How can you tell if diamonds are real, and if they aren't, how can you tell what the gems are? For instance...

How can you tell if diamonds are real, and if they aren't, how can you tell what the gems are? For instance, what are these and is it worth anything?
>PIC related

>take it to a jeweler
>get it appraised
>???
>profit

if its real it can cut glass if it doesnt then u got fuckered mane

being that it literally looks like they are hot glued in im going with fake, and worthless

pretty much any gem
including ziconia
can cut glass

drop the gem in a high acid bath
glass will dissolve
carbon based gems will not

you can see the scratches in them...they are plastic and you are right they are hot glued in xD

>take it to a jew
>get it appraised
>multiply appraisal by 10
>Oy vey
>profit

but that ring has plastic, not gems, so put it to a flame and enough said.

hit them with a hammer, diamonds are the hardest metal

just because its hard doesnt mean it wont shatter you nigger. Rub it on glass or ceramics and it should leave a cut in it..............................................................................................................................................................................................

Diamonds are the hardest metal, eh?

If there is a hollow opening under the gem, it might be real. Gems need a lot of space to expand and contract with the temperature so they don't crack or flaw. Anything set without a cutout is surely fake.

Everyone here is a fucktard
>eat it
>shit it out
>if it comes out yellowish blue its real
>if bluish yellow it fake
>any other color is cancer

welcome to Sup Forums, enjoy the summer

Heat it up to about 800°C. If it is a diamond, it should start to burn.

heat up the ring real good and throw it in a glass of cold water
if it is any other gem they should scatter
be careful though!

these are 100% fake
nobody hot-glues diamonds to a ring

Lol thanks for the replies guys. We broke it apart and as we expected, they are fake. I just wanted to make sure we didn't come across a golf mine.

old ex gf worked crafting jewelry, real stuffs. I had the chance to look and handle real diamonds. Almost every gem on earth can scratch glass (including zircon), even steel.

For your photo I'm almost sure they are fake. Real diamonds don't refract they light iridescently, they refract light in shades of gray. almost every light than pass trough them is insta bend so fast you can't see anything. Secondly, diamonds never are glued. They are mounted on fine hard metals, like gold or platinum, cuz they cut anything else.

is it true, that real diamonds will burn like coal?

Yep, because they are made of carbon. They atoms realign under great pressure and heat, forming diamonds, but, they are still carbon. Then, they burn under very high temperature

ok, thanks

yes, and after that it would be ash

Mohs hardness scale autist

You can just weigh it. diamonds are heavier than other objects, so one 1 gram of diamonds is like 16 grams if you weigh it

Scratch it with a mineral hardness of 9 if it does not show a scratch it is diamond.

>1 gram of diamonds is like 16 grams if you weigh it

Here you go Jew

b8b8

We've been through this before

isnt a 1 gram just a 1 gram? or there is a new matemathic mehod?

Also real diamonds would not be glued on like that. It would have to go to a gem setter to be properly set. So it is probably and most likely a fake.

>buying rocks

Oh my god, a thread for me, I'm a gemmologist (It has two m's in the UK). FGA DGA.

I can tell you just by looking the ones in the picture aren't real. The cut is wrong, table facet is too small, the whole crown is too high. Misshaped, cut badly. They're glued in rather than set. Almost certainly paste, which is just a fancy glass I'm afraid.

For reference Over 80% of the stones I see at work will look like this.

TIR, or Total Internal Reflection is what you're describing. All Round Brilliant diamonds are cut to return all the light that enters them, either as brilliance, which is your white light, and fire, your rainbow colours that you see when you watch a diamond sparkle under light.

Does it have something to do with them being the hardest metal? hahahaha this thread is going to kill me!

Yes, but the only way to achieve it is to take a blue diamond which is coloured by Boron (which also turns it into a semi-conductor) and run a current through it. It heats up and burns which is quite impressive. I actually have no idea what happens if you heat one conventionally, but given diamonds actually form in the mantle (The core might actually have been right on that one) I doubt anything can get hot enough.

I think you might be getting confused with SG, Specific Gravity. That's to do with density, so a 1ct diamond will be a larger size than a 1ct Sapphire for example, since Corundum has a higher SG.