What's the most crafty use of sampling you've ever heard?

what's the most crafty use of sampling you've ever heard?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BTLgDr2jDn4/
youtube.com/watch?v=Uuwc6MzbB9w
youtube.com/watch?v=70OYREXm3Ys
mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/
youtu.be/JO9wSPXMNT8
youtube.com/watch?v=yORwhIwEAoY
youtube.com/watch?v=O15e_ktO2-4
youtube.com/watch?v=gxcz83OFB1g
youtube.com/watch?v=e3bP7PHXIV4
youtube.com/watch?v=EZPy-5a9fP0
samplestitch.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
plunderphonics.com/xhtml/xplunder.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

instagram.com/p/BTLgDr2jDn4/

This is a DJ performing jungle live with a sampler

not really sampling but the way creep uses the melody from that hollies song is pretty cool

I think Fantastic Damage by El-P was entirely done with a sampler.

MF DOOM- Deep Fried Friendz
J Dilla- Waves
Kanye West- Send It Up (at the end)

Plebeians will mention Entroducing... and Since I Left You

Burial sampling a NASA commentator and chopping it to make it sound like an American girl showing you a city skyline at night and recalling a UFO sighting. The way it's juxtaposed with the Eno-Apollo-esque synthesizer pad and the way it cuts abruptly at the end to vinyl crackle, it's just genius

youtube.com/watch?v=Uuwc6MzbB9w 9:45

What an ironic post

youtube.com/watch?v=70OYREXm3Ys

I might be the only one to admit this

but I thought the sampling on 22, A Million was really beautiful

mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/

Sylvie and Babs is up there too

Endtroducing

Since I Left You

Since I Endtroduced You

Endtroducing: Since I Left You

damn why nobody told me Burial was good

the money store

patricians mention wildflower

that's fucking sick

Entroducing....
Since I Left You
Madvillainy

come on..

Honest question: what genre is Endtroducing/Since I Left You/Madvillainy? It's very free-flowing and it's how I'd like to make an album

youtu.be/JO9wSPXMNT8

plunderphonics?

Chinoieseries by Onra
Endtroducing: Plunderphonics, instrumental hip-hop
Since I Left You: Plunderphonics
Madvillainy: Abstract hip-hop

frank ocean

youtube.com/watch?v=yORwhIwEAoY

youtube.com/watch?v=O15e_ktO2-4

abba?

Both are Instrumental Hip Hop (Madvillainy is just Hip Hop). Plunderphonics is a completely different thing.

>Plunderphonics
No

lol

because its not 2011 fucking pleb

>Both are Instrumental Hip Hop (Madvillainy is just Hip Hop). Plunderphonics is a completely different thing.

It's not though it's just arbitrary vague descriptions you fucking tripfag

Want another one?

>SILY
>hip hop
How

Please go read what plunderphonics means.

Instrumental Hip Hop. I have to admit they are pretty removed from it though.

Thank you.

Fucking B man, that song is amazing.

bjork drums on niggas on the moon are pretty wacky

jungle is rich with crafty sampled tunes

youtube.com/watch?v=gxcz83OFB1g

it's fucking amazing how it was done on primitive equipment like amiga pc's and standard samplers like the one in the op, obv later genres like breakcore upped the sampling ante up thanks to modern daws and equipment but those are too oversaturated and as a result lacking in finese and subtlety, jungle is interesting in the sense that little stuff sounded like it before it was made, add-up the fact it was made on classic samplers and very early digital workstations and it becomes mindblowing

Stop being pretentious, you are a net drag

I admit I act pretentious sometimes, but this time I'm being honest. Neither of those albums are Plunderphonics.

Neck yourself tripfag

youtube.com/watch?v=e3bP7PHXIV4

It fits the definition, two of those albums are on the wikipedia page. You're being a teenage tripfag.

inb4 he says wikipedia is wrong

>two of those albums are on the wikipedia page
This is why this board is turning to shit.

Yes. Do you know who builds the content at Wikipedia? Users themselves, and they are wrong.

The users' definition of plunderphonics is:
Plunderphonicsis anymusicmade by taking one or more existingaudio recordingsand altering them in some way to make a newcomposition.

Now tell me how those two albums do not match that definition. Or provide your own better definition along with reasoning about why it's more correct.

Ah yes, because there is some sort of super official snopes of whether something is plunderphonics or instrumental hip hop, it's not that you're a 16 year old trying shitly to emulate the tryhard behaviour of pretentious tripfags because your brain is broken and you admire them or something haha

good post, would read again

That definition has to be wrong, because that's the definition of sound collages and that's not the same as plunderphonics.

Not an argument

plunderphonics is...?

A parrot used as a record scratch solo/breakdown on frontier psychiatrist is damn good.

And Bjork used by DG is also impressive.

never understood why nobody gives a shit about this record, it's amazing

Classic.

I always liked the sample of Mississippi Queen on Beastie Boys' Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun

Hey you failed to provide an alternate definition, neat reply!

OG plunderphonics was all about making new compositions out of a single source. Like taking a sample of a person talking and then using their words rhythmically and melodically.

I love this album. People i've shown it to don't like the squeaky voice... cause it doesn't sound like $ i guess

You can recreate this song plus a j dilla song and a kanye west song on this website. Pretty crafty I think. youtube.com/watch?v=EZPy-5a9fP0

samplestitch.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

I could provide one, but you first have to agree that the definition you provided is either incorrect or that plunder-phonics is the same as sound collage. I can only give you a proper answer once you answer that.

Do you have a source to back up that claim? Because the person who first made Plunderphonics was John Oswald and he made recordings with more than one single source most of the time.

No one here likes you, no one here wants to see your posts. Please leave. I don't understand why you would want to be recognizable on mu, because every thread i have seen you in you either shitpost or just spew bullshit.

But Oswald's definition was that the source was clear rather than sneaked in and used to embellish, not that it was one song

entroducing and since i left you fit that definition because they're not running it through fx chains to get a modern spin, the oldness and crackle are the focus

>I don't have an actual definition so I'll bluff untill they agree with me
god you're insufferable. You obviously do not want to correct misconceptions and just care about power over others on a Chinese image board.

lol I'm not going to agree with you before you even provide an argument. Cute attempt though

>No one here likes you, no one here wants to see your posts.
Objectively wrong.

>I don't understand why you would want to be recognizable on mu
I don't, I just want the board quality to improve.

The thing is Entro and SILY are rooted in Hip Hop's (actually instrumental hip hop's) sampling techniques and style, which had nothing to do with John Oswald's.

Why do you refuse to answer my question? I can't give you a proper definition if we can't even agree that sound collages and plunderphonics are synonyms or not.

How about you provide a definition first and we'll work from there. You're asserting an opinion that you haven't even provided evidence for! Who knows avant-math-kun, it might actually be agreeable.

Meeting of the Waters.

Recording the rainforest, then live sampling it in the rainforest to be recorded.

Geo is probably the sample master.

Alright then, here you go, the essay from which the word plunderphonics was born.

TO ALL DEBATING WHAT PLUNDERPHONICS IS: plunderphonics.com/xhtml/xplunder.html

This is an essay written by John Oswald, creator of the term plunderphonics. It should answer any questions you have on the matter.

thx

2slow fgt

Yeah no one on this entire planet wants to hear your input, and your tastes are extremely basic for being the "god" of a genre

This thread is getting sad

For those using Wikipedia as a source, it's not always accurate. Grab a better source. Regardless, Avant, you're still wrong.

John Oswald's own written essay of plunderphonics; a term he created.

>Musical instruments produce sounds. Composers produce music. Musical instruments reproduce music. Tape recorders, radios, disc players, etc., reproduce sound. A device such as a wind-up music box produces sound and reproduces music. A phonograph in the hands of a hip hop/scratch artist who plays a record like an electronic washboard with a phonographic needle as a plectrum, produces sounds which are unique and not reproduced - the record player becomes a musical instrument. A sampler, in essence a recording, transforming instrument, is simultaneously a documenting device and a creative device, in effect reducing a distinction manifested by copyright.

The definition of plunderphonics; a record player (or other forms of musical media players) becoming an instrument through the art of audio manipulation. There's many forms of it that can be used as sub-categorization, such as Vaporwave and Turntablism (sloppy/largely cut editing and a primary choice of 80s sampling sourcing for Vaporwave, sampling being done via vinyl record scratching for Turntablism), but plunderphonics is the general term, much like rock is for the various genres of rock we have. Some of plunderphonics' sub-genres actually can apply to other genres, like Turntablism to Hip Hop.

Your inability to provide a succinct answer to the question "what is plunderphonics" indicates that you do not actually know. That said, thanks for the essay, I'll read it when I get a chance.

Since I Left You absolutely fits the definition of Plunderphonics. As there aren't too many albums out there made primarily by samples, this isn't too uncommon for an album made of samples to simply be defined by the mother genre. Rock and Hip Hop have so many, it's hard to DEFINITIVELY just call an album "Rock" or "Hip Hop" without giving an additional genre tag to sub-categorize them. Said albums would still be rock and/or hip hop, but that's not the DEFINING genre. It's the mother genre.

The album Since I Left You was made using bits of recordings from vinyl records they picked up. No scratching was done, no primary focus of 80s sampling was used (Vaporwave didn't exist for another decade anyhow), so Turntablism and Vaporwave, for instance, wouldn't apply to it. It's far too far off from Hip Hop to be a Hip Hop album, so it's not that either. Endtroducing, on the other hand, has clear Hip Hop influences, as does Madvillainy! Endtroducing, being made primarily by scratch sampling, could very well be considered Turntablism! Instrumental Hip Hop could apply to the album as well. Since I Left You, however, still does not match any of these genres. As there aren't enough subgenres around to attach one of them to Since I Left You, it's just simply plunderphonics. If there ever is a subgenre of plunderphonics "invented" that focuses on lush layering and 50s-70s samples, for instance, then it could easily match that. Until then, it's really just plunderphonics. Giving it anything else doesn't really make sense.

I've been partial to Hypergrunge eventually being considered a genre (music primarily made of grunge/rock/sludgy sounding samples). I've found several artists who've practiced it; myself included. Although I had been doing this since 2014, I first saw the term used around the time Garden Of Delete by Oneohtrix Point Never came out, with his Kaoss Edge "band" that he made to promote the album. Phoenix Brown, Croww, I've seen some others make music using rock, punk, metal or whatever else of a sludgy genre as a primary sample source.

Either way, if you wanna be super technical with genres, good for you. Just be right when you do it. Make a genre for Since I Left You if it bugs you so much. Start a movement like that, it'd be cool. The only thing we could get from it would be more albums that sound like Since I Left You, which wouldn't be a bad thing.

End of essay. Stop being a meme please.

>your tastes are extremely basic for being the "god" of a genre
It was someone else who came up with my name.

I was only saying why your definition is wrong. That's all.

>Regardless, Avant, you're still wrong.
How come? I only said the other guy's definition of Plunderphonics was incorrect, and in that I'm correct.

You are honestly a fat faggot dude

Awesome. I really want to buy a MPC1000 soon.

>OP asks for songs that use sampling in a creative way
>autists come in and argue over semantics
good thread everybody

There is none. Sampling doesn't require skill.

>the only skill in music is how quickly you can pluck a string or hit a key

the voice makes the album so much more chill imo

bump for Chinoiseries
never gets talked about on this board and it's fucking masterful trilogy

this man is the best at sampling

/thread

kill yourself

you're a fucking cock get off Sup Forums.

So spineless that you can't even make an argument.

Based Prisma saving the thread with logic and actually explaining his viewpoints.

That's right.
No need to get emotional over me telling the truth. Sampling in music is nothing more than theft.

again, kys

What if you're sampling recordings that you commissioned, or recorded yourself?

How'd you discovered it, user?

Are you gonna cry?

hes an idiot

he thinks sampling is nothing but taking an actual part from a full song and copying and pasting it into your song and claiming it as your own or something

complete idiot

That's exactly what it is.

Shut the fuck up lol I've heard your soundcloud music, it's fucking garbage. Don't expect us to honestly take someone as awful as you at music seriously

Not an argument

>it's fucking garbage
I know and I never pretended otherwise.

>Don't expect us to honestly take someone as awful as you at music
Irrelevant.

kys

Wrong