Ok i swallowed the bite. what's the purpose of this cunt?

ok i swallowed the bite. what's the purpose of this cunt?

The conductor?

He keeps time, keeps everybody together, and leads the whole thing.

Without a conductor, the instruments would fall out of sync and you wouldn't get the chorus effect of the instruments, especially the string sections where it's vital.

are you fucking kidding me? all he does is wave his wand in the rhythm of the song

literally anyone could do that. how the fuck do i land his job?

he often doesn't keep time, everyone already should be practiced enough to keep it, he's usually a few beats ahead, acting out how he wants upcoming parts to be played, giving reminders to sections/soloists

Ties together the soloist and the orchestra.

the conductor is usually who has practiced/directed the group in the playing of the piece, and a lot can be changed stylistically depending on the conductor, everyone has a different largo, fortissimo, etc.

If literally anyone could do it then go and do it ya cunt

Yes, you're right, but a conductor still has to "keep time", as in put in the performance of it. And he's there in case the timing does get out of wack.

i'm not a jew therefore i can't get this (((job)))

I understand a conductor keeps time and instructs the musicians, but isn't that the point of practicing together? Why don't bands (drummer, bassist, guitarist, keyboardists, etc) need a conductor to stay in time?

Most bands don't have 100 members, and most pop music has a steady drum beat to follow and doesn't change tempo much. And honestly most of a conductor's work is done in rehearsals like said and letting him stand up there and flap his arms is kind of a reward for leading the orchestra.

There's a LOT of musicians in an orchestra, each one of them has to play each of their notes precisely at the exact moment they're supposed to, at the right volume, intensity and rhythm. And classical music compositions are usually pretty long. In live rock performances sometimes mistakes are acceptable and in jazz they can quickly improvise to fix the mistake (rock can do that too), but classical music is more strict. One minor mistake could fuck up the whole thing. A conductor is there to guide the orchestra so it all works out well. With his hands and wand he gives reminders and indications on when and how the musicians have to play.
It seems like an easy job but it's not.

Because an average orchestra has about 100 different people.

Also the conductor intimately knows the music, and is usually a proficient multi-instrumentalist as well.

an orchestra is like 10 bands, and symphonies are generally more complicated pieces to play, with autistic detail oriented listeners

>literally anyone could do that.

No, he tells each section when it is their time to start.

Conductor's probably one of the least Jewish classical music jobs besides classical singer.

orchestra musician here
because there's a beat. If you have 4 people playing rhythmic instruments with little to no time changes, shits easy. When you have 50+people playing music with rhythm that ebbs and flows constantly, it's near impossible to get through more than a few minutes without him.

to some extent, the conductor is also the creative director of the orchestra. It's his decision on what happens

What do you play?

He/She does more than just keep time. Conductors need to know the piece well and look out for dynamics and intonation in the orchestra. Obviously, he will decide how loud/soft each section should play so they all blend, how each player should articulate so staccatos (short notes) are together, and legatos (smooth notes) don't sound like mush. Trust me, in my chamber music days, getting players to play short notes together perfectly is hell, imagine 100 players.
Intonation is also critical. Each player can probably work out if they're off within their section, but you need a conductor so that the orchestra is in pitch. I guess tuners will work too, but there's no alternative for a well-practiced ear.

so many non-band nerds in here... but so many have said it already too.
yes, he's important. it's very hard to hear what other sections are doing when you're on stage on a legitimately acoustically designed stage. he just helps the different sections keep together accordingly and control the pacing.

violin. i'm in college but I'm pursuing engineering instead because a lifetime of nothing but that would kill me

At this point he could be serious for all we know. What has this board become?