What the fuck happened to Australian cultural output?

What the fuck happened to Australian cultural output?

It's like we don't produce anything of value anymore beyond tediously fake reality TV shows that are thinly veiled advertisements for Home Hardware, Woolworths etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/RM4VhmoUHFQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well if you're using Round the Twist as an example, we do still make plenty of children's tv shows. Whether they're better or worse is debatable but we still make them at least.

I saw a movie about a dog that saved penguins.

this is now a nostalgia thread
youtu.be/RM4VhmoUHFQ

thank you aussies

>reality TV shows
you answered yourself

i loved pic related when they showed it on me telly. Razorback and Yahoo Serious' movies too

This is very true. So much of the cheap children's shows we show on tv is from Australia. Wicked Science, Parallax, like three separate shows about surfing, a couple about horses. Though nowadays various versions of american channels kinda have them beat since they can show high budget cartoon shows and such.

Hnnnnggggg Straya you bastard
i literally grew up with that
fukkin GOLD, also Sky trackers, Mirror Mirror

Straya i fapped to original Linda
no shames there

Fucking thank you for this thread
you are a mate

infact i am gonna watch those again very soon
just for the memories

Also where is Petra Jared?
has she done any recent work?
would love to know

Tracey McBean is pretty cute.

Theres some documentary about why the Australian film industry died in the ass, it's called Ozploitation or something. Not sure why it died.

Television died in the ass because Australians are risk adverse to an absurd degree so when Commerical television found something that they could produce for cheap and had high returns, they literally abandoned anything and everything else.This is why all of Commercial FTA is reality TV and syndicated reruns of 80s and 90s American television. Because of rules of advertising to children as well, Commercial Television will refuse to show kids shows because it's actually a net loss.

Australia still produces good music despite the Government doing it's best to utterly fuck the music scene in Australia.

It's actually maddening that Australia and Switzerland are the richest real countries in the world but culturally bankrupt.

Switzerland has hundreds of years of history. Australia wasn't a country when my town was founded

>died in the ass
kek
Gotta start using this phrase.

I say this completely and totally honestly.

Most Australians would be perfectly fine if Australia was some Stalinist totalitarian country if it appealed to NIMBYism and risk aversion.

Australians will sacrifice any right under the name of "safety" and will actively attack and destroy any organic culture under the name of NIMBYism.

Pub has been there 150 years, developers build next to it and the new residents complain? Guess who gets shut down. The idiots that moved next to a live music venue?
Even the fucking SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE is being forced to lower it's volume because they built apartments next to it and all of those people in apartments have been complaining about noise.

Australian cities have things called Lockout laws, basically, they force clubs and bars to close at 1-2am and make everyone go home. Want to know the official stated reason by the government

>"Because mums and dads in the suburbs are worried about what their young kids are doing when they’re having a good time,” she continued. “And you don’t wanna stay up — well, I mean parents stay up worrying anyway. But you wanna make sure you’ve got a government in action that’s really thinking about what we can do to keep kids as safe as [possible] and also send the right message.”

Literally, they consider 20+ ADULTS going to NIGHT CLUBS as "Children". it's literally a nanny state.

And the most depressing thing? Polls show most Australians support the lock outs and accept this reasoning.

Australia is literally the country equivalent of a retirement village or gated suburbia. Nice place to live a quiet and relaxing life, but utterly devoid of any culture or excitement whatsoever. I've literally been in country towns in Europe and America that had better night life than Sydney or Melbourne.

>they force clubs and bars to close at 1-2am and make everyone go home
b-but the party has barely started. here they close 5-7am

Jesus. I heard similar complaints about New Zealand too.

Just cuck my shit up. When did we become such weak sissy poofters?

>And you don’t wanna stay up — well, I mean parents stay up worrying anyway
They're probably worried because they got to experience it all themselves when they were younger and know what it's like. Their parents probably just didn't give a shit. Fun-stifling faggots.

uhh summer heights high??? angry boys??? too bad of all the HBO shows the best one was made by new zealanders. new season of flight of the conchords when.

they discovered reality tv was where the money was

funding hasn't changed, the TV stations just don't want to fund aussie dramas or whatever anymore

this is literally just Sydney only

Australian culture has lots of unique points, you just don't know what they are because you haven't been here Tbh

Australian culture is based in capitalism. It can't compete with its much larger and more experienced competitors in the US and UK in this regard.

>Australian """culture"""

so do ones in every single state except New South Wales, even shitholes like South Australia and Tasmania

yeah m8