Never seen a PTA film before, I like Phoenix, Del Toro and Brolin.What am I in for?

Also I like neon stuff.

Confusion.

a headache

Don't start with inherent vice

probably not the best pta movie to start with

boring big lebowski in the 70s

It's a very comfy film, I like it.

But not best for first PTA film.

I'd say that would be There Will Be Blood

watch chronogical

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

>no one says Boogie Nights

neo-Sup Forums is trash

D R O P P E D

joaquin is based though

hates the academy and all the circlejerky nature of fame

Mischling are the real master race
Intelligence and cunning of jews
Beauty and strength of whites

I really don't like this director and especially don't like this movie. Usually I love pretentious nonsense so my complete inability to appreciate this movie makes me feel like a pleb. But God damn, it's all just so pointless and long.

There will be blood was much more interesting but still really didn't make much of a connection with me.

What's pretentious about it?

>you

Inherent vice is pleb filter. The main criticism i see is that its confusing, those people fail to realise that was the point

>pretending to know what pretensions means

And don't come back!

Then it was a retarded point.

It was a deconstruct on those detective movies. Have you read the book?

Convoluted slow-moving and somewhat confusing plot.

Terrific atmosphere, and thematically it touches on several elements which I found interesting (secret societies, corruption, hallucinations)

Strong performances, dynamic interactions between characters (Esp Jaquin and Main Cop Guy).

Compared to PTA's earlier movies, I'd say it's a merge of Waking Life and The Master.

It's like Pulp Fiction in slow motion without the violence, and with more psychedelics.

Several different mysteries, and alot is left up for the viewer to interpret themselves.

First time, don't watch it for the plot, just go along for the ride. Second time, take note of plot points, and try to put the pieces together. That's what I did anyway, and I enjoyed it. Although I did fall asleep at some point in the movie, and had to rewind.

>Pic related it's a p good scene

It isn't even confusing. It's a fucking detective movie, of course certain things won't immediately make sense.

How does that make it good?

>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

This sums up exactly how I feel about inherent vice. Please give me examples of movies you think are more pretentious than this.

The fact that its original, unpredictible and smart? I dont know

>This sums up exactly how I feel about [insert movie].
You tried.

>I like neon stuff.

Inherent Vice is a perfect example of a film that gets better each time you watch it.

I read the book first, and so the movie left me kind of underwhelmed when I saw it in theaters. PTA made the decision to sacrifice the coherence of the plot in order to preserve the perfect flow of everything else in the film. Upon rewatching it 5 times now I can honestly say it's one of my favorite films.

Watch it for the laughs, the atmosphere, and the dialogue. Don't worry about the plot, it's unimportant

What's original and smart about an incoherent detective story?

But I don't think this film was pretentious at all.

Good adaptation of a work by an essentially unadaptable author. You probably won't like it unless you read the book first.

this

40 minutes in, didn't read the book but 300US$ for a month was a big thing back then?I didn't know that.

Yeah nice try samefag.

>a move more pretentious than this

All of David Lynch's work. But I was once told by a Lynchian that a movie or piece of art by itself couldn't be pretentious.

It's a mess.

inb4 some faggot says it's supposed to be a mess. yes i know that, but you don't need to make a mess in order to represent a mess. while the content is simplified, the sequencing is even messier than the book.

God you give off the "im 18 and into cinema" vibe

ugh

>you will never be this pleb and live the quite, simple pleb life

Inherent Vice is only confusing if you have your face buried in your fucking phone. Pay attention to what your doing you ADD having millenials

>Waking Life

Wasn't that Richard Linklater?

Will we ever get a Gravity's Rainbow movie without being heavily censored?

To all who've read the book as well, what were some of your favorite scenes that didn't make it into the movie?
>anything with St. Flip
>Doc's acid trip
>the ending with Doc driving into the fog

The fact that the chracters are all distinctive, the use of humor is smart in the way some scenes repeat themselves with joaquin phoenix character, the criticism the movie makes about people like josh brolin character or the "man in power" as a whole. The use of the old physical humour works well for me as i find it funnier than the verbal jokes i see all the time on the internet, which makes them predictable. The acting is great, i dont know what anymore you want, i feel like if it wasnt directed by paul thomas anderson it would be loved more, as i think people dislike the movie because they feel he tries to trick them or something and it makes them feel smart to dislike a movie made by the guy who made some alltime classic movies that will be remebered for generations

but it is not incoherent though

this, i love this movie (big fan of both PTA and thomas pynchon)

we are born to suffer

That's not thanks due to the incoherent story though.

I'm not saying the movie didn't have some great qualities. Just that the impossible to follow plot isn't one of them.

How could it be made? A trilogy maybe?

Four movies based off the four main sections?
A miniseries?

personally I love when writers explore these alternative approaches to story-telling

four movies would be great. Director?

yeah it was, love that movie

>use of the old physical humour works well for me
>that scene when Doc is going through that guys tie closet and he sniffs suddenly, turns and with a panicked yelp blurts out "BIG FOOT"

one of the funniest bits of the movie imo, he can literally smell his arch-nemesis' arrival

I honestly have no idea. I'd imagine someone surrealist but you'd still need all the slap stick scenes.

I'm a third of the way through Mason & Dixon, and it's my favorite of Pynchon's so far. All I have left afterwards is GR and Vineland

I just couldn't stand Mason & Dixon. Stopped reading right before they go off to America. Read every other Pynchon except Slow Learner and Vineland.

bad movie

halfway GR, its incredible. Vineland is similar to IV, but a bit stupider

You'd be better off starting with Boogie Nights.

IV? You mean V.? I loved V. but heard Vineland was pretty bad.

sorry, Inherent Vice. i've yet to read V