youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6B96NyaJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=aQ-bu4dHV6k
youtu.be/prVeP-D90jA
youtu.be/OTI-7e7oEBM
youtube.com/watch?v=5FyjJbaZLTc
youtube.com/watch?v=1f7IusjiMz8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

None

Killing Joke were also better than JD though, I agree.

Nothing is better than Killing Joke

I always thought KJ were goth? What's the difference between goth and post-punk?

Killing Joke us THE best post-punk band, so obvious answer.

this or pop group are my favorite post punk bands

Very little.

Goth is a sort of style and aesthetic. Musically, I guess goth has more glam influence. But pretty much all the early goth bands were also post-punk. There are lots of goth genres, though - deathrock is punkier goth, darkwave is synth-based and atmospheric, etc.

>us
*is

The differences are basically purely aesthetic. KJ only made Goth music for a short period in the mid 80s though, in the early 80s they sounded more like Joy Division or PiL, in the 90s they started getting into more metal territory while playing around with shoegaze, and ever since 2000 or so they've been balls to the wall industrial metal.

Yeah, but only on that and Flowers of Romance

>No one says The Sound

can someone recc and post essential The Fall albums?

The Sound

Geordie Walker is one of the most underrated guitarists in rock history.

youtube.com/watch?v=f42MLoLbnnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gtQ3srkIVSg
youtube.com/watch?v=RmFqx8CKRY8

The Fall have never made an outright bad album.
Personal favorites are Perverted By Language, Levitate and The Real New Fall LP.

Grotesque

do you have downloads?

but the unrealased or uk version of real new fall lp

>tfw Sup Forums finally gives kj some respect

is post-hardcore actually post-punk?

This underrated obscure band

Hey uh where do I start with Dead Kennedys?

PAKI
CHA CHA

Oh my, spotify recommended me this album too. It was nice.

late fall

from imperial wax solvent (2008)

youtube.com/watch?v=0PIDLtLKLzU

from your future our clutter (2010)

youtube.com/watch?v=z4cvfEk8dOQ

from ersatz gb (2011)

youtube.com/watch?v=-vzXs6jZbbM

from re mit (2013)

youtube.com/watch?v=1eAXzY_JWV0

from sublingual tablet (2015)

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPmblOawhoc

from new facts emerge (2017)

youtube.com/watch?v=yv-Vjaiwe5Y

Joy Division is good, but how about The Cure for one?

Amebix is better and they're crust for some reason

literally /thread

it's true, they're barely ever posted about here

Agree. One of the truly great bands.

No. It has the same relationship to hardcore that post-punk does to punk, hence the name, but for the most part it manifests in very different ways. There's obviously a lot of variety in these genres, but the typical post-punk sound is sparse, almost mechanical, pretty/stark guitars, prominent bass, and depressive vocals. The typical post-hardcore sound is basically DIY vocals, melodic yet dynamic guitars, fast drumming, and emotive vocals, though the typical post-hardcore bass is very much post-punk influenced. The post-hardcore bands that sound like post-punk, sound that way because they're very deliberately post-punk influenced (i.e. Jawbox is heavily influenced by Joy Division). The foundational post-punk bands are groups like Joy Division, PiL, The Pop Group, Killing Joke, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and so on, where as the foundational post-hardcore bands are Fugazi, Hüsker Dü, Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, Big Black, Scratch Acid, and maybe Slint - a very different type of direction. Post-Punk led to things like goth and dream pop, while post-hardcore lends itself more to things like screamo, though both were important to noise rock.

Thank you for this

I love Amebix, but while post-punk is clearly a big part of their sound and they cite Killing Joke, Bauhaus, and Joy Division as influences, there's also major metal (Motörhead) and anarcho (Crass, Discharge) influences there, so they don't really sit comfortably as a post-punk band.

Literally just listen to the Holiday in Cambodia / Police Truck single. By far the two best songs they ever did IMO, and for me the only thing really worthwhile by them.

What's the darkest, most abrasive and depressing stuff in the genre? I am getting in that mood again, and would like some music like that please.

No. It has the same relationship to hardcore that post-punk does to punk, hence the name, but for the most part it manifests in very different ways. There's obviously a lot of variety in these genres, but the typical post-punk sound is sparse, almost mechanical, pretty/stark guitars, prominent bass, and depressive vocals. The typical post-hardcore sound is basically DIY production, melodic yet dynamic guitars, fast drumming, and emotive vocals, though the typical post-hardcore bass is very much post-punk influenced. The post-hardcore bands that sound like post-punk, sound that way because they're very deliberately post-punk influenced (i.e. Jawbox is heavily influenced by Joy Division). The foundational post-punk bands are groups like Joy Division, PiL, The Pop Group, Killing Joke, Siouxsie & The Banshees, and so on, where as the foundational post-hardcore bands are Fugazi, Hüsker Dü, Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, Big Black, Scratch Acid, and maybe Slint - a very different type of direction. Post-Punk led to things like goth and dream pop, while post-hardcore lends itself more to things like screamo, though both were important to noise rock.

its all about the fears of nuclear war

The third Wipers album is actually really dark.
youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6B96NyaJ4

Also try:
youtube.com/watch?v=aQ-bu4dHV6k

XTC

No ones mentioned wire

ITT: people appreciating Killing Joke before they became mucore

Remember this thread

What

Strange Times aren't on spotify.

Where are you from, m8?

If there is anyone who wants to get into post-punk I recommend pic related

You're killing me.

Perhaps something more like, Swans level brutal?

Idk, when I'm not feeling down I like really intense, dark bands like Einstürzende Neubauten. But while bands like that are cathartic, when I'm really down (emotionally "depressed"), I just want to listen to really despairing bands that usually aren't that intense. I think it's because when I'm really down I don't have any patience for pretense. Those are the times I like to listen to bands like Joy Division, Rites of Spring, and R.E.M. - bands I otherwise rarely listen to. They're not particularly dark or intense, but they are very straightforward, honest, and melancholy.

I am the total opposite. Rather than guys who sorta wallow in despair, I want to listen to really hard hitting stuff that my numbing mental state will be forced to feel. That's kind of a big part of why so many people who are depressed often go to punk/metal/industrial/noisy kind of genres. When such things hit people, they sometimes become mentally/emotionally numb to the extent where not even their usual hobbies feel enjoyable. The catharsis of abrasive music is a counter to that.

you might like Ampere. It's kind of like a much more melancholy, less "cool" version of Orchid-style emoviolence

Damn, this is what's up. Much appreciated. Doesn't waste time either.

The Wolfgang Press

Great overlooked Post Punk from the 4AD label. Started out Gothy and got all funky pop by the end of their career.

Shut That Door
youtu.be/prVeP-D90jA

Christianity
youtu.be/OTI-7e7oEBM

My father knows the members in Antisect personally.

What were they like? Did he know anyone else from that scene, like Amebix, Flux of Pink Indians, Conflict, Rudimentary Peni, Axegrinder, etc.?
It's an interesting era in music.

Jaz Coleman is literally insane

listen to pillbox by water torture

Yeah, but he's also a literal genius. He's an accomplished classical composer, and he knows all sorts of stuff about history and religion.

He's super into the occult, but like a lot of other people who are into that stuff, he takes something valuable out of it: the whole concept of willing things into existence. In other words, you envision what you want and then put all your energy into going in that direction. I don't believe in anything supernatural, but I can definitely see the merit in that kind of thinking.

I just called him about it. He said that he didn't know Flux of Pink Indians or any of the others. But he said that Pete Lyons was a character when they lived together as room mates. They still talk to eachother as well. But he did say he knew Dirt as well if your familiar with that band.

Cool, thanks for checking! I don't know Dirt, but I'll check them out.

PV that doubles up on basses; pretty nifty. Thanks.
Did he ever do classical stuff that WASN'T just symphonic renditions of dad rock stuff?

youtube.com/watch?v=5FyjJbaZLTc

Script of the Bridge is even better

nice b8 m8

First Issue is disgustingly good, you take that back

umm excuse me he said post-punk not punk rap

Just start from the top, Live at the Witch Trials is either their best or second best album anyways
>what is YFOC
The Fall has been making incredibly self-derivative music since like, the mid 80s. You're right that it's not "outright bad" but that's not much in the way of praise

just start from the top. Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables is a fantastic album

Pere Ubu and The Pop Group

First PIL album
First Gang of Four album
The Slits
The Pop Group
Wire
The Minutemen
First Violent Femmes album
First two Killing Joke albums

>first two Killing Joke albums
*first six

>not posting Metal Box but rather the inferior re-formatted version.

Bump

and this one is better than both

I shill KJ on /meal/ every chance I get

NO ONE BELIEVES
IN NINE ELEVEN
STEEL FRAMED BUILDINGS
DON'T FALL IN SECONDS

The Pop Group always get brought up in post punk threads but nobody ever mentions that after they broke up mark stewart had an industrial dub project that was just as good if not better than the Pop Group.

youtube.com/watch?v=1f7IusjiMz8

ok, feel free to start the thread any time

bauhaus
this heat
pere ubu
the birthday party
gang of four
gordons
the gun club
maanam
opéra de nuit
the raincoats