I used to look down on Hip Hop but after years of resisting the Hip Hop bug, I've decided to embrace it...

I used to look down on Hip Hop but after years of resisting the Hip Hop bug, I've decided to embrace it. I might as well get used to it. I have a prog/folk/Latin rock music background and I can't seem to get into hip hop, as hard as I try. Can someone suggest me some good hip hip/rap acts that can appeal to my sensibilities?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3mV47wPD-sU
youtube.com/watch?v=qw8ZVn1ICHU
youtube.com/watch?v=AZhMoOo4aJY
youtube.com/watch?v=WCgCu9zCOIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xAmN2sz4kA4&list=RDGMEMHDXYb1_DDSgDsobPsOFxpAVMRM7lw0Ovzq0&index=22
youtube.com/watch?v=H39Q02EkNNA
youtube.com/watch?v=Jpu0JZxDz-w
youtube.com/watch?v=F-4KiszXxHM&list=RDGMEMHDXYb1_DDSgDsobPsOFxpAVM1RA2Z1I8jxM&index=29
youtube.com/watch?v=uPmNxobIoWI
youtube.com/watch?v=qTKSIk7Uqvo
youtube.com/watch?v=qXzouMb3BFg
youtube.com/watch?v=0QIZ6o7vDZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY
youtube.com/watch?v=3d0kWSftV7A
youtube.com/watch?v=3IcGeU1mmxc
youtube.com/watch?v=5S6U_krabrk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No point, OP. That's like saying you want to get into McDonalds after years of healthy eating.

You have a gift OP, accept it.

What have you already listened to but not liked? (the "hard as I try" bit makes it sound like that's been the case with you so far)

What have you tried and not liked?

Just enjoy the music you like, you silly twat.

That said, I'd say check out The College Dropout - listen to 'All Falls Down'. The album is hardly prog, but it is great.

you need to develop a chip on your shoulder to enjoy rap or metal

if you grew up in a broken home with a single parent its alot easier

Kanye, Jay Z, lamar. Basically all the big names

But I did grow up in a broken home.

How silly do you like your music?
Should it be easy digestible or complex?
Should it be upbeat, melancholic, or aggressive?

all of the above and none of the above

Complex and melancholic. Sometimes aggressive when Im not in my bipolar depression phase but still a tad bit complex.

hmmmm......

youtube.com/watch?v=3mV47wPD-sU
youtube.com/watch?v=qw8ZVn1ICHU
youtube.com/watch?v=AZhMoOo4aJY
youtube.com/watch?v=WCgCu9zCOIQ

wouldn't call myself a hip-head, but i tried to think of a few off the top off my head that might stand a chance of appealing and tried to spread it out across eras a little bit

I meant upbeat, not aggressive

Have you listened to the classics? Illmatic, 36 Chambers, Doggystyle, and Born to Die are what got me into rap.

I made the most varied selection possible from what is on my hip hop playlist so you should enjoy at least one of these.

youtube.com/watch?v=xAmN2sz4kA4&list=RDGMEMHDXYb1_DDSgDsobPsOFxpAVMRM7lw0Ovzq0&index=22

youtube.com/watch?v=H39Q02EkNNA

youtube.com/watch?v=Jpu0JZxDz-w

youtube.com/watch?v=F-4KiszXxHM&list=RDGMEMHDXYb1_DDSgDsobPsOFxpAVM1RA2Z1I8jxM&index=29

youtube.com/watch?v=uPmNxobIoWI
youtube.com/watch?v=qTKSIk7Uqvo

youtube.com/watch?v=qXzouMb3BFg

youtube.com/watch?v=0QIZ6o7vDZ8

youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY

Hmm, have you considered listening to prog?

I like gfunk, but I've listened to them all and they get old fast and repetitive unfortunately.

I said in the op that I listen to prog

>complex and melancholic

youtube.com/watch?v=3d0kWSftV7A
youtube.com/watch?v=3IcGeU1mmxc
youtube.com/watch?v=5S6U_krabrk

Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand

whoops the childish gambino link cuts off early just before the most haunting part of the song, sorry about that

Have you tried A Tribe Called Quest?

Generic G funk

OP you have to go through all phases before you can enjoy good hip hop, start off with old school, then go through a tyler the creator phase or eminiem or some shit and eventually youll end up somewhere and youll realise that the hip hopyou used to listen to is shit

Hmm, have you considered continuing to listen to prog?

You keep saying g funk when you mean boom bap

Nah..sorry

Kanye - Power
Cudi - Marijuana

If those can't convince you, just give up

Literally everything made from 90-01. And then Atmosphere.

don't listen to this twat Op