Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qgWZcqAecTg
youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc
youtube.com/watch?v=oSjVAIYPoG4
youtube.com/watch?v=WxzNSEyQfAw
youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4ge8iOcoY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not entirely.

Sgt peppers went number 1 in the UK and I think number 3 in the US a few months ago so hell no.

Hopefully

massive evidence of rock's death
also massive evidence of rock's never being alive

Myyy myyyy, heyyy heyyyy
Rock n roll is here to stayyyyy

no

rock survives but possesses literally no innovation. Kids nowadays don't think rock is cool, and kids are the people who innovate genres and cause movements. Kids think rap/r&b/edm is cool. thats why they are so prevalent.

if someone made rock cool again and influenced a generation of kids to pick up guitars again, then it would be alive

Remember when the Strokes saved rock? Heh, good times.

music is dead

But as a genre it's not moving forward anymore is it?

is rock dad

Lots of kids here like Mac Demarco there's a big indie rock scene here. It depends where you live I guess.

THE FACT THAT

It's not dead, it's just not mainstream anymore.

not really it just needs another revolution

DeMarco has nothing to do with rock, he's indie pop. The Rock teens listen to today is mostly Pop Punk. And browsing through the top albums for 2017 on rym, there's actually a pretty large amount of Technical/Progressive Metal.

It is, it's just not mainstream anymore.

Rock in not dead. These threads are retarded.
Are other forms of music extremely popular? Yes. There will always be people listening to and making rock music.
Quit playing stupid just to get (you)s.

parquet courts
protomartyr
qotsa
tyvek
shellac
ultimate painting
ty segall
mogwai
sleater kinney
ought
thee oh sees

i could go on.

Rock needs a figure to prosper. Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, along that line.

All we got these days are bunch of limpdick hunched back indie kids who just sing sappy songs and use pedals as crutches for their gimmick emo band. That's not gonna inspire anyone.

Recently went through QotSA's discography after loving Kyuss.
Instantly became one of my all time favorite bands. Loved everything, especially Song for the Deaf and Like Clockwork.
So good.

>Recently went through QotSA's discography after loving Kyuss.

aye if josh isn't a proper towering rock figure then who the fuck is

I love Queens of the Stone Age and Sleater-Kinney, but they shouldn't be used to defend rock being alive. They're out of the decades they dominated and riding on their last wheels at this point when it comes to still influencing acts.

That being said, arguing rock is dead is still pathetic.

Fucking agreed, he's easily my favorite guitarist of all time.

Queens of the Stone Age isn't really rock anymore

QotSA is releasing a new album this month, it's a valid point.
Doesn't matter whether they're influencing others or not.

What

tyvek is the greatest american rock band going.

youtube.com/watch?v=qgWZcqAecTg

also, rock is dead?

youtube.com/watch?v=FrMacbbLxuc

If you liked them check these guys out. They sound pretty close to them honestly.

It's got a pulse.

i looked at the top charts for rock music on itunes just to see what was happening and almost the entirety of the top 40 was music from the 20th century. If thats not the sign of a dead or stale genre i dont know what is

youtube.com/watch?v=oSjVAIYPoG4

Nah, younglings are bringing it back =°)

>i looked at the top charts for rock music on itunes just to see what was happening and almost the entirety of the top 40 was music from the 20th century. If thats not the sign of a dead or stale genre i dont know what is

why do you give a flying fuck about charts?

>mogwai
>qotsa
>shellac
I love em but they're older than you are

Don't forget about these guys.

wrong again

very true. i'll add some new stuff in

naomi punk
flat worms
HEALTH (do they count? i feel they count)
solids
weed
happy diving
arctic monkeys (i mean anything past their second album is pretty meh but they are still huge)
Soccer Team
TRAAMS
Fucked Up (first album is best)
Beauty Pill (even though they haven't done a ton of stuff lately)

rock's not dead, it just smells funny

this is great also

theyre pretty representative whats popular within a genre. y'know, like for the one thing theyre designed to do.

Which top 40 are you looking at?

I check "is rock dead" threads every time and haven't found any good new music from them
guess its dead

implying sweaty niggers, hippies, punks, don't all smell funny

i think he's saying that its become rotten like old fish

we need new fish

pissed jeans
krause 2am thoughts
king gizzard & the lizard wizard
screaming females
acrylics
swain
whores
mount eerie

Indie rock, noise rock, shoegaze, etc all have huge scenes bro. You're the equivalent of people in the 80s saying rock is dead because no one makes music like the beatles... Gotta keep up with the scene.

Those are just your labels.

The problem is you're looking for something "along that line" instead of looking for the new line. Although you're right. There isn't a single stand alone band that's coming up with all time great material right now, but theres still tons of good songs.

I just turned 17 (plsnoban) and my biggest influences are king crimson and jethro tull. In fact, I would argue that rock is going to make a comeback, after everyone gets sick and tired of all the trashy pop music

Like Clockwork was the most rocking rock album of 2013

Sure, the recent single was soft, but early reviews say the new album as a whole rocks out.

QOTSA have been my all time favorite since I was 12 (I'm now 20), and both them and EODM will stick with me for life. Josh Homme is a genius

TCV is a classic too

it is completely and utterly BTFO & dead. there is literally no point to making rock music anymore.

>I just turned 17 (plsnoban)
idiot

Yeah, it's dead honestly. and that's not a recent phenomenon either. Look at the most popular rock genres of the 2000s and early 2010s.

>Post-Punk Revival
>Garage Rock Revival
>Post-Grunge
>Nu-Metal
>Alternative Metal
>Pop Punk
>NuGaze
>Dream Pop
>Indie Pop
>Twee Pop

Literally all of the above were just revivals, rehashes, or continuations of genres that have already existed for decades. Everything that can be done in rock (and by extension, metal) has been done already.

youtube.com/watch?v=WxzNSEyQfAw
>uploaded 3 weeks ago
It's definetely not.

No it just smell funny

traditional rock with guitars and stuff is dead. Soundcloud rappers are bringing it back by mixing it with rap. Right now the mixture is shit but thats due to lack of lyrical content. Its a matter of time until someone works on that.

rap is dead also.

>I just turned 17 (plsnoban)

Music has been dead ever since it became mainstream in 1910

Rock reached the height at 80's - 90's.

Only dead in terms of mainstream appeal. Rock thrives in danger and rebellion. Seeing as how people are sick of sjw shit, or Trump presidency, it can go either way. It all depends on whats the rave in the underground scene.

Speaking of the underground rock scene, does anyone know what's all the rave? From what I hear, it's shitty queer leftis virtue signalling.

Why do you people give a shit what is mainstream? Oh no, boring corporate rock isn't mainstream anymore, I can't possibly deal with the ascension of boring corporate hip-hop in its place!

bump

Seriously, let the kids listen to the mumble crap, all fine by me.

>Everything that can be done in rock (and by extension, metal) has been done already.
How could you have possibly concluded that?

Because he can see in the future obviously.

YOU TEll me bro bro

deader than dead

that's not rock lmao

As a vital and current cultural force on a popular scale? For the most part, yeah, I think so. It's more like a smaller folk form now for Americans and some Anglos.

Unless you are of the view that "rock" in some looser sense transmogrified into hip-hop. Which I personally wouldn't quite say. I think you should allow each thing to be its own thing.

>For the most part, yeah, I think so.

(I think so that it is dead, I mean. As a big force.)

top quality post

I thought they weren't marks.

Name 5 groundbreaking and innovative rock albums from the past 10 years. 2007-2017. I'll wait.

naah it's just dad

Hopefully we can revive it soon. I'm fucking sick of rap and hiphop now.

That's not what I was arguing.
>Everything that can be done in rock (and by extension, metal) has been done already.
How can you two even pretend to know that? Here are some contenders, although not entirely rock albums:
>Magma - Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré
>Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde
>Mendelson - Mendelson
>Komara - Komara
>Aranis - II
>Kormorany - La musica teatrale

>not entirely rock albums:

you just proved my point. and random albums by literally whos don't count

Rock died with cobain

>Only "rock" bands who achieve chart placement matter
Why did I even bother?

Oh, and by the way, I'm waiting on your dissertation for the claim that nothing innovative is left for rock music.

ITT: We ask questions that have obvious no answers because OP is autistic

If you think rock is dead that means every genre except R&B/rap/edm is dead too

I want middle schoolers to leave

>fullquoting

He's not wrong, tho. Nirvana was the last universally acclaimed rock band. Other bands have been big, but never reached Nirvana or any other legendary rock band's popularity since.

what... why?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zm4ge8iOcoY

>no

Oasis in England were way bigger than Nirvana was in America.

Rock hasn't had a real masterpiece in a while. The biggest albums to come out of the 10s so far were MBDTF and TPAB, both hip-hop. Honestly, for a real classic rock album, you probably need to go back to the nineties.

Seems like rock artists just aren't innovating any more.

>implying Limp Bizkit weren't as big at the turn of the millenium
>also implying Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Muse etc didn't get astronomically huge

>universal acclaim.

No one fucking knew of oasis until wonderwall came out, even then they were only big in america for a small time. The grunge movement was fucking huge and had influence not only in rock, but around the world as well.

ROCK IS DEAD
AND NO ONE CARES
IF THERE'S A REDDIT
I'LL SEE YOU THERE

Yeah, but you could argue there was a period in the 80's when rock was dead in the same way, sterile, without innovation, and riding hard on the wave of more successful acts in the previous decades. Of course rock was still a cultural juggernaut then, and it isn't now.

I think that there is a future to rock, it'll come from a lot more experimentation into electronic rock hybrids.

I know you're shit posting but I'm sure there's kids out there who think this is rock.

God, Imagine Dragons sucks.

There's post-rock at least.

No, it's just very different now. Try listening to newer post-rock albums