/swg/ + /fmg/ = Film Production General

>What screenwriting program do you use™ Edition.
Celtx? Final Draft? Adobe Story (lmao)?

>Useful Resources
learnaboutfilm.com/
nofilmschool.com/
youtube.com/user/filmriot
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests
screencraft.org/screenwriting-contests/
tblaunchpad.com/

>Strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11156564

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/3FN3C
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qQVlM-BO8UMGlHUi1vU1hIRGs/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=fAjKEgawVtE
youtube.com/watch?v=854Z-vANm6Y
drive.google.com/open?id=0BxdOPvt4UK3JRDlVSHBmTDFrSEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've been meaning to write some movies but there's always other things distracting me.

Anyone else know this feel?

discord.gg/3FN3C

plenty of plebs know that feel

I do word or page quotas.
Joe Eszterhas suggests 6 pages a day.
You set a time, you sit down at your desk, or go to the cafe, the park, the library.. where-ever you choose to write. And you just write. And you don't leave until you have six pages. Even if they're shit.

>In 17 days, you'll have 100 page draft one.

>tfw being paid to write but there's always other things distracting me

Did not expect this feel. How do you already have a job writing?

>16 days left til submission date
>I don't have a single piece of usable footage
>shooting the whole fucking thing by myself only of myself since I have no friends with free time
>now completely reconsidering the entire aesthetic/character motivations

Please...someone help me...

Arts and design student doing freelancer thing, someone spots you writing down shit and it just happens.

Does anyone have that one specific movie that really inspires them and they strive for something on that level? I feel bad cause mine is kinda shit but it's so comfy and has a special place in my heart

Oh my bad 14 days

watership down

Hmm, I thought you had an agent or something.

Speaking of which, how do you go about getting an agent?

I'd think you have to write a few scripts before-hand to showcase your work/talent but do you need to contact and hire(?) an agent before trying to get a studio, even if it's an indie studio, to buy your script?

Really curious as to how that goes down.

King Kong (1933). No film can make it to that level.

bump for discussion

Can't help with that, sorry, but i'm curious too. Having a portfolio is always nice.

I've written a few plays and directed them for my theatre classes. My friend asked me to help him out with writing script for a movie he wants to make.

So I'm writing the script for a cheesy 80s teen vampire movie. Like once bitten and teen wolf (micheal j fox original) I want to make a movie using 80s tropes and make something comfy. What would be some things to look out for? Like what common 80s things should I steer clear from? Also any 80s movies you guys really like that I could watch to get a feel for them?

>80's throwback
OH NO NOT AGAIN

But honestly just watch a shit ton of movies in the genre you're wanting to write in. Have your script spring from the shit you like in those.

Don't be like Kung Fury/Turbo Kid/Danger 5 and have 80's shit for the sake of having 80's shit. Be more understated and understanding of the genre, like The Guest or Stranger Things.

This should help you:
twitter.com/thesulk/status/754773821035388928

Maybe want to watch the Vampire Weekend music video for Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa.

This is good advice.

I manuged to get the drip on him.

Watch John Carpenter films.

Escape from New York, The Thing, Halloween to start.

Oh God I feel you, I don't want to do some shitty 80s thing. I want to use the comfy level that many 80s movies had and just set it modern.

Ahh yes gotta have stuff like that, of course I'm going to include the old 2 friends, ones a girl and the other is a comedy relief best friend

Yeah yeah, in that case definitely watch The Guest.

Halloween as well, like the other dude said.

I want to start a youtube channel of film based video essays. Where should I start? Should I start?

I was going to make it a horror comedy actually. So what are the best horror comedies out there?

submission date for what?

Sundance Ignite. Have to make a 1-8 minute short answering "What's Next?". I'm doing a short about a dead guy that realizes he needs to complete something before moving onto the afterlife.

>Evil Dead 2
>Army Of Darkness
>What We Do In The Shadows
>HouseBound
>Grabbers
>Cabin In The Woods
>Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon
For starters.

That makes me think of Beetlejuice actually

I've seen a few but I'll definitely check the others out. I really love the flying in what we do in the shadows. Lost boys had that too, which reminds me to rewatch lost boys

I have the urge to direct something but I have writers block and can't come up with an idea for a script. fuck my life.

Well start off with genre

Yeah, the first Iron Man. I grew up below the poverty line and never got to see movies in theater, but my class went on a field trip to see it.

I actually went in thinking it was a sports movie, because I was so disconnected from the world. It's still my comfiest movie choice.

>I actually went in thinking it was a sports movie
What like a triathalon or some shit?

Writers block doesn't exist mate.

Look at your surroundings, look at the environment, see how it could create tension, it could provoke conflict.

A fence... a fence... a fence is a barrier?
Is this a story about two neighbors arguing, passive aggressive... we have a simple gag-topper structure where they try and irritate one another culminating in one killing the other?

or does little Billy lose his Buzz Lightyear toy after trying to throw it and make it fly, now he needs to venture over the fence: but in his mind it's an epic sci-fi so while we as the audience see it as mundane, the soundtrack, and the kid's own voice-over turn it into a movie... with anti-climactic plots twists and... OH NO, the neighbor on the other-side of the fence joins in, and he plays the villain in the same movie... they fight for creative control.

Maybe it's a romeo and Juliet story: they pass notes over the backyard.

POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS EVEN WITH BANAL THINGS user!!

> saw first Iron Man as a child

I'm soooo oooollld

Anyone know the difference between Final Draft and Celtx besides Final Draft being the "business standard"?

Yeah, the only Iron Man I had ever heard of was the sports event. I was 13 with no internet connection, I spent all day riding my bike around the block. I was a simple child.

Yes start
Start by picking your 3 favorite films

Start with your target audience.
>Laymen?
>Film Students?
>Post-Structualists?
>Cultural Anthropologists?
>Alt-Rightists?
>Paleo Cons?
>SWJs?
>Second Wave Feminists?
>Burtolucci fans?
>Kubrick fans who wish there was more Kubrick films?
>Punk Rockers?

Decide on a subject matter or slate of films that will appeal to them, and a few that they are unlikely to know of but will enjoy.

Decide on your "thesis", your theme across the series, what truth about the medium, what insight are you trying to share?
Otherwise: Why are you making these videos? What do you know or think that hasn't already been written and discussed before? Maybe your presenting a extant thesis to a new audience?

The rest should decide itself.

Guys I am a playwright and I was about to start the first draft of a new full length play the other day when I realized that I should maybe make the protagonist female instead of male. Here's the basic plot:

Far future, space expedition to find source of mysterious signal. Mission has been going on for thousands of years and generations of new astronauts etc. have been born countless times. The whole play takes place in an escape pod after a violent mutiny. Only the captain, his daughter, the first mate, a scientist, and a soldier survive and the main ship explodes. It's revealed that the mutiny was because Cap has been lying. no contact with Earth for centuries, ship (and pod) on unchangeable auto pilot toward signal. They tie cap up, continue logging the signal's data since no real choice. Girl and first mate start a relationship, eventually soldier snaps, executes cap, says he's in charge now, forces girl to be his sex slave. He becomes a total hedonist and when all cigarettes run out he allows the first mate to kill him (after emptying all but one bullet of the gun into the scientist). Mate chokes him to death. He can't get over seeing the girl degraded, they fight for a while and eventually reconcile. She just wants to get back to work (also she's pregnant). They have only enough food for 2 weeks anyway, mate sees no point in doing anymore work since it's for nothing. She holds out hope. He just wants to love each other in the time they have, then die romantically. She refuses. He shoots himself with last bullet, she keeps working.

But I'm thinking I should maybe switch them around in the final act, have the girl be the one who sees the pointlessness of it all, and he's excited about having a family, wants to do everything he can to be rescued and live on.

Any thoughts on this? It's fucking me up. (this counts for /swg/ because I plan on eventually adapting it into a b/w film made on a shitty lo-fi set straight out of 50s sci fi movies)

I work for a camera store that wants to put out educational videos on film production and videography tutorials. We're often at a loss over what kind of videos we should make as it's difficult to gauge how "entry-level" we want the videos to be. So what would you guys be most interested in?

kinography

Kind of thinking of writing a horror film set in the Appalachian wilderness based on a few skinwalker stories from /x/. I know, I know, but I think they're perfect for a subtle, creepy, paranoia based film about a guy who comes back to his podunk town after college, reunites with his old best friend, goes camping, and then realizes his friend is different than he remembers. Or something like that. Is it too cringe to write a skinwalker movie, even if I think it'll actually be good?

A boy (Chris Pratt) falls in love with a girl (Jennifer Lawrence).

Unable to ask her to prom, he is gifted by a random man(Morgan Freeman) with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she wants to go down on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to his best friend (Seth Rogan), he only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After looking on facebook, he finds out that the girl he called using his Samsung Galaxy S7 edge is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this planet at all. She is the girl's robotic alien counterpart (powered by Windows 10), who has fallen in love with the MC's own robotic alien self(Powered by Linux), who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, ACTION ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of CGI.

Directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

FINDS

I'd like to learn shit about lighting.

I don't get this meme.

Idk but it sure ruins threads fast huh

We've considered lighting tutorials, but outside of basic 3-point lighting, lighting a scene is very, very subjective and obviously can change based on location, intended mood, fixtures, budget.

The "Hollywood" way would involve high powered lights to counter natural sunlight, tons of replaced practical bulbs, etc. One way I've considered tackling this (I need to bring up the topic again to the production team) is a video on how to properly assess an environment and light it "naturally".

..at least he landed peacefully

I learned a lot about lighting from this theatre class I dropped about lighting design for stage. There's a free (but limited) virtual light lab program you can download, dunno link sorry, that's great for figuring out how placement effects the way the light hits a person. Also excellent for testing out different moods and things

bump

Who is this store's customer?
Like what kind of productions these customers do: think about the kinds of environments they are going to be in and give tips.

>Use a car to get a dolly shot
>How to rearrange a person's living room when shooting a documentary interview to get that nice depth of field behind them? (and easily put everything back once you've finished)
>How to keep everything the same WB when shooting in many environments on one day
>Under and Overcranking for beginners
>What should you have in your "kit"? (great chance to spruik the stuff you sell while also offering practical advice, like why you should always have camera tape on hand, or a compact reflector)

Why copy this OP with that old ass strawpoll?'
I made a new OP I thought might be more helpful a few days ago, consider it.

>Useful Resources: Filmmaking
filmmakeriq.com/
learnaboutfilm.com/
linchpinseo.com/color-guide-designers
youtube.com/user/RJFilmSchool
youtube.com/user/DSLRguide/videos
archive.org/details/filmtechniqueact00pudo
cinema5d.com/film-color-schemes-cinematic-color-design/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Gh-fomKSuIEZ-GJo2tere4YMjsDvmmsuyiJKzQ-1ZRk/

>Useful Resources: Screenwriting
imsdb.com/
screenwriting.info/
litreactor.com/columns/writing-powerful-descriptions
cdn.writershelpingwriters.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Active-Verbs-List.pdf

>Free Screenwriting Software
fountain.io/faq
story.adobe.com/
storywriter.amazon.com/
trelby.org/
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/

>Active Contests
tblaunchpad.com/
filmfreeway.com/

I've got a question for you guys. My grandfather is going to die soon, and I'm the sole inheritor of his estate, which will be over six figures. I've decided to use this to fund a project, but I'm not sure whether to pour it all into a feature-length film (I already have a ~95 minute horror feature written), or if I should use little bits of the money and make short films to hone my skill? I'd obviously rather do the feature but as I've only made like two shorts before, I'm kind of afraid I'll get 50k in and deep into a feature, and then come to the horrifying realization that what I'm making is shit and I'm in over my head.

nigga fucking save most of it and make shorts with maybe 10% of it

you need to have the ability to survive if you want to make films

Both.
Your first film will suck.
So will your second.
Your third might show glimpses of Brilliance.

Make three short films for 1 grand each.
Hone your skills.

Keep the rest of your inheritance in a term deposit for a while.

Then once you think your ready you can blow it all on the film.
I know it sound frivolous and foolish to make a feature, but if you're young you'll always have that. You'll be "I'm a LEGIT director" even 30 years from now.

But there's three things I want you to remember:
1. Know your audience, and keep a budget for marketing
2. 10% contingency on the production budget.
3. Post Production, like legit post-production is very VERY expensive.

(4? If you have 50... even 30k... it's easier to get people to invest in your film, because the first funding is always hardest to find.)

So, you want to know your audience. Since you'll actually be spending money on this there's no reason you can market it, sell it, make some of your money back. Maybe even break even. Also if your dream is to keep making films you got to milk the publicity of this thing for all it's worth, that's why you got to keep money and resources and always be thinking about the end game, thinking about how you're going to promote it: social media strategies, your premier, a festival strategy... get every drop of publicity you can.

sounds pretty fuckin plain dude. I think you're lacking a theme for this story, just seems to be a bunch of people killin themselves because there's no hope, we've seen this story a dozen times already. Hell, Sunshine has already done this shit. I'd find a theme or something out in space to make things interesting. From what you wrote this shit could all be happening on an arctic voyage or a long road trip. It needs something to make it special.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I'll make some shorts, keep on working s 9-5, and nothing will ever come of any of it. I'm in my early 20's now so feel like if I have the opportunity & don't take it now, then later on down the road I'll just be too bogged down in life bullshit to ever devote the time & energy needed.

The theme was the first thing I have, m8, that's not what I'm asking. It's about being born into a life you didn't ask for and guided towards a pointless existence that you can't escape and will mean nothing no matter what you do. No matter where you look for answers or purpose you will not anything. When faced with the evils the world can inflict, you can foolishly ignore it and continue hoping that things will get better and your life will mean something, or you can enjoy the temporary time you have and take advantage of the small pleasures around you. Or you can embrace hedonism and destruction, of yourself and others, because no matter what you are going to die. The story is about different reactions to objective nihilism.

Thanks user, this seems like the advice I needed. I was aware that good post production would be pretty expensive, that was actually what I was planning to really pour money into had I gone the feature path. I hadn't even thought about marketing though, kind of just expected to go the festival route.

>TFW can't come up with ideas

Look you sound smart enough that you understood that it's a lot of money to spend on something you aren't necessarily yet an expert at.

It's a lot like when people go into small business, they blow all their savings and because they have no experience the business fails. I wouldn't say give up on the film entirely, just wait a few years while like you yourself suggested you do shorts.

I can't stress highly enough how important it is to have a marketing budget and a clear promotion plan for a film. No one is going to gift you a job just because you made a film.

There's some crazy statistics how like maybe 5000 feature films get made worldwide every year, but like only 10% or something get screened or have a public release. That's because the filmmakers are too exhausted emotionally and financially after completion.

As much as it sickens me: I see a filmmaker as a brand: like a fashion designer, Karl Lagerfeld is a brand, so too is Quentin Tarantino -- they can move product and film tickets respectively based on name alone.
You need to build your brand, the good thing is that your brand is a reflection of your personality, the world view, the artistic impulse that makes you want to be a filmmaker, that's your brand: so it's rare nexus where commercialism and art overlap.

A trailer on youtube is NOT a publicist plan.
Hire a publicist or a PR firm.
Have a "launch party", pay for free drinks, invite sales agents and reviewers to the event.
That's how you build your brand, how you get known... and hopefully get paid instead of paying to make your dream come true.

I feel you there, though maybe it's just because I'm starting with this shit

>Guy walks out of a movie theater
>"That was shit, I could come up with a way better idea than that"
>Walks around struggling to think of something while people keep yelling out great premises for films, or epic cinema scenes with no context unfold behind him
>"No, no no... just nothing is leaping out at me"

2. Stole this from a Russian short story but I've 4channed it.
>This guy comes by and slaps your girlfriend's ass
>"What are you gonna do user, he slapped my ass"
>get into argument... fuck.. he's bigger than me... what do I do..
>"I challenge you to a duel!!"
>"You ever play lights off chicken!?"
>"N-Yeah."
>"Meet me at the old airfield at 10pm tonight... head to head. Winner takes all"
>"O---Okay"
>"user, you stood up for my honor... so manly... I'm gonna fuck your brains out"
>Hours go by, user gets more and more nervous, finally drives to the airfield, has a last second panic attack and drives to the next town. Rents a shitty hotel room. He's a coward.
>Stays there all weekend. Accidentally gets spotted by a friend of his girlfriend who seems to know nothing about the duel.
>Goes to sleep... wakes up Monday Morning: "user Anon... that guy who slapped your GF's ass never showed up at the airfield! He pussied out"
>"yeah yeah.. I was waiting for him.. .but he never showed"
>Wakes up again... he's still in the hotel room, it's Monday... afraid to leave incase hisGF's friend sees him... that last scene was a dream. He's a coward.
>posts on Sup Forums "This guy slaps your GF's ass... what do?"
>Hopes for answers as beta as his actions...

Is a launch party something that would need to be in a big city (i.e. NY or LA) or would that be something I could do around here (I live in Nashville)? Cause the film industry around here isn't really budding beyond like your average film school/movie nerd randos. Inviting film reviewers would probably just be local art-scene magazine writers and shit.

Guyver Dark Hero. Low budget B-Movie, but jesus christ it's got some heart to it. Really good if you like practical effects and good costume work.

3. (Writing Prompt)
>Guy walks into a cafe, nods at the barrista -- he's a regular, sees an elegantly dressed woman (red shawl around her shoulders) sits next to her
>She's busy reading the paper, has a start when she sees him
>Doesn't scream.
>"James... is that you?"
>He just sits there quiet... nods with a smile

They know one another, it was many years ago?
What is he wearing?
They were probably lovers right?
Why did they split?
Why is there no animosity?

4. (Writing Prompt)
A guy is sitting at home playing Battefront... On his wall are a whole bunch of Black Sabbath posters.
His friend comes banging on his window
>Dude... you have to come with me and see this shit NOW... like right NOW.
>What, man it's 9pm
>You have to see this, I can't show any one else this... I need to make sure it's real...

?? What did his friend find?
Is it real? If so what is it?
If not, what did he THINK he saw? What's the source of the delusions?

makes sense i suppose. Hella bleak though. Wouldn't be a story I'd ever bother watching or reading as it sounds depressing as fuck. good luck though.

>Cause the film industry around here isn't really budding beyond like your average film school/movie nerd randos. Inviting film reviewers would probably just be local art-scene magazine writers and shit.
Not him but even a tiny amount of artschool assholes could help you out here. Get in good with them, you have a whole network in there.

Depends on your "brand".
I've been thinking about this a lot recently, basically you have to know what kind of films you make as a director, what's your style... and thus who is your audience.

If your audience is Nashville, if people in Nashville are gonna go crazy for this, maybe that's where you do it. Stay small.

If you have wider appeal, or a sensibility that plays well to the New York film establishment crowd -- then maybe you got to think about taking it up there.

It's also a matter of your personal network, who do you know? What crowds and audiences to they have. If you have a film that appeals only to teenage boys, the fact that your aunt writes for Oprah magazine and is certain she can get your film reviewed probably isn't helpful. However getting a mention by a really big doom metal band might overlap really nicely.

KNOW YOUR STYLE. KNOW YOUR FANS.

This is quite true. Art Gallery openings are usually full of rich kids, somewhere in there is the one who writes for the local culture blog, somewhere is someone who's cousin is married to the big director, someone is actually the son of a rockstar but doesn't like to talk about it.

Can anyone give me feedback on this? I barely wrote the script last night for an assignment, but I don't trust the feedback of classmates and such. I'm very serious when it comes to writing and I don't feel good about this, a little too embarrassed to show this around:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B2qQVlM-BO8UMGlHUi1vU1hIRGs/view?usp=sharing

I can understand that. I know it's not stuff for everyone, and it's also edgy as fuck, but I can't do art in any other way than middle school tier nihilism, you know?

That last writing prompt immediately makes me think about aliens but there's a lot of places I could go with that.

I'm gonna do my short as originally intended I think. Early morning, a little before golden hour. Take my current aesthetic (see here: youtube.com/watch?v=fAjKEgawVtE ), tighten the editing and pacing and get to the meat of the story much quicker. I'd really like to add this one track youtube.com/watch?v=854Z-vANm6Y but I probably can't without licensing.

I'll check it in a second.

Ending needs work otherwise it's okay, especially for a comedy.

Why is Jack contemplating suicide? even if we learn at the end he was never going to jump, I just feel like you need to have it end slightly differently... I think the reason I don't like the ending is because it leaves us nowhere different than at the start.

At the start: Jack was never going to jump; Angel was fearful he was going to have another failed gig.

At the end: Jack doesn't jump; we Angel goes off to next gig -- same situation.

One of these characters has to have an internal change, like there's no reason Jack won't pull this drama queen shit again... And the Angel hasn't earn his wings because he hasn't PREVENTED a suicide, it was a false alarm.

>But that's just one anonymous person on the internet's opinion.

Read it, I kek'd a couple times, it has potential. The Jack Me-Off joke was dumb but made me chuckle.

I'd give both of them a bit more characterization, and make Jack a bigger asshole.

quick notes:
bad form to say someone "is wearing" something, say Jack wears or put it more creatively than that. Likewise, "is on top of" is bad, but you also shouldn't use "stands on top of" really. Use something more active, even if it's just "waits on top of." or better yet "Jack, [description] clenches his teeth... etc" Because of the slug line we already know he's on top of a building
you could also trim "comes out rushing" to just "rushes from the fire escape"
don't say "brendan then" just "brendan takes"
don't use "walks" 2 lines in a row, think of something more exciting
jack already clenched his teeth and hovered his foot before, find new verbs
also i think you mixed up jack and brendan at the end there
and you use "asshole" too many times in such a short script, but that might be just a me thing. other insults are out there, you know

anyway, content wise i like it and the jack me-off joke is hilarious. good little short, i would say maybe think about coming up with more of a punch for the ending (maybe brendan accidentally pushes him or something? that's probably lame, just brainstorming what i'd think about doing) but as is its perfectly serviceable and you have a good concept. nice job user

>What screenwriting program do you use
A pencil and legal pad

Do you people really use keyboards to write with? I can't grok that

hola uno farto, is your next draft almost ready to be typed up on the typewriter????

Everything this guys says about the action and description I agree with.

I do all my note taking hand to page, but when it comes to writing prose or a dialogue, handwriting is not quick enough to transcribe every sentence that comes into my brain. I will literally forget what the paragraph coming up is unless I can touch-type it at the same speed as my internal monologue.

>Editing comes later.

you guys wanna see some edgy shit i wrote when i was 15?

drive.google.com/open?id=0BxdOPvt4UK3JRDlVSHBmTDFrSEU

No.

Kind of an abrupt ending. What are you trying to say with this short? that this angel dude doesn't know how to do his job? or that this kid doesn't really want to kill himself and he just wants attention? The ending joke fell flat for me and was kind of confusing. This angel started off by doing a shit angel, so why should he be mad that someone was wasting his time? I think the tail end took an abrupt turn, didn't really buy that the angel did anything to convince him not to jump.

If this was my story I'd have this be about the Angels first day on the job. He would akwardly notice this dude about to kill himself and walk up behind him and try and pull off a recited "step back from that ledge" type story but he will mix everything up about the person he is trying to save. The suicidal man would then correct the angel and tell him that he is going to kill himself over something relatively tame. The angel then would mention what he went through while he was alive which was far worse compared to the suicidal man and how he wishes he didn't become an angel, death is over rated, you can't fuck anything, you can't eat anything, all you do is try and save retards like himself. "If I were you, I'd give this life thing another shot, being an angel is over rated! and if you haven't confessed within the last 3 months then you will go to hell to burn or to purgatory and be stuck in the nethers." The suicidal man would step back from the ledge and then thank the angel for giving him that bleak outlook on death. The angel is surprised by this and asks for the suicidal man to go confess his sins and give the angel a high rating on the "Rate my angel" option during the confession(it's a secret catholic thing, just mention it when you get there).

Do you know shorthand or are we talking just longform?

Longform.
No one ever bothered to teach me shorthand.
And my handwriting sucks anyway, so even if I could do it I'd probably fuck it up so bad as to be illegible, haha.

I'll make sure to add all that stuff once I turn this in, it had a little more detail but I could only make it 2 pages. But I'm gonna figure out a way to add some of that stuff without going over the page limit.

Yeah, I might. I wanted the character to contain his asshole self at first since he's trying to get his wings. If I make it longer I'd make him kinda argue with him and be more of an asshole.

This one is incredibly useful for formatting, thanks user. I'm not new to screenwriting but I've never been taught formatting except for what I've seen and some guides.

This helps the little details. Oh and yeah I'll keep developing this, seems like an easy short to make and I might make something out of it.

Thanks anons, you're honestly more helpful than 98% of the people I know in the field. They all just kinda tell you it's good and wouldn't change a thing. Even the professors don't have the balls to tell me it's crap, only make 1 or 2 changes, and I have a lot of crap scripts.

I got rid of a lot of stuff to make it 2 pages but I'll either make it longer or better yet, keep revising it until I'm able to fit the motivations into 2 pages.

Can someone explain something to me? Been working on my own stuff for a bit now and the one thing I keep seeing is INSERT.
I understand pretty much every other bit of lingo and formatting, but this one still baffles me.

An easy cut would be to just jump right into the angels wrong character speech. That's half a page cut. Everything before that doesn't really add anything that we won't get from that speech. Would also make for a more interesting introduction to the scene. First shot is the guy hovering his foot over the edge and the the guy himself, then bam, angel with his speech.

It's possible to improve your handwriting as an adult. I did it and it didn't take too long, about 1.5 years of practice. It's also easy to learn shorthand.

I understand, though. I used to use devices to write, back before I realized that they were preventing access to the muses.

Oh I know that...
As a kid I was sloppiest in my class.
Now people actually say "you have nice handwriting", still kinda illegible 1/10 words, but at least it ain't sloppy.

I can access the muses just fine on a keyboard though.
I think each person has to find the tool they are a natural fit for.

For you it's writing shorthand, for me it's the keyboard, different approaches for what I'm sure are different styles of writing -- that's cool!

No... no, pretty sure you don't have access to the muses. That's okay though. Everything's cool, every way of life is acceptable, you can even pretend to be a different gender if you want these days. It's all cool. But seriously, if you aren't using dictation or a pencil and pad you don't have access. I know, they told me. Excellent thread though, lots of great discussion here.

muses aren't real it doesn't matter how you write just fucking do it hemingway wrote standing up while bombs fell around him while having sex with sluts who cares

I also forgot to tell you, I'm against using too many insults and swear words in movies since they tend to sound cliche and forced. I put asshole in because it sounded the most natural in this case, though I was trying to avoid it. The only one I really wanted was "pussy" since "chicken", though still kinda funny, isn't as shocking to come out of the angel's mouth after a warm moment.

Anyways, if you guys have alternatives and suggestions to a lot of the insults and cusses, please tell me because having that in, and dialogue, are some of my weaknesses.

Also, any tips for improving dialogue besides "dialogue should build character"? I just want it to sound good instead of forced. Does it have to do with acting?

there she goes, my beautiful world

honestly if you actually shoot this you can work with your actors to make the dialogue sound a lot more natural, it's how it always goes. as for right now, i think you actually have a good ear for dialogue and the conversation is pretty well written for the most part. i agree though that it doesn't necessarily reveal much about either character, particularly jack. don't have them throw exposition, but have information naturally in the conversation. not sure how best to do that in your allotted 2 pages though, good luck man, i think you have some good stuff here and i hope if you ever shoot it you'll post it for us to see

Hopefully the actor I'm thinking about for this one isn't too bad. I used him for the 48 hour film project and he did pretty well, though the dialogue still sounded kinda cheesy, but then again it was mostly improv and he does pretty good if he's fed lines.

So honestly, I'm not too sure if the problem lies within the acting or the writing, or a combo of both and I want to see that with this short film. 4/5 of my short films have really bad acting, so much that it ruins the shorts except one where the acting kinda fits the humor of the movie.

Not looking for anyone to do my work for me, just writing prompts -- when introducing a character, how would you show to the audience that they are:
>Play dumb, they're a lot smarter than they let on
>Gregarious
>Very secure in themselves, they know who they are, probably have a lot of self confidence
and I know this contradicts a earlier trait but... but...
>Lonely

Which of these do you think are best expressed non-verbally? Are there any twofers?

>Pic unrelated