22yo male living at home

>both parents doctors
>sister PHd
>brother succesful lawyer

AMA

are u da niggerist

no, I'm white (British)

What are your hobbies?

What do you want to do with your life and why haven't you done it yet?

Not OP but you guys reckon you should be out of home at 22?

Are you the youngest?

I'd bet dollars to donuts you were the baby, and treated as such. You were treated more leniently and given less expectations.

Don't take it that your parents stopped caring, they probably just chilled out with you.

Guess the onus is on you to push yourself to whatever level of success you desire.

nickin chocolate goobernaughts from the corner shop, m8

I'm also not OP. I was out of the house at 16, though it was an exceptional case. I also left for a year at 14. I did not move in with a relative either.

I could not imagine being in my parents' home at 22. Hell, I'd already had 5 different jobs by then, two of which allowed me to travel around the US.

Yeah, I think it's a bit late, but maybe it works for OP. I just see that there is so much of life to experience, and sitting around at such a young age really robs yourself of those experiences. Early success and failure helped make me much more confident as an adult.

Sports, Gaming, Poetry, Film & Languages in General, I have a degree in French & am bilingual, I lived in Paris for three years but had to move home because cost of living over there was too high
I wanted to be a pro footballer (soccer) but it fell apart when i was 17, went to university and got a BA. Not 100% sure what I want, starting a Masters in September as I'd like to be a creative director for video games but that is quite an ambitious goal.
yeah I'm the youngest, by 4/5 years. My parents never put any pressure on us, but they are very chill.
I had to come home because I had to pay £27,000 more for university than my siblings because fees increased after they'd already graduated.
u wot m8?
I've already had 5 jobs and have a degree and lived abroad for 3 years.

K8 WE HAVE TO GO BACK, M8

Yeah, 27k isn't that bad. I owed 140K by the time I was 24. Did not go back to the parents. Tough road, with many years of ramen or even less. But believe me, I know I can survive anything. Hell, I've even been homeless, though I do not suggest that particular experience unless you want to train for some stupid survival show or something.

Keep in mind, I'm not judging you. I'm only telling you that 27k does not mean you MUST move back in with your parents. Probably easier though.

Hurry up and get the fuck out of Europe

forget everything in your mind about doing a job in video games. Every fucking NEET out there wants to do the same thing. Unless you have a super extremely solid portfolio built up, you have no chance at breaking in, and even if you did it would probably be shit-tier mobile apps/games.

Anyway you're 22. Do not let your family's success define you. You don't have to be a doctor or a lawyer to be successful. Just find some marketable skill (even if it's not your dream - keep your "dream" stuff as hobbies) and sell it.

are you happy>?

WE HERV TO GO BERK
I partly came home because a relative died, but also I'm doing an MSc in my hometown, so living at home is also saving me £££/$$$
I want to move & work in the USA at some point, but from the looks of things Europe is actually a better place to be atm. Get out of the UK more like. France is an incredibly comfy country, but Paris is the only place worth living in and rent is through the roof there. Used to live in a 22msquared studio that was 950€/month.
My masters is in business & marketing so i should be able to go anywhere, video games is just a strong preference. I don't want to QA/develop etc, but I definately see where you're coming from.

i mean, by all means go for it, I just went a little overboard when what I really meant was don't hitch your entire wagon to the video game stuff. My brother is in your situation but 12 years older and he's still holding out for that perfect video game job to the point where all his degrees and early experience are worthless now. Nobody wants a 34 year old who hasn't worked in a decade and has nothing to say about himself besides "I really like video games".

Paris is the only place in France which isn't comfy user.

I live in Nancy since 7 years, pretty comfy and I got 105m2 for 450€

if everyone earning well in your family then they can take care of you, enjoy

I suppose so. I'm currently in a diminishing long distance relationship which kinda sucks, and all my friends are outta town finishing their degrees (I finished mine a year early) so my social life is quite quiet. Otherwise, I'm pretty healthy, good looking and comfy in my surroundings etc. I could have it a lot worse.
thanks, that's good advice. How come your brother has been out of work for 10 years? He's living with your parents as well? It seems pretty hard to break in the industry
I lived in the XVIème
c o m f y
The smaller French cities seem a bit run down and old. That being said, I'd love to live in Montpellier/Marseille. I'm not sure about Nancy though, how big is it/what's the quality of life like?
I don't want to be taken care of, I'm fairly educated and ambitious: but, my family have been there for me thus far which has made things a lot easier for me.

yeah he quit college early, then did a couple random jobs like working at the post office etc. My parents resent the situation a lot because they don't want to kick him out but at the same time they really do but just don't have the balls.

He does this thing where he will mention some super ideal job he applied for and fixate on that for a month or however long it takes for him to get rejected, then claim he needs some time to get over the rejection. He only applies for jobs he knows he will get rejected from.

I lived in Montpellier for one year, this is a total shithole. It's just cool to go there for holidays.

Nancy isn't so big, like 450000 inhabitants I think. But it's very cheap and people are very warm here. Plus if you live in the center you can pretty much do everything on foot (except working).

But weather can be a pain in the ass (-20 in winter and +40 in Summer).

There is a shitload of heavy industries around so it's easy to find jobs in contrary to the south of France

I did this when I first came home, (worked a shit-tier job ((delivering pharmaceuticals to care homes)) and just applied to endless jobs) before I realised it was insane to keep trying when it wasn't yielding results. Sounds like a tough situation, not to be hypocritical but 34 is quite old, maybe you should have a word with him yourself, or even your parents. One of those situations with family that you have to tip toe around to avoid ruining relationships. Shame he dropped out of college, what was he studying & what do you do yourself, user?
Does sound nice, but isn't the majority of work in industry? I'm looking for more of a tertiary style job: marketing/product development etc, most of which tend to be in the bigger cities... have you ever lived in Paris? It's horrible in places but some arrondissments/parts of the banlieue are very nice

No but my brother live in the XVème, seems like a nice place.

I think you'll be able to find this kind of job in every part of this country

Keep it up buddy, keep taking care of yourself and maintain some grade of happiness... Wish you the best m8

I'm kinda in the same situation. Got pretty lucky with a supportive family (good $$$ too) and I'm studying Software Development. My dream jobs are somewhat similar maybe even the same as yours: Creative director, story director or just developing gameplay stuff for a well-known gaming company (no shitty mobile games). I look up to Blizzard, Riot Games, Firaxis and Bethesda.

i've tried. It's a codependency thing I think. Me and my other brother are out in the world and successful and we both tell my parents (just my mom actually, she's divorced) to put her foot down and get him out of there, but she just beats around the bush and never does anything definitive.

I forget what his major was originally. He went back eventually and got a BS in geology but never did anything with it aside from accumulate debt, which my parents had to pay off.

Personally I have a PhD in astronomy and am working in Germany now (first postdoc was in Zurich which was a super nice place). I turned down a position at the university of exeter for my current job but I kind of regret it.

shut the front door.
>shut the front door
I'm going to Exeter for my MSc
small world.
Still sounds like you're doing very well for yourself. After my BA I said never again but I feel like I need to do a postgrad to get to where I want in life. (a high management role. Astronomy is super cool, did you undergrad in physics or something?
Maybe you just need to take your brother out for a beer and see if that gets him talking freely about the situation and more open to your suggestions/receptive to you telling him it's time to move on. It probably complicates things that you're parents are divorced, sorry to hear that-- I hope everything works out for your family.
XVème is lovely, I used to go to place de beaugrenelle all the time, and have a friend who lives there, you should visit. Now the UK is leaving the EU I'm not sure how easy getting a job anywhere in France will be, I tried to get French Citizenship but i had only lived 3 out of the 5 necessary years needed for dual citizenship.
thanks bro, appreciate it. You too of course. Family makes the difference doesn't it. That's cool, I'd love to work for EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, but mainly CDProjektred
Yeah I know the former of which are notoriously shitty companies, but I love their games so I'm maybe naively hoping I can change things slightly. All the best man

THINK OUTSIDE THE "BOX"

Maybe you could find an english company and work in France as a "external worker"? (not sure about the translation)

For undergrad I did a double major BS with astronomy and physics (which is less impressive than it sounds - getting the physics BS only required about 4 extra courses). I started my research career as an undergrad so it was kind of decided early on in my education what I wanted to do.

I only turned down Exeter because the group leader wanted me to focus more on observations than theory which wasn't ideal for me at the time. But in hindsight I think I would have liked England more - aside from just the lack of a language barrier, it was better paying and I know more people there. Lots of my former friends/colleagues are up at the university of leeds. Also the English treated me better for being a "yank" than the germans do.

As an aside, my favorite place to visit in the England was York, that was one of my best vacations I've had so far.

Americans seem to go down very well in the UK, and I've heard vice versa. Strange about Exeter, because it's so academic and has top researchers i'd have thought it'd be theory-based rather than observation, but that's the science dept. probably. I'm going to the Business school dept which is the most funded, but even still apparently my degree is theory based rather than practical.
Can I ask what your job is now?
My sister did her masters in York, it's cold up there but apart from that it's one of the nicest cities in the country. Exeter is very similar. I'd say Exeter is better as it has more going on, and of course it's one of the nicest places in the country (except St Ives) in the summer because of the beaches and countryside.
The only thing I'm intrigued about is the uni diversity. Apparently in my year of 100 there's only 5 brits, the rest are mostly Asian with a few europeans & americans tossed in, will be strange considering Exeter where I grew up is almost exclusively white british & polish.
I have tried this, it's a lot easier said than done however
I WANTED IT CRASH KATE

it's just a standard postdoctoral research position - 2 to 3 years researching a topic of your/your advisor's choosing, with the expectation that you start becoming more independent and starting your own projects.

They do do both at the astronomy dept at exeter, but the particular position I applied to leaned more toward observation. It's rare for a department or research institute to be 100% one or the other.