I bought this little thing at goodwill for $5 and after looking up why I can't get any signal I found out in the past...

I bought this little thing at goodwill for $5 and after looking up why I can't get any signal I found out in the past few years there has been a total shift from analog to digital signals. I was devastated. Why is the future so cruel?

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/analog-tv-dtv-transition-1845700
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gut it and turn it into a Raspberry Pi computer. More than enough room. Planning something similar for my Macintosh Classic.

How would I get a screen that fits the same dimensions as the hole?

>a total shift from analog to digital signals

couldn't be farther from the truth, analog signals are transmitted still. you might just need a decent antenna.

take the dimensions of the thing and search for one?

do the antenna still on it?

if not, jam a metal coat hanger in there

From what I read on the FCC site it was a forced transition

You don't, you buy an LCD of a similar size and adjust the resolution within the settings of your given OS.

>anaLOG

dude that was in like 2006-2007...

I used to watch TV with analog signals when I was a kid, I bought it because it would be cool to see television like that again

One thing to remember about removing CRT displays, touching the wrong bit can kill you. Even while unplugged, it can discharge and shock you.

Congrats! You've just discovered how much of an idiot you are! To think it only cost you $5! You could have gotten married, had kids, bought a house before you discovered this. Think of how much more expensive that would have been?

Fuzzy channels and signal noise has given way to skippy audio and sound and "signal lost."

>unless special permission has been given to a specific station licensee by the FCC to allow them to continue

lifewire.com/analog-tv-dtv-transition-1845700

almost all news broadcasting companies have this permission, meaning all of their programming is still broadcast in analog form, to be honest if you really wanna use that thing just get an analog to digital converter.

you just found this out?

It's comfy

Well I guess for now I just have a big radio with a useless screen until I do a diy project with it

It also came with the 8 D batteries inside which is worth it by itself

Yes it's retarded. OP, stop making me feel old. These were sold at CVS and were like $30. Black and White. I almost bought one a few times. I have a 1985 Emerson color portable, owned it long enough to watch an episode off the Simpsons on analog. $5 too. Better reception than I get on a digital converter, with a FUCKING FLATSCREEN. Seriously, how can anyone watch digital TV? Analog 4 Life.

I want to find a way to watch TV on mine again. Thought about ttying to put in a triple RCA.

what mountain top do you guys live on?

>buy old nintendo
>plug into tv
>profit

just buy an digital -> analog converter box

they go for like $10 or less second hand since nobody needs them anymore.

Get a better than but have it around, you're bound to stumble on to something weird

At first I thot pic was a screengrab from Nightmare on Elm St.

Only has a headphone port and extra antenna port

>Get a better than but have it around, you're bound to stumble on to something weird

can someone decipher this please?

I wanted to make some cool creepy pictures with it but I don't have a good camera

you better not

I think he means find something better than what in have but hold on to it in case I find some in weird trying to find a channel

That things adorable. Mod that baby.

yup analog tv signals where shutdown on the 8th of September 2008 in the US and on the 17th of October 2007 in the UK

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television_transition

No, the low quality enhances the creepiness. Like Night of the Living Dead.

for us britfags it happened in 2012

You are dense. I NEED THE PROPER INPUT YOU MONG. but I do have a 1993 Magnavox portable with a white and yellow.

They sell digital antennas that hook up, like the as seen on tv shits. My grams gave me one awhile ago use it mostly when internet goes out.

well, finished in '12. idc when it started

I remember looking up even if I get an antenna like that it still won't work because the TV doesn't process digital signals

I live in Houston Tx, a huge city, and can't get a good digital signal for shit. I think the atmosphere here is clouded with mexican farts.

i see creepypasta contender

thank you.
no, read

Raspi I's have composite video out. You can also use a video converter to simply use composite outputs.

My babies.

AND THEYRE CALLED INPUT CONVERTERS YOU MONG. Connect the convertor to the proper adapter for your shitty magnacox.

you need one of these, nigger

And connect it to this, good sir.

amazon com/RCA-STB7766G1-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-Box/dp/B002QS1ND2

you can post an amazon link without breaking it up, just so you know.

Big one holds 10 D batterier or a special battery pack. Fucker would be so heavy. I need to replace the volume slide and the fuse. Both of these are color. Only other vintage TV I own is a 1968 RCA. Just rabbit ears. Hooked my VCR to it though. I need a signal booster though it was fuzzy. Solid state too. Only Black and White TV I own.

Aahahhah

Faggot.

They switched to digital in 2009

U need convertor box.

Or just use it to watch your VHS tapes.

Oh! Thank you.

I have one somewhere. I need to convert to THIS

You can prob find both at the Good Will.

They make adaptors to allow connecting rca cables.red white yellow to a regular antenna dumbass

1/8" phono?

Bam thats it..

Use it to practice melee tech on long car rides

I'm guessing this?

You can put an Atari on the 1/8" input

Not really worried about the Magnavox. I watch DVD's on it sometimes when I can locate the cord. I want to use my Emerson again.

Is that a coaxial adapter? Yes it's like a headphone jack.

plug convertor box into extra antenna port.

Post pics of this port of which you speak so we techanons know if its 300ohm twinlead or 75 ohm coax

NOOB to the pi computers. What makes them so desirable? Sell me on it.

My camera is garbage but it is the same size as a headphone port

I suspect the current is too low to kill, plus only the paddles or stick could get wet.

Great! Now, fill the tub with water, get in, reach over, pick up the TV, position it in front of you, and release.

;)

Most of these things usually have at least a cable input. I put one in my bathroom for years and ran cable tv (til I quit it) and an NES with an emulator cartridge in it.

So it uses a headphone plug for the antenna?

Yeah

Cute. I wonder is Curtis is loke Curtis-Mathis. My friend has a TV radio phono set that is from the early 60's. Fucker is so huge. He has had over 20 vintage televisions. Bought him a 1955 Admiral for a belated wedding present.

Thats fukkin wacky. Just use a cutoff headphone plug and twist the wire onto a piece of coax so you can plug it into your VCR and watch your tapes. It wil prolly work.

If you have a 75-300 ohm balun like the one pictured above by anotheranon you might use that in between to improve the impedance match.

Always wanted one this size for a bookshelf TV like in Hey Arnold. Or a private bunker TV or something.

haha the future is cruel

Or just use a cliplead straight from the atenna to the coax ... since thisis gonna be ugly no matter what you do.

I mean people charge their phones in a bath. People get on motorcycles without a helmet. If you know not to dip a paddle I will say my video game bathtub is ok.

What's the size of the screen?
Is it color or black and white?

Don't just shitcan the thing. There's a lot of old equipment out there made with these old CRT screens that are still in use. They don't make the screens anymore so used ones are getting pulled into the supply chain of spares. This could turn out to be valuable because of that.

I hooked up a VCR with a two-screw to coax on my RCA. It looked meh. Just wrapping headphone wires around a coax seems like it would barely work at best. Maybe I'm wrong. I believe the RCA only had one wire to hook up to. Got picture and sound though.

It's a Coby. I've only heard of them making b&w. Who still uses these, security surveillance?

I believe the natural impedance of a dipole antenna is 300 ohm ... to get to the 75 ohm of coax you need to employ a balun like user suggested to impedance match. That might improve your experience. Just hook one spade lug to the antenna and the other to the chassis ground if you can. Might be hard to do if the whole case is plastic.

My parents live near the mexican border. Their old TV picks up analog TV from Mexico.

Kek I guess I can snip an aux cord, do I literally just loop the wire around the pin on a coax

Sure! Just as long as you contact the center conductor.. Thats where the signal jizz goes.

I see them on a lot of old CNC machinery. There's a company in my area that converts lcd screens to replace the CRTs because you just can't buy them anymore. The last maker of CRTs got out of the business years ago and the supply of replacements has just dried up.

Cool! I'll remember that user. I worry about blowing out the circuits messing with wires and such. I bought a NES off an old drunk who connected it to a TV that way. It's got the Channel 3 adaptor already in it. Think I had it tested once and it nerds a new controller port. Gameplay bought the Sega I got from him though. Dude lived alone and had a pet pidgeon locked in the bedroom. Gave it a dresser and it had pecked all sorts of holes in it. Neat guy.

Just imagine where his life could be bay now had he only discovered Sup Forums in his youth

I paid $1 for this TV at a garage sale. Lady told me to turn it into an aquarium. I almost fainted.

Pigeon-mans warrior NES. I still need to get a working one and Super Mario 3. I want a color knob so I can make Mario green and purple again.

A fish tank??

Holy shit it worked
You probably can't tell from the pic but the news came on with perfect sound

I also was just holding it on so the quality would probably be better if I put more time in keeping it on

awesome.
one less crt in the landfill.
for now.

There are still free channels but you have to have a digital converter.

Nah I wouldn't have thrown it away even if it didn't turn on, I just like these kinds of things

I must say, one of the better threads I've been in in a long time. Thank you based OP for starting the thread.

get a anolog to digital converter box, they are pretty cheap.

Someone already said get a digital signal converter and an input converter. Why is this thread still up?

Sage