/nmhg/ - Neutral Milk Hotel General

Starting up a new thread. Depending on my much traction this gets, I might make it a daily thing.

-----
This thread is for the discussion of Jeff Mangum, Neutral Milk Hotel, and other E6 bands and musicians. Please try and keep the conversations civil and remember that a different opinion is not a wrong opinion.
Some questions:
>What NMH demo is your favorite?
>What do you think is the best track on ITAOTS? The worst? Overrated? Underrated?
>Where did you first hear about them?
>Is your opinion of them now different than it was back then?
>What are your hopes for LP3?
>How will you react when it drops?

Feel free to post any "rare Jeffs" or another hidden gems that the others might not know about.

---
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea 33 1/3 by Kim Cooper: mega.nz/#!NB4S1YrK!--l7am6I4TDSpYxnPnuxNhjfmLHw2hV5GPG4HjkpPhg

The Mangum Box: Compiled by user. Includes:
Demos:
-Beauty (as Milk)
-Invent Yourself A Shortcake
-Beauty
-Hype City Soundtrack
-Unreleased Demo #1
-Shannon Monroe House Demos (whats been released)
-Unreleased Demo #2

Albums, EPs, and Singles
-Everything Is
-On Avery Island
-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
-Holland, 1945
-Ferris Wheel on Fire
-You've Passed/Where You'll Find Me Now
-Little Birds

Live Performances:
-Accordion Peas
-Aquarius Record Show
-Live At Jittery Joe's
-Live At The Side Door
-Live From San Francisco

Extras:
-Miscellaneous Mangum (Jeff's singles, collabs, covers, and a few live performances)
-In the Aeroplane Under the Sea (ITAOTS@8kbps)
-Orange Twin Field Works: Volume I
-33 1/3: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Kim Cooper - pdf (converted from epub, courtesy of shady Russian warez site)))
mega.nz/#!0UAAwLgL!6ZWZcZOdFUT-96WTNbu-emX6qU-GudW-PxOCD6iUckI

Jeff's 2002 WFMU shows: wfmu.org/playlists/MU
----
This is a working sticky so be sure to comment anything that you think should be included in it!

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!tB9yFJZT!U5uOxs1rTeONBQ37IWziOocEb8OSEIhEMDg8WHLa3ig
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lol

dont do this every day
just dont

/nmhg/ is the new /grimes/

I've always thought the first 3 tracks in ITAOTS were perfect in order. For an indie album it's really daring and unique to be as manic and creepy as well as soft and childish as Jeff does.

I hope this gains traction. I think a lot of newer mutants and summerfags don't get why Jeff is important to the board.

Here is a large collection of Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Mangum bootlegs. The quality varies a lot, but there is a lot of materiel here.

mega.nz/#!tB9yFJZT!U5uOxs1rTeONBQ37IWziOocEb8OSEIhEMDg8WHLa3ig

I agree with you, but the first 3 tracks on that album are my least favourite

is there even enough content by this man to discuss him in a general every day??

Do this everyday. Just do.
The first time I listened to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, I didn't really like it. Then one evening I was on the beach smoking and drinking beer and Oh Comely came up from my shuffled playlist. It blew my mind and I felt hypnotized until the end of the song. I probably listened to this album everyday for a whole year afterwards. Anytime music came to be discussed it was the first album I'd recommend to my friends who knew a little about music.

I always thought the last three tracks on the album were perfect and the perfect closing suite. I also agree that more of new-Sup Forums should be aware of Jeff's importance.

Thanks! I'll add it to the sticky!

>Quantity matters.
Plebs out.

Whatever happened to all that hinting towards a new album? Was he honestly just fucking with us?

Well he has 7 demos, 7 official releases, numerous bootlegs and live shows, and various other collabs and other musical projects. Plus there's enough articles about him to warrant conversation. Grimes has 5 releases and gets 300+ replies daily, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think that this thread could catch on

I think there is going to be more NMH stuff released but I'm leaning more towards just more unreleased demos as opposed to a full new album

Grimes runs on the fumes of pathetic waifu fags. On the topic of his music Ive only really dug into ITAOTS and AI. Out of his other releases and projects what would you recommend I start with?

Who managed to see them live?

Saw them in November 2013, I was seriously close to crying when they played ITAOTS and Oh Comely, to be in a room with hundreds of other fans screaming out the lyrics while Jeff sung was pretty special

Start with Hype City Soundtrack, that has a good mix of what pre-OAI Jeff sounded like. After that go to Invent Yourself a Shortcake, Beauty, or Everything Is depending on what you liked the most about that album.

However, listening in order, from Invent Yourself a Shortcake to Little Birds, really gives a good idea that ITAOTS wasn't accidental. You can see all of the ideas and music forming from a very early stage.

I got into them just a year too late, unfortunately.

i don't live in the US so the whole tour i just wanted to kill myself

If any musician is deserving of a general on Sup Forums, it's Jeff

same here fuck. what's the chance we'll get another tour in the next 10 years

I'd honestly be fine with this. Remaster all the old demos and bootlegs for another box set release. I'd cum.

There was a Reddit user who talked to Jeremy or Julian a year ago or something and they said that Jeff has talked about doing an acoustic tour sometime in the year

Iktf pals. Got into the literally the same night they played in my city because I decided to listen to ITAOTS after a friend sent me a Snapchat of his ticket. Worst feeling in the world.

I saw that as well. Honestly a solo tour would be fine for me. I just need to see him.

He used to look so happy...

>discussing your favorite is a quality conversation
Stop

where does one find rare jeffs

>Who managed to see them live?
Seen them twice. Plus Jeff solo once, Music Tapes a few times, Olivia Tremor Control once and a couple Holiday Surprise shows.

What's the source of this?

Fuck the Music Tapes live is such am experience. I saw Julian perform the orbiting human circus it was magical desu. When did you see them? I hope they do a Christmas tour.

>mega.nz/#!tB9yFJZT!U5uOxs1rTeONBQ37IWziOocEb8OSEIhEMDg8WHLa3ig
this is just cp user

Saw them on the lullaby tour, then opening for Olivia Tremor Control, then Julian's sets on the Holiday Surprise tour. I missed the recent ones unfortunately.

I found some in a thread a while ago, ill try to give some more

I haven't listened to the orbiting human circus aside from the tracks so it was really cool to see it live. He also incorporated older tracks from earlier albums. It's a must see if you get another chance. He has such a unique charisma. I met him and he signed my copy of Mary's Voice and I told him that he inspired me to learn the accordion and banjo and saw. He told me that I can replace him when he dies. Best night of my life.

lol he's a real nut.

Mary's Voice is their best album, I haven't heard it in a while. I better listen again stat. Thanks for reminding me.

please be lying

No idea. Some guy uploaded a ton of them years ago and I downloaded them. The link went dead so I added a few more and re-uploaded it.

fuck off

Is it like live bootlegs mostly? More unreleased stuff? What's the overall content like?

Why fawn over Jeff when Julian was the backbone of NMH?

It's all live recordings I think. Most of them from the 90's and a few recent ones. It contains some of the essentials, like the World Of Wild Beards show and the Side Door 1997 show.

Except he wasn't. Jeff was pretty much the sole creative force behind the band and everybody else was pretty much brought in for the sake of touring

Initially yes, for OAI. But ITAOTS is very much dependent on the other three band member's contributions.

Sure, but it still doesn't change the fact that without Jeff it would just be another le quirky xD indie album

Sure, but it still doesn't change the fact that without Julina, Scott & Jeremy it would just be another le bedroom fuzz-pop album

Guys why can't we just like the whole band

How do I sing like Jeff

Pls do

how come grimes threads reach the bump limit every day then?

Because they are all either waifufags or automated record label bots

Bump

the ending of ghost is one of the most orgasmic musical experiences of my life

Block off any passage to your diaphragm and sing purely with your nose and throat

>plebs think Jeff was obsessed with Anne Frank
>patricians know it was just a name for an already existing character

Does Jeff still hang out with Zizek?

ROSE WALLACE GOLDALINE

JUST MOVES HER MOUTH OVER

Posting since I just listened to aeroplane for the first time in like 8 years.
I heard about them in 2004 on AIM my buddy who was always turning me on to good music sent me the mp3s.
Can’t believe I just now am finding out about the wfmu show. I always heard about these fabled sound collages and now they were basically right next to me all along (I listen to a lot of wfmu archives).
Also just found Neutral Bling Hotel last night which was nice.
When I was deep into this band in high school I would have like transcendental experiences listening. I think I kind of overdosed on the sincerity and stopped listening to stuff like that but it’s still wonderful when you go back

Does anybody know where to find his Korena Pang/Alfred Snouts stuff?

If Jeff releases a 3rd nmh album I'm going to get an erection from when it is announced to when it is released and the day it is released I will buy it and when I get it home I will fuck it