What is the consensus on Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas?

What is the consensus on Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uOmtVFQ3WF8
youtube.com/watch?v=E6v9Nn7FbGk
youtube.com/watch?v=zod6cpl34h8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's super weird and funny as shit in places. I love it.

i could watch this over and over. seen it like at least 20 times

Good film, not something to watch too in depth. Interesting camera work, excellent acting

this movie was the one who made me love Mexican leonardo dicaprio

Kino but its fanbase is kind of shit. The only problem I have with it is the main plot isn't conveyed that well. The book makes what is going on much clearer

tfw have a better chance of dying in the next 10 years than trying LSD :C

I've watched it 4 days in a row

Never seen this but it seems like a really comfy summer feel good flick. Is it worth it?

best set design ever

and the drug sequences are surprisingly accurate

Except seeing reptiles and tits on his friends back. Drug hallucinations aren't that complex and lifelike

Yes, it's very entertaining

DRUGS LMAO
Filthy degenerates

>accurate drug sequences

Nah

Movie is great, book is a million times better. Hunter S. Thompson was an amazing, terrifying man.

DUDE DRUGS LMAO

hunter s thompson is a faggot and fraud

literally everything he talks about was made up

The way the carpet moves in this scene is the most accurate LSD hallucination i've ever seen in a movie.
Yeah that stuff isn't realistic at all. The book never says they turn into lizards or anything either.

forgot

youtu.be/uOmtVFQ3WF8

You really think he didn't get zonked and check into hotels then leave without paying? You really think his Mexican friend didn't threaten some waitress with a knife?

I've tried to watch it about 4 times now (by chance mostly, just when it's on) and never made it more than 45 minutes in.

I also couldn't quite finish Brazil. Something about Gilliam drives me insane, his films bother me on a deeply personal level

I liked it but the book was a lot better
But i think Depp captured how fucking paranoid and batshit crazy hunter s thompson was

>literally everything he talks about was made up
That was his whole method that he got famous for you god damn retard. He used fiction to reveal a kind of truth.

>Gonzo journalism involves an approach to accuracy that concerns the reporting of personal experiences and emotions, in contrast to traditional journalism, which favors a detached style and relies on facts or quotations that can be verified by third parties. Gonzo journalism disregards the strictly-edited product favored by newspaper media and strives for a more personal approach; the personality of a piece is as important as the event the piece is on. Use of sarcasm, humor, exaggeration, and profanity is common.

Brazil was more intense yeah. Fucking hell that movie was really intense.

>you will never go to Las Vegas with your homie and do hella drugs and trash hotel rooms

His whole "wave speech" in that book is one of the best things ever written, and even though I never lived through it, probably best encapsulates that piece of American history

It's good as long as you don't think about it too hard. Come to think of it, life is the same way.

What a stupid post

Used to love it. Now it makes me sad becuase Johnny Depp became such a fucking hack.

But I still love Hunter S Thompson tho

I heard that you need to have had drugs in order to understand this movie.

Seeing as I've hardly done drugs I can never understand this movie until I decide to do drugs.

Which will be never because my job regularly does random drug tests.

DUDE WEED LMAO

Same fambalam. Just watched it again like a month ago, it still holds up!

No.

That shit is truly amazing.

Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

I miss Christina Ricci.

Why did she have to cut her boobs & face up?

>when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket

>tfw you could never do this today because you'd probably get arrested for drunk driving or just stuck in traffic on the bridge

>I also couldn't quite finish Brazil
The scene with those 4 old bitches at the table is where i stopped. I really need to finish it but that part pissed me off

>The book never says they turn into lizards or anything either.
That scene is very much in the book.

The best part in the book where they ask some guy if he knows where The American Dream is and he says (Paraphrasing) "The American Dream? That place burned down years ago!"

>mfw someone near me didn't like Fear and Loathing

Fucking beautiful.

Can't remember if they quote this exactly in the movie but it's definitely the best scene in it too.

Pretty much word for word what's posted, though whether that's from the book or the script, I couldn't say, having not read the book in a very long time.

I loved reading about how the film triggered an acid flashback (presumably) in Hunter S

> The filmmaker said that it was important to him that Thompson like the film and recalls the writer's reaction at a screening, "Hunter watched it for the first time at the premiere and he was making all this fucking noise! Apparently it all came flooding back to him, he was reliving the whole trip! He was yelling out and jumping on his seat like it was a roller coaster, ducking and diving, shouting 'SHIT! LOOK OUT! GODDAMN BATS!' That was fantastic – if he thought we'd captured it, then we must have done it!"

Amazing, better than any critic's validation ever could be.

It's the closest we'll ever get to a Transmetropolitan movie.

>pretentious attention whore acts like a pretentious attention whore
#wow #whoa

Agreed. It seems like every time I watch it there's a whole section of the movie that I don't remember ever seeing before.

I'm a huge HST fan and he admitted that most of the book is a huge exaggeration of him and Gonzo just getting really drunk. I think he said that if he saw someone acting the way "Duke" does in the book he'd throw a chair at him.

As a serious enthusiast of Thompson's writing, I have to say that the film was an excellent adaptation of the book. Off the top of my head, the only other movie I've seen that stays as true to the source material and perfectly captures the tone is 1984.

If you've not read anything by HST, the movie would still probably come off as a solid road trip/wacky misadventure flick. It's not necessary to have used hallucinogens or gone on wild benders to appreciate this film, but experience in those fields will make it more enjoyable.

If you're so vehemently opposed to drug use that you unironically say things like "DUDE WEED LMAO," then you should probably avoid this film and wait for autismo jack-off crap like The Accountant to be released so you can "relate" to the edgy retard super-assassin you pretend to be when you sneak around the basement shooting your dolls with an airsoft gun while mommy is out getting you chicken tendies.

One of Gilliam's best efforts, top-notch acting by the leads and supporting cast alike, solid photography/sound/set direction, and editing that accurately portrays the jarring and confusing atmosphere of the book.

9/10, own it on DVD, watch it maybe once a year.

but have you ever done extrat of pentazone?

well it only encapsulates one oart of the world the hippes for everyone else that peice of history was differant

I love this movie, and as someone who has done a lot of drugs and rubbed shoulders with several different drug cultures, from old school hippies to hardcore pipe hitting ghetto rejects, dealers and users, pimps and pushers, it really captures some of the unique things you can see and feel if you choose to live that life.

Also a god damned shame, when I watched this again earlier last year I got curious about what the white car was that they get halfway through the movie. Turns out that very fucking car went up for public sale, in completely beat to shit condition, left as it was when the movie wrapped.

Think it sold for a couple grand. I would have loved to own that fucking car. Also, on the topic of cars, the red one depp rides in the movie, "The Shark", was HSTs actual personal joyride, he loaned it to Depp for the movie.

For any of you that like this movie and want more HST, Bill Murray portrayed him in what was a little bit more of a realistic approach to HST lore in a movie called "Where the Buffalo Roam", fucking GREAT god damned movie.

>watch Fear and Loathing with my sister for the first time
>it ends and I say how much I liked it
>as the credits are rolling my vision starts to get fuzzy like I'm getting a migraine
>suddenly have visual snow
>it never goes away even 7 years later
it kind of soured my opinion of it

Rojas!?

>If you're so vehemently opposed to drug use that you unironically say things like "DUDE WEED LMAO," then you should probably avoid this film and wait for autismo jack-off crap like The Accountant to be released so you can "relate" to the edgy retard super-assassin you pretend to be when you sneak around the basement shooting your dolls with an airsoft gun while mommy is out getting you chicken tendies.

Essential Fedora-core

Still gotta wonder if Hunter really did run into Nixon in a restroom and scared the fuck out of him. Some say it never happened, others say it did.

on the surface level it seems to be about drugs but that isn't really the point

just watch the movie

>PLEASE! Tell me about the fucking golf shoes.

Only time i watched it I was stoned as fuck and I refuse to watch it again unless I'm equally stoned

I don't think i'd enjoy it as much/understand it as well sober

Agree.

i still believe that in my lifetime there's about a 20 percent chance Transmetropolitan will be adapted at some point. animated series on netflix even fuck it anything

I hope so. Imagine it + a proper animated Dredd series side by side. I don't think I could handle that; even the idea of it makes me feel a little excited.
Even if it did well I'm sure they'd shut both down. Producers don't seem to like anything with too much descent against people like them.

goat LSD sequence....youtube.com/watch?v=E6v9Nn7FbGk

Transmetropolitan would be too on those nose right now with the election lol, but also i think special effects need to get cheap enough to where they could make The City convincing without breaking the bank.

I mean Preacher seems to be doing well, and they're adapting The Boys so if they're looking for independent comics to adapt it's fucking right in front of them

i cant think about this too much or i get excited

It seems unlikely. HST was known to embellish a lot and sometimes make up stuff that didn't happen for a good story. I'm sure he would have loved to say it happened though. He always considered the two of them natural enemies.

ONE TOKE

perfect description

bretty good

youtube.com/watch?v=zod6cpl34h8

I haven't read it in a while but from what I remember he only compares the people to reptiles or calls it a reptile zoo. The lizard people thing was from Steadman's illustration

most idiotic post i've read in awhile. who cares about a movie's fanbase? i bet you care about rotten tomatoes ratings too

i always notice something new whenever i watch.

however the 30th or so time watching this, i took some particularly strong "derivative of LSD" and im not sure if it was just me, but i began to notice some satanic overtones.

>las vegas
>the desert
>the guy on the phone talking about adrenochrome
>the lizards in the bar
>the war footage on the TV
>the dust devils on bikes
>circus circus resembling some nightmare
>Thompsons descent into Gonzo's hell
>the grey return of capitalism sneaking in on early hours
> the escape from vegas and subsequent cop chase
>innocent christina ricci being seduced by a devilish-gonzo
>the police and drug convention
>adrenochrome
>the fact this is going on in the 70's and LSD use, jim jones is plotting jonestown, and the church of satan is founded only couple years earlier in 1966

there is many a quote in this movie that can be utilized in everyday speech. sometime i will take a "derivative of LSD" again and watch this film again. perhaps see if i feel the same way or not.

Never seen this. Is it better to be high and watch this? I need something to do tomorrow.

all movies are better when you're high

the irony in this post

That's awesome.

no

i care about a fanbase when i hear people discussing this movie and all they talk about is the drug use

yes

You should go outside instead. While sober.

so what? people can talk about whatever they want you bitchboy

This
Where the hell am I supposed to find lsd in this godforsaken country?

it's devoid of anything interesting

youre right they can. sorry if i dont like when people only identify themselves simply by the drugs they use. thats kind of one of the themes of the book, but obviously i wont go into it with you. #420blazeitfaggot

He gets into a bit more vivid detail than that. It's kind of abstract and up to the imagination as per what he actually saw, but the scene is definitely there.

you'll never be groovy or hip

Bar I go to has "cult" movies on their tvs most of the day. Twice I've gone in and Fear and Loathing has been on. I wish I knew when they'd be playing it next as sitting on a bar stool and watching Fear and Loathing is a really pleasant experience.

Not a movie designed for repeated viewings.

In Truth and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72, IIRC in one chapter he rides in his limousine. Also unlikely.

Maybe you just didn't like it.

NOTHING happens but its actually fun: the movie

Religion is poisoning your mind, you lunatic.

>derivative

Was it LSA? I tried to get that high once, cleaned and ate like 100 morning glory seeds, still got poisoned. Luckily I seem to have an iron constitution, I just fought through the sickness and was fine. Ive had LSD and liked it, except the ONE TIME I mixed it with extacy, was riding the wave of LSD, found the X in my kit and just ate a pill like it was nothing.

Cue around 13 hours of me freaking the fuck out, holding a phone with "91...." dialed on it. I spent the whole time convincing myself that I wasnt actually in any danger and how much of a bitch it would be to call the ER and get the ambulances involved and how cold it was outside (it was middle winter). Dont blame the drugs, more blame myself for not having control at the time.

To this day I am still looking for a good cid connect, also shrooms. Bitch is im 32 and have to deal with people around 17 or so to get any of the good shit around here....

I just noticed how absolutely perfect the broken, unlit cigarette is

I remember one time I was tripping and saying "man I should really smoke this" like 15 times before actually smoking it

buy it online faggot

nigger please.

At least if you get burned IRL, you can go find the fucker who did it and toss a fucking bomb in his place.

No retribution for online purchases.

so many times i'll be tripping and i'll smoke a cigarette just because it was something funky to do, rather than actually wanting a ciggy. Happened loads of times when I'm tripping and smoking doobs with my mates as well, just compulsively smoking a joint even though there's no point in getting any more stoned.

I've taken LSA and LSD, take LSA extracted from Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds.

Don't eat the seeds directly or else you'll have a bad trip. I had a really really bad trip on 300ug of LSD so I always tell people to stay away from it.