/daily/ - cat edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

stereoyum.com/072217/arcade-fire-premature-evaluation-everything-now/review/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/angelo-harmsworth-theodore-schafer/japanese-whisper/
youtube.com/watch?v=ahWetlj4F7g
youtube.com/watch?v=DMkX4oeNIs8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for bad internet

he aint my big daddy
he just a sperm donor

Oh my God, Becky!

does it compare to mine though?

Look at her butt!

>How could it possibly be that the worst albums i've ever heard in my life have been recommendations via this weekly listenalong?
have you ever stopped to think that daily doesn't have taste

Couldn't do that, these are my buds

>have you ever stopped to think
He's on /daily/, obviously he hasn't.

i'll give you that this week's is pretty bad so far, but there have been some fun ones.

Of course. I'm just having fun, not shitting on anyone even a little. Just insane to think that an album from RYM or Spotify selected randomly by a computer would probably be better than a listenalong album. Blows my mind.

that'd be kinda fun. each week the listenalong album is put up against one randomly selected album from rym's database.

Going to finally listen to the Arctic Monkeys tonight, perhaps I'll begin to understand the youth culture of the 2000's a bit more. I've never been much of a drinker myself nor one to partake in antisocial behavior or otherwise do cool poses in the doorway with "Do I Wanna Know?" blaring in the background. Rather I just sit here all day everyday, watch films/ read books/ solve second order vector equations and go to work when needed, so I doubt I'll relate to it at all. Got the feeling that it will have the same effect as the Strokes where the songs are somewhat enjoyable though pale in comparison to say Interpol.

Hehe, these listen-along albums seem really jocular in appearance.

someone pick an album off of this list for me to listen to

I mean this lol

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka

4G

have already heard

egrets is really good

ullmann

It's a side effect of having to pick an album that no one has heard.

>3 hours long
wew boy this should be good

No doubt, but a side project from a band member, a later album from an artist, a collaboration, an album that inspired a more popular one, a lesser-known album on a popular record label, etc. These are quality places to look, no?

is that a requirement for the listenalong? are there actual parameters?

The funny thing is that Accel had already heard this one anyways.

>using the correct definition of antisocial
nice

My listenalong was a side project and it turned out the same way.

christ in heaven everything now is laughably bad

wow my 2.5- will seem positive

Keyword "look". Quality places to LOOK

i love all the indeh kids in the rym comments doing mental gymnastics to justify how terrible it is

Sure but those are also boring and safe choices. I think the listenalong has been doing a decent job of bringing people out of their comfort zone though admittedly with mixed results. However, I think this is because a fair amount of people here seem to prefer certain styles of music in a rather rigid manner.

There have been quite a few interesting listenalong albums that I would never have listened to otherwise and even those that I didn't like were good experiences.

It's not written in stone, but if half of daily has heard your album already then what's the point of using it as a listenalong?

my favorite thing about the new arcade fire is when their singer got asked about people saying the title song is super cheesy in an interview he replied by saying he doesn't think hey jude is cheesy

this dude compared his half rate abba rip off to hey jude completely straight faced
cmon

Jason Webley - Counterpoint

this is the same guy who wrote a satirical review of his own album before it came out predicting what music critics would say (being almost too self-aware) complete with Trump tweet references
>stereoyum.com/072217/arcade-fire-premature-evaluation-everything-now/review/

i'm gonna vom

Hey Jude is half rate anyways

you can go ahead and delete that, PAL

you're right maybe 2.5 is high

Salvia Palth is straight awful. I never understood why he, Sam Ray, Car Seat Headrest, Coma Cinema, etc. achieved success while the countless others never made more than 10 complete plays on bandcamp. I hated that music in its day. Somehow I hated that era of bedroom sadboys who went through adolescence in the era of Have a Nice Life, Phil Elverum relevence, emo revival, slowcore repopularity, and availability of cheap self recording. Even though I played a variant of it too I somehow always held my nose up in reference to it even as a young teen.

I need one more person for my 2017 tourney pls.

here
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/angelo-harmsworth-theodore-schafer/japanese-whisper/

csh is good

Thanks!
I'm surprised nobody picked Peasant as it seems to be the meme album of 2017 and I haven't heard it.

>Earthless - Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky
There isn’t much to this album in terms of depth, but it’s not trying to be deep. It’s filled to the brim with fun, spacey, heavy psych jamming and macho riffage. It reminds me of a slightly less interesting Boris or Acid Mother’s Temple. Worth a listen if you’re into that stuff.

>Tuxedomoon - Desire
This album is fantastic but mostly because it caters directly to my musical tastes. I am not surprised that it is kind of a divisive album judging by people’s rym ratings. I have always had a soft spot for post-punk, especially the bands that have that funky rhythmic core to them. Desire is a blend of contemporary post-punk and electronic with some odd darkjazz and orchestral elements thrown in. Likely due in part to touring with the Residents at the time. What results is a totally unique and off-the-wall aesthetic where you have organ synths, sultry sax, and wailing violin playing over motorik bass beats and droning squalls of guitar noise. Have I ever mentioned how in love I’m in with the saxophone? Not to mention the powerful vocal performances, ranging from spoken word to flat out yelling, complete with biting anti-consumerism lyrics. Though often lacking subtlety “DON’T THINK/GO BUY” … “Live a thousand lives by picture” the catchiness of these repeated codas makes up for it. Definitely worth a listen if you haven’t heard it yet. My only gripe with this album is that they often don’t know how/when to end a song and rely on repetition. I suppose it fits the theme they are going for, but it makes for a less concise listen in parts.

>Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel - Nail
A completely ridiculous and campy industrial synth broadway performance. It’s very hard to dislike because of how hard it commits to its absurd style. And how could you with lines like “DESTROYYY ALLLLL GIRRRRLS”? It reminds me of a less sonically offensive Disco Volante. The overly macho and aggressive tone and lyrics clashes so well with the cabaret style and occasional backup vocals. All that being said, it goes a little too far with the cheese in places, and it just becomes silly (see: Descent Into the Inferno). It walks a fine line, but it’s always enjoyable and was well worth a listen. Pigswill has no business being as good of a song as it is.

not the best album, but easily one of the most quotable of all time.
>i'm gonna explode

feeling like the piece of shit I am, what's the best music to feel better while hungover

Oranssi Pazuzu

nice
I love Ravel's trio especially, probably will bump it too

youtube.com/watch?v=ahWetlj4F7g

get some rest boyo

which one
damn you're right

Kosmonument.
youtube.com/watch?v=DMkX4oeNIs8

what thee fuck

Great album. Cecil Taylor is from another planet.

recents, rec me up senpai

thoughts on loveless, CC and fishmans?

wow, im surprised that even after two years on mu, this still holds up quite well, much better than i expected. how do you guys feel about it?

Heady individual. Gotta come back to this one. Conquistador was good, takes you for a ride on the line between order and chaos

silhouette brown - good instrumental hh
good for you - it's alright, amine probably one of the best in xxl freshmen
eucalyptus - solo avey not as good as solo panda but decent album
fishmans - still going through their discography, i like kuchu camp a lot more than this one
flower boy - best tyler album by far
painters - i like all the songs on here
loveless - great, but maybe a lil overrated
candy claws - feels badly mixed but im new to dreampop and it might just be because its dreampop
bookhead - eh

its p ok

ok/10

I'm actually feeling really conflicted about this album, i feel like it's trying to be everything at once, which isn't a bad thing but it's not really doing it for me

nice. try Isn't Anything, it's as good as Loveless but less overrated, so you can be super cool and contrarian

I hear ya. The kind of thing you have to revisit over time to get a handle on what they're doing. Haven't cracked the code myself

i'll give it a shot, maybe mbv just needs to click for me

I physically recoiled while listening to Infinite_content
this whole album is just failed hooks

>Haven't cracked the code myself
I've never felt so edged listening to an album. It's like some huge fucking mind block separating me from really enjoying this, and somehow it manages to be more impenetrable than Sun Ra. I'm too plebian for now, I guess

delet bandcamp

Nah, just try another album and come back to it later on

Is Listenalong just an elaborate ongoing prank?

A prank so good, the pranksters prank themselves without knowing it.

Every single week.

in other news, i returned to my home to find this treasure in my mailbox

in case you can't read the postcard, it says that they have finished their newest album entitled "Sun Milk" and it will be released very soon

>not including my square

sry i stole the most recent version from b-b, he was the one who fucked up

PUT ME BACK IN

fixed listenalong image

fixed fixed listenalong image

oops i actually forgot to include the image
haha
what a doofus i am

how y'all doin is the last listenalong worth bc this one was fucking awful

it's 2017

stop listening to lo-fi indie

ha ha oh wow how embarrassing

yeah last week's was a lot better

I'd like to say I just don't like indie in general but I listened to one indie record recently and liked it.

Get in the plug, m8s.

did i fuck this up

Depends, is that out of 5 or 10 or 100?

2.5 out of if that

Too high then, sorry. I'll have to revoke your /daily/ membership card.

uhh i highly doubt anyone here considers me a real /daily/ member

these are the buttons in case anyone cares

>the Ecce Homo fresco meme

I always loved that meme
Can we put a thinking emoji hand on Ecco homo?

>which era Pink Floyd?
>which era prog?
Is the only answer

Uh oh

>accel's score was lowered
ooooh let the good times roll.

""fixed""""

ok so why no love for this song? It's literally one of ABBA's best. Sure the verse is kinda kitsch but couldn't the same be said about most of ABBA? It's kinda their thing. People say it's a re-write of Fernando but it reminds me more of a mix between Dancing Queen and SOS in its general structure. Imo it's a really creative pop piece and super slept on.

inb4 Qwerty100 reference

Medium rare chicken strips

jimmy jazz just caught a body