ITT: Albums that garnered critical acclaim yet still feel underrated

>ITT: Albums that garnered critical acclaim yet still feel underrated
every stupid ass second-wave indie rock album from 1995-2002 that received perfect scores across the board from (((critics))) but no one aside from 40 year old brooklyn residents listens to

If only her career didn't crash and burn after this. Pretty good pop rock album.

The problem with Exile in Guyville is that it's missing something that's hard to pinpoint. It may have something to do with how bloodless her tone is across every song. It occasionally whips into something resembling a frenzy on Never Said or Flower, but by and large her breathless assault of disaffected musings eventually wear on you.

YES. Yello in general are insanely underrated.

I think this weird shit happened where people started feeling badly about liking it after it won the Grammy and its songs started playing on Muzak. Not the first time it's happened and won't be the last.

I actually loved the follow up. Its just everything after was pretty boring.

plz don't bully gaga i unironically enjoy this album

>gaga
She is critically underrated. Lady GaGa picks up a lot of [...] but despite it [...] re-appraisal one day

you know i never noticed that there was a pipe on this cover and a medicine bottle with pot in it

Poltards actually can't work out what underrated means

I get you OP. I first listened to this album in 9th or 10th grade (after discovering P4K and ploughing through all of the albums on their best-of-decade lists), and I thought it was pretty catchy but otherwise unremarkable. It wasn't until my junior year of college that I returned to this album, and it just fucking clicked. Every song felt like it was written for me, like Liz was just jamming in the room and said, "Hey, check this out, you might like it." I still get shivers down my spine when I play "Shatter."

A few of my friends felt the same way, but the vast majority of them (almost all of whom shared similar tastes or at least an appreciation for the same music) had the same reaction as high school me. Broaden the scope from my personal experience to modern retrospective journalism, this album is appreciated but still somewhat sidelined. Is it because Liz Phair became uncool VH1 rock a decade after Guyville? Is it because it's more hip to gush over Spiderland and Laughing Stock? (I love both of those records, by the way.) I don't have a clue. But despite its "classic" status, I feel like it's an album that's still brushed into the margins when it deserves more than that.

>Is it because Liz Phair became uncool VH1 rock a decade after Guyville? Is it because it's more hip to gush over Spiderland and Laughing Stock?

The eponymous Liz Phair album happened, which destroyed her reputation.

Mission of Burma- signals calls and marches
Hüsker Dü - candy apple grey and zen arcade

Drop nineteens- Delaware

just say you dont like it faggot

probably my favorite indie rock record of all time

I think it's like a 9/10 album. If you read what I said and only took away that I didn't like it, you should ask for a refund on your brain.

Are you counting sonic youth- sonic nurse in that running?

I kinda agree with Pitchfork when they say that what made Liz good was that she was never truly able to fully write a pop song. Her DYI aesthetic and sloppiness in playing gave her music an amazing, distinct charm that made her first records so good.

Once Liz Phair (the album) happened, she was just another female artist writing bland pop songs that were sickening to an extreme.

He has songs that aren't Simply Irresistible and Addicted to Love?

Section.80 is good, but Kenny's other stuff is way better. I even thought DAMN. was better than that.

>Once Liz Phair (the album) happened, she was just another female artist writing bland pop songs that were sickening to an extreme.

>be late 30s single mom
>suddenly decide she wants to be 17 again and hires Avril Lavigne's producers

Can you get any more of a soulless cash grab than that?

>every stupid ass second-wave indie rock album from 1995-2002 that received perfect scores across the board from (((critics)))

I know what you mean. Christgau gave As to like every last stupid indie album that came out back then even though most of them are treated as jokes now.

Half these critics were so so desperate to prove their hipster cred and pretend like they don't enjoy buttrock.

I think a lot of christgau's reviews hold up better than many others. It never feels like he is effected by current trends.

^^^ This was me and I meant whitechocolatespaceegg not the actual follow up, whip smart. I totally forgot that even happened.

It's all Warner Brothers' fault.
At least P4K got it right.
;-;

One of my favorite electronic albums of all time.