Linux>All

Linux>All

Other urls found in this thread:

gocomics.com/peanuts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fuck you i use dos

this picture is accurate. as tool ressourcefull as linux is, its a mess to work with like this retarded swiss army knife thing

Why does a pocket knife have a telescoping antenna?

Yeah... You really need to find the one that suits you and takes tome time getting used to. Nicely explained.

You know... Just in case...

I'm not OP but after a few years of server admin I decided to run my laptops on Fedora and it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. Took me a few months to really get used to Gnome (I had only been using command line on the servers). Currently on Fedora 25 which has a few bugs. Would recommend it to anyone who wants to get really good with computers.

Maybe one of those telescoping magnets they sell in auto parts stores? For when you drop a bolt in a hard to reach spot.

Magnetic pickup tool.

OP here, started in high school with Mint, didn't like it, moved to Ubuntu, got used to terminal commands, didn't like GUI, moved to Xubuntu, then Manjaro and when I got accustomed to "what is what" moved to Arch and now I'm stuck with it for almost 2y.

> Not using Ubuntu

Noob

You wish.

I am a unix server admin now but used to work with redhat and it's variants. I can never get used to fedora though from redhat. Have you tried centos?

I know a lot of personal users prefer debian variants but nobody has ever been able to reasonably explain to me why. People that come from an enterprise environment will be more likely to use a red hat based distro because basically every enterprise level linux is based on it.

>Linux>All
Unless you're a gamer then it's just a utility

This is why I still use windows for personal use. I also have a windows vm on my mac basically just for notepad++ because I haven't found a mac text editor that compares and I don't like the way wine runs it.

I game on it without issues tbh

Me to, all thought I don't play that many games. Team Fortress 2, PAYDAY 2, Shadow Warrior, Civ V, The Darkest Dungeon and World of Warcraft 3.3.5a.

>when you drop a bolt in a hard to reach spot
kek

Arch Linux FTW. About to go play some civ 6 on it in a few. Though i think BNW > Civ 6

Arch and Gentoo. If you're not satisfied with them you're a retard because you build them yourself however you want.

good, i was only cutting some paper so

Except gaming...

This.

How to spot a normie who has no experience with Linux OSes whatsoever?

>Except gaming...

>Javascript isn't an autistic sjw
Missed a trick on that one

hey OP, I'm interested - could you point me in the direction of getting started with Linux please?

linux is for 40y old virgins

here OP I fixed your dumb shit

good luck finding help when you get a software problem.

gocomics.com/peanuts

your welcome

kek

www.google.com

>a software problem.
>linux

mkay fam

Nah.
Mac is just normal scissors. Great for one thing or a couple, but not really moddable or usable for anything else.

Windows is a big sharp knife, useful for the same as scissors as well as a bunch of other things besides.

Linux is a box containing all the materials you need to nmake your own knife or pair of scissors. Hope you know how to work a smithy.

Kali is Linux you newfag retard and it's not even that good for PT anymore. Just Ubuntu with plugins.

a

I think linux is good when you actually learn it but i have such a bad opinion on linux because of 90% of its users.
Every linux user i have seen is a wannabe computer mastermind,hacker,genius,posting programming stuff on facebook and thinks its cool.

you didn't even look at the chainsaw did you

Try Manjaro. Just check what kind of environment you like. I'd advise to try XFCE since you can customize it a lot.

Manjaro comes with pretty much everything out of the box and installation is basically next->next->next->finish thing. AUR is added to your "add/remove software" app so you can find every software there ever was without searching the net.

I used CentOS for my work servers but mostly version 7. My old partner got into it on 6 but I switched over to 7 so I am used to dnf, systemd, firewalld, etc now. Fedora is good to learn if you want to stay ahead of the curve. Most of it's features will eventually find their way into CentOS.

Have you ever seen Arch wiki page?

>go to linux mint page
>make a CD
>put mint CD in your drive
>test drive linux as long as you like

that is how you get started

nigger when your kid wants to learn to ride a bike are you going to give him a bunch of custom parts and be like, have fun shithead.

you probably will

Oh, good lord it says Arch Linux on her... All props to the guy comparing Cookbook with all the recipes there ever existed.

>nigger when your kid wants to learn to ride a bike are you going to give him a bunch of custom parts and be like, have fun shithead.
>you probably will

YES I WILL! And then beat him when he fails for being retarded.

Mint is the best and the only thing that will boot on my Asus laptop.
I dualboot linux and Windows but haven't touched Linux for like a month. Good for programming since installing libraries is running a single command rather than moving files, but I've long since run out of ideas on what I could code.

mint is great because it doesn't hurr durr and try to be unique

actually need to dig out my CD to salvage my wifes laptop files

Unfortunately that stage is pretty much defacto for any linux user under the age of about 26.

Most linux users who continue to use it past an "i'm so edgy look at me and my superior control over my computer" phase are not outspoken, and do not participate in fanboy wars of "my distro is better than your distro."

Why you faggots using CDs? Just make live USB with Rufus.

This.

>"my distro is better than your distro."

The worst part... In the end it all comes down to what someone's looking for in a distro in a first place.

Pick a distro: (sorted by "I'm a winfag")
ZorinOS, ZorinOS Lite, Mint Cinnamon, Kubuntu, Solus, Fedora GNOME, Ubuntu GNOME, Xubuntu

Use a distro for 2-3 days, jump onto the next one. Try at least 8 distros then decide which you want. The only single difference you'll notice is the DE. After you've picked your preference, see if you want to stick in Ubuntu/Debian, Fedora/SUSE, Arch or Solus ecosystem.

because I already have a CD
because I use mint to put OSes on computers so old they don't recognize USB boot
because I formatted the USB stick I used to have mint on because it's more useful to use for files than an OS intaller you almost never use

Why not Manjaro tho?

>because I formatted the USB stick I used to have mint on because it's more useful to use for files than an OS intaller you almost never use

MFW he has only 1 USB

or just use linux mint, realize nothing is wrong with it and there is no reason to be l33t paj33t edge fag with muh customz

because you know, some of us actually do things with our computers instead of just ricing out the OS

>pic related it's your flavor

YAW FAGGOLOWS, GET YOURSELF SOME NIGGLET PUSSY AND STOP WHINING ABOUT COMPUTER SHIT? ARE YOU SHELDON COOPER FAGGOS? IF YALL MOFUCKERS WITH YOUR NERDY VIRGIN SHIT CUM TO MY HOOD MY NIGZ WILL CRUSH YOUR SKULLZ !!!

REKT FAGGOTS !

>because it's more useful to use for files than an OS intaller you almost never use

You are aware that you just boot OS from your USB and then forma it and use it as usual right?

Even with OS it takes a few gigs of space at most. You can still use it as you would without OS on it...

Exactly, it's entirely subjective, there is no objectively "better" linux distro.
It takes people a while to grow out of being a dumbshit fanboy and realize this.

>there is no objectively "better" linux distro

mint is objectively better tho

And Gentoo and Arch elitists... Jesus fucking Christ we all get it, it's really customisable, you didn't create anything that didn't exist already.

damn you niggers are butthurt that I don't keep an old USB laying around

I mean I can make a new one in 5 minutes why would I bother to preserve it like it's the fucking grail

This. Arch Linux's wiki is freaking amazing. If you can read, you can learn Linux. Now the forums for Arch on the other hand are full of some of those 90% computer nerds with no social skills that give Linux community a bad rep. They do know thier shit though.

Arch ecosystem filled with elitists who won't help a linux newcomer

I started with Pinguy OS, moved to mint and then Arch. It's not all about the customization, for me the rolling release is the selling point. It never gets stale. One install to rule them all

I tried Arch once. Installed fine on my laptop. Then I opened Office and it had no fonts, just some rectangles instead. Decided not to mess with it and used Mint because it's easy and doesn't seem to break. Fukken X.

Manjaro has pretty good forum tho. And people are (or at least were) pretty eager to help a newfag.

In fairness it's not meant to be a transition from Windows. It meant to be an intermediate skill level product. You want elitest people go check out Slackware

You should have installed the optional packages. If you followed the wiki for after installation suggestions you would have had fonts

I use Arch as well. As you said it's as bleeding edge as they get, and customization is amazing and all, but comunity is really cancerous and elitist as fuck for the most of it.

>mac - looks toyish but does the job
>windows - simple and functional
>linux - attempts to be good at everything but fails at everything

>fails at everything

How about you use the OS for your needs.
I use MacOS for Photoshop/Illustrator/Premiere/After Effects
Windows for gaming
and Linux (curretnly Debian stretch) as my everyday OS

Sure linux can be a bitch to learn if you want specific things, but when you figure out how to do it its really nice

I used to be intimidated by grep but once you learn it the ease and power is amazing.

You have either never used Mac or Linux or are somehow stuck in 1997. Be sure to warn people about 9/11 and the Japanese Tsunami.

same, i'm still no pro at it, but i know how to use it for the things i need. and if i want something else > google it

All these "WINDOWS FOR GAMING" guys... It sounds like Windows is replaceable by a console and a cellphone.

windows has been just as good at running Adobe shit since the late 90s. once upon a time when I was in college there were some color issues but those days are long gone and there is no fucking point to illustrating on a mac these days

>boring bookworm girl
>tsundere
>lost in fantasy (not aware that pythons can be dangerous even tho there are nonvenous)
>her parents call her an accident
>like java but pretends to be cool (uses contact lenses)
>slow witted, does things she doesn't fully comprehends
>swiss army knife nerd, has abilitys nobody really needs
>pragmatic Mother
>still wets her bed
>mysterious girl
>marxist anarcho type
>workaholic who likes to do things nobody asked for (overly complicate)
>narcistic, antisocial type. Does things fast and never looks back

when i finally overcame my inhibitions and doubts i randomly chose a distro. Didnt know anything about repositories, package managers, desktop environments, shell commands etc.
It was a blindfolded jump into an unpredictable adventure that electryfied me from the very first step.
Linux gave (and still does) me new insights into OSes, Software, open source etc. It also encouraged me to learn the basics of programming. Something i was always interested in but somehow never found the starting point when using windows.

tl;dr: All you need is genuine curiosity!

I have used Adobe stuff on windows too, i just like to do it on my mabook more since i'm so used the trackpads that are quite nice.
If i make big projects of course i switch to my workstation with windows, but most of the time i make graphic stuff when i'm not at home