Do police officers require a college degree?

Do police officers require a college degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfoi_rates_2007h.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most are not that smart

no, I believe it's just a few weeks of training

Just out of curiosity is it even hard to become a cop? I heard the physical tests are easy for some people.

no. they go through pretty basic training and all of their skills from that point onward are learned on the job, which is why some police officers are amazing and some are shit, because they have to teach themselves the important things like the nuance of their position.

That's kind of bs

Depending on which department it can be 17 weeks to 24 weeks of academy then an additional 12-14 weeks of field training. You can also get paid a little bit more if you got a degree but that also depends on the department.

I don't know about require, but they go for Criminal Justice at the school I went to. Then academy.

Is being a cop as dangerous as they say?

Most larger cities do, as do most county departments for full time officers. Some require specific degrees such as criminal justice, others any appropriate degree will work - no liberal arts majors, for instance.
For smaller cities and towns as well as volunteer departments or deputies, it depends - if they don't then formal LEO training and/or past experience (military police, private government security contractor, etc) is usually required.

Depends on where your at, IL requires a college degree or a certain amount of Military service as an alternative.

I mean, it's not like mcdonald's level of training, but the point I was making is, it's not enough, really, to meet the bare minimum, I think, that we should hold our police officers to.

Like, fuck you if you have a mental disorder, the training on that section of the populace is not enough and sometimes, outright wrong

Yes and no - someplace like Detroit - hell yes.
Someplace like BFE, Montana. Generally no.

Uh duh. Welcome to earth. If you want good cop then your taxes will skyrocket and the 1% will find a cheaper place to be.
Economics is a bitch honey
Good thing we elected a Republican.

No just HS and police academy, also no criminal record.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Super wrong.

Spotted the law breaker.

Depends on the area definitely. Saw a story not even a year ago in Cleveland about two cops being shot to death just sitting in their squad car. Dude rolled up and just shot em both through the window

Are you fucking with us or are you genuinely retarded? Wtf do you think a cop is?

A lot of larger agencies will. Mine provies an 10% increase in base by and with overtime you can make pretty good money.

You can be too smart to be a cop. That's fucking sad.

abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

All wrong

Yes you are.

I was googling police education and I somehow found this image of a fat elementary school officer. Are officers allowed to get this obese?

This is what my professor told me since he retired from being an active duty police officer about a year ago.
Yes you do need a BA in Criminal Justice (and maybe a minor in Law Enforcement?) along with 30 to 60 credits. However there will be times when they need a certain amount of officers that fit a certain race that's when they allow people with an associate's degree or even lower to sign up for the police force.

becoming a cop is much like the process in Tim Allen's the Santa Clause. All you have to do is kill one, don his weapons and uniform, and voila, you are now a cop

He's undercover as an American

nice trips but what the fuck are you talking about you can be a cop in many cities/towns both small and large without any sort of degree.

I'm surprised they require a hs degree, 9/10 cops are dangerous idiots so it makes me wonder how they made it

That's actually a woman

no because they are under no legal obligation to answer to emergencies

i have not read anything more absurd

Undercover as a feminist?

spotted the piggy, give us a squeal porky

25 year veteran here, I can confirm this is legit

the fact you are incapable of telling that that's a joke is what's absurd

how is that absurd? it's not like you're killing a person or anything

If that's true then that rule is fucking retarted

So true

it is, Supreme Court ruled in june of 2005 that police have no legal duty to protect people, it's the only occupation in america (afaik) where you get paid first and aren't required to refund when you don't do your job

Yes and no.

It depends on the department. Some require it, some don't. Where I'm from, even the ones that "don't require it" ... well, it's sort of unspoken that it's required. Either that or 4 years military service. There are so many guys with 4 yr military or bachelors degrees that you'd need to be a real shining star to compete against them. Most departments are moving toward requiring a bachelors.

Where I'm from, Academy is 3-4 months. After that, you're on probation for a year or longer learning the job. It's definitely not "a few weeks".

Varies person to person. It's pretty hard to become a cop, IMO. The physical standards aren't too bad, but are way above what most average americans can accomplish, fitness wise. The hard part is the interview process, testing, background check, etc. Be prepared to sit in a room with 5 high ranking cops staring you down 2ft in front of your face while they pose long winded, hard to remember questions about field protocol and situational awareness in an interrogating manner. It's not as easy as you'd think. It's nothing like a regular job interview.

Yes. Literally every interaction, call, or traffic stop you make can end with a gun in your fucking face and it happens a lot more than people think, and often for the stupidest shit. Like stopping to just talk to someone, then they pull a gun or pop shots at you. When in reality if they just said "Sorry officer, didn't see anything" you'd just be like "aight cya later" but instead they get arrested and fucked up.

Investigators and Detectives aren't the same as officers.

Pretty dangerous. Here is a table from 2014 of the most dangerous jobs.

bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfoi_rates_2007h.pdf

Its moderately dangerous. Logging and fishing are more dangerous. So is construction work and transportation work like trucking.

The thing is, while it may be less dangerous than other jobs, you are still dealing with the scum of society on a daily basis and you need a strong mind for that.

I can understand why cops become corrupt sometimes and some kill people in situations where they shouldnt. In the span of a month they have dealt with more dangerous pieces of shit than you will meet in your life.

>When in reality if they just said "Sorry officer, didn't see anything" you'd just be like "aight cya later" but instead they get arrested and fucked up.
yeah because cops are always friendly and never domineering assholes who can't take no for an answer
>be me
>cop stops me to ask a question
>do know anything about x, y or z?
>nope
>start to walk away
>WHOA WHOA WHOA LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS!
>cop puts his hand on his gun
>reach for the sky
>i just want to ask you some questions
>say nothing the entire time
>get detained
>charged with bullshit
>none of it sticks
>asshole cop takes away hours of my time because i didn't know shit about what happened

I was robbed/carjacked at gunpoint by a black 16 year old and 2 18 year old Samoans in April. The cops were there in about one minute and chased the guys down. Caught one, were insanely nice to me and accommodating. Went down to the office to pick out guys from a photo lineup. Pretty cool. One of the cops told me if he had seen it happen he would have put a bullet in the guys head. He also told me as long as I didnt leave the situation I would be legally able to kill all 3 of those guys, even if they had their backs turned. He said because the county we live in is so liberal the kid will hardly get any time and will be made out to be a victim. I think he got two years in juvie, but thats not confirmed.

that's fucked

if you live in the country not really but in the city you'll have nigger try to kill you

whats fucked about it?

The robbery itself or what the cops said about shooting the robbers?

most cops don't deal with potentially dangerous situations on the reg unless they are in bad parts of the city, there are plenty of jobs that are far more dangerous including construction, mining and trucking

not that user but both, due process is their for a reason

I feel like telling the story even though this thread will probably die.

I was walking into petco to buy dog food at 10:30am during the middle of the week. I get out of my car (which is brand new like a week old with dealer plates) and start walking into the store.
I see three people walking towards me but I have my head down so I can only see their feet.
They stop right in front of me and i look up and this kid pulls out a pistol and points it about 5 inches away from my face.
He says gimmie your wallet keys phone everything give it to me. I give it to him and the 3 guys get in my car. I run into petco yelling I was robbed at gunpoint and everyone freaks out. I was afraid I might get shot in the back when I was running away.
Cont

I have no problem with due process, but I don't have much sympathy for the people that robbed me because I could have easily been killed, even if he didnt intend to kill me he could have easily pulled the trigger on accident. I'm actually glad I wasnt armed because who knows what could have happened if there was a shoot out.

No

most criminals back off when they find out someone is armed because (believe it or not) they don't like getting shot and there are always easier targets

anyways, continuing.

I watched the 3 guys sit in my car for around 2 minutes, finally they all got out and ran away leaving my keys and wallet in the car and some of my checks. They stole $300 out of my wallet and my iphone.
They didnt know how to start the car because its a push button start and there is no slot to put the key. They were young too and idiots.
They ran into a nearby store and changed clothes and then got caught. And thats the story.

It fucked me up pretty bad for a couple months. I was also super scared of retaliation because they were in a gang that openly brags about shooting people on FB.

Cops are like any other profession: there is good, bad, and ugly.

Your demeanor plays a role in it too. If you're acting weird (even if its just cuz you dont like cops) then a cop will automatically find you more suspicious. It's kind of a vicious cycle.

Hell no. They want them dumb and obedient. It's best they don't question orders.

oh wow 6 months of training really makes you competent you're right. I'm an engineer but I think most cops are far too stupid to have such authority.

i smell bacon and greese its the Sup Forums police

wouldn't they just freak out and shoot anyway once you take out your own gun though, just from shock and not knowing if you're just threatening them off or intended to open fire immediately?

i mean if they know ahead of time somehow i can see them saying fuck it, but i can't imagine its a deterrent if they've already started the assault before knowing?

newfags like you need to learn to green text their shit

in China yes, but not to be a doctor

It depends on the state, though more and more of them are requiring the equivalent of a 2 year college degree, though much of that course work will be based on law enforcement related topics.

PS, even though many departments are moving to use body cameras, the exam will still require you to do things like examine images for a few seconds, and then answer questions based on them, as accurate recalling of an event and scene are important when on the stand. If you give incorrect information, the defense can motion to dismiss due to incompetence.

>I know how to green text and im not a newfag.

the difference is that cops are armed and use it as leverage instead of self protection, a construction worker can get uppity but that doesn't threaten my life, a grocery bagger can give me a dirty look but i can just ignore it. also i answered his question and started walking away, i didn't give him a tone a look or anything that can possibly be taken as threatening.
also that's not the only time i have either seen or been a part of wild misuse of power on a cops part.
for example a drunk cop t boned my buddy while he was on his bike killing him instantly, he got payed probation.
i saw a women get hog tied because she told a cop not to yank her 7yo around by the arm
and then there's a buddy of mine who when he was 9 his dad had a guy rent out a spare room and he came home extremely drunk, so he called the cops to see if they can't pick him up and have him dry out in the drunk tank or something. they asked if there were guns in the house and he told them he had a singleshot break action locked up in a gun cabinet. apparently in the mind of a cop that's enough reason to break down the front door guns drawn and one of them pointed his gun at my 9yo buddies head and started screaming "WHAT IS THIS?" while pointing at his soaked pants, he stepped through the iced over fish pond in front of the porch.
positions of power attract a certain type of person

I wanted to also add, that if you are considering becoming a police officer in order to fight crime, you will be disappointed, as dealing with actual crime will be rare. 98% of your time will be spent going after victimless crimes, giving tickets, and doing other tasks that will only serve to turn the community against you. Modern police departments simply have no interest in violent or victim based crimes as they typically lead to no additional revenue for the department or city.

all you usually have to do is state loudly and clearly that you are armed and show them your holstered gun

source: worked 6/6 times so far

It's common for departments to recommend at least having an associates degree

requires all D's in highschool

In this age even a fucking janitor requires a college degree with work towards a masters in a waste disposal related field, 3 years exp preferred. Or be mexican.

this.

My last job that could potentially harm or kill someone, it took me three years of training, yearly evaluations, drug tests, and a fuckload of general knowledge, like server maintenance, telecommunications, some basic engineering, all so I didn't blow shit up.

Your six months doesn't impress me one bit, especially when you're walking into unknown situations, and wielding guns. Storming the wrong house or shooting the wrong person should automatically put you into citizen mode, and pay your own law bills, and do the time anyone else would do if you fuck up. .

I live in Chile, here police officers are "Public Security Administrators" which is a degree you get after 4 years of Academy, you can then get a major or study something else while you work.

In Norway you need 3 years, one of them being a year in the field.

We dont even have the savage working conditions some of the US cities have..

Not to mention there are very strict psychological entry tests and requirements yo even get accepted.. No matter if you are planning on being a small town cop or "big" norwegian city cop..

definitely think yearly psych evaluations should be a requirement, as well as body cams, police misconduct insurance and all squad cars should be pink, preferably hot pink, for visibility purposes...

Also our police is a National Police, so you can get deployed anywhere inside the country or even outside with some UN peace missions and stuff

In Chicago you do.

there go my sides

I'd actually be interested to see the cop-per-person comparison between the States and Norway or Scandinavia or any other country/region for that matter.

I wonder if the US has to hire more cops due to a higher crime rate/population ratio, or if its generally the same amount of cops per person regardless.
I've always just assumed part of the requirement for cops not being that tough in the states as in other countries was just due to "we need more fucking people man, can't be so picky"

My father used to be a cop when Pinochet was around, the Police State actually worked, crime was a lot less than now

imperialist i see .

your father is a Faggot and the apple dosent fall far .

found a picture of your dad , Faggot

In Greece you gotta join the academy ( 4 years ) and ace the final exams (17/20 in every course at least . Then you get brainwashed and turned to a fascist most of the times .

Pic related .

It is indeed interesting when you see that list.

Norway, the states and many countries have about 2-300 cops pr citizen

So its fairly similar, which leads me to believe the requirements are much lower in the US.

Very interested in hearing from a US cop about the requirements

highschool diploma, and up to a few months of academy and light physical training, it's honestly a cake walk

City of Santa Monica, CA starts at:

Educational incentives- 6% of base salary for A.A. or A.S. Degree or possession of Intermediate POST Certificate, 12.8% of base salary for B.A. or B.S. Degree or possession of Advanced POST Certificate

Patrol cops need to pass an entrance exam and go through PT. If you want to get somewhere above nigger runs like in detective or administrative, you definitely need to build tenure or have some type of degree. So yes and no.