I haven't watched TOS in a while...

I haven't watched TOS in a while, but I'm watching 'Balance of Terror' (an episode I don't believe I ever saw) as Fuller has said it's a touchstone for Star Trek: Discovery.

Why did Trek stop being this based? Seriously, I'd never really call myself a Trekkie as much as I grew up on TNG, DS9 and VOY because it was sci-fi and it was airing on television, and I enjoy the shows and characters a fair amount, but TOS was fucking GOAT.

FUCK TNG for making this colorful, melodramatic, zany show into what it did. No wonder people that love all the other shows through and through can't stand the Kelvin Timeline.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>In a different reality, I could have called you friend.

Holy fuck, Kelvin version please.

Tbh if TOS was more based around war/combat DS9 it would have been a far superior series. Roddenberry was a literal, unironic hack.

>Roddenberry was a literal, unironic hack

How dare you.

*like DS9

>denying the truth

I don't think it's true at all, I don't know how you'd arrive at that opinion.

Almost every idea he had for TNG was shit. Although I like TMP better than most he was largely responsible for what went wrong with it.

I watched Charlie X the other day and there was a part where he walks by a group of people invisible to the audience around a corner laughing, says "NO LAUGHING", does something to them, then a second later you hear muffled screaming and a faceless woman comes stumbling around the corner. I felt myself unironically, genuinely disturbed and it really gave me a great early impression (It's only the second episode) of the show.

How the fuck can you call the guy that created the property a hack for contributing subpar work to a reboot when he was past his prime?!

>war/combat
Babylon 5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS9

BSG>>>>>>>>>>alladatshit

youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

Harry Mudd is the GOAT.

> Turning a submarine hunt into a spaceship hunt.
> Everyone has to be really quiet so the enemy doesn't hear them... IN SPACE.
> Spock accidentally drops a spanner and it somehow alerts the enemy. He could be a Romulan spy!

His women weren't that attractive though. They all had a generic beauty about them. They couldn't hold a candle to yeoman Rand.

You're forgetting all about his android babes from season 2.

>nigger captain
not very realistic lets be honest

are you ok with the pew-pew noises the ships' weaponry makes?

>flying alien pancakes episiode

That fucker comes back? I didn't realize. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Eat a thousand dicks you racist piece of shit.

>I like my SF hard and deep

Get a room.

There's a difference between the sound we the audience hears and pretending that suddenly the vacuum of space doesn't exist and the 2 ships are acting like they're underwater where tracking by sound actually works.

That was basically what happened in Wrath of Khan.

Also, Clone Wars had a pretty good "submarine" episode

See, here's the thing: Star Trek is splody boom boom sci-fi, whether Trekkies want to admit it or not. Which is why the Kelvin Timeline bashing from some segments of the fandom is ludicrous.

Roddenberry got caught up in his own utopian vision for the shows future.

The best episodes are war movie pastiches like BoT (the best TOS episode) but too many of them would give Star Trek a darker reputation and forget that they're explorers and diplomats not warriors.

That said I watched Court Martial last night and Capt Kirk has to be one of the most decorated military men of all time.

I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!

im watching star trek for the first time and i just watched this episode last night. kek
you probably like it because these episodes feel like western movies in space.

>The best episodes are war movie pastiches

That's why I liked the Section 31 shit in INTO DARKNESS.

Thank you OP. It's nice to have lots of TNG/DS9 discussion but it's a shame on the 50th anniversary not to have as much of the original.

Lots of the effects are dated but I would argue that the banter between Kirk, Spock and McCoy is still unmatched by any of the other series's.

I always thought it was fucked up that Spock's dad was the Romulan commander. I know he was the Romulan first, but seeing it after watching all the movies and the series, it seems so weird.
If they do a Kelvinverse episode of this, Ben Cross should totally play the Romulan captain.
Actually, they can't. The whole episode was based on how nobody knew what the Romulans looked like. Now they do, thanks to Nero and his guys.

The Court Martial episode messed with my head, when Kirk said he was only 34. It's a really weird feeling to know I'm older than Kirk was. He was always a grownup to me

Absolutely. A lot of fans are moaning about Dicovery being a prequel like Enterprise and the Kelvin Timeline movies, but I'm really hoping it means Fuller wants to lean into the TOS style in a big way.

It's literally a Submarine movie.

Yea it really threw me off aswell. Not least because the Romulanhater on the Con immediately starts giving Spock shit. Had to google to make sure it wasn't Sarek.

I AM KIROK!!

>I always thought it was fucked up that Spock's dad was the Romulan commander. I know he was the Romulan first, but seeing it after watching all the movies and the series, it seems so weird.

Agreed. The only thing worse to me than reusing an actor (it can work if the character is disguised well enough) is recasting an actor.

And wasn't another Romulan officer the guy who cucked Spock in Amok Time?

Yeah, they can't do a straight remake of the episode, but they could introduce the character as a rival to Spock for Kirk's affections.

Young men just looked more mature back in the day, somehow. Chris Pine is 36.

sure but the alternative was someone else playing Sarek and that would waste one of the best castings of the series.

For all Star Trek predicted. Home video and regular watching was not one of them.

Can't pretend I'm that familiar. I should probably rewatch every series, the fact that it's all on Netflix is pretty great.

>he alternative was someone else playing Sarek and that would waste one of the best castings of the series

Double-edged sword, yeah.

Who /identifieswithscotty/ here?

What if they were actually Vulcan spies onboard the Romulan ship, and just staying deep under cover?

I haven't seen wrath of khan, is directors cut the definitive version?

He died onscreen.

Merely pretending.

I am also curious about this because I've seen the theatrical cut and it's great.

Best TOS episode right here.

Or Plato's Stepchildren

>Agreed. The only thing worse to me than reusing an actor (it can work if the character is disguised well enough) is recasting an actor.

See, this worked for me because they were different species. I love that shit. I want to see William Shatner play a Klingon in the Kelvin Timeline.

Yeah it's not really realistic to have a nigger become a captain. And when they did, it was the captain of a fucking space station that didn't go anywhere. Can't have a nigger chimp out when some Vulcan accidentally steps on his/hers brand new space Converse shoes or Fubu designed Star Fleet suit. Chances are that he/she also starts yelling at the screen every time they are being hailed by another ship.

Your comedic talent is wasted here, you should do Klan meetings you repulsive fuck.

Thank you for correcting the record. 0.05 Zimbabwean dollars have been deposited into your account.

Stop holding the rest of your species back you backwards asshole. With attitudes like that We'll never make warp.

If you are triggered...he wins.
If you ignore him...he's pathetic.
When will you people learn this?

>We'll never make warp.
>White people holding everything back.

Right...

Wasn't he the one who liked beating people up?
(((Shatner)))

>being a racist fan of the most overtly progressive, humanist piece of pop culture around

>88

>Rodenberry was a hack

It aired in the mid 60s when there was nothing like it, pushing the boundaries of television. You're just a fucking twat.

They won't. People are fucking retarded. People post offensive shit specifically because they know some idiot will get triggered and give him more material to work with.

Exactly. People seriously abuse the word hack. A hack isn't a writer whose work you find lacking (which is hard to argue in this case anyway), but a writer who churns out schlock for a quick buck. Roddenberry is the opposite of that, he clearly worked hard to bring the world something he truly believed in.

>he doesn't like noises in space.
>literally all sci-fi movies and shows until sandra bullock disaster film.

2OOI had no sound in space, but otherwise you are correct.

2001 doesn't have noise in space, does it? I'm surprised more sci-fi doesn't rise to the challenge desu. BSG came close but gave up real quick after the miniseries. The dull sounds was a nice touch anyhow.

>kubrickmind

>explosion in space
>big fireball, noise

I haven't watched BSG in a long time. It gave up on a lot of things. You can't blame them. It was a long running show on a network that cancelled most of their shows after a season or two.

Yeah but the ships have oxygen in them for the people inside so there could be an explosion in space for a short period of time. In fact every space explosion in movies is brief.

If anything, what happened with BSG after season two should just go to cement why they cancel shows after just a couple seasons.

there's a difference between sounds in space and using sounds in space to locate an other ship. for subs its fine but in space its just dumb

Image you're working on the next episode of your hit sci-fi show, in the 60s. Show the episode to the studio execs, because they give you money, and you're required to.

>"There's no noise when that shit exploded."
>"Actually, there is no sound in space."
>"Yeah, but your average viewer doesn't know that, and it's not very fun is it?"

How do people not realize that times change?

That's also the BSG and Firefly sound logic - the sound we hear as an audience is in reality localised, not "captured" in the vacuum of space.

I doubt they expected it to last as long as it did.

They didn't get cancelled did they, they called it quits. I liked the whole show though, could've done with approx 1000% less "spirituality", but I found the whole thing emotionally and dramatically satisfying, and nothing's ever going to erase those first two seasons. One of my favourite shows of all time.

That was the point he was making. Because they didn't expect to last beyond a season or two, they hadn't planned that far out. Then they pulled a LOST, and made shit up as they went along, and ended up writing themselves into retardation.

That said, I agree with you about the first two seasons, and Razor. They are GOAT.

I was familiar with Balance of Terror before Fuller said anything. You BoT newfags need to get out of Trek fandom and stop making trekthreads. Poseur fucks.

>You BoT newfags need to get out of Trek fandom and stop making trekthreads. Poseur fucks.

I hope this is a joke.

Chris Pine looks much more seasoned now than he did a few years ago. He's already going grey.

Yeah, I like it. I also think that if he played the character into his 60s like Shatner did (I doubt it, but still) he'd age a lot better. As in we won't be looking at a tubby guy with a grey perm, he'll be more Liam Neeson. Sexy old action Kirk is something I can live with.

Nice filename

>2 ships are acting like they're underwater where tracking by sound actually works
If a ship can scan space and see another ship, it's safe to assume that vibrations within a ship can also be scanned

This is like arguing that ship-to-ship communication wouldn't work because it uses sound. Like, yeah, it does, but that sound is transmitted in a different form

No, he specifically hits a button that opens up a radio frequency.

Love it when these Hard SF nazis get TOLD Pressed Latinum.

>Why did Trek stop being this based?
Probably The Next Generation. It's weird, TOS had its '60s cheesiness, but the instant Q showed up I got the feeling TNG was going to be schlock.

i like tng but TOS definitely had a more human feel, less technobabble more organic character etc.

I bet Charlie would browse /r9k/

Is "The City on the Edge of Forever" the most overrated episode ever?

What makes you think it's overrated?

>I am Kirok!
>mfw

>Kelvin Timeline

Is that the movie verse? Is STD set in the movie verse? Fuck.

It's not.

So what the fuck is the Kelvin timeline then

>You're just a fucking twat.

Lmao fuck off leddit

> This is like arguing that ship-to-ship communication wouldn't work because it uses sound. Like, yeah, it does, but that sound is transmitted in a different form

Are completely retarded? Yeah, electromagnetic waves travel in a vacuum, acoustic vibrations do not. They're not similar in the slightest.

Finally someone who has actually seen the episode. You're right, he did open up a radio frequency by accident. The rest of you faggots claiming "muh sound travels thru space because it's a TV show" should go kill yourselves. You're what's wrong with scifi.

you are hearing those noises from inside the hull

Its why you can hear the generators charge

Its also why you can hear the warp drive charge