Why don't we play on old consoles? The indie game market is growing every day...

Why don't we play on old consoles? The indie game market is growing every day, why don't they make games for the older consoles?

Err... we do play on old consoles. People make homebrews for old consoles all the time.

because digital distribution is too easy and convenient to give up

Got myself a snes, n64 and a GameCube... I use them quite often...

Consoles stopped being good between PS2 and PS3, FACT. Old consoles a best girl.

They conveniently all use the same a/v cables too, though I use the Wii for playing GCN games.

I own the original Xbox and still play it

why do we centralize consumerism. I think that it takes away the flair of shopping and enjoying doing stuff outside.

Not just consoles, but games as well.

I know there is enough demand, but why don't they make old games anymore like. Why have they stopped developing or giving out developing kits. I know Nintendo is a legal copyright bitch but, licenties, why not make them public.

For instance what Microsoft did with Windows MS DOS Kernel...

Because it wouldn't be cost effective to support those old consoles and would siphon profit away from the new consoles. They want you to buy new games on new consoles.

But would't it be more like: slowing down development of new games so that they only can develop better games?

No.

If you look around there are the occasional fangames made and released on repro carts, the 8bit remake of FFVII can be bought off AliExpress for around $30 on an NES cart. There's also shitloads of pokemon romhacks that have made it onto shitty GB carts, but they work just fine. There's some group making a new Sega Genesis game too, can't remember the name atm though but it isn't the only one that's been done.

Is that a Chinese finger box?

why did we become so greedy as an society?

Multiple generations of unparalleled exponential growth

I have an n64 hooked up with majoras mask in it right now. Why don't they make games for older consoles? Newer consoles are capable of more things that people have come to expect from games. Honestly, the gamecube didn't really have the greatest games, it was the outcast of it's generation. Aside from melee and the zelda titles, it didn't have much else going for it that's worth going back to play again.

Also, you can play almost any old nintendo game on the wii u. Don't get me wrong, I love old consoles, but it doesn't make sense to produce games for them now.

Poor use of Carlos.

I could ask: are you old enough to be on this site, but it also be that you are just aged...

>Chinese finger box?
really?!

>Carlos
I don't have enough pictures, if you could link me a link to a lib of pics?

Literally playing through the original Spyro trilogy right now

Because modern consoles (Xbox, PS4, Switch) are the most popular in demand? Nowadays game devs re-release old games for modern consoles. I think Gamecube games were released for the Wii U?

Bought a PSP to use as a portable PS1. Hoping they remake Spyro the same way they remade Crash recently.

I have to disagree on the GameCube, tons of hidden gems on that baby. Ever played Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door? Awesome game. How about the installment of Fire Emblem released for GameCube? Hell, how about Super Mario Sunshine, or Mario Kart: Double Dash? DD is my personal favorite Mario Kart ever. Also, there was an attachment released called the "Game Boy Player" that hooks up to the GameCube and allows Game Boy and GBA games to be played on the GameCube. Battery dying? No problem!

The odds are pretty good. Crash reboot sold a lot better than most expected and the market seems right.

But I do!

Fzero, ssb, burnout, some rainbow six game

Yea, that's about when I lost interest. Only have like 3 games for my Xbox 360 but I've been playing Ecco the Dolphin on the regular recently.

Spyro was the shit!

What do you guys think of DLC, micro transactions and 50GB updates?

This is exactly why I play PC. For new games you must buy new consoles and for old games, on new consoles you can't use them. So you loss either way.

> Prob be cheaper get a good PC and not a new console all the time.

You can also get emulators to play old games like Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door

You're retarded. My 2600 is old.

Worth abandoning the modern medium over.

Well, there are many reasons, here are a few.

1: We've been lead to believe they're 'outdated'.
2: We've also been lead to believe that indie game console are useless, because we can't play online games with other people.

To your second question.

There is no money in making games for indie consoles anymore simply because it just isn't marketable. Nobody really wants to play indie anymore.

My opinion, if I had the money to continue making games for indie console, I really would.

If you have a decent pc you can play basically any of those games for free. Also there's no point in limiting your hardware that much. You could just make a game in the style of how they were in that consoles era.

Seen that game for $125.00 at a VGS. Bought it off my neighbour for $15 when I was in public school

If anyone's ever really tried to develop for an old console, you'd know it's extremely difficult. Porting modern games via SDK's with integrated API's that compile themselves is the way to go.

I still play all of my old consoles regularly.
Only difference is, I've switched to flash carts instead of the original carts for convenience and to save space.

I think it was the flood of cookie cutter, generic FPS games and basically infinite sequels to any game that was even remotely popular that eventually ruined the 360/PS3 generation, much like "remasters" and re releases have made the current gen kind of suck.

You can also play it on Wii U, via homebrew and CFWs.

Melee is the best smash game ever.

This. But I always return to classics.
I pretty much play all the consoles /vr/ discusses.
Genesis, ps1, ps2, n64, snes, etc. I probably emulate MAME the most frequently, but spend a shit load more time on home console games.

IT'S SPHERICAL

PS2 is too recent for /vr/.

Xbox One is a joke. I pity anyone who bought one as "remasters" and re releases are all they are going to get

I didnt know that, but I never go there for that discussion anyway. Guess GC and XBox are too new too.
I love games that came out from 1980-2005ish.

indie dev working on a line of new nes/famicom games as we speak. the biggest hurdle for me has been having to make my own devkit tools. modern games can be created using toolsets like unity/ue4/gm and those are great because they already have a lot of the nitty gritty deep level functions hard-coded into them, ready to just be called up when needed.

theres a LOT of hand-holding you need to write into old game console's code to make it work, and its limitations double the labor needed. That and I'm a real shitty programmer ;)

They're better than Sup Forums

Lurk moar newfag

No shit. I always make a arcade/MAME general there when I feel like it.
I havnt built my custom arcade cabinet yet, but I have an old lenovo waiting for it. I need speakers, a screen and a cab. The screen the thing stopping me from building it. Not sure what to get.