Sup Sup Forums?

Sup Sup Forums?

I've been recently considering going to school for cdl training to become a professional truck driver.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

Through a company or out of pocket?

Drivers are gonna be the first job to go to automation man, hate to say it. Fingers crossed the outcry from the first collapsed industry leads to UBI. Lazy fucks like me would love that.

It's never been easier for a trucker to be a fat piece of shit - for insurance reasons you won't be allowed to set foot onto the loading bay. In other words you won't have to load or unload, just play with your phone as professional stevedores do the hard work.

Downsides - you will probably need to take amphetamines to keep to schedule.

This won't happen for a long time mang

I almost went into it but went into a company as a broker and just do deliveries in my van. I make $300-350 a day depending on how many scans I get. Last year made 88k, but a lot of it goes to expenses and gas and shit
Still great money for a young guy with no training

If you can pass your pre-trip inspection, you got it made. The written and the driving exams are easy.

More money in running eavy equipment like dozers tackhoes and rocktrucks. Plus you can do it without a license if you are willing to start at the bottom running a shovel for a year. Also alot of those jobs are in remote locations where you can make serios bank.

>Downsides - you will probably need to take amphetamines to keep to schedule

Maybe in second world countries
In N.A. you are only allowed to drive for a certain amount of time. It's like back in the day when you could just pop beans and go for 18+ hrs.
Especially if you are unionized, there is no way in hell they'll let you do that shit anymore

How old are you? This will happen in less than 20 years. Waisting your life on the road until midlife. What will you do then?

>Thoughts?

Aiming high, huh?

Fun job, shit pay.

I'd love to be a trucker if I could earn a liveable wage.

Whats liveable for you?
Just curious, I don't actually know what those guys make

>Drivers are gonna be the first job to go to automation man

Yeah, I'm really sure the world will embrace automated trucks that might malfunction and ram a schoolbus. As opposed to, say, replacing fast food chefs with a burger-making machine.

Ive been a trucker for 10+ years now. Done everything form OTR to line haul to Local stuff(cans and flatbeds)
Your 1st year will be a living hell. almost no pay, Never at home. Shit loads. If you can make it past that first year your set. You can move on to a better company with better pay and home time.
After about 5 years you can move into local stuff where you are home every night and top pay.
You can either go to a CDL school or you to a company that will train you. If you do the company route you will get your training and then work for the company for said amount of time and they will pay for it. A school will be out of pocket but most companies pay for it after a set time.

When I was OTR I was single and stayed out for months at a time(around 4) then go home for a week. If you get lucky you can find a company that will have dedicated routes and that is where you make your money.(I did Home Depot loads OTR, 600 miles avg run. Unload in the AM reload and back at the DC the next day for another) Now Im doing local home drops for Home Depot lol, Talk about full circle.

Trucking is not an easy job. Anyone that thinks we just sit in the truck, has never done it. Its not a psychical job, but its a mental. Watching traffic, driving the truck, watching dumb asses, watching the clock, etc.

All and all Though I love it. Ive seen most of the country that most people will never see. Ive made damn good money. I would not give it up. While I miss being over the road once in a while Im happy being home every night.

Depends where you live, but here in Australia, if you don't own your own truck, you earn less money on average per hour than a checkout chick.

The numbers are misleading for Amerifats, but $18/hr is quite low for us.

Why are you acting like trucking is some sort of lifelong career

It takes just a couple months to go through truck school, and then it takes just a couple months of work (if even!) To pay that back (while living comfortably)

97% of truck drivers leave their jobs within the first few years

Being able to handle trailers is a significant lifelong skill if you ever do work (as a hobby or otherwise) that isn't strictly white collar

You earn a shitload of money (relatively) following minimal education/investment, have negligible living expenses when OTR, and there are shit loads of job openings all the time

You're fucking retarded, user. Trucking is a plenty viable thing for a young guy to do for a couple years when he's figuring his ambitions out.

Not to mention that full automation in 20 years will probably just mean that the conventional, easy OTR routes will be gone. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of log and ice road jobs that wouldn't be finincially viable to automate.

Shit job, shit pay, and you end up being the scum of the earth. Seriously, go find a couple trucker Facebook groups for truckers and look how they talk/act.

Trucking is a lifestyle. The first year expect otr. Cool if single and few financial obligations. Stay company driver to learn the business for a while. Any starter organization will do like prime, swift, cr england. We live in a Keynesian economy, and freight will never be a problem if you are dependable

whats the worst state to drive through? nebraska? Wyoming?

California

most of my driving was in the midwest for Home Depot(we where out of Topeka KS) The North East is the fucking nightmare.. No place to park, a few states are anti-truck, The MId west is wher eyou make your money. YOu can run 3-4000 miles a week and never go past Denver or Iowa.

It'll happen eventually. There will come a point where humans will be more prone to error than machines.

OP read this

People that can assemble sandwiches aren't really an industry in my opinion. Driverless cars can drive on public roads right now, tell me aren't close to mass industry acceptance of this tech. Once the money that can be saved exceeds the possible risk, all it takes is one company to institute the tech and firms will start adopting it en masse to stay competitive.

Seriously man I give the industry 10 15 years tops.

Local driver here in Texas, hauling aggregates, home every night make 1300 a week after tax. Early mornings tho. M-F Saturday if you wanna make real money

I'll personally come suck your dick if I see a driverless 18 wheeler successfully deliver it's capacity in skids is without incident
Until then, go away

I am considering cdl training as well. Health is a huge factor in any job, and fmcsa is always changing regulations. Auto drive is conceptual, but how can a computer decide who should live or die in accident avoidance protocol? I believe physical drivers will be around a while

You've never driven a truck before, that tech is so far off, no one in their right mind would want a computer running a rig.

They aren't going to start with max weight 18 wheelers now are they. Courier vans maybe.

Ill come find you in 20 years for that sloppy.

Wait until stats start proving that human error is the leading drag on profits while driverless tech gets cheaper

The computers then will be far more advanced.
In accident avoidance protocol the computer will be constantly scanning (all angles) and using face recognition software to see whose life is worth more. e.i. the 12 y/o qt3.14 in your blindspot or the 46 year old Abdul in front of you

Health isnt all of that. There are things you can do. I never gained a massive amount of weight when I was OTR. I always parked in the back and forced to walk to the truck stop. Always walked around the truck when I was loading and unload. Didn't eat a lost of the fast food out there. Cooked in the truck when I could.
There are whole programs built around working around in and around the truck as little as 30 mins a day.

They'll save so much money on drivers that it won't matter. All of this self-driving car stuff people are so excited about is really about creating cheaper distribution for goods, and getting rid of labor costs for drivers.

Yeah right
I work as a courier for a business to business company and use my own van.
EVERY and ALL companies that use that courier service would have to upgrade to some sort of automated system to accept the mail. A fucking robot is going to climb out of that van and get a signature and says "thanks have a great day"

No doubt actuaries and lawyers will be a factor.

I am just letting op know health is in his hands. Wise choices in exercise and diet are available if you seek them.

What do you consider shit pay?

when I first started driving I was making about 200 a week. But that was when the ecom went south. I cant say what a new driver will make now days. But most companies start out at like .28 cents a mile or something like that.

The customer side is another thing altogether, the first implementations would likely be within a firm (moving stock from hq to depots for example). You are right that a solution needs to be found for accepting the delivery though, robots don't do common sense.

Shit job good money

Op here

So school isn't required to get a cdl?
I don't know the first thing to getting one

Truckers make good money all things considered. However long haulers (who generally make the most) have very strange hours which will make a normal life difficult

no You can get hired with a company that will do your training, Prime, CR England are just a few. that will do it.

What will i learn from going to school?

>Waisting

Do you expect anyone to take your opinion seriously when you're clearly border line retarded?

the same thing you would learn if you went to a company school Really.

Wouldn't you get paid less to go that route?

Find a local company who will give free training and pay for your time while learning busses do this sort of thing as do some const4uction companies

Dont agree to pay thousands on schooling for a cdl instead move out of the area and train elsewhere for free, even if it means living out of your car for a couple of months because working over the road is basically the same thing working out of a half cramped vehicle, so dont get stuck doing amyone but yourself the favor do enough searching to where it cost you time not a year or two of slaved labor paying anyone back trying to get it free after all the bullshit- bite the bullet now find free and paid training

Finally hang onto the class a license with hazmat endorsements as a better than nothing tool while looking for something more your liking
Driving cross country is shit do it after local driving for a couple of years, constuction pays great in the summer, get reffer work or flatbed prefferably expect to spit the job out after 5 years so save some bucks open a laundrymat or some other stupid cash machine and keep yourneyes and ears open
Held my cdl for 10 years come dec, retaking test this week and last week after renewing license plus medical card, fingerprinting plus twic card im about 5/600 in on my renewal

I made 49.99 a hour last year easy money as much as 3k a week home nightly, like i say construction isnt so bad
Trucking is lame overall as is the military option

Not really. They will pay bottom of the pay scale no matter which way you learned.

I need to get in the bed for work in the AM. BUt If you really want to become a trucker I will say. Its a live like no other. The places you will see, and go. The people you will meet. Every day is different. If your a good worker and stick with it the sky is the limit. From a local job to an owner op making 3-5000 a week. From Haz Mat to Doubles and Trips(which is what I did). There is always something new and different in the tucking. Its a hard life but a rewording one.
I found a pic of what I got to do when I did line haul. This is the stuff you could end up doing. Two 53 foot trailers grossing 120k loaded(before anyone bitches about the converter being a single axle, the real trailer was empty cause there will be one).

Shit no
School isnt required
I can teach you enough to get a permit and show you the ropes this weekend, i even have all the questions and answers to the dmv test

Also what states have a law where you can't run your truck while you sleep on off hours?

I think the tech will be available by then but America will be slow to adapt. Won't see wide scale usage for AT LEAST 20 years. Also drivers won't be completely out dated even then. Can your self driving truck strap down a load to a flat bed? When the straps get loose can your computer get out and adjust it?

Scania already has working driverless trucks being tested in Europe. Skynet is already here

We're already reaching that point with the current generation of autopiloting systems out there.

does anyone have an opinion on rohel trans, been looking to do the same thing as op and was thinking about going with them

I wanna drive a truck so bad and i work on them but never moved one

isnit hard driving one with a 10 speed since its unsyncro? could i donit even if i havent drove a stick car?