What's the point of classical music

not a troll topic

it's not exactly very catchy, it doesn't rock, it isn't emotionally stimulating, it's forgettable and samey usually. what's the fucking point? it's basically like background music

there are a few exceptions. that sad gorecki album is pretty good

so yeah what am i missing?

Other urls found in this thread:

icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/SWA/On_popular_music_1.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=6K7-cl7Ynf0
youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>it isn't emotionally stimulating

>it's forgettable and samey usually.

it is actually very often emotionally affecting

what classical music have you been listening to?

>that sad gorecki album is pretty good

Are you sure it's not a troll topic ? Certainly seems that way.

I listen to a lot of orchestral soundtrack music, but I rarely feel much for classical music. I wonder what makes them so different.

icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/SWA/On_popular_music_1.shtml

read more
understand life better
stop being just a product of your age and environment

Nice troll topic

Don't you ever get tired of loud noises and predictable gags? popular music is always the same shit

Maybe because those are probably built like songs? And you feel familiar with it?

So I can act pretentious and brag to my peers about how my Western canon taste and culture is better than their mumble pop rap.

>it isn't emotionally stimulating
boy.

I don't know music theory, so I'm not sure what that means. How are they built like songs in a way that classical pieces aren't?

But I doubt it's the structure. Classical music rarely has melodies that appeal to me.

Yes, I was talking about structure.
But I think OSTM are build to be catchy and shorter anyway, totally the opposite of classical which I feel tries to tell an entire story.

>It's basically like background music
If you're by any chance of actually serious, please continue listening to Classical Music for Relaxation, Music for Stress Relief compilations on YouTube and don't come back.

>it's not exactly very catchy, it doesn't rock, it isn't emotionally stimulating

youtube.com/watch?v=6K7-cl7Ynf0

Hijacking the thread:

I want to get into classical music. I've only listened to one Stravinsky piece I don't remember the name of, it was quite nice though.

Where do I start?

Most obvious troll ever.

A soundtrack can also tell a story when it's all put together, or it can be arranged that way. Then there's music that goes on for a fairly long period of time and is made to follow what's happening on the screen. If the difference was just structural then there shouldn't be much of a difference at all.

But a soundtrack music is NEVER made to be central part of anything, rather a part of a movie experience.

better question: what's the point of anything not classical music?

hint: there is none. classical is the only respectable musical form.

That should make soundtrack music less interesting to me than classical. In many movies the music is just there and doesn't attract much attention to itself, but that's more of a Western and less of a Japanese approach (I listen mostly to Japanese music). In TV anime the music is usually composed independently according to instructions, not tailored for what's happening on-screen. Same thing is normally true for games too.

>it's forgettable and samey usually.

it's literally like a hundred times more varied than any other form of music

you probably listened to the rite of spring
now listen to these:
hildegard von bingen – canticles of ecstasy (sequentia)
pérotin – pérotin (hilliard ensemble)
guillaume de machaut – the mirror of narcissus (gothic voices)
guillaume dufay – o gemma lux (huelgas ensemble)
roland de lassus – prophetiae sybillarum (brabant ensemble)
claudio monteverdi – vespro della beata vergine (jordi savall)
johann sebastian bach – six concertos for the margrave of brandenburg (trevor pinnock)
ludwig van beethoven – the late string quartets (takacs quartet)
olivier messiaen – quatuor pour la fin du temps (yordanoff, tetard, desurmont, barenboim)

if you are curious about classical music from asia:
ravi shankar – music of india. three classical ragas
nusrat fateh ali khan – shahbaaz
music from the morning of the world. the balinese gamelan
academy of maqam – music of central asia vol. 2. invisible face of the beloved
mojtaba mirzadeh – iranian violin improvising
zulfaqar askarian – taknavaz dotar

>what's the point of classical music
excusing everything else you said after, this title sounds like something a simple-minded preteen would say on twitter

Classical music (of the Classical era, primarily speaking) is less focused on melody and more on motivic development (using one or more short phrases that get varied several times over the course of the piece). So if you listen to any random Mozart symphony and go "wtf where is the melody I can only hum the first 10 seconds" you're missing the point. Classical music is more focused on the craft of composition and how interesting someone can take simple motives and transform it into an entire 10 minute movement.
>where da emotion at tho
The drama is always there, but in the form of modulation and returning to the original tonality. It's sort of lost to us now because we're used to weird chord progressions and modality and probably can't detect modulation to the dominant without looking for it. That's not to say that classical music ONLY has this weird esoteric way of expressing emotion though. If you delve into the Romantic era you should find that composers really like using a large dynamic range (music is more melodic too) so even if you can't detect the drama in the details, you can still find pleasure in HEARING THINGS REALLY LOUD (then really soft).

>gorecki
>good

Something being musically catchy is subjective. Although classical music isn't made to be simple two to four measure music, it's meant to be more intellectually stimulating than that, requiring the listener's full attention.This way, it has a lot more to offer than any other form of music besides maybe some jazz.

It doesn't rock indeed. Music that gets this intensely cerebral doesn't have the capability to be visceral, although there are definitely some pieces like for example Black Angels or Threnody To The Victims Of Hiroshima that are intense in their own right.

Emotional stimulation is also subjective as well. For example, a Make-A-Wish kid that requested for Justin Beiber will always find Beiber's music more emotionally stimulating than anything you or I would prefer. That being said, I personally think that classical is capable of delivering moods not possible by other forms of music as it has such a larger and diverse palette of musical things it can do to deliver said emotions where as other genres are far more restrictive in comparison.

It's not forgettable, but it just requires a lot more attention from the listener. There's just so much depth in this kind of music that it requires more from the listener to get all the enjoyment out from it.

It's not samey either. Of all forms of music it works with quite possibly the most diverse palette of timbres there is.

>Classical music is more focused on the craft of composition and how interesting someone can take simple motives and transform it into an entire 10 minute movement.
Yeah, I don't get it. I don't think I would get it even if I were fully familiar with musical theory.

>Romantic era
As a matter of fact, one composition I can think of that I like is youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI

Start with Medieval Gregorian chants

phillip glass is dope what you on son

>I don't think I would get it even if I were fully familiar with musical theory.
Eh I think you probably would. Even if you still don't like how it sounds, at least you would still be able to appreciate how its built.

>Le Cygne
Yeah stuff like that. If you're interested, I would recommend Dvorak's 9th symphony. I think it's extremely accessible, with a large amount of drama and really catchy themes that sound almost dancelike. Structurally, each movement quotes the themes of the previous movements at least once and the finale melds everything together. It should be rather easy to spot, since they're all so catchy. The 2nd movement melody is pretty recognizable in popular culture as well. Recording doesn't matter, just find one on youtube or something.