Is David Bowie the most influential artist ever?

Hi, Sup Forums.
I've generally heard throughout my life that The Beatles are the most influential musicians ever. It's certainly true that they have influenced a great deal of other musicians and their reputation will continue amongst the public probably for many decades if not centuries. Before anyone says so, I am not disparaging the Beatles at all, they're one of my favourite bands.
However, over this summer I've been pushing myself to listen to new music and I've been getting into the New Wave/New Romantic scene. What surprises me is how much David Bowie is noted as a source of inspiration. Bryan Ferry names him, As do Steve Strange from Visage, Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran and David Sylvian from Japan. There are obviously a lot more, and in my opinion the whole aesthetic of the genre seems to come from Bowie's glam clothing.
I also love David Bowie (since long before he died, I'm not a bandwagonfag) so I would also be pleased if he was recognised as the most influential artist ever. I just wonder what you all think.

Some conditions:
-When I say most influential artist ever that obviously only includes in the modern era, discounting the famous classical musicians from centuries ago, before some classical fan comes on here and calls me a pleb because a-a-actually Mozart is the most influential musician ever.
-When I say "influential," I mostly mean influencing other artists, although obviously public fame is beneficial too.

I was about to make a Bowie thread but this should do it.

I feel like shit. What Bowie Album should I listen to?

>The Beatles
>Black Sabbath
>Kraftwerk
>The Velvet Underground
>The Sex Pistols
All more influential

Ziggy or Lodger

No and I say this as a big fan

>no Beach Boys
You realize you're on Sup Forums, right??

They weren't influential, they're just a meme.

Beethoven
Bach
Louis Armstrong
James Brown
Elvis Presley
Aphex Twin

It really depends on the type of music

Chuck Berry and Little Richard probably are

>Sex Pistols
I only know one song from them. And I can't even remember its name.

Scary Monsters?
I can definitely agree with you on Kraftwerk. The Beatles are probably more influential too, just wanted to debate the issue.

Irrelevent. If it weren't for the Sex Pistols we wouldn't have UK Punk or Post-Punk

You might be right about punk, but post-punk was influenced from a lot of angles. In fact, one of the influencers was probably David Bowie. Didn't Bauhaus reproduce Ziggy Stardust as a tribute?

Yes, post-punk was influenced from a lot of angles. A billiard ball might go in a hole after being hit by 3 different balls.
But if there was no table or cue, it wouldn't go anywhere

>Didn't Bauhaus reproduce Ziggy Stardust as a tribute?
They did a good job too

Post punk certainly had a lot of influences but it wouldn't have happened the way it did without punk coming before it

M E T A P H O R
E
T
A
P
H
O
R

ITT: Rock is the only music after 1910 (when music started)

Bowie was influenced heavily by the Beatles anyway. Ziggy Stardust is just one big rip off of Across the Universe

>he fell for the Pet Sounds meme

>that file name

>Screen-shot-2014-08-08-at-08.32.58.png

Bowie was influenced by The Beatles, so no.

No, it weren't for THE CLASH we wouldn't have punk, or post punk, or a lot of 80s reggae. Sex pistols were definitely not as influential as them

TVU or Kraftwerk