were the only thing between him and suicide. and could lucas please tell him one thing about these imaginary friends that are more real to him than real people: what happened to them after return of the jedi? lucas replied: "they died. no more questions?" and left.

that is what the prequels are.

They're morally simplistic fantasy movies masquerading as science fiction, and audiences at the time of release were blown away by them because they featured effects that were ahead of their time.

Star Wars is the Avatar of the late 70s, and it basically birthed the concept of the "blockbuster", derailing the New Hollywood movement and ruining the medium for decades.

how old are you? because i was a teen when episode 1 came out and everyone liked it at the time. there's just this recent thing where in order to be a star wars fan you have to make up a story about how seeing episode 1 was literally rape and you stumbled out of the theater in a daze and cut yourself with broken glass out of sheer despair. unless you do the little "ooh george raped me soooo bad" ritual the fandom just won't accept you.

Im not talking about that level of autism, I'm talking about growing up with the amateur and critical hate/disappointment that came with every prequel film, how inept George was for years with his own property and how rose colored glasses suddenly turned dark immediately after the release of Phantom...it all set the stage for some hefty battered wife syndrome. The prequels are bad movies, there is no getting around that. The ONLY reason ppl are rewriting history NOW is due to the massive success of TFA, where we have some faggots now claiming the prequels were great all along. And of course,Sup Forums catches wind and needs tocbe foundationally contrarian, so even if there was a whiff that ppl still hated these films after TFA's success, they have to praise it. Nevermind the fact that the prequels were shat on for years here..,

Prove me wrong

"Ruined the medium"

Yeah, by being fun space movies everyone can enjoy. Why cant we all just watch The Holy Mountain on fucking repeat on a loop until we die?

user, nobody calls them science fiction. They are science fantasy, light science fiction films.

you are wrong, critical reassessment of the prequels started years before tfa. look up old star wars threads on something awful for examples. there you go, proved it.

>fun
You keep using that word, but I can't imagine watching yet another rehash of the Hero's Journey and "good guys vs bad guys pew pew" being any fun, even with the superficial addition of galactic politics that actually don't really matter to the plot. But I also don't find superhero movies, The Fast and the Furious, or running my dick through a meat grinder fun either, which are basically artistic equivalents.

I'm not wrong, because that reassessment was that these were still shitty films. tv only cares more now because of how well TFA did. Why cant you accept that for years, the majority consensus was that these movies sucked? Are you hoping nobody in this thread is old enough to call you out? These films were fucking loathed for years you dumb faggot. Liking them and defending them like tv and other forums have is legit a recent phenomenon.

If TFA flopped, you would all still hate them

They arent objectively equivalents just because you said so. And im sorry you cant enjoy anything and cant understand that both the hero's journey trope has been around for hundreds of years as a key storytelling structure, or how nothing broken down to the elements is really original. Sorry you cant have that fun I keep mentioning. Why should movies ever be fun? Right?

((((tips fedora))))
(((rewatches v for vendetta while masturbating))))

V for Vendetta is shit too. The comic is decent, the movie turned a morally gray plot into some bullshit allegory for the war on terror.

I watch movies and television and read books to experience stories I haven't before, not to be spoonfed simplistic feel-good pap trying to sell me toys and lunchboxes.

Nothing is fucking original you dolt, what matters is how the story builds off of the motifs, themes and storytelling devices to tell an origin story. There are a million things like Star Wars...but there is only ONE Star Wars. You also have a juvenile understanding of what films are doing. You seem to think its a "one size fits all", that every movie is doing or saying the same thing. This is not how film works. If you are expecting shit from a movie that wont be found in that movie, the fault in not enjoying it really is on you.

I dont watch Star Wars to find themes on socio-political commentary on the crisis in Darfur, I dont watch Transformers to get an allegory for the fucking meaning of life

Different films do different things

>I'm not wrong, because that reassessment was that these were still shitty films

no it was not. every positive thing you read here about the prequels is copied from years old forum and blog posts. this was happening before tfa was even announced, you're just confused because Sup Forums is the world to you.

I dont know what world you live in, kiddo. You also deviated from your main point. Just deal with the fact that these movies fucking suck. Stop trying to rewrite history

> dont watch Star Wars to find themes on socio-political commentary on the crisis in Darfur, I dont watch Transformers to get an allegory for the fucking meaning of life
Right, you watch it to "have fun". Because good guys fighting bad guys in space is fun.

I'm not sure what you're on about with themes and motifs, because Star Wars is probably the most shallow story ever. Unless you consider new-age mysticism and the triumph of good over evil to be terribly captivating themes. I could find that in any Marvel movie or young adult fiction novel.

There are seven Star Wars movies. At best, three of them aren't shit. That's over half the franchise. None of them have anything interesting to say about the human condition, none of the characters are meaningfully developed beyond their function of the plot, and by the time the original trilogy was finished Lucas was literally just using it as a vehicle to sell toys. It is by far the most overrated piece of media in western canon.

If that's the kind of "fun" you're into, go read Harry Potter, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

They are comfy as hell

Fuck yea they are. Easy to watch, don't need to be glued to every second of it, but still tense. Pure comfy kino

>fun is only what I say it is

Is there anything more neet than this faggotry?

>Star Wars is probably the most shallow story ever
>I dont know how to read subtext or theme, I dont know how these films are based on westerns, classic samurai films, Arthurian legend and a blatsnt homage to flash gordon serials. I am a retard that needs to be spoonfed how these themes are writtrn, otherwise Dunning gets in the way and makes me believe that these movies are shallow

>None of them have anything interesting to say about the human condition, none of the characters are meaningfully developed beyond their function of the plot

No, YOU just dont find the themes interesting, which is your right...it doesnt however mean those developments dont exist in some form, again this boils down tovyou expecting the wrong things. But your heavy autism is getting in the way of understanding that

>It is by far the most overrated piece of media in western canon.

Nice contrarian and "original" opinion there, user. It must make you reeee pretty hard that people dont consult you first to get the correct opinions on film. Im sure it drives you nuts that we dont live in a Borg hivemind

>If that's the kind of "fun" you're into, go read Harry Potter, I'm sure you'll have a blast.
>let me pick an arbitrary thing that I dont like, therefore it is "less" art then what I like, har har, you enjoy this? You dumb dumb

God, please go back

TFA is better than all the prequels and Episode VI, kill yourself.

Yes, it's based on westerns, so what? Congratulations, it's still a children's story.

Nobody is saying that it isnt, holy fucking shit...what is actually wrong with you?

a good time

>Anakin is a slave yet he somehow has the privacy and resources to build a sophisticated and incredibly valuable racing device and keep it in his back yard without his owner finding out

Walked out of the cinema at this point. Haven't even watched any more of the prequels.

They sort of (badly) explain this:

Watto encouraged Anakin's interests in technology because he's good at it. Watto isnt an evil person, so their living conditions are decent. Anakin works for Watto because of his skills

She got MIDICHLORIANED

Based Plagueis

>TFA
>better than RotJ
You're the one who should seriously consider suicide.

>what is actually wrong with you?
I stopped enjoying easy-to-digest kids stories with clear divisions of good and evil, a simple story and a bunch of inconsequential dialogue about trade routes some time in middle school. I also have no interest in a franchise that makes more money on product tie-ins than ticket sales.

>There is a group of fans for the films that doesn't like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike. The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that. In the first film they absolutely hated R2 and C3-PO. In the second film they didn't like Yoda and in the third one they hated the Ewoks... and now Jar Jar is getting accused of the same thing.

Honestly, my insulting Star Wars for being a children's story is probably unfair to all the more complex and interesting children's stories out there.

How can you miss the point of the argument this hard? Jesus fuck, can you just go back to your /r/4chanthings subreddit you crawled out of?

Just finished A New Hope. Really comfy movie. One of those simple epics. I usually like deeper movies, but this was fun.

What to expect from Empire Strikes Back?

Empire is the best Star Wars film of the 7. Can you watch it and then make a new thread, linking this one, on your thoughts?

Id find that interesting tbqh famalam

>everyone who disagrees with me is reddit
I'm sorry that my rejection of your insipid, morally simplistic good-versus-evil adventure movie triggers you so bad. If it makes you feel any better, I level the same criticisms at capeshit. At some point you reach a point where you've heard enough stories to not be terribly interested in one about a motley crew of heroes without any significant personal flaws overcoming the odds and defeating cartoonish villains with no real motivation beyond doing evil stuff.

>still missing what the initial argument is

Wew, it is honestly really hard not to csll you a redditfag tbqhfamalamadingydong

I like to imagine an ep1 where liam Neeson is obi wan, and ewan mcgregor is anakin.

Seems to fit, qui gon was the more sensible pacifist, and obi was the young talented but sometimes impulsive apprentice.

If you change the roles and imagine that it was anakin in that position, gradually rising through the ranks but having a growing cynicism which eventually turns him to the dark side.

They could have made him a hero, an actual Knight, but was mislead and that turned him into valera.

Makes more sense than space jesus with extra mitochondria.

Yeah, because Reddit hates Star Wars so much.

>still missing the point

Maybe one day you will get it

Empire has a really good 1st and 3rd act but the 2nd kind of drags

Yeah, I'm just missing the point. Maybe I'll watch it again and finally understand what's so great about a story about space freedom fighters beating space Nazis. Because it takes influence from westerns and samurai movies, or something, even though it clearly failed to draw influence from any of the more morally complex stories from those genres and instead relished in the pulp.

If you're that into kids' stories, you should try some renaissance era Disney, or His Dark Materials if you can read. You might find that bad guys doing bad guy stuff for reasons other than that they're bad guys is pretty intriguing.

Based Lucas. Not a talented screenwriter or director by any means, but at least he knows what kind of people like star wars

Im done talking you tryhard neet faggot, you dont understand what the conversation is about

lmfao how's that autism working out for ya buddy

they sounded more like indentured servants.

The conversation is about how intellectually bankrupt the Star Wars franchise is, and how you keep deflecting from that fact by saying the conversation is about something else but never specifying what.

It is literally not about that you fucking sperg.

Overrated tripe. You will honestly be surprised at how big of a following Star Wars has in contrast to its quality.

I thought you were done talking to me? You just can't resist replying to me, even though you're not saying anything meaningful in the process.

I await your next reply full of ad hominem and devoid of merit.

All these autistic replies for pleb fodder.

Yes, star wars is an unoriginal story made solely for money.
Yes, people enjoy these things too.