Why are Americans so fucking shit at making music? There are exceptions...

Why are Americans so fucking shit at making music? There are exceptions, but the vast majority of good music seems to come out of the UK.
Think of the 10 most acclaimed artists of all time. How many of them are British? Seems like the Brits are awfully over represented, having 1/5th the US's population.

it's ok to be upset

a lot of good musicians have come out of the states, although given their population relative to the UK and even Canada, their musical talent seems to be lacking

>Think of the 10 most acclaimed artists of all time
lets just go by album sales
>AC/DC
>michael Jackson
>pink floyd
>whitney houston
>meat loaf
>eagles
>bee gees
>fleetwood mac

as an american, I can safely say that the average person here doesn't care about art in the slightest, and only consumes it as a medium of entertainment.

the UK and places like Germany, Spain and Japan have produced much more good music per capita, and I imagine that's probably because they existed in the civilized world for a much longer period of time

its probably not a good sign if the black minorty produces more worthwhile art in a country than the massive white majority

Three quarters of those artists are shit

>black minority produces more worthwhile art in a country than the massive white majority
Except they dont, you cuck. Stop listening to rap.

Nah, American music is far less pretentious compared to its UK counterparts. UK tries to make everything seem sophisticated, but forgets that it's making rock music. I really don't get why the majority of UK "rock" musicians didn't just make classical music or jazz. I'll tell you why, because they know none of their tripe would be considered actually good when compared to the real masters of more complex music. America doesn't forget that they are making popular music, thus all their music has that energy. Even America's equivalent of complex rock music, Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band, kept this in mind as its complexities wasn't in some pretentious heady shit like large arrangements of w/e instruments or playing in a variety of keys or w/e, it was strictly rhythmic.

I feel that it's the Brits way of being taken seriously when they have been making the most boring Art Music of the past few centuries. So they put the Art Music into popular music so people can be all like "whoa!"

>british music is too smart for me

English speakers in general have historically had a dearth of good composers.

>decades worth of jazz
>decades worth of soul
>gospel
>funk
>rock
>blues

you're fucking retarded if you think blacks haven't contributed more to music than whites in america, and I don't listen to hip hop at all, I'm a rockist like you probably are

Metallica, Megadeth, Twisted Sister, Mötley Crüe, Poison, Quiet Riot, the list goes on.
>they're all shit. I-I'm gonna go listen to some N-Neutral Milk H-Hotel

>black minority produces more worthwhile art
>implying
Christ, I didn't want to believe it, but it's true: Actual niggers browse this board.

Thread is obviously bait, but any objective person would admit that the UK pretty much always lagged behind the US musically and more often than not look to the US for musical inspiration.

This. I think the UK and even some acts in the US forget why people turn to music in the first place: entertainment. If you don't entertain, people are going to yawn.

>british music is too smart for me
No, as
>none of their tripe would be considered actually good when compared to the real masters of more complex music
shows, I know my shit, and I am not gonna waste my time on Brit garbage.
The music is just like the worst of both worlds, ya know? Not entertaining nor as intellectually stimulating as actually complex music.

Americans are good in Jazz, Funk and Hip hop, they suck at the rest.

This.

In the early 1900s, British music was basically still traditional folk while Americans were beginning to develop jazz and blues.

20's to 40's British music is basically a lost generation. Skiffle was the most popular music there, which is basically a revival of ragtime New Orleans Jazz. Meanwhile, Louis Armstrong, Robert Johnson, Charlie Parker, Art Blakey, Miles Davis, etc, etc were pushing boundaries.

50's. Most popular Brit performer was probably Billy Fury. A rip off of Elvis. They had nothing like Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbinson, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly, electric blues like Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. And in Jazz, Miles, Mingus, Monk, Ornette Coleman were reinventing Jazz.

60's. I'm not going to take away anything from the great Brit invasion groups, but they were massively influenced by American music and innovation wise, were lagging behind acts such as Zappa, Beefheart, and the Velvet Underground. The best experimental music was coming from the US around this time, too. Robert Ashley, Terry Riley, La Monte Young, Steve Reich, Pauline Oliveros, Subotnick. US artists were also laying the foundations for punk (Sonics, MC5, Stooges) while Brit rock bands were still figuring out how to play the Blues correctly. Then you had James fuckin' Brown. The British soul and funk "movement" was importing American 45s (Northern Soul).

70s. All the big UK genres (prog, glam, and then post-punk) have already been done by Americans, who were moving into Hip-Hop and perfecting funk.

80's-Now. I'll give the Brits synthpop and goth rock. Other than that, really nothing that Americans hadn't already done. Late 80's/early 90's British electronic music was basically figuring out another way to sample and cut up the Amen and Apache breaks (which urban DJs had been doing since the 70s), while Americans had already innovated with Acid House, Electro, and Turntablism.

Argument fail.

>Bee Gees were not american

>being so Sup Forums that you physically cannot handle american musical history

jesus fuck you guys are faggots