He was absolutely terrible, completely unfunny. He's like an unironic admiration for Kerouac or Salinger...

He was absolutely terrible, completely unfunny. He's like an unironic admiration for Kerouac or Salinger, this big 'avoid me' sign hung around the necks of loud, oblivious people.

and now he is leader of the alt-right
disgusting really

I agree. People ask me "can women be funny?" and I'm like "dude, can ANYONE be funny?" There's a reason there are only like two or three standup comedians who are household names. Their craft is 99.999% garbage drunk people will forget about in 20 minutes.

Stanhope is basically the same act, yet Sup Forums nu,ale fedora tippers adore him

Nah, he had lots of funny material stowed away between his musings, preaching, and pretending to get shot. His funniest stuff is stuff he's less remembered for honestly.

He really isn't at all. Stanhope is much funnier, has a more intimate and personal style, and doesn't really try to hammer home a philosophy the way Bill Hicks did. And when Doug gets on tirades he still makes them funny.

>He's like an unironic admiration for Kerouac or Salinger, this big 'avoid me' sign hung around the necks of loud, oblivious people

what

Sup Forums really is the worst board

Like an unironic admiration for Kerouac or Salinger, Bill Hicks is a big 'avoid me' sign hung around the necks of loud, oblivious people.

Yeah, apart from Bill Hicks almost made me piss myself when I saw him and Stanhope has never made me crack a smile.

#truth

ok

"ok" is not an adequate response. actually made a point. You didn't, asshole!

k

Stanhopes story about helping his mother commit suicide is the most honest, funny thing ive ever heard

DUDE CONTRARIAN OPINION LMAO

Sorry about your shit taste m8

ok

It wasn't his best special but that story is a career highlight for sure.

I can't really comment on Hicks. I would however love to see a new special with Bill Cosby after current events. The old Himself special is a friggin' classic and always succeeds to make me laugh.

Who would air it?

Who needs to air it? Post it online. TV is in it's death throes. Online is good enough and cheap.

Don't you think it might be a little unfunny?

I mean, it's going to be, if it ever happens, defensive misogynistic banter to a room of head-shaking, lip-thinning old dupes by an ancient rapist in a hoodie with an apparently permanent eye infection. Is that going to be funny - actually, I talked myself around, it would be a scream!

it would only be funny if it was full of rape jokes, he can't really pull off the uptight family man anymore

stanhope's act has jokes written into it. Bill hicks just screams attempts at undergrad college level nihilism at the audience.

The entire reason bill hicks is famous is because he broke the mold so completely on what a comic could do on the stage. Before him carlin and kinnison everyone just tried to mimick Jerry seinfelds observational style but none of those 3 were ever funny, especially hicks.

Hicks is probably the worst stand up comedian to ever get famous but he's so well respected by comics because what he did was trailblazing for so many people. Most people who list him as one of their favorites only do so because he's dead and they've heard other people say they like him though.

"hey you know when you're trying to give some pretty young thing the ol' pudding pop and HEYYOOOO, you dropped all the ruf...uh I mean kids do the darndest things"

Bill Cosby is pretty much fully blind at this point. Nobody needs that.

Cosby weaving around with a white stick, hollering 'where the honeydipssssz?!'

>Before him carlin and kinnison everyone just tried to mimick Jerry seinfelds observational style but none of those 3 were ever funny, especially hicks.
Carlin and Kinison were never similar to Seinfeld. They had styles of their own and Jerry Seinfeld was always made for cable television. I get what you're saying about Hicks though.

>Hicks is probably the worst stand up comedian to ever get famous but he's so well respected by comics because what he did was trailblazing for so many people.
He's definitely not the worst but he had that weird effect on comedy. To a lot of people comedians are expected to offer some sort of their own insight but taken to the extremes that Hicks took it often deviates from the core of comedy itself, which is being funny.

His legacy makes it easy to look past the times when he was funny.

>carlin and kinison were never similar to seinfeld

I know, that's what I'm saying. Carlin/kinison/hicks are so respected because they broke the mold while every other comic of their day was just trying to mimick jerry seinfeld because that's where all the cash was in the 80s comedy boom.

I see what you're saying. At least Kinison though, I thought he was funny until he completely bought into the notion that he was a rock star.

Yeah kinison had some good bits for sure. Him buying into the notion that he was a rockstar definitely put an end to that though, when he started playing guitar solos after 10 seconds of stand up and having fireworks and women on stage it lost all it's comedy.

Yeah that special ought to be considered the ultimate what-not-to-do example for when a standup comedian gets very famous. The spectacle was embarrassing, especially with how good he was before that. Trying to be Axl Rose the comedian was not a good move.