Post Rock is just Prog Rock without much of the talent

Post Rock is just Prog Rock without much of the talent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A2mwIlhEZdM
youtu.be/_3cu8sDa90Y
youtu.be/7WDkdZ6QvXY?t=4m57s
youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic
youtu.be/-WTNFuF6qiA
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>widdly widdly widdly is talent

Both suck btw

Correct

Real talk here, why aren't post-rock and math rock considered subgenres, or at the very least offshoots, of prog?

cuz math-rock and the post-rock that's closely related to math-rock stems more from punk rock. there's highly technical math rock which gets sometimes labeled as prog but that usually sucks

prog rock is for le wrong generation kids, post rock is for adults.
sorry op.

Mostly due to originating from punk rock rather than prog rock. Squirrel Bait, which gave off a lot of bands that would be very influential in post-hardcore (such as Slint), was a hardcore punk band. While The Mars Volta is pretty much prog rock, it comes from post-hardcore (At The Drive-In). The Fall Of Troy is math rock and post-hardcore mixed together. Hell, even emo, what with its weird time signatures at times, comes from post-hardcore.

It pretty much is the second wave of prog rock but it starts in somewhere else entirely (rather than psychedelia, punk rock).

>this non-existing genre is just this non-existing genre without much of the talent.

>Real talk here, why isn't this non-existing genre and this non-existing genre considered subgenres, or at the very least offshoots, of this non-existing genre?

>cuz this non-existing genre and the non-existing genre that's closely related to this non-existing genre stems more from punk rock. there's highly technical non-existing genre which gets sometimes labeled as this non-existing genre but that usually sucks

>this non-existing genre is for le wrong generation kids, this non-existing genre is for adults.
>sorry op.

Damn guys, good discussion you are having right here. epic!

Yea prog rock is super fucking fedora-ish

Theyre the same thing

Prog Rock is just Proto Post Rock

What if I like prog thats not "technical dream theatre muh talent" and shit more along the lines of mars volta?

>this non-existing genre is for le wrong generation kids, this non-existing genre is for adults.

>implying you don't know what people refer when talking about prog rock and post rock
stop trying so hard

>Taking bait threads seriously

We need to talk....

You're technically not wrong. Most of the characteristics of what we describe as post-rock had already started appearing in prog rock, even if prog rock was far far nerdier than post-rock.

Then you have better taste in fedoras.

post-rock is the end game of not just rock but music in general.

First wave Post-Rock is great (Talk Talk, Slint, Swans)
Second wave Post-Rock is hit or miss (I only enjoy Godspeed)
Third wave is fucking trash

Alternatively, he's actually wearing a fedora rather than a trillby.

Progfag here, I really fucking wish prog wasnt so fedora, I just like the way reverb sounds.

Theyre both pretty nerdy, I wish they had less pretentious genre names

prog rock was about technique and dynamic, while post rock is about texture and atmosphere.
They're completely different.
Only a few albums like Red effectively influenced someone in the post rock field (Slint).

I fucking challenge you to find a non fedora genre name for something as meaningless as prog

Fair, but post-rock tends to be the "awkward social anxiety" sort of nerdy while the prog rock type of nerdy seems to be "let's talk about cool shit in impressionistic terms over the sound of complex instrumentation!".

Some is good. Explosions in the Sky, 65days and Hammock are all good

What one is youtu.be/A2mwIlhEZdM
???

Prog Rock is just Art Rock without the creativity.

Reminder that GY!BE call themselves a punk rock band. (or at least Efrim does)

kek

what the fuck are you talking about. if you think le wrong generation kids listen to prog rock either you dont know enough prog rock or you think that dark side of the moon is a summary of prog rock. get looking kiddo

>t. le wrong generation kid

im fine with music from all eras, no need to single shit out

Name one 4535BC song faggit

but user, there was no music before 1950's

Damn, you did it. Just wait until you discover jazz and classical music. All widdly widdly doodlers, I tell you.

Mars Volta isn't that bad. I'm mainly referring to shit like Primus or Mr. Bungle..like the edgy le random experimental chord changes. That stuff is insufferable.

I thought we established that DSotM isn't prog, though

Nah, it pretty much is. Maybe psychedelic prog, but to deny it is prog is pretty idiotic.

That has more to do with the anarchist ethos of the band than the music the band makes.

calm down boi, i dont mean literally
DSotM is prog rock but its so close to the surface it cant really be a beacon for prog rock

>muh surface
People like you are the reason prog is fedora

xd

sorry i meant entry entry level. not to say its bad or anything im not elitist

Fuck you and fuck prog
Prog is masturbatory as fuck, I don't care that you can do neat guitar tricks because I'm not 11, there's nothing emotionally captivating about that

Whereas post rock is the most human, emotional genre I can think of

Jazz and true classical are still a waste of time, pseud. You only need contemporary classical.

ok fair enough, post rock is more emotional but there are some prog rock songs that really give me the feels as well. I think you assume that prog rock is just guitar solos, forgetting that the moody blues, soft machine, king crimson are all prog rock but center around other instruments as well. it just goes to show how closed minded you really are. personally i like both, but there are plenty of emotional prog rock moments:
youtu.be/_3cu8sDa90Y
youtu.be/7WDkdZ6QvXY?t=4m57s
youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic
youtu.be/-WTNFuF6qiA

Yeah I like KC a lot and some Floyd, but today's prog is different. There's no inherently bad genres, just what they tend to be