Hey anons, I'm starting college on August 21, and I'm pretty nervous...

Hey anons, I'm starting college on August 21, and I'm pretty nervous. I was thinking about getting a degree in Psychology, I practically fell in love with the subject in high school, but I'm not sure about it anymore. Should I go for a S.T.E.M degree? I feel like I should as I would basically be guaranteed a job after college and I would be making a lot of money. Anyways, just post some shit in here anons I'm spooked about college. Share some stories or somethin'. Fuck.

Bump ;-;

Please anons..

I'm starting college too. Are you more worried about the academic, social, or financial parts?

Academic
I've heard everyone say that it's "sooo much harder omg!!!!111!!!" is it true user? Also, I'm very undecided about what degree I should get.

Don't fall for the S.T.E.M meme. The field is saturated just like nursing and other meme shit.

It's not as hard as high-school teachers made it out to be. I'm close to finishing my first year. Nothing too bad.

Oh okay, thanks
I heard about S.T.E.M from literally every one of my teachers.
That's a relief. All I hear about from any teacher anywhere is "OhmygodCOLLEGEisFUCKINcrazycanyourASPERGERSassevenhandleit?"

> Guaranteed job
> lots of money

Ahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

You're in for a surprise kiddo.

But my advice would be go for what you're most passionate about. If it turns out to be harder than you thought, that passion will help you through the tough times. Otherwise, you'll just drop out. And STEM subjects are exponentially harder than the rest, with the exception of medicine, so if you're concerned about the level then avoid them.

Also, what country are you in? That makes a massive difference

Thanks, user, I really do like psychology, and my original plan before I sperged out was to get a masters degree in it.

America

U of A?

U S of A

I was the same guy in both of those. I fell for the S.T.E.M meme. Still fucking with it. If you want guaranteed money and a job, hit up a trade school. Or, do as the other guy suggested and and do what you're passionate about. Even with my experience and shit, I can't find a job within a 50 mile radius of me. I'm not in a position to move yet.

31 here. Never finished college. My original major was psychology, after boughts of depression and anxiety, decide to keep changing major, studying different shit.
fast foward to now, just got laid off from best job Ive had (an IT job) .
Moral of story: get a degree, any degree. Dont think too much about it. Most likely you'll end up in IT like everyone I know, but with a degree, its going to be easier to get a job.

Then you'll be fine. The US has one of the most flexible systems in the world, so you can pick subjects up and drop them as you see fit. Go in with the mind she to do psychology but a)don't be surprised to find that college level psychology is not what you want, b) don't be afraid to recognise your mistake and change direction. With regards to the latter, I'd generally say that the sooner you change the better. That doesn't mean that you change the day you have a bad lecture, but that you shouldn't "hold on for another couple of years and see how it goes".

I'm sorry to hear about your impending debt.

Go to trade school and learn how to weld/pipefit and go make some actual money instead of putting yourself 60k in debt and working at McD's after you graduate.

I'm really sorry about all that, geez. Thank you for the advice though.
Alrighty, and I'm not worried about the debt part right now.
I'll look into it OP, but psychology really interests me, and I don't know if anything else can match that, but ill try. thanks

Psychollogy/psychiatrist.
Doctor/surgeon..
Fuck up a surgery or give wrong info. You'll be sued for malpractice.
Fuck up somebodys mind.. nobody knows

OP, I should also mention. Think about this for a second. Most of my friends are in I.T. despite what their degrees are in.

friend1: psychology degree - I.T.
friend2: some math degree - working I.T. for gov.
friend3: biology degree - I.T. for city
friend4: Marine Biology degree - I.T. in SF now
friend5: Theater Arts degree.... - Health I.T

All are making above 60k.
Me: no degree, best job, I was making 40k before getting canned.

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys do your first week of college?

Oh damn

Just take core classes your first semester, maybe one psych class and see if you like it or not. You can always change your major down the road, I know a bunch of people who change majors after taking some classes and learning that they hate their major

That's pretty much what I'm doing
my schedule is
>English
>Math
>Western Civ
>Psychology

a former coworker of mine had a psych degree. Her first jobwas as a customer facing support person. Paid about 40k.
Not using her degree, but making more than I did, at her very first job.

so, again, honestly your degree probably wont matter much, but my anecdotal evidence points to you should get one anyway.
its almost like, a degree wont guarantee you a good job, but not having one makes it even harder I think.
I might go back to school for information systems.

btw, the reason I changed out of a psych major, even though I still find it endlessly interesting to this day, is because the only jobs that it seems to be paired with are correctional officer, social worker and therapist (if you get your masters) , none of which I wanted to do. I still read psych books here and there for fun though.
Keep in mind, just because you dont do something as a profession, doesnt mean you cant enjoy it as a hobby.

Yeah you're right user.