It's 2017 and Mac OS still can't merge folders properly

It's 2017 and Mac OS still can't merge folders properly.

Ask someone who's using a Mac for the first time in 20 years anything.

fuck off nerd, no one cares

daaamn you told him!

cp ~/test fag/test.new

ok now try and install something

now try to restart finder

now right click

im not exactly sure if windows can do this either

also, mac has time machine so you can recover your "deleted" files

On a scale of 1-10, how many cocks have you sucked?

Merge two folders with the same name. If you have two folders with identical names at two different locations, you can merge them into a single folder. Hold down the Option key, then drag one folder to the location that contains a folder with the same name. In the dialog that appears, click Merge.

>ok now try and install something
I've only installed off .dmgs so far, but except for the fact that they randomly vary between "copy me to Applications" and "run me to install" it hasn't actually been too bad.

>now try to restart finder
Compared to when I was last using System 7.6 on early PowerMacs, it's been a much more stable experience. So far.

>now right click
Yeah, that takes a bit of getting used to, but I'll grudgingly admit I'm impressed with the trackpad's gesture recognition. Only thing I've struggled with is the short window of time you have to start dragging an icon after you click it.

Windows 7 and up at least do the Right Thing - ask if you want to merge folder contents, then let you choose whether to skip or replace existing files.

great fuck OP, that image you posted is from *the same article* that explans how to do it you gigantic cock gobbling retard

you can set your trackpad to recognize 3 fingers as drag and drop, works fine. you only move one finger while holding the other two down

I'd say 0, but I did just spend a chunk of money on a Macbook so that makes it at least 1.

Yeah I've read that, but from what people say and what I try it's still not that smart and will fall back to the old "stop or replace" behaviour under a lot of circumstances.

Except for all the caveats that same article mentions

>Perhaps the Merge option is so well hidden because it doesn’t work very well. It’s kind of embarrassing.

so why not install Gentoo?

why do you use an inferior OS

why would you do this to yourself?

I'm actually a Linux fag from way back, and I wouldn't run anything else on the server or desktop. But my time is too valuable to me these days to fuck around fine-tuning Linux on laptop hardware, hence the Macbook.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind

See . Windows sucks balls if you do most of your work at the command line, even with bash in 10, and while I could sort out all my Linux laptop annoyances given enough time and googling I really have better things to do with my working day.

yo I tried to use bash on 10 to do sims, worked great right up until it tried to draw a graph

had to install python for powershell just to draw a picture

You're on an old version of the OS....
Also the merge button only appears SOMETIMES for some reason :/

Yeah, when you have to work that hard to make Windows behave like Unix, it's time to ask the obvious question

Wouldn't you be able to do this better and faster through the terminal? You say you're a recovering linux addict, but I don't see you taking advantage of the unix syntax. You could use ditto.

ditto "directory1" "directory2"

Yeah, that's pretty much what I ended up doing:

rsync -turv directory1/ directory2/

I've been trying to get OS X to install on my friends mac using Transmac on my Windows 10 PC to create bootable USB's for El Capitan, Yosemite, Mountain Lion, and each of them fail upon attempted to boot and install them. Mac is the biggest piece of shit.

>using a Mac for the first time in 20 years
You have to go back

Back in my day...

>the only winning move is not to play

I have to say the out-of-the-box experience on brand new hardware was pretty sweet, but yeah I'd hate to try to do anything with it that the High Church of Apple hadn't blessed.

That's just the nature of the platform I guess, pic related.

holy shit I actually have a free kevin sticker
2600 magazine still on my shelf

I fucking know.
I gave up on waiting for Apple to do the obvious basic shit they needed to do ages ago.

...and that's just the fucking way they wanted it to go, apparently. Fix the Fucking Finder was a movement that came and went, and goddamn it if Apple didn't utterly ignore everything, and threw their entire ui design language out the fucking window to out-google google for shitty design.

Don't even get me fucking started. yet still, for as much as Apple makes me burn with fucking rage all day, I work on 4 systems each and every day, and the only one I actually enjoy, is the one that makes me the maddest. Fuck an aye apple.

you fucking dope
open the folder, command+a, drag to other folder

But user,

how would you like to play a nice game of chess?

Err, subfolders?

That's exactly it - I find Apple's arrogance galling even for the IT industry (and that's saying a lot), which is why for so long I refused to give them my money.

But dammit, when I think through what I actually use a laptop for, they really do offer the best compromise.