Is this not the best entry level field recorder out there?

Is this not the best entry level field recorder out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IpUN4FMsgcw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is a field recording?

I have it and I like it a lot, records a wide range of levels, good controls etc..
Also there's a firmware update which allows overdubbing. And you can record line in also.
Not sure how it stacks up against similar models like those from Zoom.

something used to record field

Recording outside the studio.

its a voice recorder. it doesnt record field. it records voice.

How does it stack up against other Tascam models though?

I have exactly same model, its god tier for the price.

What does that graph have to do with the particular model in OP's post? You didn't even provide the specifications of it.

How to get started with field recordings? Any good resources?

There must be a flowchart or something on this board.

Anyone?

How does this compare to the DR07?

I was asking about recording techniques.

Also no idea, it's the only one I've used.

Just use your phone

those little things are for recording voice samples. they filter out background noises. they're meant for use taking notes or recording meetings.

they have a bunch of DSP functions built in like a compressor, "noise" filters, vocoder. you cant turn them off, it's a part of the asic. you're stuck with shitty compressed audio even if you select the WAV output because of all the shitty preprocessing filters they throw in. the problem is that the biggest market for this sort of thing is as a toy or interview tool or general note taking applications.

I have a H2N,
it's adaptability, wide range of options, and durability, are nice. I can also cause wild feedback with the headphones on max gain and 4 channels.
On the other side it's a bit outdated compared to newer models - it doesn't have an XY for example. I still like it a lot, even if after an year of using it I've grown hungry for better equipment.
I have no experience with the DR05, but if it's really a voice recorder, I bet there are better options out there.

For me - it's all ear. Get a pair of headphones, stuck them in the recorder and go out. Explore the built-in options of the recorder - various types of compression and leveling. Try to pay attention to "small sounds" - if recording a river try to slowly move the recorder on it, looking for subtle accents in what's heard. Use a lot of gain a no gain in order to comprehend it's use on a more intuitive level, since most of the time, you won't have time for detailed preparation. Stuff like that.
Read a book about sound, Cage's essays on silence are a nice first stepping stone to a more conceptual approach to recording. Also pay a some attention to other artists and people that work in the tv/radio scene. Nat Geo Wild features interesting ideas about recording sound for example.

as mentioned - get all you can from the external in/out options of your device. even cheap headphones, used on the spot as contact mic, could bring satisfying results if you know what you are doing.

btw, a phone isn't that useless even if it lacks features and quality. it's portability is a nice feature you should learn to value if you are on to it.

I checked Tascam's page and this guy is alright. It seems that all the filters are optional, so you can't just turn off the compression and low cut, it seems to be responsive on 20hz to 20khz, which is more than enough, but I think some one else is going to be the better judge of this. But with a price of 99.99 I can't think you can go wrong on this.
I think it's suitable for entry level recording for sure, and it's small size will be a great feature for sure.

Any recommendations for nature field recordings? Anything affordable?

virtually ANYTHING! remember that!
in the world of 320kbps, just a simple run on audacity could reshape a recording into something useful.
on top of that (imo) most portable recorders don't come even close with what big boy microphones and preamps could do. so just use your phone until you get a sense of craving for something else - by that time you'll know exactly what you need.

my zoom h2n is something I'll always recommend but it's a little outdated I guess.

I don't think this is true at all for the tascam dr-05. They specifically list 24-bit/96kHz music recording with

youtu.be/IpUN4FMsgcw
Apparently you were correct. Thank you.

yeah, don't forget to save and relisten to what you've recorded, with a critical ear.

It's when you record your music in a field. Typically corn or millet has the best acoustics