What do you think of Empires best films of the year so far, Sup Forums?

What do you think of Empires best films of the year so far, Sup Forums?
empireonline.com/movies/features/best-films-2016/

shit list making me scroll down to see it
whats the top three?

>3. The Hateful Eight
>2 . The Revenant
>1. Captain America 3: The Civil War
I made the thread hoping to trigger someone as badly as it triggered me t.b.h. Its a shit list and includes last year films because they were released in january in the UK

>captain america civil war
>the Revenant
>hateful eight
>love and friendship
>spotlight
>anamolisa
>the big short
>the MMeme
>the Nice Guys

>Best films of 2016
>2 from 2015 and capeshit

Film criticism in journalism is fucking dead.

hmm..
fine with the hateful eight but the rest are shite flicks

I would be triggered, but I've basically accepted at this point that contemporary film critics are all giant plebs who are happy to pander to their almost-illiterate reader-base

This. /thread. Fuck critics, except those ones pre-internet era.

#NotAllCritics

He's literally contrarian:the reviewer
His reviews are good way to gauge what the consensus among other reviewers isn't
The fact that his reviews happen to be accurate at an ever-increasing rate signifies how shit the current professional consensus is

The Nice Guys deserves a much better reception than it's so far got and is certainly a better movie than their top two.
Fuck me, if you're going to include Civil War, at least put it in the number 15 spot.
I realize I'm in the minority on The Revenant, but fuck that flick as well.

No I agree with you on everything. The Revenant wasn't anything amazing. and Civil War was a car crash imo. It couldn't decide what movie to be

The Revenant deserves all its praise whether or not you like it simply for being a large-budget hollywood with artistic integrity

Name one other hollywood film, not starring Leonardo DiCaprio, that isn't obvious oscar-bait with a budget over $100m

>The Revenant deserves all its praise

-Ok movie, but not top 15 material.
-A movie as pretentious as Birdman, but without the fact that that's its gimick and the good script/performances to back it up
-One of Tarantula's genuine best
-One of these films that always score high with critics, no matter how good or shit they are
-What are you going to do, not acknowledge it? You a pedophile son, or just Catholic?
-Dan Harmon still mad
-Would be funny if it weren't so sad, that is, if you understand it
-The Exorcist of the modern age according to Jay Bauman
-One of the best films of this year.

It's based on cinema releases in the UK.

Birdman deserved its praise, because being self aware of how pretentious it was was part of the gimmick. The Revenant was emptier than most pre-capeshit historical blockbusters and had nothing relevant to show or say. Cinematography that, while beautiful, was incredibly audacious and out of sync with a flick that had precious little to justify itself, with Leo getting an Oscar for simply eating disgusting things reacting to the cold (and doing so much less convincingly than Liam Neeson did in The Grey, a much superior movie).
Only two things of merit in it were Tom Hardy's performance, practically just doing his own thing in a corner while the rest of the crew was masturbating, and that it dared show the Indians as being the evil savages they often were in order to match the white man.

Leo didn't deserve the oscar for the role if you buy the meme that the oscars reward talent. The oscars are just PR buzz though and leo literally going through all that shit was enough for them.

The cinematography wasn't at all out of touch with the film, it perfectly encapsulated the feeling of isolation and the deadly cold that constantly surrounded him. The film had a powerful message in the form of how far man will go for revenge with spirituality and allusions to god in the background. What is it to be dead? Of course you didn't actually ask any of these questions, you read Armond White's review or the shitposters here and decided you didn't want to be like Reddit
But, like I said, none of that matters because it's undeniably a labour of love and passion. And it had a budget of like $140m which is unbelievably rare in modern hollywood who only gives those budgets to capeshit, sequels, remakes and family-friendly agenda-pushing shit
You literally can't name another film that does this and doesn't star Leo, which is why you ignored the question

>You literally can't name another film that does this and doesn't star Leo

Mad Max: Fury Road and Cloud Atlas, just at the top of my head.
Both as "deep" or even "deeper" than The Revenant, both more worthy of praise, even if you don't like them.

Also
>Reddit

And to further,
>Mu appeal to passion
Even the schlockiest schlock is a passion project.
Most people involved perceived duds like Movie 43 and Gods of Egypt were super passionate about them. Doesn't always work out even with the best of intention and capability. See: Heaven's Gate, a movie that more passion went into than even the Revenant.

>Both as "deep" or even "deeper" than The Revenant, both more worthy of praise,
These are both flat-out lies

Fury Road is a 2 hour music video with no variety and less substance than your average marvel film. It's also a sequel meaning it doesn't fit the requirements. Or are you illiterate?

>Most people involved perceived duds like Movie 43 and Gods of Egypt were super passionate about them.
Is this does is confirm that you've never been on a movie-set before

*All this does

Christ.

These truly are the end times

>It's also a sequel meaning it doesn't fit the requirements
Oh, fuck off. It was a sequel to a film nobody was pushing but George Miller himself. It was a passion project decades in the making, made under much harsher conditions requiring much more intricate planing than The Revenant. And that "two hour music video" deals better with revenge, spirituality and allusions to god in the background than the dances with Pocahontas bullshit the Revenant filled in the blanks of a very straightforward story of a man that got lost in the wilderness, got mauled by a bear, followers thought was dead, turned out he wasn't, and then died anyway.

I've been on several you retard, that's how I know, with varying results. Even things you're just doing for the money or can see are going to turn out shit a mile a way require a sense of passion to keep going. And often you hae no idea how something is going to turn out, because so much has yet to happen in editing.

The film was very obviously and clearly marketed to fans of the original mad max films. It's basically a remake of 2 for christ's sake. You're talking pure shite

>made under much harsher conditions requiring much more intricate planing than The Revenant.
Yeah filming in a desert next to a city and then refilming the whole thing because it was shit is really hard. Much harder than having to travel thousands of miles because the original planned landscape no longer has snow and constantly filming in conditions of minus 20 degrees c
Fuck off with your confirmation bias. You're the worst type of fanboy

>-What are you going to do, not acknowledge it? You a pedophile son, or just Catholic?
I'd like it not to be approached in such a boring, clinical manner with a fucking formula and Ruffalo the robot

I'm no fanboy, just pleasantly surprised with Fury Road and more than a little disappointed with the Revenant. And living in a cold climate but having worked often in the heat where the sun, the sand and the wildlife gets everywhere, I'll take the cold any day (20° isn't that bad btw if the humidity and weather conditions are favorable.

>someone who lives in a cold climate is used to the cold and doesn't think it's a big deal
gee, what a surprise

Want me to knit you a sweater?

why do people pretend these avengers movies aren't fucking retarded?

They're scared of disenfranchising their reader-base since the films make so much money
This is also why they're so upset at the idea of DC films making money because it proves a significant portion of the public doesn't care about their opinions anyway

>Empire
There's your problem OP
Why are people acting surprised that Empire is utter shit? This is the same publication that named Star Wars and Indiana Jones as being in the top 10 movies of all time. It will not be surprising at all when they do another list in a few decades where Avengers and TDK will definitely be in the top 5.

agreed user

>The Avengers just changed modern filmmaking in a way no one could have prepared for and is perhaps the most-imitated film of the 00s. And there's a reason for that; it's bloody spectacular and easily earned its place on our top ten!

Do you reckon they'd hire me?

Nothing wrong with their list you retarded faggots.

Are you one of the trolls constantly posting damage control/bait
> BvS,SS,MOS were good films meme
Threads?

why do you type like a retard?

No
Are you someone who can't look at the way the media covered DC films this year without assuming that it's all DC propaganda?

Because I'm phone typing DCuck
You still knew what I was trying to say faggot

>2015 flicks
I hate bongs so much
every fucking year with this "oh it was released here in this year so it's a 201x film"
EVERY FUCKING YEARR

1. Handmaiden
2. Toni Erdmann
3. Train to Busan
4. nothing this year sucked

>Civil War in first place
Surely they aren't being serious.

>realer than real life