Why did this flop? Is Star Trek just not that appealing anymore?

Why did this flop? Is Star Trek just not that appealing anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2015/tv/news/tv-advertising-prices-football-empire-walking-dead-big-bang-theory-1201603800/
youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0s8p2bRPM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The problem is making Star Trek just like Star Wars. People aren't going to care about the imitation once the real thing returns.

STID was trash so I didnt even bother with this one
I know some anons it, but Im not even going to bother anymore

also, look at the mess it is and the trouble Pegg had, I'll stick to reruns and leave nuTrek to the kiddies

It just wasn't that great desu
Felt like a slightly above average tv episode with better effects
Didn't generate any hype

Too much other, more advertised crap came out over the summer.

Because into Darkness was awful

Turns out making lowest common denominator crap and spending half the budget on marketing isn't sustainable.

Well for me personally (not that I go to the cinema often), the first trailer for this was a Beastie Boys Music video with zero space travel and completely made me drop any interest in the film.

Marketing must have had something to do with it. I don't know how much they spent, but I literally didn't know this movie was a thing until after it was already in theatres. The last two I at least was aware of before release night.

It's like they made a franchise blockbuster but gave it the marketing budget of an indie drama.

A lot of disappointment from fans leading up to it

>Simon Pegg announced as a writer
>Says he's a big Star Trek fan and so is going to bring the series back to it's roots
>First trailer shown off is basically Fast & Furious in space
>People call him out on his lies
>"Nerds need to grow up and stop playing with toys"

This soured me and a lot of people I know on it and so we didn't see it in theaters.

A lot of reasons made it flop

>JJ Abrams leaving as director
>Into The Darkness tarnished the series
>That Beastie Boys song used in the trailer
>Came out the same weekend as Jason Bourne and the weekend before Suicide Squad
>Shit marketing, didn't even hear about the movie until it was out a week later
>People are generally getting tired of sequels unless its capeshit

JJ poisoned the well and then bolted to make a shit Star Wars movie. Too bad because Lin actually made a good movie.

People were fooled twice before.

The first one was an entertaining reboot.
The second one devolved into tedium.
No one cared about the third one.
Plus I'd rather just watch the original Scotty than stare at Pegg's ugly visage. Dredd as McCoy is great, though.

I had no idea it had even come out

they turned star trek, that was about interesting questions, moral dilemmas and existentialism into shitty action movies without any deeper layers or interesting thought to it, aimed at brainwashed lemmings who like to look at big explosions, fights and pathetic cheap and fake emotions/drama... so i have absolutely no idea why wasnt it successful, people should love it.

But it didn't flop and it felt more like trek than any of the other ones.

What the hell you talkin about

Oh fuck I didn't realize this was a flop. What a shame, it was better than the other two.

>budget: 185 million
>gross: 294 million
that's a flop. They spent at least 100 mil on marketing.

There's no over arching storyline, so it's not like people needed to see the third film to see the true ending.

The second film was awful and turned most people off.

And ti had a terrible trailer. And a tterrible development. Producers wanted it to copy Fast and the Furious and Gaurdians of the Galaxy of all things.

sad, because it's the first good star trek movie

$100 mil on marketing

What fucked up meme is this? It costs a few thousand at best to air your ad and they barely had any tv spots, billboards are the same story. You spend at most 10 mil on ads, even Marvelshit doesn't spend that much to promote one movie.

They killed Anton for nothing. The greedy execs tried to pull a Paul Walker on him and make bank like they did for whatever Fast & Furious movie was last.

You're retarded and know nothing about movies.

>It costs a few thousand at best to air your ad and they barely had any tv spots

A prime time commercial spot on one network will run hundreds of thousands. Times this across dozens of networks and you're looking at millions just to get the trailer on TV.

>It costs a few thousand at best to air your ad
in what country? prime time ads sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars per 30 seconds on popular shows

The trailer for it was dogshit. Made it look like Fast and Furious in Space, which it is not.

Hundreds of thousands ? Do you have a source or just pulling shit out your ass? I seriously doubt that it would be hundreds of thousands to advertise during The Voice.

Well it kind of was.

variety.com/2015/tv/news/tv-advertising-prices-football-empire-walking-dead-big-bang-theory-1201603800/

>“Sunday Night Football” (NBC, Sunday): 2015: $637,330

And since you mentioned it

>“The Voice” (NBC, Monday) 2015: $234,371

If it flopped how come it's getting a sequel?

Im not paying $15 to see it. Im excited to watch it at home when it comes out. Star trek is such a filler show, so many pointless episodes and I enjoyed the first two movies as action space movies.

You're a filler show.

get rekt dumbass, advertising is expensive and apparently only you didn't know.

The first 2 were disappointments, so people didn't want to get fooled again even though this one was actually good

Why are almost all of the Star Trek movies absolute shit?

The TOS movies have a mostly good record, 5 and 1 being bad and even then 1 can be defended.

I guess it might come down to trying to make trek more actiony for the masses, taking inspiration from WoK.

1 suffers from the same problem as Generations in that they both feel like really long episodes and don't really do enough.

Same problem with Insurrection and even Beyond, to an extent.

Those both had action at least so are at least enjoyable on that level.

that's pretty ironic as it was very faithful to original Star Trek and Simon Pegg was in fact a good writer's choice for it

Lets parse this one out

>ST:TMP is good
>Wrath of Khan is great
>Search for Spock is mediocre
>Voyage Home is great
>Final Frontier is shit
>Undiscovered Country is god tier
>Generations is shit
>Insurrection is shit
>First Contact is shit
>Nemesis is shit aside from big guy 4u xD
>2009 is mediocre
>Into Darkness is mediocre
>Beyond is mediocre

I wouldn't say "almost all" are shit but if you've only watched the TNG ones I can see why you might think that.

Yes I remember all the car chase scenes and motorcycles in the original Star Trek.

did you even see the movie or do you still talk about the trailer?

the marketing for the movie was abysmal and sold you a completely different product

Because Paramount is retarded

Into Reference wasn't that good and audiences are getting tired

It sucked actually

It was boring. Half the movie was spent on that dull planet and it was just terrible.

So there were no motorcycle chase scenes in the movie?

Maybe Beyond was made to fail so that CBS could swoop in and buy the Trek rights from a broke Paramount.

I'd say Beyond was definitely better than mediocre

>The trailer for it was dogshit.

The funny thing is, once you've seen the movie, it's not bad to watch - there are a few parody versions out there with OG Trek footage that are a blast. But that's not exactly how it's supposed to work. At all. So, a really bad choice on their part all things considered.

Because Trek is like James Bond - they're never going to *stop* making it even if one outing underperforms every so often. The most that would ever happen is there's a slightly longer than normal gap while they retool - but in 37 years of Trek films, the longest gap has only been about seven years.

the question is what are they going to do when plundering TOS gets old.

wanna bet the next movie uses the Mirror universe

Next movie is confirmed for time travel. Possibly to fix the timeline and try to reconnect it to TOS.

>fix the timeline
not sure what good that would do or what exactly that would mean.

now Im thinking it will take them to present day Earth.

Not that far, we know this because Hemsworth was cast in the movie so they are clearly going to fix Kirk's daddy issues. So hopefully they can change him from the brooding pissy Kirk we have now back into the fun loving Kirk of TOS.

The writing wasnt Pegg's fault, they made him change the script to make it more appealing/hollywood

Also, as a fan, it must feel awful to be a part of the problem. His little geek heart has been stepped on

I didn't know the movie was even a thing until some friends and I were deciding what to watch in the theater.

>How about Suicide Squad?
>I'd rather die
>What's that 'Beyond' movie?
>Looks like a new Star Trek movie
>oh
>....
>War Dogs?
>...Alright

His reaction was completely inappropriate though. I mean obviously he can't blame the studio but he didn't have to attack the fans. He could have either not responded or done a "I'm sorry that people don't like the trailer but trust me the movie will be good".

This. The movie didn't bomb because nobody saw it, it made $300 million dollars. The problem is that the budgets for blockbusters have inflated so much that it took $200 million dollars to put it into theaters. Star Trek Beyond had no business costing that much fucking money. You could've made same movie for less than half that. The industry is on the verge of collapse because everything is overbudget and overblown, executive meddling forces reshoots and ups production costs for no reason, the corporate culture has turned the entire industry into an automated factory where every movie requires the same interchangeable elements, and everyone ends up bankrupting the final product because they rationally assume they should get some massive payday for participating in a profitable film. Jlaw can complain about ONLY making $20 million for a movie while men make more, but ironically both her and her male peers are making the industry unsustainable by demanding more and more dollars.

it released too soon after the first

I think people thought it was the same movie

>going to the theater without previously deciding what to watch

Because JJ Abrahms doesn't like or understand Star Trek, here he is explaining that:
youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0s8p2bRPM

this Into Darkness was god awful and finished the job that Nemesis started in completely killing Star Trek movies.

Or in this case, people won't care about the half-hearted, cross-franchise imitation, once they have a half-hearted imitation.
One less step removed from what they want is all it takes.

Beyond puts me in mind of Star Trek 3, except really good.