Why isn't all classical like this? it would be so much more interesting and better

why isn't all classical like this? it would be so much more interesting and better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fXLHjBFW2j8
youtube.com/watch?v=_TKVpUSWCug
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dont you have anything better to do with your time than post stupid shit on Sup Forums

Why would repetition make things more interesting? wouldn't that make it the opposite.

Hardline minimalism has its place and subtle changes and phasing are fine, but personally I like constant harmonic changes - something Reich doesn't provide. I also like polyphony - another thing Reich doesn't provide. He rarely uses 1 good melody, let alone 2 different good melodies at once, both complimenting each other.

interesting to me is 4 voices playing different melodies, all interweaving and creating interesting harmonic changes and straddling a balance between memorable melodies and melodies that sound natural but you can't quite grasp them.

dont you have anything better to do with your time than post reasonable content on Sup Forums

dont you have anything better to do with your time than point out stupid shit on Sup Forums

no

>He rarely uses 1 good melody, let alone 2 different good melodies at once, both complimenting each other.
What? The very essesnce of Reich's music is the conterpoint. The melodies he overlays are somewhat repetitive of course (very rarely does he repeat a bar without alteration), but Reich's music is always highly contrapuntal.

You don't know what counterpoint is.

You don't know what counterpoint is.

this isn't classical.

Jesus christ the lack of culture some of you guys seem to suffer from is.embarrassing to say the least

reichs counterpoint is that of 2 records of the same song playing out of sync - one being a few bpm faster or slower than the other. Its not real counterpoint as we know it.

Listen to Bach fugues and you will see actual counterpoint in action.

I'm not referring to his early phasing works.
Try listening to any of his major works.

>He rarely uses 1 good melody

wow lad

its true though. hum me a memorable Reich melody

Reich's "counterpoint" is meh at best.

post examples of what you like then?

Yeah I definitely agree. This,the classical tracks off of the soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange, and Moonlight Sonata are my favorite pieces due to how much they engage me as a listener. Wellington’s Victory/The Battle Symphony, Op. 91 by Beethoven is growing on me as well.

reich is overrated by posers. no wonder you want all classical dumbed down for you

youtu.be/fXLHjBFW2j8

i disagree. hes art music for the art world. not music world. its post modernist and is to be thought of in post structural way where concept and ideas are referencial but not tied to traditional ideas of art musics traditional concepts being related to literature or religion and tied to a ruleset of western art music. composers such as john cage or henry flynt should be thought of in the same way.

I just wish there were more David Borden Counterpoint-style pieces out there

music for the art world > music for the music world

The rate of harmonic change isn't frequent in his music. Most great melodies are made great with how they interact with harmony, though I know you already know this. Just further proving your point lol

>melody
>good

>hum me a memorable Reich melody
youtube.com/watch?v=_TKVpUSWCug

0:00 and 2:17 immediately come to mind

at this point i'm interested in classical music "overrated by posers"
any rec? also dumbed down please.

>doesn't use constant harmonic changes on MF18M
Dude wtf is wrong with you the piece has an 11 chord cycle, that's more than what guys like Riley, Eastman, Melnyk, Palestine, Glass, Cage, and Feldman on Rothko/Why Patterns could do.

It's far more melodically driven than most non-sacred minimalist works, too. Even then at least the melody has more of an aspect of development than sacred stuff.

Not to mention how it takes these and uses them in a minimalist structure to offer something a quadruple melody Wagner piece would never be able to do.

In your attempt to seemingly bash minimalism, you outed yourself being just as big a pleb as OP. I personally think of it as two polar opposite sides of the classical pleb coin. There's OP style people on one side who can't into more melodically/harmonically complex classical music and thus say all that is boring since it requires them to put in more attention to get the most out of it. Then there's people like you who automatically think maximalist complexity equates to the only good thing to come out of western art music.

>being just as big a pleb as OP.

fpbp
>"classical"
Kill yourself OP

>he thinks the problem with op was that he called reich classical

lol

Minimalism is classical idiot

minimalism is widely considered a continuation of 'western classical music'

it highlights they don't know what they fuck they're on about
The period between 1730 and 1820 is the Classical period of western art music, "classical" isn't a genre cunt

classical also refers to western tradition art music which both predates and postdates the classical period encompassing styles from Medieval to Contemporary music

Of course. I just knew I couldn't make a post about classical or really any music that wouldn't be scrutinized mercilessly over some stupid tiny detail. As if I or anyone doesn't understand classical is just a period within le western art music, but use it anyways as it is commonly referred to. No, I must go to extreme lengths so as to escape the acidic hatred of the rejects of society and the pinkie uppers.

How about all of you die? That's the simple solution to this. If you can't accept common word usage and are so fucking pedantic that you have to "correct" me for my phrasing on a music forum: die. Because I can't even fathom how you people live when you can't let something so simple slip by.

And don't even bother posting, because I realize that most of you are posturing faggots who would just post Beethoven, the most emotionally monotone and elevator of all great composers. So just fuck off and die. Or better yet, post a funny may may reaction pic with "u mad?" text since you probably model your personality off screen caps from Reddit considering that's how everyone on here acts.

ye I was being pedantic because this is Sup Forums and snobbery needs to be fought with snobbery

If you're gonna make a stupid thread with some half-baked blanket aggravating statement about something you know nothing about then of course people are going to shit on you
>shitting on beethoven
if you'd said Mozart I'd have agreed but beethy was a groundbreaking composer, eat a dick

but you were wrong
and he was right

do you mean lack of a culture for the board or a lack of being cultured in the arts? either way i agree with you

also listening to classical in a recorded medium is a fucking lame thing to do. if you wanna fully enjoy classical study the actual piece then find a version you like the most. better yet search for local concerts and see shit there.

implying your comment was cultured....

>falling for a copypasta
lol

fuck yeah why patterns

>also listening to classical in a recorded medium is a fucking lame thing to do
>then find a version you like the most
Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

have you been on rym before? you'd know what i am talking about if you have

>Beethoven, the most emotionally monotone and elevator of all great composers
t. doesn't get it