American K-12

>Be a highschool math teacher
>Actually try to teach and be helpful
>Students dont even know how to add variables together
>whatisthis.jpg
>Attempt to explain but instead just give up after everyone whips out their phones

What needs to be done in this country Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ICng-KRxXJ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know a teacher, and they say the kids actually think

I graduated high school in 2009 and i forget everything involving math.

Us normal people just don't give a shit about math like you do OP. People who enjoy math and are good at it ate legitimately autistic.

>math

lol in real life all you need is software to do the math. just need a few autists to program it

>math

no reason for them to pay attention to irrelevant information with no practical application

confiscate the goddam phones, then! My school definitely had a "no phones during class" policy, if you violated it you could pick up your phone from the office at the end of the day.

It's even greater when your a college math professor and students can't do mean, median and mode

You're a shitty teacher. Be creative and shit, nigga. Make the variables amounts of meth and weed and shit.

>be me
>in seventh grade
>pretty fucking smart except for that time i went to in school suspension and didn't learn why pi is described as 3.14
>get done with my work before anyone else every time
>kids ask teacher to help them
>she tells me to help them, but to teach them, and not give the answers
>"okay, so you have 5, which is to be squared, so then that means the problem can look like 5 what?"
>"uhh, five five?"
>"five times what?"
>"two?"
>"what is five times five?"
>"i dunno..."
>i get a failing grade for not being able to do the teachers job

>add variables together

What do you mean? Like x+y?

i swear to god there's no way people really think this way, right? studying mathematics, especially statistics, and learning to apply it is one of the fastest ways to get rich. it's useful in almost every pragmatic aspect of your life from finance to housework to finding a community to live in. the only way math is useless to you is if you're a sad potato brained nigger

Trump must win
:^)

HS is bullshit. I was I could've gotten out earlier.

You were shit at helping too.

Start by asking if he understand what the exponent means.

>"what is five times five?"
>"i dunno..."

what an actual retard

Well, I was only in the seventh grade, and have never taught anyone before. I mean if he doesn't understand what the exponent is, then I shouldn't have to do the teachers job for free or get failed for not doing a good enough job.

Cmon, I was like 13.

>Be math ed major.
>Read your post.
>Feels bad man.

Seriously though schools need to have the authority to punish kids that take out their phones. Stop blaming teachers and schools for kids failing and doing this shit, and blame the parents instead.

great war / civil war

bad argument. the same can be said for almost all of the other classes

>physics
don't really need it in real life lol
>biology
>chemistry
>economics
almost never need it in real life lol

it just depends on what your job is
and a lot of jobs require math

There is no hope.

I downloaded a shit ton of US Navy math books that they use to teach their soldiers. 10/10 would recommend.

When I was in high school math everyone conspired to say "they never taught us this." I was never sure if it was true or some kind of unspoken agreement, but it usually happened.

This was in AP and honors courses.

Actually I had some teacher try the same bullshit and declare us incompetent so they repeated the first week's assignment every week for a whole semester.

Someone talking at you about numbers is literally the most boring shit on the entire planet. I would rather watch paint dry than listen to you try to teach mathematics. Your only chance is to contextualize it in a way that presents it as a real life scenario.

Which I did?

>What needs to be done in this country Sup Forums?

Why aren't you more assertive?

Teachers who "try to be helpful" in 90% of the schools today (and in the past) were bad teachers. Why? Because kids are hormone laden, unsecure little shits. They need a "Führer", an alpha who tells them what to do, they do not need a friend or some beta teacher.

You will probably say this is wrong, but I know it is right. If you treat them like shit, they will love you and really try to get their act together.

Not understanding statistics is basically being forever relegated to being a child. You are fundamentally incapable of understanding any kind of reporting or making objective decisions if you don't know statistics and your pay scale will most likely reflect this.

calc > stats imo

American and kraut kids are very different.

But if he hurts any of the poor little cuddlecucks feefees he himself will be sent to the office, fired, unable to get another teaching job since "he bullies children" is on his record, has all his years of college go down the drain with no money to pay off the loan. Being a teacher in murika is a shitty, unrewarding job.

>tfw I'd join the conversation as an engineer, but everything would be discarded because of >flag, even though i'm hungaryan

HS engineering and science teacher here.

It sucks ass, but kids are not known for having good judgement.

Next school year, set firm ground rules about cell phones, and work hard at building a rapport.

Once I figured out how to get my students to love me, I found that they were willing to work hard at even difficult things, because they knew I cared.

Most of those aren't compatible with everyday life because we live in times where that shit's already proved its worthiness at its peak.

>But if he hurts any of the poor little cuddlecucks feefees he himself will be sent to the office, fired, unable to get another teaching job since "he bullies children" is on his record, has all his years of college go down the drain with no money to pay off the loan. Being a teacher in murika is a shitty, unrewarding job.

BS. Of course you can introduce Nazi style military discipline.

Just watch "The Wave" and introduce this in your classroom. The kids will love it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ICng-KRxXJ8

work smarter, not harder.

It's still pretty hard to drill that kinda thing into kids.

You need a district that's dedicated to going all-in on a strategy to really make it stick.

get Indian teachers

post links senpai

Graduated high school in '06, hated every minute of it. There's very little difference between a state prison and a public high school. They tell you when to shit, they tell you when to eat, they tell you when to wake up, they tell you when you can go outside, and the administrators treat you like criminals. I remember needing to ask my teacher to take a shit, and then needing to carry a hall pass all the way to the bathroom, which was guarded by another teacher who made sure I wasn't fucking around in the halls. Such nonsense.

Kek. I was in school duribg the flip phone era, before phones could access the internet, and I read books through math class. It's not the device, it's the principle of disinterest. I didn'tand still don't give one fuck about math.

All these retards that won't be able to fucking do basic goddamn life improving things like setting a budget.

Man.

Daily reminder that you are subhuman if you dislike math.

>It's still pretty hard to drill that kinda thing into kids.
>You need a district that's dedicated to going all-in on a strategy to really make it stick.

Again, disagree.

We had two teachers who made us 1. stand when he entered the room, 2. say "Sir" to him each time we addressed him, had to stand up straight when answering a question, 3. would receive a "minus" (a negative remark) in case we would not pay attention or talk to a neighbor, 4. still learned a shitload (history and chemistry) more than by liberal teachers.

They just need incentive, and when the time comes they will either learn or give up. I don't see any problems with it.

Take away their fucking phones. Don't be a cuck.

Real talk:

You don't really understand how anti-authoritarian and individualistic Americans are.

Teachers are powerless, and kids know that a district will fold if mommy complains or threatens to sue or call the news.

>Discipline.
>In American Public Schools.

>You don't really understand how anti-authoritarian and individualistic Americans are.
>Teachers are powerless, and kids know that a district will fold if mommy complains or threatens to sue or call the news.

Germans are even more cucked. Still, there are teachers who can exert authority. It is a question of wanting.

I definitely complained more about our completely liberal, idiot math teacher than our authoritarian Nazi 64 year old history teacher or our ultra-hardline, half of the class threatening with an F chemistry teacher.

>HS math

What you teach is largely irrelevant for most people.

Its spelled Hungarian btw, and nationalities are capitalized in English.

What kind of engineer?

You misread it. He was making a word play.
>Hung_Aryan

>Homeschooled until grade 10
>Parents were never actually there to teach me so I just browsed the internet all day
>Get forced into public school at grade 10
>Still pass math classes with a C+
Math class in public school is a joke. They don't even explain the principles of shit like variables, they just show you a bunch of problems and show the steps.

Ban phones, remove all distractions. Give real powerful consequences for not doing work.

This will never ever happen because both parents and administrators are british tier nanny state enablers now.

They still won't do the work, trust me. You can't force a teenager to do school work.

can't blame them. math is useless.

I was thinking about becoming a math teacher because it was really difficult for me to learn and it took me forever to get it down pat. So I know a lot of tricks to help kids out.

>What needs to be done in this country Sup Forums?

School should end with 10th grade.

From what I understand, apparently US school is piss easy.
Do you really get only like 20% or 40% of your grade from tests?
Do you really pick subjects you want to learn, besides basic stuff?

The problem is that kids aren't taught discipline and respect at a young age

American students lack docility which is key to learning

Kids need to be slapped at younger ages

Parents should get angry at kids not the teacher when their kid messes up

Administrators should support their teachers when problems are brought up

Kids are taught through media that not paying attention and being a class clown is the cool thing to do

Students should fear the teacher
Parents/School should support the teachers

Teachers should be given more control over their classroom to encourage smart people to want to enter the career field

Who wants a job where no one likes/respects you and you basically have no creative control inside your room

God damn nigger, it's not about knowing every fucking possible way to do math, it's about learning to think and solve problems.