What did Sup Forums think of this? Finally got around to watching it and I thought it was pretty good

What did Sup Forums think of this? Finally got around to watching it and I thought it was pretty good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UnhvIevakZY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Unrefined kino.

The docking scene was goofy as fuck but the rest of it was all right. Wished I could have seen it in theaters just for the mountains scene, though.

Great movie.

>asking for the opinions of partially retarded alt right neckbeards who are so delusional they've developed unironic agendas against some movie directors, including the one who made this movie

might as well ask your dog, the answer will be equally meaningful.

I felt chills and a real sensation of awe during the mountains scene in the theater. Shit was crazy

Loved it. Best exploration movie in years, really enjoyable and great realization. The black hole was terrifyingly fascinating

They did a pretty good job. Explaining how an advanced civilization has learned how to move through time and make it cool to watch wasnt easy.

It was on the verge of falling apart at any given moment, adult Murph scenes were so fucking devoid of any depth and she was so fucking flat and generic it was beyond boring, killing off characters unecessarily because excessive drama is where it's at and also because plot said so, exposition by wise old sage, DUDE LOVE LMAO, the robots being a representation of Nolan's pathetic attempt at humour, I could go on but I did actually enjoy the movie. 7/10.

great drama
not really interesting as a scifi

the tesseract looked dope though

soundtrack was way too loud

Do not go gentle into that good night

martian didnt even try

Great film. Some have said it was Nolan's 2001. I don't know about all that but the scene when they're passing by Saturn, and you hear the thunder and rain is a scene Kubrick would have been proud of.

>he doesnt like super fast colonial space pirates

>soundtrack was way too loud

I watched it for the first time in theaters and when they were taking off from Earth, the speakers were shaking the seats. Plus Michael Caine's voice reciting that poem in the background. Pure kino.

Watching the mountain part in theaters felt like nothing ive ever felt in a movie before. This is definetly a movie you had to see in theaters to fully appreciate it.

9/10 scifi with 1/10 dialogue.

I really like this movie but the issue is pacing and editing, especially once they get to the snow planet. Back and forth between Matthew and his daughter grown up trying to get the family out of the farmhouse. It just broke up the tension and ruined the momentum. We didn't need those scenes with grown up Murph, driving around the city amidst the chaos of the dust storm. And then cutting back to Rust suffocating in his helmet. It was just too much. I like the tesseract part too but, again, going back to grown up Murph and discovering the "Eureka" moment was way too heavy handed.

It really was one of my favorite movies up until they reach the snow planet.

Typical Nolan film, having to hold the audience's hand throughout the entire ordeal while all his prententious fanboys praise for the cheap gimmicks that roped them in the first place.

>michael caine
>20 years later
>michael caine looks exactly the same but now he's in a wheel chair

Better than Batman but it's so painfully obvious how full of himself Nolan is.

When I rewatched the blu ray after experiencing it in analog IMAX I enjoyed it atleast 60% less.
You just can't see or feel the size of the movie on your tv, those aspect ratio changes, the differences between the soundtrack blasting and the sudden complete silence, the sheer scale of it.

Truly an audio visual spectacle only to be viewed in cinema.

i cried like a girl during this. time travel feels always get to me for some reason. anybody have anymore recommendations that will make me cry?

Liked it. Hated the ending. Really dislike when sci fi goes all "mystical beings did it!"

>Quiet scene with dialogue

I'll turn this up a bit on my remote.

>Spacecraft launches

Holy shit gotta turn this down.

>Traveling through space quietly.

This is beautiful, I need to turn this up to enjoy it.

>Mountains scene

Jeez what the hell? Shit is way too loud.

Is it just me or is every fucking blu-ray the same? Especially the Nolan movies. Whenever I stream/Netflix through the same speaker system it sounds fine.

Oh for fuck sake, you moron.

he was the being was he not?

Oh my god I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cried.

Fucking When he sees his Murph after all those years

Cried both times I saw it. I loved it. Mackenzie Foy is great in it too

One of the worst low iq pandering movies of 2014

The average religious buffoon in the theater has never even heard of relativity, unless that's the name of some shitty hip hop song, much less would they understand the theoretical physics of a wormhole. When you complain about the "hand-holding" in this movie you sound like either

>you're personally offended by it because you're stupid and insecure
>you think you come across as aloof and superior by complaining about scientific hand-holding in movies, when in actuality it shows the opposite because you're not smart enough to understand that most people haven't read the Wikipedia article on relativistic time dilation, even if maybe you did

>don't lemme leave murph

it definitely peaks at that scene where he's watching the messages years later, made me pretty tearful desu

>anyone who didn't need basic physics explained to them is a DOO-DOO HEAD!!!

... really makes you think

Extremly overrated and unnecasery long. Last 40 minutes is spent on explaining how did everything happen, even if there was no paradox that would prevented it all, i dont need to watch 40 minute lecture for american idiots.
Also music was too loud. I dont really see why people wank of at his music.

fuck

>soundtrack was way too loud
Reddit is down the hall and to the left.

I disagree. The movie "peaks" all over the place. There's just a ton of retarded bullshit between every peak.

The drone-chase scene was pretty perfect. The problem is before it you've got the retarded nudustbowl shit and after it you've got all MRIs in existence vanishing in less than a decade.

Basically whenever the score kicks in, you can forget about how retarded the rest of the movie is for a few moments. Then it fades away and you're left with three astrophysicists and two AIs needing a dumb redneck to explain the absolute basics of theoretical physics to them.

This film is an example of having to many irons in the fire and not knowing what to do with them, which results in an over sentimental mess that is called Interstellar. Nolan finally shows clearly his hybris in that he thinks of himself as a cinematic mastermind, in fact he´s just a hollywood pet with cheap tricks. There is nothing wrong in getting the science incorrect, a competent filmmaker manages to work around the incoherence and stil create a unified whole, Nolan on the other hand wants us to think that he understands the science behind Interstellar, but he also shows clearly that he doesn't put much trust in the audiences' intellect. This results in an over abundance of exposition which is there just to inform us of how stupid we are. The sentimentality, which is most of the time laughable, doesn't go along with the overall structure of the film because the plot is disorganized. The problem comes from the inability to transform a concept into a film without allowing the audience to interpret what they are seeing - instead Nolan tries to overwhelm us with his elitist vision and it comes out as a mess because he doesn't trust his audience, he´s lack of vision doesn't come from him not having a concept but from the inability to mediate that concept through a film, in other words: he is a bad filmmaker.

If you like this hogwash then you have to go back to your upvote forum.

>hybris

u dun goof'd

It's good if you don't think about it too much.

go back there then

or at all

BUT THE SAME CAN BE SAID FOR LIFE SO THIS IS DEEP AS FUCK

honestly it's this
I didn't have much problems with the themes of love, but it just felt out of place with the "sacrifices needed for the sustenance of humanity" theme

It's visually stunning

An unrefined gem is what I would call Interstellar, but it's definitely not as horrible as people make it out to be because their autism doesn't let them get past McConaughey telling a robot that "it's love Tars"
Even that that was simply character development for the rigid main character we started out with to grow so sentimental in a life or death journey

>An unrefined gem is what I would call
you talk like a fag and your shits all retarded

Is Nolan an Sup Forumsnime f/a/g?

I swear the basic theme of the movie was more or less the same as Gunbuster, and Inception was more or less Paprika.

youtube.com/watch?v=UnhvIevakZY

well fuck you too

Yes, it is even rumored of him doing a live action rendition of Akira

>Ghostbusters got a better tomatometer than this
I knew I couldn't trust the critics, but...
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can find roughly half the movie in asimov and the other half in hyperion.

Which is also where scifi anime steals its shit from as well.

Granted.

But the problem with calling interstellar an "unrefined gem" is the fact it's utterly reliant upon all it's flaws/roughness to achieve any level of functionality as a narrative.

For instance, if anyone in the movie was remotely intelligent, there wouldn't be any hollywood drama at all.

>there is no way a planet subject to 99.9% time dilation is habitable, so that must be a false positive

also all the technology necessary to create and maintain functional ecosystems in space is less advanced (without even counting the propulsion systems) than the technology necessary to create functional biodomes on earth.

>future space sci fi movie

it's about corn

So was The Informant.

some how a movie about lysine price fixing managed to be more engrossing than a movie with space ships going through wormholes

Especially in the IMAX theaters if you were so lucky.

Some interesting, and some beautiful cinematography/visual effects, mostly undermined by poor dialogue and poor editing of said dialogue, coupled with Nolan's obvious disinterest in said dialogue (which takes up half of the film)

Charming practical effects, and consistent use of security camera like camerawork, which popped up as blobs of a tangible aesthetic in an otherwise, and I use the word seriously here, autistic and sterile film. Not just the concept, but the feel of these practical effects are the only thing that makes these films "Nolan", and saves them from being pure Hollywood trash.

The sterility, which when deployed correctly can be excellent, never achieved the elevated coolness of 2001, with which I am resistant to draw comparisons. I only do so to point out the comparison is superficial (not always a bad thing either).

The score reinvigorates the old form cathedral organ , and captures some of the epic that Nolan wanted to achieve, but not all of it. This is more saving grace than it is crowning glory.

The screenplay was poor, and badly needed to be rewritten by someone who could inject some life into Nolan's stilted actor direction. The dialogue was woefully trite, and Nolan could not get his actors to work with it well.

Overall, the film was interesting enough that I watched it more than once. The imax experience is overwhelming, and I was a little suspicious that it was compensatory, and not simply complimentary. Directors often argue that their films are designed to be watched a certain way, and if you don't see it that way, you have not seen the film. I beg to differ. Watching t at home I didn't have to analyse too deeply to see what I was watching fall apart.

Nolan was swallowed by this film, and the results were shallow.

"MUH LOVE TRANSCENDS THE UNIVERSE"

really makes you go hmm

It was shit

What is this mountain scene? I only saw it once a while ago but I don't remember any mountains other than the weird grey ones on Mann's planet

The water mountains and they realize the beacon the ship they followed a year behind had just crashed minutes ago due to timey wimy physics

Anyone remember that scene where Cooper and Mann have an awkward slap fight ?

I feel like we should talk about it more

>ITT
We do not circlejerk over Nolan here.

There's a 50/50 shot you break your helmet too

> now those are the best odds I've had in years

Idk sonetimes I like nolan dialogue :3

>water mountains
...you mean the waves?

water planet was fantastic

You really do, it's just negative circle jerking instead of positive circle jerking. You're probably a teenager if you think that's any better.

>website wars meme spammer drone

oh boy

I don't think you know what circlejerking is, reddit, but saying that is a contradiction since you do it all the time on /r/movies :^)

same.
loved that dialogue.

Oh yeah, that was a great scene. I think this movie really skimped on the planetary exploration though, I didn't care about Murph and Coopers relationship nearly as much as I cared about the mission to save earth.

>:3
Please go back to your cancerous shithole

>superpowerful humans from the far future that have transcended into nigh omnipotent multimensional beings
>so powerful they can control gravity and time, and shit like creating pocket dimensions and wormholes is piss easy for them
>the only way for them to send a message to their past selves, was to make a guy communicate in morse code with his daughter by messing around with the books in her shelf

ffs

I thought it was incredible Tbh and actually pretty underrated. Awesome visuals, great performances and a fantastic soundtrack.

Nolaned.

1/10

I cried when he watches all the video logs of his family growing up.

Docking scene completely BTFO's anything from sci-fi in years.

>MFW those fifth dimensional humans transcended into big guys

This. The next most kino sci fi scene is the piano recietal scene from gattaca

They call them mountains first retard, hence, water mountain

Kys asap

But then they corrected themselves.

If you mistook a cat for a dog would you call it a catdog from that point onward?

>Wished I could have seen it in theaters just for the mountains scene

In fact, the real question is whether or not you would continue to call it a cat. Seems like you would.

MUH LOVE IS THE STRONGEST FORCE

>emoticon triggered

He's a fag, but you're a loser :3 :3 :3

I am autismus maximus generalisimo of the faggot legions and armchair general of the armies of the shitboard

this movie has made me cry multiple times because of the "stay" part of the story

>so powerful they can control gravity and time
but to what extent and for how long
creating pocket dimensions and wormholes is piss easy for them
where was it said to be easy?
>the only way for them to send a message to their past selves, was to make a guy communicate in morse code with his daughter by messing around with the books in her shelf
sounds plausible. think about the first telephone conversation... and telephones are simple as shit

and thats without even getting into the possibility of you being right but them doing it very selectively to not fuck up the universe

Okay.

Now I understand.

Who else /criesalot/? I didn't even like the end but I cried like three times during this movie

>calls the most intense scene in the movie flawed
I see your reverse psychology you shill

I came for young Murph. Ahem...

Its kino. I love it.

Nolan would be great if he paid someone to slap him every time he tried to do something retarded.

>image.jpg
It's impossible. No... it's necessary.

Lmfao I remember Sup Forums hated this movie when it came out

netflix audio is compressed for streaming, bluray isn't

You're going to get a menagerie of answers on here, but I love Interstellar. I don't 'love' a lot of films, but in my mind, Interstellar earns a perfect 10. Is it without it's flaws? No. But what it does right makes up for any flaws I could think of.

Definite top 5 film for me. Soundtrack itself is #1 in my book.

>it earns a perfect 10
>is it without flaw?
>no
Where you dropped on the head as a child?

I'm a movie crier, but in a very untraditional sense. Sad stuff like death or traditional "tear-jerking" moments in movies rarely get me to tear up. What DOES get me, though, is when I find symbolism or imagery in the film can apply personal (especially religious) meaning to.

In Interstellar, it was when Coop was embracing Murph on the bed and she asks "When?" and she's crying, and he's holding back tears and the music is swelling, and then shortly after, the rocket takes off. I teared up there. One, because of the literal context in the story, but two, I managed, in my own convoluted way, to apply Christian meaning to it.

Cried at the "Messages from Home" part. Just because of Matthew McCounghehreouh's acting.

Then when Murph is in the hospital bed, and they have this exchange:

>"I knew you'd come back."
>"How?"
>"Because my dad promised me."

Tears all over the place.

Did you literally stop reading that post half way through?

Too stupid to realize that the "mystical beings" were humans? They even said it. It was literally in the dialog of the movie.

One of the worst low test shit posts of 2016

>had just crashed minutes ago due to timey wimy physics
shit I still get chills thinking about it. It was such an awesome movie.

>I'm a movie crier, but in a very untraditional sense. Sad stuff like death or traditional "tear-jerking" moments in movies rarely get me to tear up. What DOES get me, though, is when I find symbolism or imagery in the film can apply personal (especially religious) meaning to.
>
>In Interstellar, it was when Coop was embracing Murph on the bed and she asks "When?" and she's crying, and he's holding back tears and the music is swelling, and then shortly after, the rocket takes off. I teared up there. One, because of the literal context in the story, but two, I managed, in my own convoluted way, to apply Christian meaning to it.
You are without a doubt the biggest fag I've ever seen on Sup Forums.